PDA

View Full Version : "I think it's an iron Golem." "No, see, it has fleshy parts." "But look, stone, too."

Xallace
2008-10-08, 11:21 AM
Rabble
Size/Type: Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 32d10+40 (186 HP)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 20 feet
Armor Class: 38 (-2 Size, -2 Dex, +32 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +24/+47
Attack: Slam +37 Melee (4d8+22)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +37 Melee (4d8+22)
Space/Reach: 15 by 15 / 15
Special Attacks: Berserk, Mutable Attack
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 15/Adamantine, Darkvision 60 feet, Immunity to Magic, Low-light vision, Golem Sense, Total Consumption
Saves: Fort +10 Ref +8 Will +10
Abilities: Str 40 Dex 6 Con – Int – Wis 11 Cha 1
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 33-54 HD (Huge); 55-72 HD (Gargantuan); 73+ (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

A hulking, humanoid mass of flesh, iron, stone, and clay lurches forward. A crude face is carved into its head, and it appears to be grinning.

The following is an excerpt from one of Xallace’s notebooks:

Year 3, Month 4, Day 2
Need to figure out new method of dating. Year/Month/Day not doing it for me. 5th golem exploded today, not sure how long I can keep making these things. Hope seems lost.

Year 3, Month 4, Day 4
Ran out of golem parts. All experiments cease for now, maybe forever. Perhaps I’ll work on that new spell. Still having trouble modifying the guano. Bat poo has to do something other than set things on fire.

Year 3, Month 4, Day 7
Turns out I was wrong: bat crap can only set things on fire. But, I got back to the Golem, and guess what? Success! Since I no longer have the necessary parts to make separate golem warriors, I built them together and animated them. Hard to control the thing, though. That’s what I get for buying discount Golem parts, I guess.

The Rabble, or Poly-Golem, is a jumbled mess of various bits of matter that stands roughly 15 feet high and weights 4,000 lbs. The method used to create this creature is lost (although most attribute it to dumb luck), and as such, only one exists. Unfortunately, that one is currently rampaging across the planes.

In combat, the Rabble likes to go straight for other constructs. Once the other construct is destroyed, it will absorb the creature's abilities and use them against the remaining creatures, if any. If no other dangers present themselves, the Rabble will totally consume the construct in question.

Golem Sense (Su): A rabble is constantly aware of the location of any construct within 5 miles of itself. This sense extends to the Ethereal Plane if the rabble is on the Material Plane.

Feed (Ex): If a rabble destroys a construct (by bringing the construct’s hit points to 0), the rabble can absorb the construct’s form and abilities as an immediate action. The rabble gains Temporary Hit Points equal to twice the absorbed construct’s Hit Dice. In addition, the rabble gains on special attack or quality of the absorbed construct. This ability is usable at the same frequency as the original creature.
The effects of this ability last for 1 hour.

Total Consumption (Ex): If a rabble uses its Feed ability (see above) to absorb a construct, it can choose to completely consume the construct. This process requires one uninterrupted hour to integrate the construct’s components into the rabble’s form, and the rabble must choose to begin this process within 1 minute of absorbing the construct. At the end of this hour, the rabble gains 1 HD per 3 HD of the absorbed construct (rounded down, minimum +1 HD). The rabble permanently gains 1 randomly determined Special Attack and Special Quality of the absorbed construct, as long as the rabble does not already possess the ability.

Berserk (Ex): When a rabble enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its elemental spirit breaks free and the golem goes berserk. The uncontrolled golem goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. Once a rabble goes berserk, no known method can reestablish control.

Mutable Attack (Su): A rabble gains a Special Attack or Quality depending on which Golem it is currently imitating with its Mutable Immunity to Magic Ability (See below).

Clay:

Cursed Wound (Ex): The damage a rabble deals doesn’t heal naturally and resists healing spells. A character attempting to cast a conjuration (healing) spell on a creature damaged by a rabble must succeed on a DC 26 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character.

Iron:

Breath Weapon (Su): 10-foot cube, cloud of poisonous gas lasting 1 round, free action once every 1d4+1 rounds; initial damage 1d4 Con, secondary damage 3d4 Con, Fortitude DC 26 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Stone:

Slow (Su): A rabble can use a slow effect, as the spell, as a free action once every 2 rounds. The effect has a range of 10 feet and a duration of 7 rounds, requiring a DC 26 Will save to negate. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Haste (Su): After it has engaged in at least 1 round of combat, a rabble can haste itself once per day as a free action. The effect lasts 3 rounds and is otherwise the same as the spell.

Mutable Immunity to Magic (Ex): A rabble is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance. As a standard action each round, the rabble may switch between the Magic Immunity of the four different Golem types that compose its body.
When the golem changes its immunities, the part of its body that represents the golem it is imitating spreads to take up the core of the creature; i.e. The chest and torso of the golem will be Clay when imitating a clay golem, iron when imitating an iron golem, etc.

Clay:
A move earth spell drives the golem back 60 feet and deals 3d6 points of damage to it.
A disintegrate spell slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds and deals 1d8 points of damage.

