PDA

View Full Version : Question on Reporting Posts

TRM
2008-10-17, 03:19 PM
My curiosity has gotten the better of me.

When you click the Report Post button, it goes to a page where you can enter a message for the mods about the post you're reporting. So, my question: What is generally the preferred message here?

Just the reason you're reporting it? Something else? How detailed should the report be? Do the moderators have a preference?

Roland St. Jude
2008-10-17, 03:27 PM
Yes, explain why you are reporting the post. Be as succinct or verbose as you feel necessary to convey why you are reporting the post. If you want to draw our attention to the poster's avatar or sig, rather than the post itself, just say so. If you think the whole thread is a mess, in addition to the reported post, say that.

There aren't any magic words or special requirements.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 03:41 PM
can you get in trouble for reporting a post on a flimsy basis? i don't imagine so but i just wanted to double check
from
EE

Roland St. Jude
2008-10-17, 03:57 PM
can you get in trouble for reporting a post on a flimsy basis? i don't imagine so but i just wanted to double check
from
EE

No, of course not. :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2008-10-17, 04:00 PM
I could see moderators investigating if there is a long chain of spurious-seeming reports, but not otherwise. Does system flag the reportee every time?

Douglas
2008-10-17, 04:09 PM
The few times I've reported a post, I entered a very short message, sometimes just one word. "Advertising" or "blatant spam" gets the point across quite clearly and does not need elaboration. I'm sure the reporting system automatically includes a link to the post in question, so all you really need is an explanation of why you are reporting the post. How long the explanation needs to be would depend on how obvious it is that the post violated a forum rule, I think, with less obvious violations requiring more explanation.

hamishspence
2008-10-17, 04:11 PM
Thats also how I do it. One word opinion, and let the post speak for itself.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 04:31 PM
No, of course not. :smallconfused:

ok good, i just wanted to make sure that if you reported somebody you wouldn't get in trouble for seeming petty
from
EE

Serpentine
2008-10-17, 10:57 PM
I kinda get bored just writing "spam" all the time, so I get a bit musical with it...

"Spam spam spam spam eggs baked beans and spam"
"SPAM spam spam spam, SPAM spam spam spam. WONDERFUL SPAM! Wonderful spam!"

hamishspence
2008-10-18, 05:08 AM
The rules on what a post can be reported for are pretty clear: if post violates them, you can report, with a clear conscience.

If it doen't violate them, report will be ignored, I suspect.