PDA

View Full Version : Scions of Khyber and Siberys [PrCs, feat, PEACH]

DaTedinator
2008-10-11, 11:46 AM
WHAT I'M DOING AND WHY

Alright, so you wanna know one thing that's always irked me? The heir of Siberys. The flavor text makes it sound rather random, saying some random unmarked member of a house is just as (more?) likely to develop a Siberys mark as a guy who's been honing his dragonmark all his life. It calls them unpredictable, but the way the class is currently made, it's semi-predictable: anyone who has a mark that is not a Siberys mark will never get one.

Does that make sense to you? Because it doesn't to me. Siberys marks are supposed to be wicked powerful things of legend, but with only the heir of Siberys, the best they get is a trick they can use once or twice a day; sometimes even a greater dragonmark is better than a Siberys.

Example: Mark of Passage. If you take the entire feat chain, you can run fast, fly, teleport short distances, teleport long distances, etc. etc., all sortsa fun stuff. If you're an heir of Siberys? You can greater teleport 2/day. Not that that's not nice, but frankly, someone who's taken the feat chain – especially if they've taken Adept, Prodigy, and Visionary from Dragonmarked – will most certainly be considered to have a more powerful mark.

Thus, we get to the part you clicked the link for: the PrC. I call it the scion of Siberys, to separate it and the heir. Now we have true unpredictability: someone with a greater mark could end up with an even more powerful mark, or someone with no mark could end up with a surprisingly powerful mark (if they take the heir class).

SCION OF SIBERYS
[Flavor text is pretty much identical to that of an heir of Siberys]

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a scion of Siberys, a character must fulfill all the following critera.
Race: Appropriate race for your dragonmark (you cannot be in a different body, i.e., through reincarnation).
Skills: 14 ranks in any two skills.
Feats: Least, Lesser, and Greater Dragonmark; any one feat that requires a true dragonmark, or Favored in House.

CLASS SKILLS
Any skill that is a class skill for one of a scion of Siberys's classes is a class skill for this class.
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|Special|Class Features

1st|+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Improved dragonmark|-

2nd|+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Bonus feat|+1 Level of Existing Class

3rd|+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Siberys mark|-

4th|+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Bonus feat|+1 Level of Existing Class

5th|+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Improved Siberys mark|-

[/table]

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the scion of Siberys.

Improved Dragonmark: At first level, the scion of Siberys's dragonmark begins to shift and grow, hinting at the promise of greater power to come. He can select a second spell-like ability associated with the greater dragonmark of his house, or he can use the greater dragonmark spell-like ability he already possesses one additional time per day.

Class Features: At second and fourth level, the scion of Siberys gains increased proficiency with a previous class he'd taken. All of his class features advance as though he'd gained a level of that class. This could include spellcasting, unarmed damage, animal companion advancement, or gaining a new favored enemy. It does not include things such as saving throws, BAB, or anything already determined by the scion of Siberys class.

Bonus Feat: At second and fourth level, the scion of Siberys gains a bonus feat. This bonus feat may be any feat which requires a dragonmark, and which he meets the prerequistes for.

Siberys Mark (Sp): At third level, the scion of Siberys develops his full Siberys dragonmark, gaining a spell-like ability from the following list. If there are two spell-like abilities associated with his house, he chooses one.
Mark of Detection: Foresight 1/day
Mark of Finding: Discern location 1/day
Mark of Handling: Awaken 1/day
Mark of Healing: Mass cure critical wounds 1/day
Mark of Hospitality: Refuge 1/day
Mark of Making: True creation 1/day
Mark of Passage: Greater teleport 1/day
Mark of Scribing: Symbol of death 1/day
Mark of Sentinel: Mind blank 1/day
Mark of Shadow: Greater scrying 1/day
Mark of Storm: Storm of vengeance 1/day
Mark of Warding: Prismatic wall 1/day
A saving throw against one of his dragonmark powers has a DC of 10 + the level of the spell + his Cha modifier.
The caster level for all of his dragonmark powers is 15.
In addition, the scion of Siberys can always take ten on the skill associated with his dragonmark, even when under pressure or if he normally couldn't.

Improved Siberys Mark (Sp): At fifth level, a scion of Siberys gains complete mastery over his dragonmark. He may use any spell-like ability associated with his dragonmark one additional time per day.

