PDA

View Full Version : Member Ranking

praguepride
2005-03-10, 03:17 PM
I dunno know abou the rest of you, but going from pixie straight to dwarf in the playground?? That's a pretty big gap. There should at least be haflings in the playground, maybe goblins. And then between dwarf and barbarian we could have human, elf...maybe not elves, but then like, gnolls in the playground... maybe i'm just too much of a dork. Anyway, any responses?

White Blade
2005-03-10, 03:18 PM
Yeah, your weird.

Edalmri
2005-03-10, 03:29 PM
Wait, you have a problem with the pixie -> dwarf thing but not the barbarian rank? It's not even a race!

RawBearNYC
2005-03-10, 03:39 PM
The Message Board sofware only allows 5 rankings, so you'll have to live with the big jump, sorry.

SalSar_Thiran
2005-03-10, 10:40 PM
Well could they all be races then? I mean you are pixie then dwarf then (I guess) a dwarf barbarian then an ogre then (logically) Giant.

White Blade
2005-03-10, 11:00 PM
Actually, there is supposed fifth level for those of us mere mortals who reach it, which happens to be a mission of mine. I just hope I get there first, then I can request the giant proclaim the new rank in the FAQ, and let me brag about it on an exclusive thread... or he could just put my name in the FAQ I'm not picky ;)

clarkcd
2005-03-11, 03:04 AM
then (logically) Giant.

Aparently you didn't use logic since you failed to realize that there is only one giant in this playground. :P

I just hope I get there first

I bet if you keep on spamming you'll get there all the faster. ::)

praguepride
2005-03-11, 07:28 AM
Well could they all be races then?

He does make a good point though. There are plenty of species between dawrf and ogre, just like there are lots of things between 4 and 8ft tall :D Some suggestions:
Gnoll in the playground
Elf in the playground
Orc in the playground
Bugbear in the playground
Hobgoblin in the playground
Skeleton in the playground

Just off the top of my head for now...

Edalmri
2005-03-11, 08:53 AM
Zombie! Whoo! I wanna be a zombie in the playground! Brains.... Wait, no that's not right. Spammers... ;D

Ikkitosen
2005-03-11, 09:04 AM
I'd argue that skeletons or zombies are, in fact not races or species. After all, ever seen a hill giant skeleton between 4 and 8 feet tall? ;)

Edalmri
2005-03-11, 09:39 AM
Stop messing with my dream! :'(

White Blade
2005-03-11, 03:02 PM
I bet if you keep on spamming you'll get there all the faster. ::)
I don't spam for your information... (at least, not anymore.)

SalSar_Thiran
2005-03-11, 03:28 PM
Aparently you didn't use logic since you failed to realize that there is only one giant in this playground. :P

Well then how about troll as the final race?

White Blade
2005-03-11, 03:33 PM
I'm betting either ogre mage, or minotaur, possibly centaur.

pumpkinetics
2005-03-14, 02:16 AM
Hmmm... or maybe TITAN in the playgeround!

Maybe that's a little too far...

Grey Watcher
2005-03-14, 02:24 AM
I propose that, until someone makes it there, we just call the unknown fifth title "Big Thing in the Playground."

Edalmri
2005-03-14, 09:02 AM
Which is precisely why it's going to be a mephit. You'll see...you'll all see! Mwahaha!

Ikkitosen
2005-03-14, 02:22 PM
Or "Thing in The Playground that is larger than an ogre but smaller than a giant", in all likelyhood ;).

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 05:07 PM
Hmm...maybe Troll in the Playground...Are trolls bigger than ogres?

White Blade
2005-03-14, 05:15 PM
Giant can mean anything from hill giants to cloud giants or death giants or well you get the idea

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 05:22 PM
Golem in the Playground? A golem could kick an ogre's ass...

Edalmri
2005-03-14, 08:52 PM
So could some barbarians or dwarves. Combat prowess probably isn't the pattern here.

White Blade
2005-03-14, 09:25 PM
Half-Giant in the playground?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 11:11 PM
Thats a little...cliche...for lack of a better word. Maybe some celesital being "in the Playground?" I don't have my MM with me, so I can't pick out some good ones and I doubt some people would like to be ranked after lower-planed creatures

White Blade
2005-03-14, 11:21 PM
How about: OOTS Member in the Playground/...
or Lich in the playground
or dragon in the playground

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 11:33 PM
I like Lich in the Playground...but i bet some people would take opffense to being evil...how about...

