PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Radiant Savant PrC - help me refine!

Leicontis
2008-10-20, 01:23 PM
One of the characters in the campaign I'm running right now is an exalted Aasimar wizard descended from a lantern archon (long story). She's really playing up the celestial heritage of the character, and is focusing on light-based spells as much as possible. Since I couldn't find a RAW PrC for this, I decided to create the Radiant Savant:

Radiant Savant
Hit Die: d4
Requirements
To qualify to become a radiant savant, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any good.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 10 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks.
Spells: Ability to cast at least five spells with the Light descriptor, at least two of which must be 3rd level or higher.
Class Skills
The radiant savant’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis),.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Reflex|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Bright Light, Extended Spell List (1st)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Radiant Turning, Extended Spell List (2nd)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Hold the Light (low-light), Extended Spell List (3rd)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Extended Spell List (4th)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Enduring Light|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Hold the Light (darkvision), Extended Spell List (6th)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Greater Turning, Extended Spell List (7th)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Potent Light|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Extended Spell List (9th)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Hold the Light (perfect darkvision)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the radiant savant prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A radiant savant gains no bonus weapon or armor proficiencies.
Bright Light (Su): Any light created by a radiant savant is significantly brighter than that created by other spellcasters. The radius of all of her spells and spell-like abilities with the Light descriptor is doubled.
Radiant Turning (Su): A radiant savant gains the ability to channel light as a good cleric channels positive energy, allowing her to turn and destroy undead as a cleric of her radiant savant level. This requires the radiant savant to hold out any light-emitting object, the light from which briefly intensifies and turns pure white. Naturally, this makes obscuring the source or location of the turning attempt rather difficult. Temporary light sources (such as a lantern, torch, or Light spell) are extinguished when used in this fashion, while permanent magical light sources are suppressed for 1d4 rounds.
Greater Turning (Su): A radiant savant gains the Greater Turning granted power of the Sun domain.
Hold the Light (Ex): A radiant savant’s love of light is so great that, even when others are unable to see through the darkness, her path is still lit. She gains low-light vision (or the range of her existing low-light vision is doubled). At level X, she gains darkvision with a range of 60 feet (or the range of her existing darkvision is increased by 30 feet). At level Y, her darkvision improves, allowing her to see in color and through magical darkness.
Potent Light (Su): At level Z, a radiant savant’s light becomes more intense, allowing it to better drive back the darkness. All of the radiant savant’s spells and spell-like abilities with the Light descriptor are treated as one spell level higher for all purposes. This does not, however, affect the level of the spell slot occupied. For example, a Zth level radiant savant casting the Daylight spell would need to use a 3rd level spell slot, but the spell would be treated as 4th level once cast.
Enduring Light (Su): The light of a radiant savant is difficult to extinguish. Treat all of her spells and spell-like abilities with the Light descriptor and a limited duration as though they had been modified by the Extend Spell metamagic feat, but without increasing the spell level or casting time. In addition, increase the DC to dispel any such effect by +1.
Expanded Spell List: A radiant savant adds the following spells to her class spell list, and gains the ability to use divine scrolls of these spells. However, she cannot cast any of these spells more than once per day, unless she has access to the spell from another source.
Level 1: Nimbus of Light, Faerie Fire
Level 2: Heartfire
Level 3: Searing Light
Level 4: Shadowblast
Level 6: Anger of the Noonday Sun
Level 7: Holy Star
Level 9: Righteous Aura (1d6/level, max 20d6)
This is not intended to be a superpowered class, but I also don't want it to be underpowered. If you want to compare this to something like IotSV, fine, but I want this to be weaker than that, considering how powerful an arcane caster is already.

Suggestions? Critiques? Invective?

thegurullamen
2008-10-20, 01:47 PM
Two recommendations:

A) Its BAB goes down as it levels up. That is...not so good. Fix the progression.

B) Darkvision at level ten is a little meh for a capstone. Warlocks do the same thing at first level. I recommend blindsight out to 30 ft./True Seeing out to 10 or 5 ft.