An earthquake spell cast directly at the golem stops it from moving on its next turn and deals 5d6 points of damage. The golem gets no saving throw against any of these effects.

Any magical attack against the golem that deals acid damage heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a clay golem hit by the breath weapon of a black dragon heals 7 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 22 points of damage. The golem gets no saving throw against magical attacks that deal acid damage.

Flesh:
A magical attack that deals cold or fire damage slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points.

For example, a golem hit by a lightning bolt heals 3 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 11 points of damage. The golem gets no saving throw against attacks that deal electricity damage.

Iron:
A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1 round, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. The golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

The golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Stone:
A transmute rock to mud spell slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds, with no saving throw, while transmute mud to rock heals all of its lost hit points.

A stone to flesh spell does not actually change the golem’s structure but negates its damage reduction and immunity to magic for 1 full round.

----------------------------------------

COMBAT

If constructs are present, a rabbles first action is always to charge them and deliver a slam attack. Following rounds consist of full-attacking the construct until it is destroyed, at which point the rabble will use its Feed ability. The following is for encounters in which no construct is present, or just after all constructs have been destroyed and absorbed.

Pre-Combat: Rabbles can't generally do much prior to combat other than close in for combat. If a rabble has obtained spell-like abilities from absorbing other constructs, it will sometimes start by activating one or two, but has no ability to determine which will be helpful in the fight ahead.

Round 1: Close with nearest target and activate currently available Special Ability.

Round 2: Full-attack nearest target.

Round 3: If target dropped or moved, switch Immunities randomly. If target is still alive and in threat range, continue pummeling with slam attacks.

Round 4: Repeat Round 1.

...And so on. Rabbles often have Iron Golem Immunities as their "Default setting," allowing them to open up with their breath weapons. Beyond this, a rabble has no ability to determine which immunity type will be most beneficent to it. Rabbles will not repeat immunity types until they have cycled through each one.

afroakuma
2008-10-08, 12:52 PM
Those ?-rated monsters are so tough to face.

I would personally avoid the Final Fantasy-esque weakness-switching, at least for being a swift action. The rabble probably has nothing better to do with said swift action, and you're looking at giving the average party a 25% to 50% chance of catching it on its weakness, with a possibility of helping it instead.

Xallace
2008-10-08, 03:29 PM
Those ?-rated monsters are so tough to face.

I know, my party keeps getting TPKs against them. If only we were level ?.

In all seriousness, I really have no idea how to calculate CR.

I would personally avoid the Final Fantasy-esque weakness-switching, at least for being a swift action. The rabble probably has nothing better to do with said swift action, and you're looking at giving the average party a 25% to 50% chance of catching it on its weakness, with a possibility of helping it instead.

I wasn't aware that was in anyway like Final Fantasy. Well, shall I up that to a Move action? Or a Standard Action? So the party has a clear notice that it's switching around its weaknesses?

Innis Cabal
2008-10-08, 03:32 PM
At least 16.

DracoDei
2008-10-08, 04:53 PM
Knowledge checks are a free action I think... thus the (arcane only?) spellcasters should be able to ID its weaknesses with knowledge(arcana) and call them out to anyone that it matters to... assuming there are visible signs, which I think there should be... no idea of DCs.

Also, since it is mindless, you should give a table or simple rules that determines which abilities and defenses it uses any given round.

Xallace
2008-10-08, 07:36 PM
Also, since it is mindless, you should give a table or simple rules that determines which abilities and defenses it uses any given round.

A good idea.

EDIT: Is that somewhat better?

Ascension
2008-10-08, 09:54 PM
Would its drive to consume constructs include any Warforged in the party?

afroakuma
2008-10-08, 10:01 PM
Self-transfiguration to show highlighted traits is perfect. It would probably count as a negative for determining CR, and let savvy casters catch it with the correct effect.

Triaxx
2008-10-09, 06:44 AM
Hmmm... especially if it consumed the forged, and could potentially pick up class powers.

Where does it increase in size for the HD of all these constructs it's totally consuming? Drop this on Eberron and it's going to hit Collossal pretty quickly. Pretty soon, it'll be snorting Pun-Pun.

Xallace
2008-10-09, 08:00 AM
Would its drive to consume constructs include any Warforged in the party?

Yes. Maybe not Reforged, but definitely the majority of warforged, as they are constructs.

Hmmm... especially if it consumed the forged, and could potentially pick up class powers.

It's sorta like the construct version of the Illithid Savant. Except with less limits. Hot dang, talk about your engine of destruction.

Where does it increase in size for the HD of all these constructs it's totally consuming? Drop this on Eberron and it's going to hit Collossal pretty quickly. Pretty soon, it'll be snorting Pun-Pun.

Ooh... hmm, size increases weren't something I had thought about. Having your players fight this thing, then have it disappear for a while before returning triple its size? Scary.
For now, I gave it the Mithril Golem's advancement (Plus Colossal). See if something would work better, though.