PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stating out Rita Repulsa's Putty Patrollers.

newbDM
2008-10-21, 08:38 PM
If you have seen my thread on Rita and her realm on the General Board (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5150052#post5150052) then you probably know what this is.

Here is my attempt so far with these guys:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/puttypatrollers.jpg
The Putty Patrollers

Construct Warrior 1
TN Medium Construct
CR: ????
Init: +7
Senses: Darkvision out to 60 feet; Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages: None. Understand Common, Dwarven, Elven.
AC: 13 (+3 Dex), Touch 13, Flat 10
HP: 24 (1 HD)
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will 0
Speed: 30ft
Melee: 2x Unarmed Strikes +4 (1d3/20)(Bludgeoning)
Base Atk: +1
Grp: +1
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con -, Int 8, Wiz 10, Cha 3
SQ:
-Hide and Move Silently are class skills for Putty Patrollers.
-Putty Patrollers gain +8 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.

Construct Traits:
-Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
-Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
-Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
-Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
-Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
-Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
-Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
-Proficient with its natural weapons only.
-Proficient with no armor.
-Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Finesse: (Unarmed Strike)
Skills: Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Listen +0, Spot +0
Hook: Blop bleep blooop blop...

Notes on this:

My target CR was 1/2 or 1 (still not sure). What do you think it turned out to be?
I based this all on a 1HD construct using the Construct type.
I gave them the Construct Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType).
I gave them one level of Warrior.
I know that for PCs if you only have one Racial HD it gets replaced when adding a Class level, so I assumed the same happens when you create monsters. Is this the case? Was I wrong?

So, can you guys please critique this and tell me what needs fixing?

Also, can a pro at this please tell me where the CR ended falling for this thing?

p.s. Here is the official WotC minis I will be using for these guys:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/72GoL20MediumAstralConstruct.jpg

Lappy9000
2008-10-21, 09:14 PM
Wait...Rita...low-budget filming....

Holy crap, this is from Power Rangers, isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

Why did you give them a class level, though? Warrior pretty much does nothing that an extra construct Hit Die couldn't do on its own.

CrazyMacGuy
2008-10-21, 09:23 PM
yea... construct with class levels seems out of place for these guys, since the power rangers regularly kicked there scrawny purple butts...

straight construct levels would probably give you the durability you want, but if there is a real reason you gave them a level in warrior tell us, we can help figure out if it fits...

ocato
2008-10-21, 10:02 PM
It would be kind of neat if you came up with stats for how to create them with the Craft Construct feat. The spells required, the XP, etc. If nothing else, they might make good mooks for a lowish level wizard on a budget.

newbDM
2008-10-21, 11:30 PM
Wait...Rita...low-budget filming....

Holy crap, this is from Power Rangers, isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, follow the link for the whole possible campaign or adventure I am trying to work out on the General board. :smallbiggrin:

And what do you mean "low-budget"? That show rocks! Heck, it still rocks today as reruns. I want to smack you so bad...

Why did you give them a class level, though? Warrior pretty much does nothing that an extra construct Hit Die couldn't do on its own.

yea... construct with class levels seems out of place for these guys, since the power rangers regularly kicked there scrawny purple butts...

straight construct levels would probably give you the durability you want, but if there is a real reason you gave them a level in warrior tell us, we can help figure out if it fits...

Well, I guess I did it for the following reasons:

To give me a bases for where to start I guess. I am still extremely new to the making monsters thing.
I was trying to make them around the CR 1/2 - CR1 range, and if I remember correctly adding a level of warrior basically turns a 1HD creature's CR to 1/2. (Was I correct one this, or mistaken?)

And I am having a real hard time debating with myself whether I actually want to make them "durable" or not. I want them to be lower level, so they will fight in numbers. Since in shows like Power Rangers, the Putties (or the equivalents) are the first encountered baddies the heroes face, who are originally a challenge, but later end up being nothing but cannon fodder and distractions used by the head BBEG, I want to make them something the PCs slightly to somewhat struggle with at the early levels (1-5 or 6ish I guess?), but will then still be somewhat useful as goons for the BBEG and her Generals. Hence I am having a hard time deciding whether I actually want them CR1/2, CR1, or perhaps even CR2+.

