PDA

View Full Version : Spell versions of Psionics

J.Gellert
2008-10-07, 07:42 AM
I wonder if there's a book or unofficial conversion of psionic powers to spells.

Like, for example, Call Weaponry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm) as a wizard/sorcerer spell instead of a psionic power.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-07, 08:56 AM
Insert snarky comment about the Erudite here?

In serious, I've never seen an actual list of all the powers that have spell equivalents - lots of them are close, but a lot don't have equivalents.

J.Gellert
2008-10-07, 12:20 PM
The Erudite what? I don't know Psionics at all... :smallredface:

Tengu_temp
2008-10-07, 12:28 PM
I wonder if there's a book or unofficial conversion of psionic powers to spells.

As someone who believes that mana/power points system has more sense and is better balanced than Vancian casting, I'd rather see the opposite.

Person_Man
2008-10-07, 12:54 PM

Like, for example, Call Weaponry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm) as a wizard/sorcerer spell instead of a psionic power.

As far as I know, no.

And as Tengu implies, most people who homebrew classes either use a point system and/or a "per encounter" mechanic of some type. It's generally recognized that having most/all of your class abilities be "per day" memorized spells makes game balance much more difficult.

J.Gellert
2008-10-07, 12:55 PM
As someone who believes that mana/power points system has more sense and is better balanced than Vancian casting, I'd rather see the opposite.

I'm with you, but try convincing my DM...

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 12:55 PM

Agreed.

Although, the issue with Mana points is not all spells work correctly.

Take Magic Missile versus Grease. MM can be spell pointed, but Grease is worth 1 no matter what.

Granted, ther are a few psionic powers that can't be augmented and stay good but they are very few (Psionic Grease, Entangling Ectoplasm).
The spells like that are all Conj. for some reason (maybe why it is such a awesome school).

Temp.
2008-10-07, 12:59 PM
Off the cuff Psionic=>Vancian conversion:

All Powers are usable as Spells of equal level.
All linear Augments (where investing X pp adds X dice, X rounds or X whatevers) are applied automatically, but cap at different caster levels according to the level of the power:

Level 1 Powers: Cap at 5 PP effect
Level 2 Powers: Cap at 10 PP effect
Level 3 Powers: Cap at 10 PP effect
Level 4 Powers: Cap at 15 PP effect
Level 5 Powers: Cap at 15 PP effect
Level 6 Powers: Cap at 20 PP effect
Level 7 Powers: Cap at 20 PP effect
Level 8 Powers: Cap at 25 PP effect
Level 9 Powers: Cap at 25 PP effect

Saving Throw DCs are not affected.

This is a quick, ugly fix based on the maximum effects of typical spells in the PHB.
Allowing Heighten Spell to alter the effects as Augmenting normally would might both give use to the feat and help to balance the powers.

Prometheus
2008-10-07, 01:48 PM
When making a homebrew spellcaster class with a diversified spell list, I can definitely see the point in wanting a psionic power as a spell. For me, I just use the unaugmented form, replace the power level with spell level, and manifester level with caster level and it should work out all right. Some spells, however, really do depend on being augmented, so it might be better to augment the spell and then convert it based on PP cost relating to an effective spell level. Also, because psionics and magic do different thing better or worse, there is at least a +/- 1 caster level that could occur when transferring certain spells.