Jack_Simth
2008-10-20, 02:04 PM
It's a full casting Wizard PrC, and the requirements aren't harsh, so it's not underpowered. Sure, it's not the Incantatrix, and it's not the Initiate of the Seven-Fold Veil, but it's not underpowered.

There's actually very little of the abilities that are of practical use - but again, that doesn't matter overly much, as it's a full casting PrC. Make sure to put a few hordes of low-HD undead into your adventures, and it'll be fine.

Baron Corm
2008-10-20, 03:49 PM
There's actually very little of the abilities that are of practical use.

Agreed. I think that what you want is not a prestige class, but homebrewed Light spells. There's not really enough in that class as you have it to justify being a class, and I think that's directly related to the lack of good Light spells.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-20, 04:42 PM
There is a prestige class in Libris Mortis call the Master of Radiance (LM, pages 44-46). It's only a 5-level PrC, but it is centered around light-based powers, & it has 4 levels of normal caster progression (divine). The MoR's searing light & radiant aura are both worth a look.

BTW, this is somewhat similar to my upcoming arcane PrC, the Photomancer. Great minds, eh?

Leicontis
2008-10-20, 07:18 PM
Fixed the table.

Another ability I'm looking at adding:
Holy Light (Su): Any spell you cast with the [Light] descriptor gain the [Good] descriptor automatically.

One thing that might up the class's power (in a way that makes me hesitant to do it) would be to make the turning into actual turning (though still glowy), thus giving the user access to turning-related feats. Though DMM on a wizard - *shudder*...

thegurullamen
2008-10-20, 07:26 PM
Fixed the table.

The saves are wrong.

Leicontis
2008-10-20, 07:44 PM
Saves fixed. Manually copying tables is a pain.

I don't mind this class only adding a little bit of power, much of which isn't super-useful. IMO, Wizard doesn't exactly need a huge power boost, and these abilities pretty much just replace the 2 feats the character would get for Wizard levels, so unlike some classes, the character isn't giving up much to take the class.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-10-20, 08:00 PM
This character isn't going to be able to turn anything that drops XP. That may or may not be a problem for you, but I thought I'd point it out. If you want the Radiant Savant's turning power to be anything more than flavor text, you should A) use character level rather than class level or B) better yet, use a turning variant such as the one from Comple Divine that is actually somewhat useful at reduced turning level and/or high level.

As an aside, there are approximately zero PrCs in all of 3e that are actually justifiable as independant classes, so I wouldn't worry overmuch about adding yet another one.

TS

Leicontis
2008-10-22, 05:00 PM
Modified turning abilities:
Channel Light (Su): A radiant savant gains the ability to channel light as a good cleric channels positive energy, allowing her to damage nearby undead. This requires the radiant savant to hold out any light-emitting object, the light from which briefly intensifies and turns pure white. Naturally, this makes obscuring the source or location of the turning attempt rather difficult. All undead creatures within 30 feet of the radiant savant take 1d6 points of damage per class level. A successful Will saving throw (DC 10 + ½ class level + Cha modifier) halves this damage, and undead with turn resistance subtract their turn resistance from the damage taken. Undead that are vulnerable to sunlight take a -2 penalty on this save. Temporary light sources (such as a lantern, torch, or Light spell) are extinguished when used in this fashion, while permanent magical light sources are suppressed for 1d4 rounds. This ability can be used 3 + Cha modifier times per day, though the Extra Turning feat can be taken to gain three additional uses per day.
Greater Channel Light (Su): Once per day, when using her Channel Light ability, a radiant savant of at least 7th level can choose to channel more intense light. Any affected undead with Hit Dice less than or equal to the radiant savant’s class level are destroyed if they fail their Will save.
But I'm still trying to figure out where to put the Holy Light ability I described above.

KKL
2008-10-22, 05:47 PM
First or fourth. Former because well, it's an ability that seems like what you'd get on initial entry. Latter because four's past the dip level, and three's loaded while four has only one thing.