PDA

View Full Version : Bull rush + charge

arkol
2008-10-14, 07:58 PM
Here's the link to bullrush to save veryone sometime:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#bullRush

Now my question is:

When you make a bullrush (no improved bullrush feat) as part of a charge what happens?

- You move, attack with whatever weapon you have, then the bullrush effect kicks in

OR

- You move and perform a bullrush, without an attack.

infinitypanda
2008-10-14, 08:04 PM
I would say you probably just make the bull rush without the attack.

Temp.
2008-10-14, 08:36 PM
The Bull Rush is your attack at the end of a charge. So the second one.

arkol
2008-10-14, 08:44 PM
You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge.

As opposed to:

As a melee attack, you may attempt to disarm your opponent.
or

You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack.

So say you have 3 atatcks from high bab and you're makign a full attack. You could make one of those a normal attack, another a trip and yet another a disarm. You couldn't make a bullrush and then make your additional 2 attacks.

So I think we can agree that bullruhes don't follow the same rules as the other "special attacks".

Also, and quoting someone else:

the attack is part of an ordinary charge and it's not explicitly excluded [when bull rushing].

:smalleek:
this is kinda weird...

AslanCross
2008-10-15, 12:52 AM
A lot of the RAW is pretty weird, but in this case I think it's pretty clear: Trip and Disarm are considered attacks (and as such can be done several times with a full-round action as BAB allows), while the Bull Rush can only be done as a standard action or part of a charge. Bull Rush is more akin to casting a spell performed on its own as a standard action.

I think it makes sense, because knocking weapons out of multiple attackers' hands is easier to do than applying enough force to a person to push him/her back 5 feet in the same span of time.

Hawriel
2008-10-15, 01:15 AM
I was playing D&D tonight (tuesday night) and I looked up the bullrush manuver because I wanted to make one. If you bullrush wile charging you get a +2 bonus to your apposed strength roll for pushing. Just like you would get a +2 to hit for hitting with a weapon. Thats it. Maybe because of what ever situation you may be in at the time might modify that more.

Oh and the defender gets an attack of opprotunety. (edit)

Temp.
2008-10-15, 01:54 AM
this is kinda weird... Oh, you're right. My Knockback Fighter threw my rule-recollection powers off a little.

I think the rules are just badly worded; the Bull Rush is supposed to take the place of the attack, whether it's technically an attack or not.

Roderick_BR
2008-10-15, 10:29 AM
If you mean you want to make a charge, hitting your enemy for damage, AND do a bull rush, you can't. That would be 2 separate actions, and you can normally do only one in a charge.
There's some feats and magic itens that do allow that, though, and usually you can just push them back 1 or 2 squares.