---

And so there we have it! A Siberys mark that people are really going to be in awe over. A class you can use to truly hone your dragonmark to the limit. But, there are two things I'm still thinking about...

First, I didn't let dragonmark heir factor into the caster level. I considered it, but decided that it would really get pretty stinkin' high; is that acceptable, do you think? I decided not, but I'm still iffy about it.

Second, I only included one choice for the Siberys dragonmark, even when the heir of Siberys has two for some. I decided it was just simpler that way. Was this also the wrong choice?

So yeah. PEACH, as always. For this, and the following.

DaTedinator
2008-10-11, 11:47 AM
AND ANOTHER THING

Okay, so this one isn't something that irks me so much as something that just seems like it's missing. In Dragonmarked, in the section on aberrant marks, it talks about the Sharn-shattering powers of aberrant marks. Now, with the Lesser and Greater Aberrant Mark feats in the book, we'd definitely seen some improvement in the power, but I wanted something a bit bigger. And thus...

SCION OF KHYBER
[Flavor text is coming, it's late, I need sleep]

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a scion of Khyber, a character must fulfill all the following critera.
Race: Dragonmarked race
Feats: Aberrant Dragonmark, Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark, any one feat that requires an aberrant dragonmark.

CLASS SKILLS
Any skill that is a class skill for one of a scion of Khyber's classes is a class skill for this class.
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+1|+1|+1|Improved aberrant dragonmark

2nd|+1|+1|+1|+1|Improved lesser aberrant dragonmark

3rd|+2|+2|+2|+2|Greater aberrant dragonmark

4th|+3|+2|+2|+2|Dragonmark sense

5th|+3|+3|+3|+3|Bonus feat

6th|+4|+3|+3|+3|Improved greater aberrant dragonmark

7th|+5|+3|+3|+3|Bonus feat

8th|+6|+4|+4|+4|Khyber mark

9th|+6|+4|+4|+4|Bonus feat

10th|+7|+5|+5|+5|Improved Khyber mark

[/table]

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the scion of Khyber.

Improved Aberrant Dragonmark: A scion of Khyber gains improved mastery of his aberrant dragonmark. He can select a second spell-like ability from the aberrant dragonmark list, or may use the aberrant dragonmark spell-like ability he already possesses one additional time per day.

Improved Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark: At 2nd level, a scion of Khyber gains improved mastery of his lesser aberrant dragonmark. He can select a second spell-like ability from the lesser aberrant dragonmark list, or may use the lesser aberrant dragonmark spell-like ability he already possesses one additional time per day.

Greater Aberrant Dragonmark: At 3rd level, a scion of Khyber manifests a greater aberrant dragonmark, receiving Greater Aberrant Dragonmark as a bonus feat without needing to meet the skill rank prerequisite.

Dragonmark Sense (Su): At 4th level, a scion of Khyber receives a potent ability both for defense and for scouting out those like him: the ability to sense others with dragonmarks. He can detect anyone with a dragonmark (true or aberrant) within 60' as with the blindsense ability. By concentrating on an individual as a move action, he can determine whether the mark is true or aberrant; if instead he concentrates as a standard action, he learns both that, and the power of the mark (least, lesser, greater, or Siberys/Khyber).

Bonus Feat: At 5th level and every two levels thereafter, the scion of Khyber gains a bonus feat. The bonus feat may be any feat which requires a dragonmark, and which he meets the prerequistes for.

Improved Greater Aberrant Dragonmark: At 6th level, a scion of Khyber gains improved mastery of his greater aberrant dragonmark. He can select a second spell-like ability from the greater aberrant dragonmark list, or may use the greater aberrant dragonmark spell-like ability he already possesses one additional time per day.

