PDA

View Full Version : Get the reference, win 100 points [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-18, 11:20 PM
Iron Slasher
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/Duelist-1.jpg
Sasha Dawn, wielding her elven thinblade, cruelty.

Fencers are practitioners of the gentlemanly art of sword-play, where a man might keep his honor intact in an organized duel. Iron slashers, however, have learned how to kill a man with a sword. They are merciless warriors that forgo the typical weapons of large greatswords or greataxes, and have decided on the use of a lighter weapon, only training with one as if it were just as great and powerful as a greatsword.
Adaptation: Don't feel the need to limit the class to only two weapons if you so desire another one. Other weapons that might suit the bill for this class could be shortswords, scimitars, daggers or even things like handaxes or shortspears.

HD: d8

Requirements
BAB: +7
Skills: Balance 10 ranks, Concentration 10 ranks, Martial Lore 2 ranks
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier or elven thinblade), Weapon Specialization (rapier or elven thinblade)
Maneuvers: Ability to use 4th level maneuvers of the Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines.
Special: Must have a rapier or elven thinblade of at least masterwork quality.

Class Skills: Bluff, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Martial Lore, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Swim and Tumble.
Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Iron slash, AC bonus
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Painful thrusting strike
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Merciless onslaught
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Bonus feat
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Stance of great cruelty
6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Bloody thrusting strike
7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Treacherous sword parry
8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Bonus feat
9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Vicious slasher stance
10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Deadly thrusting strike
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|0|0
2nd|0|1|0
3rd|1|0|0
4th|0|0|1
5th|1|0|0
6th|0|1|0
7th|1|0|0
8th|0|0|1
9th|1|0|0
10th|0|1|0
[/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Iron slashers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At each odd level, an iron slasher gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816) disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full iron slasher levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At levels 2nd, 6th and 10th, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 4th and 8th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816) disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Iron Slash (Ex): At first level, you have learned enough about how to handle a finesse weapon, you can apply force and finesse into a single strike. From this point on, any rapier or elven thinblade you wield is capable of doing both slashing or piercing damage attack per attack. Additionally, any attacks made with the same weapons can apply both their Str and Dex modifiers to damage instead of just Str. This extra damage is limited to an amount equal to your iron slasher level until level 6, when the limit is removed.

AC Bonus (Ex): Iron slashers are capable of dodging and weaving with great insight and expertise. If wearing light or no armor, iron slashers receive an insight bonus to their Armor Class equal to their Intelligence modifier. This bonus to AC is limited to an amount equal to your iron slasher level until level 6, when the limit is removed.

Painful Thrusting Strike (Ex): At 2nd level, you learn a special boost that allows you to aim not for lethal stabs and slashes, but those that would be cripplingly painful. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 4th level boost, and does not belong to any discipline. By using this boost, for one full round, each strike you make less than lethal but excruciating. All damage dealt is considered nonlethal, but with each attack the victim must make a Fort save (DC 14+Int modifier) or be considered stunned until your next turn. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the effects of this maneuver.

Merciless Onslaught (Ex): At 3rd level, your blows are precise and overwhelming compared to a normal stab or slash. To use this class feature, you must make a full attack action against a single foe, and have not moved during your turn. Each successful attack that deals damage made during the full attack can push the foe back five feet and allows you to move the same distance in the same direction as the victim being pushed. The foe can resist moving back by making a DC 10+iron slasher level+Str modifier Fort save.

Bonus Feats: At 4th level, and again at 8th level, an iron slasher receives a bonus feat from the fighter bonus feat list. Iron slasher levels stack with warblade and fighter levels for determining their equivalent fighter level for feats.

Stance of Great Cruelty (Ex): At 5th level, you learn a special stance that causes each strike you make with your weapon particularly cruel and deadly as you cut tendons, muscles and veins. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, all your weapons deal an additional 1d3 points of Con damage with each successful attack they make against a foe. This damage stacks with the Con damage delivered by the Bloody Thrusting Strike(see below).

Bloody Thrusting Strike (Ex): At 6th level, you learn a strike that punches your weapon deep into an important passageway for blood in the victim's body. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 7th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. When you take a standard action to use this strike against an opponent, if the strike is successful, the victim takes an additional 10d6 points of damage and 1d8 Con damage. They may make a Fort save (DC 17+Int modifier) to reduce the Con damage by half. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the effects of this maneuver.

Treacherous Sword Parry (Ex): At 7th level, you gain the knowledge of a special counter used for making foes slash themselves apart. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 7th level counter, and does not belong to any discipline. To use this counter, you must make an opposed attack roll against someone making an attack against you with a manufactured melee weapon. If your attack roll overcomes theirs, they instead take the damage that would have been dealt to you(including damage from maneuvers) as well as a bonus to damage equal to your Str and Dex modifiers.

