PDA

View Full Version : Exalted feat for breath weapons (3.5)

Stycotl
2008-10-22, 01:08 PM
Strip the Foul Soul (Exalted)
Your breath weapon has the power to sear the essence of evil from your foes as easily as a razor flays the flesh, leaving them weak and vulnerable.
Prerequisites: breath weapon, Cha 18, Nimbus of Light, character 18th level
Effects: An evil creature that is struck by your breath weapon must make a successful Fortitude save against the DC of the breath weapon, or suffer the effects of an area targetting greater dispel magic, with a caster level equal to your hit dice. Further, an evil creature failing its Fortitude save is also afflicted as with an especially potent form of the Celestial Lightsblood ravage, dealing 1d4+creature's Cha modifier of Dex and Wis damage immediately, and the same amount of Con damage one minute later. An evil elemental or undead takes an extra 2 points of damage to each affected ability, and an evil outsider, or evil cleric of an evil deity takes an extra 4 points. The ravage ignores poison immunity granted by racial traits. This effect activates your Nimbus of Light if not already active, and causes the breath weapon to radiate the same light.

Stycotl
2008-10-28, 10:38 PM
bump. no fish biting this week? come one, exalted dragon, what's not to love about that?

wadledo
2008-10-29, 04:04 PM
Only 1/2 extra damage for undead/outsider?:smallconfused:

Innis Cabal
2008-10-29, 04:15 PM
Looks alright to me. It dosn't really matter if your breath weapon has light...it just seems like fluff..and needless as it disapates instantly.

Magnor Criol
2008-10-29, 05:57 PM
It seems like the extra damage to evil creatures should either be higher, or scale with level (or both). A flat extra 1 or 2 damage at 18th level means nothing whatsoever. An extra 1 or 2 damage per your HD, or an extra 4d6 damage (mimicking damage dealt by spells gained a level or two lower than 18) - that means something. An extra 1d6 damage per two HD, that really means something.

Other than that, it looks quite good. I like its flavor.

Stycotl
2008-11-04, 11:16 PM
It seems like the extra damage to evil creatures should either be higher, or scale with level (or both). A flat extra 1 or 2 damage at 18th level means nothing whatsoever. An extra 1 or 2 damage per your HD, or an extra 4d6 damage (mimicking damage dealt by spells gained a level or two lower than 18) - that means something. An extra 1d6 damage per two HD, that really means something.

Other than that, it looks quite good. I like its flavor.

really, all i did there was write out the stats for the ravage in the book of exalted deeds. it isn't really any different than that. but if you guys think that it deserves a little power boost, then i'd certainly like to oblige you. i think i get overcautious sometimes, not wanting it to be too powerful. but it is an 18th level feat after all. for dragons.

Looks alright to me. It dosn't really matter if your breath weapon has light...it just seems like fluff..and needless as it disapates instantly.

yeah. that's pretty much all it was there for--fluff. the only real game effect that it might have (at least, the one that is glaringly obvious to me right now) is if said dragon is trying to hide in the shadows while using the breath weapon.

Only 1/2 extra damage for undead/outsider?

eh? 1 extra or 2 extra dependent upon the target. the boed states the same, just in a paragraph's worth of words. so i shortened it up for the feat.

over all, if you guys think this could use a power boost, let me know. i want to stay away from normal damage, though i am not closed off completely to the idea. i would rather, if it needs boosting, up the amount of ravage damage done (now, there's a cool phrase). maybe i should drop this to 15th or 12th level or so, and then say that it does an extra +1 ravage damage/4 levels, or per 5 levels or so. it would be pointless to give it a /level effect if you can't get it till 18th level, so it feels like it would need to be dropped to a lower level. at the same time, it might be just me, but i think that 15th is about the lowest that i could see this going, and in my mind, that is pushing it already (hence why i put it at 18th)...

whaddya think?

Stycotl
2008-11-10, 11:27 PM
ok, in order to up the power of the feat, keeping it at 18th level, i added wisdom damage to the initial effect. thus, this ravage affects every save-affecting ability now. not by a lot, though that can be killer with a high-charisma user, but still fairly formidable. the wis and dex are affected immediately, and the con a minute later.

that way, it seems a bit more potent, seems worthier of an 18th level feat to me, and yet, isn't as bad as would be increasing the damage done. if it still needs to be improved, then i will just double the racial damage bonus (+2 if undead, +2 evil cleric, etc), but that is as far as i dare take it. maybe, if it still needed more power, i'd just have to increase the dispel effect, maybe make it trigger some kind of zone of antimagic on the foe or something....