It would be kind of neat if you came up with stats for how to create them with the Craft Construct feat. The spells required, the XP, etc. If nothing else, they might make good mooks for a lowish level wizard on a budget.

Wow, someone else would actually wants to use them? :smallsmile:

Well, here is my attempt at describing how to make them (please remember I am inexperienced at this):

Construction
A Putty Patroller's body is formed from a rare mud found on the moon Luner around secluded natural ponds. These ponds are almost always fed by a vast network of underground streams beneath Luner's rocky surface. Enough of this clay to sculpt a Putty Patroller usually fetches around 100gp. (This part pertains to my setting as shown in the above link. Feel free to ignore/change it).

The sculptor attempting to create a Putty Patroller from this clay must also treat it with certain rare oils and powders (costing 150gp), and then sculpt the putty's form from it (a DC15 Craft: [Pottery] check).

The sculptor must also have access to a specially constructed magical/psionic (your/DM's choice) furnace (worth 2000gp) to bake the putties.

CL/ML 5th; Craft Construct, Fabricate (power or spell version); caster/manifester must be 5th level; Price: 600gp; Cost: 250gp +16xp.

Burley
2008-10-22, 07:56 AM
Will you be having the Improved Putties, with the big knives and boulders replacing their hands? Or, Zed's Putties with the...giant self-destruct button... on their chests?

Lappy9000
2008-10-22, 08:09 AM
And what do you mean "low-budget"? That show rocks! Heck, it still rocks today as reruns. I want to smack you so bad...

Low-budget doesn't mean that the show wasn't good. In fact, the movies were criticized for being "untrue" to the television series, largely because they had a much larger budget and could actually fork out the extra dough for improved special effects and such.

Besides, a smack only deals 1d3 damage and I have Damage Reduction 5/Gluten anyway.

Baron Corm
2008-10-22, 10:17 AM
The putties from the show seem to have a rudimentary understanding of how to lose a martial arts battle, so I think Warrior 1 is appropriate. Generally though, monsters don't replace their first HD, unless it is specifically for a race, or it is a Humanoid.

Also, they don't have 2 unarmed strikes, even though they have 2 hands. Just one. Since it is "unarmed strike", and not "slam", it goes off of normal iterative attacks. If you want you can change it to two natural slam attacks.

Since it has the construct type and is therefore immune to a bunch of stuff, I would bump the CR up to 1 even as you have it. Adding the racial HD of construct like I said above would keep their HP balanced for that CR. You're not "wrong" with the CR you chose; CR is mostly eyeballing.

Edit: The bonus HP from construct actually balances that pretty well... and you're perfectly allowed to bend the rules so you don't really have to add the Construct HD... *shrug*

littlechicory
2008-10-22, 11:26 AM
The nostalgia, it burns...

I think the warrior HD is appropriate, though I haven't watched Power Rangers in forever and a half... /two cents

newbDM
2008-10-24, 08:28 AM
Will you be having the Improved Putties, with the big knives and boulders replacing their hands? Or, Zed's Putties with the...giant self-destruct button... on their chests?

Was thinking about it.

For the improved putties (anyone remember their name?), I guess I would just replace their unarmed strike(s) with a slashing claw attack, and a claw attack but with bludgeoning instead? Maybe give them some natural armour to reflect their "improved" abilities, and maybe some more HD? Not sure how many HD, though.

As for the Z Putties, I have definitely been wanting to stat those up. No clue how, though. Seems like a very unusual creature. Practically indestructible, yet a punch to the Z on their chest fragments them?

Low-budget doesn't mean that the show wasn't good. In fact, the movies were criticized for being "untrue" to the television series, largely because they had a much larger budget and could actually fork out the extra dough for improved special effects and such.

True I guess. I believe I remember feeling sorta the same way back then.

I still wonder why they didn't keep the "better" costumes and props from the movie, though. Never understood the reasoning behind that.

The putties from the show seem to have a rudimentary understanding of how to lose a martial arts battle, so I think Warrior 1 is appropriate. Generally though, monsters don't replace their first HD, unless it is specifically for a race, or it is a Humanoid.

Really?

Also, they don't have 2 unarmed strikes, even though they have 2 hands. Just one. Since it is "unarmed strike", and not "slam", it goes off of normal iterative attacks. If you want you can change it to two natural slam attacks.

Actually, I had first stated them out with two slam attacks, but for some reason I felt that was wrong.

Which version do you guys feel would be more true to the show?

Since it has the construct type and is therefore immune to a bunch of stuff, I would bump the CR up to 1 even as you have it. Adding the racial HD of construct like I said above would keep their HP balanced for that CR. You're not "wrong" with the CR you chose; CR is mostly eyeballing.

Edit: The bonus HP from construct actually balances that pretty well... and you're perfectly allowed to bend the rules so you don't really have to add the Construct HD... *shrug*

Will add. Thanks for the advice!

I guess I was confused, because I figured that monsters which were meant to be beat in numbers were supposed to have few HD. I guess this will still make them useful at mid level as help for the monsters, though?

Baron Corm
2008-10-24, 12:03 PM
I guess this will still make them useful at mid level as help for the monsters, though?

Putties are hard to make useful at higher levels by their stat block alone. Something with +1 to attack will not be able to hit something of high level unless it rolls a 20, and even then it's not doing much damage. See the OotS arc where they're defending Azure City. Rita never sent that many thousands of putties anyway.

A way to fix this would be giving them something which is useful against higher levels, but still not overpowered against low-levels, like a touch attack dealing negative effects (ability damage, status conditions, etc), or unavoidable negative effects for hitting or killing them. Unfortunately, putties just don't get anything like that.

The best you can do in this circumstance is use them, as a DM, in ways which will hinder or distract the players, but don't have anything to do with their stats. For example, put them in front of ranged attackers so meleers can't get to them, or throw five at a party while a more powerful creature sneaks in without them noticing. They can also be used to soften the players up before the fight with the main guy, just like how Rita usually used them. They probably won't deal any damage, but if the players use any per day or per encounter abilities against them, they have served their purpose.

Dhagon
2010-09-10, 08:34 AM
Why don't you give them an ability similar to the Formian Observer? That way at higher levels if they ignore the putties long enough to just fight the boss, eventually the putties start striking them. Maybe not for much damage, but it might be annoying/distracting enough to make them useful.

Or you might grant them some kind of distraction bonus to the boss. On the other hand it could be a moral bonus like the gladiator PrC got.

Going with the above, you could also use them as bait. They might not be bright enough, but a BBEG might. It could even just be a setup so he can appear in a suitably lit and elevated location to monologue.

For Z Putties, a crit should instantly destroy one. Called Shots would be necessary once they realized their weakness. Otherwise, just treat them as invulnerable.

sigurd
2010-09-10, 03:12 PM
I'd let them keep their one hd of construct dice and add the warrior class.

I'd shave the +7 init back to +5 - they did seem to get first attack a lot but that might have been a power ranger strategy too.

I'd give them +2 nat armor bonus - Putties are pretty tough

I'd let them speak their own 'Putty Speak' among themselves. Give them a supernatural ability to find teleport portals and respond to scrying commands.

I'd allow a putty leader to have up to 3 levels of warrior and change the CR appropriately.

I know they mostly fought with bare hands but if they have warrior proficiencies they should be able to use them.

My guess is that Putties are formed from Abyssal Mud bargained for by Rita Repulsa. She's got the mania of someone who owes favours to bad people. Perhaps it requires Abyssal Mud and the Simulacrum spell.

I'd like to see this finished - they make an interesting low level mook.