PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weapon Proficiency [a use full feat]

kopout
2008-10-03, 09:27 PM
Improvised Weapon Proficiency [general]
Flavor text. no more need to worry about a penalty for using what ever is at hand as a weapon
Benefits:you can use improvised weapons at no disadvantage

just what it says on the box lades and gents. reactions?

AstralFire
2008-10-03, 09:55 PM
...Not much to say, really. It's not broken, it's pretty simple. -shrug-

Xallace
2008-10-03, 10:01 PM
...Not much to say, really. It's not broken, it's pretty simple. -shrug-

Ditto that. It'd be fun to have, though.

What about a version that lets a Fighter take his Fighter-y feats with (Improvised Weapon)?

Wait, can Fighters already do that?

SurlySeraph
2008-10-04, 12:55 AM
Ditto that. It'd be fun to have, though.

What about a version that lets a Fighter take his Fighter-y feats with (Improvised Weapon)?

Wait, can Fighters already do that?

Well, if I understand the wording correctly an improvised weapon is treated as the normal weapon that it is most similar to, except that it receives a -4 penalty to attack rolls and only has a 20/x2 crit. So you can have weapon focus (mace) and apply it to a chair, if your DM rules that a chair is more similar to a mace than to any other weapon. I don't think you can have Weapon Focus (improvised weapons) by RAI, but there's no rule that says you can't.

Icewalker
2008-10-04, 01:56 AM
I thought this feat already existed...

Kyace
2008-10-04, 02:27 AM
I thought this feat already existed...

The closest thing I can recall is the Throw Anything feat, which lets you throw any melee weapon as if it were a throwing weapon. Improvised Weapon Proficiency is better than Throw Anything because any thrown melee weapon is technically an improvised weapon, so you get more than twice the benefit for one feat. Another detail you might want to clarify, would this apply to exotic weapons too, if so, this would be very over powered.

For Improvised Weapon Proficiency, I'd say reduce all non-proficiency penalties to -2 instead of removing them all together.

Any player who takes this feat is likely to keep trying out new improvised weapons until they find the one that deals the most damage that the DM will allow.

Icewalker
2008-10-04, 02:50 AM
I believe improvised weapon damage is always based on the closest actual weapon, so you couldn't actually get any more damage output than you could buying a real weapon.

Xallace
2008-10-04, 11:36 AM
I believe improvised weapon damage is always based on the closest actual weapon, so you couldn't actually get any more damage output than you could buying a real weapon.

Unless you're using Complete Warrior, if I recall correctly. I believe they give a chart on how to determine damage based on an object's weight... It's somewhere near the back, but unfortunately, that's the one Complete book I don't own, so I cannot check to be sure.

Also I think certain classes increase Improvised Weapon damage. Drunken Master comes to mind, as does Street Warrior from Urban Arcana (d20 Modern).

Kroy
2008-10-04, 11:55 AM
I think it should probely decrease the penalty to -1, but thats just my two cp.

kopout
2008-10-04, 10:08 PM
all suggestions noted however it was never meant to be a weapons focus but a weaponsproficiency (in my mind at least proficiency= no penalty focus = enhancement) all the same good feed back