Khyber Mark (Sp): At 8th level, a scion of Khyber develops a fearsome mark not seen since the War of the Mark: a Khyber mark. He selects one spell-like ability from the following list: binding 1/day, delayed blast fireball 1/day, finger of death 1/day, harm 2/day, mass hold person 1/day, mass inflict critical wounds 1/day, maze 1/day, polar ray 1/day, reverse gravity 1/day, symbol of fear 2/day.
In addition, he can use his base, lesser, and greater aberrant dragonmark spell-like abilities one additional time per day each.
A saving throw against one of his aberrant dragonmark spell-like abilities has a DC of 10 + the level of the spell + his Cha modifier.
The caster level for his aberrant dragonmark spell-like abilities is equal to 7 + one-half his character level.
After he uses any spell-like ability granted by his Khyber mark, a scion of Khyber must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or must roll a d6 and consult the following chart:

{table]Die Roll|Result|Duration
1,2, or 3|Dazed|1 round
4 or 5|Nauseated|2 rounds
6|Shaken|3 rounds[/table]

Improved Khyber Mark (Sp): At 10th level, a scion of Khyber has near complete mastery over his aberrant dragonmark. He can use every spell-like ability from his aberrant dragonmark one additional time per day each.

DaTedinator
2008-10-11, 11:48 AM
BUT THAT DOESN'T COMPLETELY FIX THINGS...

Some of the most powerful dragonmarks are supposed to be capable of unthinkable things. Like Tarkanan and his lieutenants destroying Sharn is kinda epic. But, this isn't just Aberrant dragonmarks; Siberys marks are supposedly just as powerful. So how do you emulate such supposedly unlimited power? Easy! Spells!

It's always left up to the player to decide where a sorcerer gets his power. I was made aware of a feat from Dragon that granted a sorcerer an improved dragonmark type thing. :smalltongue: Yes, such an detailed description! Butyeah. Suffice it to say, I'm drawing most of these ideas from Dragon magazine, it's not all my own.

DRAGONMARKED SORCERER
There are plenty of sorcerers who claim to get their power from the dragon above, but there are very few who have visible proof: their power is fueled by a Dragonmark.
Hit Die: d4

Requirements
To take a dragonmarked sorcerer substitution level, a character must be a member of a dragonmarked race about to take his 1st, 6th, 10th, or 14th level of sorcerer. In addition, unlike normal substitution levels, you must take all dragonmarked sorcerer levels, or none; you can't pick and choose.

Class Skills
Dragonmarked sorcerer substitution levels have the class skills of the standard sorcerer class, plus the skill corresponding to their particular dragonmark.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier (or four times this number as a beginning character).

Class Features
All the following are features of the dragonmarked sorcerer's substitution levels.

Least Dragonmark: At first level, a dragonmarked sorcerer gains the Least Dragonmark of her house. In addition, all of the spells of her least dragonmark are added to her spells known list, regardless of whether they're normally sorcerer spells. The skill associated with her dragonmark is always considered a class skill for her.

If she knows a spell of a level higher than she is currently able to cast, she is unable to cast the spell until she is able to cast spells of that level (which may include the use of the Versatile Spellcaster feat).

This substitution feature replaces the standard sorcerer's familiar gained at 1st level, and the dragonmarked sorcerer has one less 1st level spell known (except in the case of the Mark of Detection, who only loses the familiar).

In addition, your magical powers are innately tied to your dragonmark; any item, spell, or whatnot that would inhibit your dragonmark (such as the Suppress Dragonmark spell) forces you to make a Concentration check (DC 10 + three times the level of the spell) in order to successfully cast the spell.

Lesser Dragonmark: At sixth level, a dragonmarked sorcerer gains the Lesser Dragonmark of her house. In addition, all of the spells of her lesser dragonmark are added to her spells known list, regardless of whether they're normally sorcerer spells.

If she knows a spell of a level higher than she is currently able to cast, she is unable to cast the spell until she is able to cast spells of that level (which may include the use of the Versatile Spellcaster feat).

This substitution feature replaces the third level spell learned by the standard sorcerer at 3rd level. From now on, the dragonmarked sorcerer knows one less third level spell than her level would indicate.

Greater Dragonmark: At tenth level, a dragonmarked sorcerer gains the Greater Dragonmark of her house. In addition, all of the spells of her greater dragonmark are added to her spells known list, regardless of whether they're normally sorcerer spells.

In addition, the dragonmarked sorcerer is always able to take 10 with the skill associated with her dragonmark, even if not normally allowed to, or under stressful conditions.

This substitution feature replaces the fifth level spell learned by the standard sorcerer at 10th level. From now on, the dragonmarked sorcerer knows one less fifth level spell than her level would indicate.

Siberys Dragonmark:At fourteenth level, a dragonmarked sorcerer gains the Siberys Dragonmark of her house. In addition, all of the spells of her Siberys dragonmark are added to her spells known list, regardless of whether they're normally sorcerer spells.