Gnome in the Playground!!!!

White Blade
2005-03-14, 11:34 PM
I'm not shrinking >:(

Edalmri
2005-03-15, 08:55 AM
Might want to stop posting, just in case. You never know what treachery those gnomes are brewing...

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-15, 06:19 PM
heh...heh...heh Mua...ha...hahahahahahaha!

We'se is tricksey gnomes!!

If I remember correctly, in 2e there was a verbeeg which was the weakest of all giants and was actually considered giant-kin...I don't know if they still exist...

Also, if barbarian is a plausible title...why not let people choose a class like "Wizard in the Playground"

Or...Wyrmling in the Playground...nah, to weak

White Blade
2005-03-15, 06:33 PM
How about just 'Dragon in then playground'?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-15, 06:38 PM
But Dragons eat Giants for lunch, and I doubt Rich wants anyone to seem more powerful than he...

hmmm...whats bigger than an ogre...hmmm

Dire Elephant in the Playground?

Edalmri
2005-03-15, 08:14 PM
Ogres are way cooler then elephants. Easier to kill too.

Zherog
2005-03-15, 09:11 PM
I think we should reset everybody's post count back to zero and start over.

http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/angelhidetail.gif

White Blade
2005-03-15, 09:56 PM
How about not.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-15, 10:23 PM
Speaking of Ogres, welcome to the club Edalmri!!!

Wooly Mammoth in the Playground

(I hope this isn't all considered spam)

Edalmri
2005-03-15, 11:14 PM
Out of curiosity, do you have stats for a woolly mammoth? It may or may not come up in a game I'm DMing.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-15, 11:41 PM
Maybe if you apply a mild form of the dire template to the elephant.

clarkcd
2005-03-15, 11:54 PM
How about not.

Why not?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 12:00 AM
Obviously White Blade is proud of his high(est) post count and would hate to be shot down to such a level as ourselves, and on even footing no less.

White Blade
2005-03-16, 12:02 AM
Because, I like my post count and its not hurting anyone so why cause Rich/Raw bear the trouble?
Aside, reseting the post count will confuse people. I remember being around when I instantly paid attention to ANYONE with three stars, its like I suddenly knew right off the back "this person is worth listening to" which I had a lack of the ability to do so without implications to do so, I just sorta glazed over it. I recall you were one such person as well.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 12:05 AM
It is true, I did once favor the opinions of one with more stars over another with less stars... And if you reset the pot count, it would no longer be quite an honor to have a high post count, it would just mean you are more of a spammer than another person

I know that you, White Blade ahve been around for a while simply because of you post count, and thus I think of you as a dedicated fan of OotS

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 12:08 AM
Isn't that the entire point of the post count though, to let other people know how active you are on the boards? And how much free time you have, but that's sort of based off of the first anyway.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 12:28 PM
Well, yeah I guess, but I like to think that a ceratin prestige is deserving of those who have been with OotS for a long time. Spam would be a much larger issue if everyone went back to zero...

Illithid Squid Thingy in the Playground?
Elemental in the Playground?

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 12:39 PM
I believe you mean Squid Thingy in the Playground.

Vik
2005-03-16, 12:45 PM
What should be given is for how long you have been registered. Maybe also an average post / week for the last few weeks, so that other posters can know if you're likely to respond (or if you're a spammer ^^).
But the number of posts ? Absolutely no point. Spammers pride ?

Zherog
2005-03-16, 12:52 PM
Because, I like my post count and its not hurting anyone so why cause Rich/Raw bear the trouble?
Aside, reseting the post count will confuse people. I remember being around when I instantly paid attention to ANYONE with three stars, its like I suddenly knew right off the back "this person is worth listening to" which I had a lack of the ability to do so without implications to do so, I just sorta glazed over it. I recall you were one such person as well.

Wow! You attach significance to post counts (and by extension the number of stars)? Wow - that's just... well, sad!

