PDA

View Full Version : playing online

mr.fizzypop
2008-10-03, 02:49 PM
I've been hereing about people playing dnd and other rpgs online and was wondering: How? Do they use skype or another program? By IMing? I'm really clueless here.

AstralFire
2008-10-03, 02:54 PM
AIM Chat (not the one-on-one IM) contains a built-in dice roller, so it's a popular method.

TheThan
2008-10-03, 03:00 PM
There’s also the play by post method, which works great for Rping, but not so great for combat.

ocato
2008-10-03, 03:02 PM
I used to keep up with my friends playing with a webcam and skype. They'd play and set the cam up facing the board and it was like I was there with them, except instead of me, a terribly robotic doppelganger with the mac apple on it's chin.

AstralFire
2008-10-03, 03:03 PM
Apple on your chin? For shame, what are you, two years old?

*motherly napkin attack*

TheThan
2008-10-03, 03:08 PM
Apple on your chin? For shame, what are you, two years old?

*motherly napkin attack*

I just LOLed.

sonofzeal
2008-10-03, 03:53 PM
IRC also works well, as you can have all sorts of custom dicebots, but mostly the groups I'm in use MSN or play-by-post on a forum. IRC/MSN is a little slower than IRL but gives you a bit more time to think and phrase your dialogue more carefully, and generally leads to a bit more roleplaying than I've found in meatspace. PbP is a VERY slow format where things tend to take ages, especially combat, but lends itself brilliantly to monologues and very dominant, flavourful characters.

ColdSepp
2008-10-03, 03:54 PM
I use Maptools and Ventrillo.

Ravyn
2008-10-04, 08:51 PM
I favor AIM, since it autologs and allows me a full set of customizable colors that actually stay in the saved log files (since I have NPCs out the ears, the colors are necessary). I've used Vent, but mostly for piping music through to add to the ambiance.

Grayraven
2008-10-05, 02:50 PM
the way we have been doing it lately is with google documents (for maps and notes) and skype. the people we play with are long long time friends so we dont bother with online dice rollers just trust what they say they are rolling is true. so far its a great way to play since one of our friends lives in italy and another is living accross teh country.

Glyde
2008-10-05, 02:54 PM
Great method right here: http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro

Raum
2008-10-05, 04:07 PM
I've been hereing about people playing dnd and other rpgs online and was wondering: How? Do they use skype or another program? By IMing? I'm really clueless here.There are a variety of methods falling into three basic categories: Not real time email
bulletin boards Real time chat IM
IRC
Virtual Table Top (VTT) software Fantasy Grounds
MapTools
Battlegrounds
GRiP
OpenRPG Voice Ventrillo
Teamspeak
Conference lineYou're not necessarily limited to one type either, many combine voice with a VTT.