Vicious Slasher Stance (Ex): At 9th level, you learn a stance of extreme deadliness and almost animalistic brutality. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, and when making a full attack action, you gain an additional attack at your full attack bonus, and each attack you make deals 1 point of damage to each of the victims physical ability scores. While in this stance, the iron slasher takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class as they thrust and pierce with ferocity.

Deadly Thrusting Strike (Ex): At 10th level, you learn how to place but a single blow and end a victim's life. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 9th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. As a full-round action, you take a moment to examine the foe and balance yourself to pierce or slash perfectly. You must first make a Balance check, with a DC equal to their Armor Class. If this check is successful, you then make a melee attack against the opponent, if the strike hits, the victim must make a Fort save (DC 19+Int modifier). If the victim fails its save, it falls instantly dead as you literally cut their life short. If they pass their save, they do not instantly die, but the strike strike such a vital area that they still take 20d6 points of extra damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the effects of this maneuver.
If your Balance check fails, you can make a single attack normally, but the maneuver is considered to be expended.

Fizban
2008-10-19, 08:44 AM
I know it's not Zorro. Maybe Highlander?

Great PrC as always, though the amount of con damage bandies about these days is chilling. In order to facillitate additional weapon choice, you could state "any light or 1 handed weapon that deals only piercing damage".

Kiren
2008-10-19, 03:26 PM
pirates of the Caribbean?

Lappy9000
2008-10-19, 03:46 PM
I really hope it's not Kill Bill. I'd have to hate you then.

Otherwise, nice class, though!

Prometheus
2008-10-19, 05:40 PM
It is too obscure to be any of those things, whatever it is. I did a google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=R3g&q=%22iron+slasher%22&btnG=Search) and this is all that I could come up with:-A special weapon wielded by Mitsurugi in Soul Calibur (http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_slasher)
-A mysterious masked man in a series of ghetto youtube videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KiUlupWZK0)
-a rugged warror from Radiata Stories (http://radiata.wikia.com/wiki/Gerald)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-19, 05:52 PM
Here's a hint: It's in the flavor text.

ZeroNumerous
2008-10-19, 05:55 PM
The Princess Bride? Specifically, Inigo Montaya?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-19, 06:10 PM
No one's got it yet.
(Also, feel free to talk about the class...)

Saint Nil
2008-10-19, 06:17 PM
Aw, I thought it was a prestige class that had to do about dealing damage in a game show like format.:smallfrown:

Interesting class though.

Knaight
2008-10-19, 06:19 PM
The reference is The Far Arena, specifically the part where the gladiator kills the fencer, which I believe you quoted pretty much verbatim but changed the word Gladiator into Iron Slasher, as for the class you should seriously include more weapons that work with it, and the capstone ability is a bit overpowered and has way too many steps anyways.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-19, 06:22 PM
The reference is The Far Arena, specifically the part where the gladiator kills the fencer, which I believe you quoted pretty much verbatim but changed the word Gladiator into Iron Slasher, as for the class you should seriously include more weapons that work with it, and the capstone ability is a bit overpowered and has way too many steps anyways.

Bzzt, wrong.

But I don't think it's too overpowered, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the 9th level Tiger Claw maneuver.

Knaight
2008-10-19, 06:37 PM
You have no idea how close it is to the part in the Far Arena then(which you should read if you haven't, amazing book).

As for the power its an instant kill without an attack roll, using a fortitude save instead. Its incredibly powerful, although compared to casters its fine, so it fits in a game where you bring martial characters up as opposed to casters down power wise.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-19, 07:33 PM
You have no idea how close it is to the part in the Far Arena then(which you should read if you haven't, amazing book).

As for the power its an instant kill without an attack roll, using a fortitude save instead. Its incredibly powerful, although compared to casters its fine, so it fits in a game where you bring martial characters up as opposed to casters down power wise.

Deadly Thrusting Strike (Ex): At 10th level, you learn how to place but a single blow and end a victim's life. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 9th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. As a full-round action, you take a moment to examine the foe and balance yourself to pierce or slash perfectly. You must first make a Balance check, with a DC equal to their Armor Class. If this check is successful, you then make a melee attack against the opponent, if the strike hits, the victim must make a Fort save (DC 19+Int modifier). If the victim fails its save, it falls instantly dead as you literally cut their life short. If they pass their save, they do not instantly die, but the strike strike such a vital area that they still take 20d6 points of extra damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the effects of this maneuver.
If your Balance check fails, you can make a single attack normally, but the maneuver is considered to be expended.
There's a skill check and a melee attack.

Knaight
2008-10-19, 07:42 PM
I didn't see the attack, although the skill check is pretty much a guaranteed success if the character is at all optimized. It still seems absurdly powerful though.

Shinobi_Guyver
2008-10-19, 08:42 PM
It sounds like a line from "The Art of Japanese Warfare," but I'm not entirely sure.

