PDA

View Full Version : Villain Idea: Delusional Cleric of Pelor

Leliel
2008-10-11, 07:16 PM
As the title might suggest, I am a big fan of bad guys who think they're good guys, and have powers that match with this assumption.

One idea is a zealous priest of Pelor, whose quest to stamp out evil has become so consuming, that he's stopped caring about the consequnces of the actions he does to accomplish this quest are. He's turned the city he rules into a millitaristic tyranny, and has started a campagin against the other, "sinful", cities.

Of course, Pelor himself stripped this guy of powers a long time ago, but Bane realized that a millitaristic nation, even one not in his name, would help spread war across the cosmos, so he gave the cleric his powers back, and sent his angels to guard him.

So, good idea? Is so, what kind of powers do you think he should have (radiant damage is a must, but I'm not sure what kind of flavor this would have)?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-11, 07:18 PM
Are you sure he's mistaken? I mean, we're talking about Pelor (http://forum.zaister.de/viewtopic.php?id=5) here, the God of sunburns, droughts, dehydration, and fire.

drengnikrafe
2008-10-11, 07:22 PM
While I think it's a pretty nifty idea in fluff, and whatnot, I'm left to wonder.... just how powerful is a cleric without his cleric abilities? Doesn't that make him a lot like a featless fighter?

Also, what do you mean by "long ago". Clerics who become ex-clerics can't take more levels in cleric, right?

EDIT: Shame on me for not reading clearly.

It does leave a question though. Can a deity grant powers to someone who doesn't ask him for them? I mean, this crazy cleric is praying to Pelor for his magic. Can Bane really give him magic?

Leliel
2008-10-11, 07:24 PM
While I think it's a pretty nifty idea in fluff, and whatnot, I'm left to wonder.... just how powerful is a cleric without his cleric abilities? Doesn't that make him a lot like a featless fighter?

Also, what do you mean by "long ago". Clerics who become ex-clerics can't take more levels in cleric, right?

The answer-It doesn't matter, since Bane is the source of his powers now, even if he isn't aware of it. See post.

EDIT: Ah, I see you saw your mistake.

To the new question: The rules don't say anything about this, so it's homebrew.

drengnikrafe
2008-10-11, 07:25 PM
I changed my post (and crossed out my old one, in case you didn't notice, somehow) when I reread it. Sorry about my poor reading skills. I'm kind of tired.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-11, 07:28 PM
Why Bane? He is the traditional Evil god, but this seems outside of his area. I'd have gone with Vecna or similar, myself, or had Pelor continue to grant spells(I love the idea of a god deceiving the rest of the cosmos), but that's just me. A god of trickery, lies, or secrets seems much more likely to personally deceive a Cleric as to the source of his powers for 10-20 years, and his Angels are much more likely to be skilled at lying and concealing their natures. Also be careful about the Priest's domains, he obviously can't be casting Holy Smite. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holySmite.htm)

FujinAkari
2008-10-11, 07:33 PM
There is actually quite a lot of precident for gods "impersonating" other gods and granting hapless mortals power. I believe Shar impersonated Selune for a bit during / immediately after the Time of Troubles, and even think Waukeen went missing, but his faithful continued getting their prayers answered because one of Waukeen's deific friends quietly assumed his portfolio.

Of course, these examples are in cases where the actual God is somehow silences, but I would certainly argue that this allows Bane to grant the fanatic his powers, and your villian would be all too willing to ignore the tell-tell signs that they weren't really from Pelor.

Hal
2008-10-11, 07:40 PM
Reminds me of Warcraft 3, where Arthas slew civilians who may have been struck by an undead-turning plague. Didn't matter to him if they were infected or not, he slew them all "just to be sure."

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 07:45 PM
Reminds me of Warcraft 3, where Arthas slew civilians who may have been struck by an undead-turning plague. Didn't matter to him if they were infected or not, he slew them all "just to be sure."

I think Arthas' actions there are, while not Good, more reasonable than he's sometimes given credit for. But Arthas largely managed to fail even harder than Anakin Skywalker at balancing sympathetic and foreshadowing pre-fall. It wasn't just to 'be sure' since it was known for sure that most of the city was infected, there was nothing to do for it, most of the uninfected would have been killed by the turned, and the turned would have raised militarily against him.

As the title might suggest, I am a big fan of bag guys who think they're good guys, and have powers that match with this assumption.

>.>

<.<

My bag guys just ask for tips, and don't really have many powers.

(Sorry. I wouldn't have said anything except it was funny.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-11, 07:48 PM
>.>

<.<

My bag guys just ask for tips, and don't really have many powers.

(Sorry. I wouldn't have said anything except it was funny.)Yeah, but I've run into the occasional VoP Monk Bag Guy, and while he's weaker than even a Fighter, he can still kick some players' bums around the city.