This substitution feature replaces the seventh level spell learned by the standard sorcerer at 14th level. From now on, the dragonmarked sorcerer knows one less seventh level spell than her level would indicate.

ABERRANT MARKED SORCERER
Coming soon? At least coming.

DRAGONMARK FEAT

This one comes from a small sidebar in Dragonmarked, explaining mixed marks: aberrant dragonmarks that come from the mixing of two true dragonmark bloodlines. The book describes them as the same as a normal aberrant mark except that they're colored as a standard dragonmark, but this led me to thinking: If a normal dragonmark comes from Siberys, and an aberrant mark from Khyber, then shouldn't (or at least couldn't) a mixed mark be powered by Siberys, and thus count as a true dragonmark, feat-wise?

And thus we have this. An aberrant mark that counts as a true mark for everything except Lesser and Greater Aberrant Marks. And possibly scion of Khyber? You'd need to reflavor it a bit but it could work. DM's permission for that one, yo'.

MIXED MARK
Your aberrant mark comes from quite the taboo source: mixing of two dragonmark lines. Scandalous!
Prerequisites: 4 ranks in one skill, no other dragonmarks, must be the child of two parents from different dragonmark lines.
Benefit:You gain an aberrant dragonmark, as the feat in the ECS. However, unlike a normal aberrant dragonmark, this mark is the same blue-green as a standard dragonmark. In addition, you add the spell-like abilities from the least dragonmarks of your heritage to your list of possible spell-like abilities. If you later gain a lesser or greater aberrant dragonmark, you add the lesser and greater (respectively) spell-like abilities of the two dragonmarks to your list of possible spell-like abilities.
Special:This feat counts as Aberrant Dragonmark feat for the purposes of qualifying for the Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark and Greater Aberrant Dragonmark feats, but counts as a true dragonmark for the purposes of qualifying for other feats (so you would qualify for Quicken Dragonmark, but not Mark of Vermin). It does not qualify as any specific dragonmark (so you still wouldn't qualify for Eye of Medani, for example).

---

More feats may be coming, if I get ideas for feats that need to be made.

vegetalss4
2008-10-13, 06:13 AM
i dont really like the entry requirements for scion of siberys, as they just change who can get it, and don't make it less predictable. Now it is guys whos either A. have a powerful dragonmark already and B. is popular in his house or even better with his dragonmark.
i think you should change it so you just need to be a member of a dragonmarked house, or at least allow for the siberys heir to enter (as you have indicated that they should be able to) and remove the part about them needing favored in house, as it dosen't make much sense that you can get a more important dragonmark (for the draconic prophecy) by doing the houses a lot of favors.
But other than that it looks good

DaTedinator
2008-10-14, 11:07 PM
Oh, the Scion isn't meant to replace the Heir; they both exist alongside each other, one representing the guy who spontaneously develops a Siberys mark (Heir) and one representing a guy whose dragonmark steadily grows into one (Scion).

Primal Fury
2008-10-16, 07:35 PM
I understand the reasoning behind you making the scion of siberys, but why make the scion of khyber? I mean love the the class and this makes me want an aberrant dragonmark for my own character, but why make it?

Also, do you plan on making more feats for those with aberrant dragonmarks?

DaTedinator
2008-10-17, 12:06 AM
That, is actually a very good question, and one I'd intended to answer, but never got around to it. So yeah! Went ahead and added that.

As for feats, perhaps? I'm not sure I have a lot of ideas for those. But if I have ideas, then yes! I do want to do Sorcerer substitution levels, though. Like now, perhaps? Perhaps.

Primal Fury
2008-10-17, 03:47 PM
Hm. I find it strange that you gave the Dragonmarked Sorcerer the Siberys mark considering there are already two prestige classes that give you one. How do you plan on improving it then?

And feats for Aberrant Dragonmarks? Well, there are lots of places you can get ideas. If you're looking for inspiration, I'd suggest the books Lords of Madness and issue number 330 of Dragon Magazine. There is also a class by Realms of Chaos, the Blasphemous Preacher. If you haven't heard of it, it's a class that deals entirely with the Far Realm, madness, and the like. Very Khyber-y if you ask me. :smallwink: