PDA

View Full Version : Playing as a Familiar

sonofzeal
2008-10-12, 11:12 PM
So, based on an earlier thread of mine full of random musings, I've just created possibly the strangest character of my career thus far, and I thought I'd send it by you guys to judge on legality and balance.

Crunch
ECL12, Halfling Racial.Druid3/Variant.Wizard3/Beastmaster1/Variant.Bard1/
Arcane.Heirophant1/Djinni.Bloodline3

The Druid levels are using the Halfling Racial Substitutions from RotW, and the Wizard and Bard are using the Animal Companion variant. Bloodline levels stack on all three (plus Beastmaster and Arcane Heirophant) to get the Animal Companion level up to 27.

Now he takes the Obtain Familiar feat, which gives him one based on his Wizard, Bard, and Heirophant levels, +3 for Bloodline on each of those, adding up to 14. He then takes Theurgic Bond to transfer his Druid caster level into his Familiar levels, getting him up to 24.

Then, with Arcane Heirophant, he melds the two into one creature, who is now a quite-intelligent (Int 17, specifically) animal, with the Magical Beast type. I call this new creature "Avatar".

Then, he curls up in a corner somewhere, while his Avatar goes off adventuring.

Stats
(note - there's three known deviations from RAW: the custom metamagic feat, the animal companion getting the druid's spontanious spells at a distance, and the number of Martial Study feats. I'm working with the DM on these.)

Brixashulty (http://nightmare.org/dnd/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14474)

str 30 (13base +9druid +4ap +4[6points]) +10
dex 28 (17base +9druid +2[4points]) +9
con 18 (16base +2[4points]) +4
int 17 (17wiz) +3
wis 18 (13base +1ap +4[6points]) +4
cha 6 (4base +2[4points]) -2

HD: 20d10+72 = 195
Init: +9
Speed: 40'
AC: 42 (+9dex +33nat) touch 19, ff33
BAB/grap: +20/+30
Darkvision 60', lowlight vision.
Attack: Gore +30/+25(1d6+15)
plus knockback (str check +16)
SR: 29

SAVES
Fort 16 (12base +4con)
Refl 21 (12base +9dex)
Will 10 (6base +4wis)
- Imp Evasion (x2!)
- +4 vs Enchant

SKILLS
Balance 11 (0rank +9dex +2race)
Jump 39 (23rank +10str +2race +4speed)
Listen 31 (23rank +4wis +2alert +2race)
Spot 29 (23rank +4wis +2alert)
K: Arcana 31 (23rank +8int)
Survival 27 (23rank +4wis)

SPELLS
Jump - 5/day, +20 on check, 7 minutes
Spider Climb - 4/day, 70 minutes
((Prot from Energy - not yet))
Alter Self!!!

AVATAR'S FEATS - Throw opposed str +20
Alertness (bonus)
Familiar Spell x3 (virtual feat from high Familiar level)

Counter Charge - 1 - opposed str/dex vs redirect 2 squares
Step of the Wind - stance - ignore difficultterrain
- +2 atk, +4 trip/knockback
Devastating Throw - 3 - move 15', throw 10', do 2d6
Comet Throw - 4 - throw 10', 4d6, ref 24 half to cushion
Soaring Throw - 5 - throw 20', +5' for 5 on check, 8d6
Mirrored Pursuit - 5 - immediate follow moving enemy
Strike of Broken Shield - 4 - +4d6 damage, Ref 24 vs flatfoot

FUTURE FEATS
Balista Throw - 6 - throw 60', 6d6 to foe and cushion
Scorpion Parry - 6 - immediate opposed attack vs
redirect foe's atk into other foe
Hydra Slaying Strike - 7 - successful hit = no full attack
Fool's Strike - 8 - immediate opposed attack vs
foe autohits himself
Tornado Throw - 9 - Spring throw, up to 80' total movement
+2 on check for every 5' of movement
2d6 + 1d6 for every 5 on check

MASTER'S FEATS - 2 LEFT
Obtain Familiar
Theurgic Bond
*Homebrew Metamagic Feat to remove CL limit on spells*

Fluff
Backstory involves a Noble Djinni who screws up the balance of reality trying to get itself reincarnated, ends up being reborn as this commoner dude. Dude is totally unaware though, and DREAMS this crazy beast. But 'cause his subconscious is powered by Noble Djinnitude, the dream becomes reality.

So you've got this Avatar, which is only subliminally aware of the Djinni, which is trying to get itself restored out of the body of this commoner, who is just trying to earn an honest living making shoes. Except the DUDE gets captured 'cause they want to use the AVATAR as living weapon but are totally unaware of the DJINNI, who guides the AVATAR into busting the DUDE out so now all three are wandering around this crazy Outer Plane with no clue... (Well, the DUDE has no clue, the DJINNI has a clue 'cause its spiffy like that, and the AVATAR has a vague intuitive version of a clue 'cause it lacks the context known by the DJINNI but responds in a general fashion to its guidance anyway)........

And yeah. It's the Avatar I'm playing. The Dude will be pure background most of the time, and the Djinni can't actually do anything on its own. lulz abound.

Context
This is going to be used in an ECL12+, high arcane campaign. The rest of the party is an Evoker Red Wizard, Favoured Soul using gauntlets, a Dread Necromancer with a whole army of skeletons, and a Warlock. I want the Avatar to be differerent but still able to contribute effectively in that context, without being "omg wtf pwn" in either direction. Future advancement involves mostly Arcane Heirophant to improve the quality of the possible Familiar Spells, a dip into "Animal Companion Bard" for a AC+4/F+8 boost when needed, and a dip into Ranger for an AC+4/F+4 boost is possible too. It should also technically be possible to switch which animal I'm using if the current Avatar dies, but the choice for Brixashulty is locked in for now. The DM is highly flexible here in working it out in a way that will be fun for everyone involved.

So, is this legal? Is this effective against high-level spellcasters (we're mostly fighting Red Wizards and Grey Elves)? Is it going to dwarf the other characters, or be dwarfed by them? And if so, are there any ways to salvage the concept, even if it involves bending RAW?

sonofzeal
2008-10-13, 01:04 AM
Campaign information
We're on this crazy Plane that is the source of all magic. There are four major power groups: us, the Red Wizards, the Grey Elves, and the Rilmani natives who guard the place. I expect to have to do constant battle against the Red Wizards (who are mostly in the lvl 12-20 range) and the Grey Elves (Duskblades and Diviners, mostly; hit and run tactics). I need this character to be effective in the ECL 12-20 range, against those foes, without totally blowing away my rather unoptimized teammates.

sonofzeal
2008-10-13, 11:22 AM
Boost Ideas
1) Give it spellcasting equal to what the man has (Druid4, Wizard4, Bard1)

2) Let it use its SLAs more often, or even at-will

3) Use some equipment

Nerf Ideas
1) Remove pointbuy

2) Remove Jump/Spiderclimb (as they aren't actually RAW)

3) Limit Maneuvers somehow

Smeggedoff
2008-10-13, 11:41 AM
He then takes Theurgic Bond to transfer his Animal Companion levels into his Familiar levels

That's not what Theurgic Bond does, it allows your caster levels to stack with [insert class giving you animal companion or familiar here] for the purposes of determining special abilities for that animal companion or familiar

sonofzeal
2008-10-13, 12:41 PM
That's not what Theurgic Bond does, it allows your caster levels to stack with [insert class giving you animal companion or familiar here] for the purposes of determining special abilities for that animal companion or familiar
*rereads*

....yup, you're right. Well, that'll lower its SR and Int somewhat, but isn't a major hit. I'll go edit that in.

sonofzeal
2008-10-13, 08:52 PM
Alright, changes (finally) updated.

In addition to what's already mentioned, I'm looking for a few item ideas. Now, the DM has said (and I support this even though it's not RAW) that his impressive SR blocks even beneficial things, specifically most items (like Gloves of Dex or Ammy of NA). I'm pushing for a Hand of the Mage, but other ideas are appreciated too for items that {a} don't require UMD, {b} create an external effect rather than affecting him directly, and {c} cover some of his more serious vulnerabilities.