SilentNight
2008-10-19, 08:50 PM
I dunno about the reference but great class! Nice to see the fencers get some more notice. It may be too powerful even. STR and DEX to damage, INT to AC and 1d3 CON give ample opportunities to power-game. Although I suppose it's not any more broken than the rest of the Tome of Battle. Nice job.

Fizban
2008-10-19, 11:26 PM
I'm assuming the relevant flavor text line is kill a man with a sword. I know I've heard it somewhere, in an "intimidate the rookie and teach him the ropes" kinda situation. Oblivion, Gladiator Arena Master.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-20, 01:09 AM
I'm assuming the relevant flavor text line is kill a man with a sword. I know I've heard it somewhere, in an "intimidate the rookie and teach him the ropes" kinda situation. Oblivion, Gladiator Arena Master.

So close yet so far. You picked the right reference, right situation, wrong thing.

AgentPaper
2008-10-20, 02:48 AM
Wild stab in the dark, is it from Princess Bride?

Ascension
2008-10-20, 03:18 AM
Gladiator, killing a man with a sword...

Is it a reference to the song "The School of Instant Pain" by Triumvirat, by any chance?

Fizban
2008-10-20, 01:32 PM
The only other thing I've watched recently enough to remember is Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but that wouldn't be focusing on the killing a man part. But obviously I'm throwing it out there since I'm posting.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-20, 05:43 PM
Still no points given yet.

I also reduced the damage from the vicious slasher stance from 1d3 to 1.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-20, 05:50 PM
Hmm... Serenity?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-20, 05:52 PM
Hmm... Serenity?

Nope. Another hint, albeit likely a terrible hint; It's not as mainstream as a good deal of the suggestions so far. Think more obscure material.

Stycotl
2008-10-21, 03:20 PM
reference: no clue. reminds me of a rage against the machine song.

class: too good of a 1dt level dip in my opinion. str AND dex to wpn damage, and int to ac all in the first level.

other than that, cool beans. i like it.

aaron out.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-21, 03:52 PM
reference: no clue. reminds me of a rage against the machine song.

class: too good of a 1dt level dip in my opinion. str AND dex to wpn damage, and int to ac all in the first level.

other than that, cool beans. i like it.

aaron out.

What if the bonus to AC were limited by their Iron slasher level until say, about level 6? Possibly the same with the Dex to damage.

Innis Cabal
2008-10-21, 03:58 PM
No ones gotten it yet huh....well I'm probably wrong here Krimm but, Beserk.

Great class anyway.

Attilargh
2008-10-21, 04:05 PM
I recall an old fencing instructor in Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora teaching rich fops to fence and thieves to kill people. With, among other things, swords.

My inexperienced eye for optimization agrees, the first level is too good. The class feels awfully powerful in general, which hints at it being pretty darn good. I want to play one.

KevLar
2008-10-21, 04:05 PM
Reference: Google brought me here (http://books.google.com/books?id=KtQ3YhOYIq4C&pg=PA314&lpg=PA314&dq=%22kill+a+man+with+a+sword%22&source=web&ots=D11aDcRQ56&sig=b22Zhc9MZcjrmjmOvpyYLCdyTTM&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result).
Never heard of it, either, to be honest. :smalltongue:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-21, 04:08 PM
I recall an old fencing instructor in Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora teaching rich fops to fence and thieves to kill people. With, among other things, swords.

My inexperienced eye for optimization agrees, the first level is too good. The class feels awfully powerful in general, which hints at it being pretty darn good. I want to play one.

Ding ding ding! Enjoy your points.

I'll probably get back to your other comments once my bloodsugar rises above 50.

Attilargh
2008-10-21, 04:22 PM
I will, thank you very much. :smallcool: I can only thank the comparatively small amount of fantasy literature that gets translated in Finnish and my excellet local library for this.

Also, I notice I didn't actually sa much anything up there. By "pretty damn good" I mean "well-balanced". Stupid PHB classes, skewing my sense of combat utility.

Also also, Diplomacy feels kinda out of place in the skill list, but I guess it's necessary if you want to be a proper gentleman bastard.

Finally, Merciless Onslaught could use a note of whether a character can move after the victim as it is pushed back or not.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-22, 07:27 PM
I will, thank you very much. :smallcool: I can only thank the comparatively small amount of fantasy literature that gets translated in Finnish and my excellet local library for this.

Also, I notice I didn't actually sa much anything up there. By "pretty damn good" I mean "well-balanced". Stupid PHB classes, skewing my sense of combat utility.

Also also, Diplomacy feels kinda out of place in the skill list, but I guess it's necessary if you want to be a proper gentleman bastard.

Finally, Merciless Onslaught could use a note of whether a character can move after the victim as it is pushed back or not.

Thought about this just today, I'll alter that.

Stycotl
2008-10-23, 01:12 AM
What if the bonus to AC were limited by their Iron slasher level until say, about level 6? Possibly the same with the Dex to damage.

that'd be perfect.

also, intriguing book. i might have to go find it. read a few reviews on the internet, and people seem to like it.

aaron out.