PDA

View Full Version : In search of an easy, cheap (or maybe free), linux compatible music making program

Frog Dragon
2008-10-15, 01:17 PM
Yhello.

I'm going to do my first time DM:ing soon and I asked my players about whether they want music in the game and they did. I first thought of taking Baldur's Gate music on a separate disc, (Every real rpg fan knows Baldur's Gate:smile:)
but that proved to be mission impossible so i opted to find a music making program and wham some up myself. So can anyone help me on this. I don't really have a deadline which we have agreed to, but I don't want to take forever so any suggestions? (Btw I'm not really sure about the discussion area, but I thought of friendly banter as the safe bet)

Thanks in advance - Frog Dragon

valadil
2008-10-15, 01:45 PM
Audacity (or audacious - one is for editing and one is for playing so I always get them confused) is really good for editing sound in linux. I'm not sure how helpful it is for creating new music, but if you already have sounds to work with it seems adequate.

This is probably the right section of these boards, though I'm sure you'll get better results on some linux specific forums.

Castaras
2008-10-15, 02:03 PM
Dunno if it'll work on Linux, but I've always found that earlier versions of Cubasis are a cheap, yet good way of creating music. You can probably get a copy from Amazon or Ebay (got my Cubasis for £15 from Amazon, used and new. Served me very well, and is extremely useful for helping with music coursework. :smalltongue:)

Granted, I might find it easy due to having worked with it for the past five years. But you might like it as well.

Just google "Music Creation Software", and you'll get loads of freebies. It's all up to you which you prefer though.

Frog Dragon
2008-10-15, 02:22 PM
Well Cubase could work (I am on 7th grade and on a media weighed class) As I have been using it a bit on school music classes and it has been quite nice and fun to use. (My parents are willing to pay about 40€) So I think that's a good maximum. I could look into the older versions of Cubase and check it out. Thanks

Yarram
2008-10-15, 11:55 PM
If you want to record music from scratch, you should get Ardour GTK2, but if it's just wave editing you want, get Audacity.