I also think you're not giving the real reason you don't want post counts reset. I'm willing to posit you don't want them reset because you've worked so hard spa... er, posting, trying to get to that fifth level. Because once you reach that fifth level, you think you'll earn respect from people on this board - most of whom are too smart to attach any real significance to a post count or to a number of stars or to a title.

White Blade
2005-03-16, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure you get it, I don't see why we SHOULD reset it. Also, I feel no guilt about my posting average, if you think I should well then I don't really care. I am giving you reasons I never said they were all mine. If you like thinking that having a post count is simply wrong well then... have fun thinking such, but I don't agree with you and I don't think many others will either.

Zherog
2005-03-16, 02:00 PM
I'm not saying post counts are wrong. And, in fact, I'm not even suggesting that having fun with the board's titles is wrong (or bad, or whatever).

What I'm saying is tying any sort of significance to a post count is... well, not wrong - that's the wrong word. How 'bout misplaced? That seems more like the word I'm thinking of.

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 02:24 PM
Post counts aren't entirely useless, they give you an idea of how active a person is on the boards, although a post/day counter would probably be better for that.

Zherog
2005-03-16, 02:31 PM
True enough - a post count does indeed tell you how active a person has been on a particular board over time. Why is that useful though? Or, for that matter, why would "posts per day" be useful? I just can't see any value in actual post counts - though I do at least see some tangential benefits (asumement) to post titles.

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 02:35 PM
I'm not really sure how it'd be useful, unless you're in a PbP game with them or something. But there are lots of things that aren't useful but are still features, like sigs, avatars, a record of when you joined, that sort of thing. Why don't you complain about those too? They don't serve any real purpose after all.

Zherog
2005-03-16, 03:40 PM
There's a major difference between post counts and things like sigs, avatars, etc. People don't judge the quality of your posts by the latter. Just the thought that somebody gives more weight to one poster over another because one has a higher post count is laughably sad.

White Blade
2005-03-16, 04:17 PM
Z, I'm not sure why you want it reset it will just make things worse...
"Yo man I've been here for ----- amount of time.." :"yeah but you have only posted like ten freaking times so what are you good for?" "they resetted it I swear." "Sure...." I'm not sure you realize I'm pretty much pessimistic. So I can look at all of your things and I see, "Hey you know these guys who are happy because they have a large amount of posts WELL SCREW FREAKING THEM LETS BE EQUALS.." I hate communism (but thats real-world politics so lets not get into that.), and I feel I have more then earned my right for my post count, if you don't like it well tough.

Zherog
2005-03-16, 04:26 PM
Z, I'm not sure why you want it reset it will just make things worse...

Well, for one I was joking at first - though I knew darn well it'd get a rise out of people who are in love with their post count.

and I feel I have more then earned my right for my post count, if you don't like it well tough.

Hmmm... you know, I think I'm going to leave that alone. And not for any other reason other than I have entirely too much respect for Rich as a friend of mine...

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 04:36 PM
I didnt read the last like ten posts becuase it was constant bickering. Rich included the post counts because at first, it was quite a un-heard-of web site(comic) AND it adds a bit of flavor. TRhere are porbably many people who wouold not post as much if their wasn't a ranking system or post counter.

Lets stop the argueing and go back to the creativeness

Also, I've noticed thatn only ogres, and soon-to-be ogres (like Zherog) are posting here...probably because we are the only ones who acutally give a crap

The Giant
2005-03-16, 04:54 PM
I feel I have more then earned my right for my post count, if you don't like it well tough.

The Voice of Mod: Ummmm...no.

White Blade, you are personally the foremost reason why there are now spam rules on this website. Even if one were of the opinion that post counts are meaningful (and I am not), you still did not achieve your post count by posting well-reasoned and thought-provoking messages, but often by responding repeatedly to message board games that take little or no thought to participate in. In fact, the entire discussion of post counts is a direct result of your misguided attempt to inflate your post count and with it, your imagined prestige. The fact that you have openly expressed desire to raise your post count for its own sake and an interest in "racing" to be the first to five stars--on this very thread--only underscores the idea that post counts are truly meaningless statistics for people who are impressed by statistics.

So here's the end result: This thread is locked. The thread about spam is locked. All future discussions about post counts will be locked as soon as we see them. All spammers will be treated as outlined in the thread about spam, which may include post count resets.

This is NOT open for discussion any longer. Am I making myself clear?