PDA

View Full Version : Woman arrested for "murder" of virtual husband

Crispy Dave
2008-10-24, 10:47 AM
all here folks (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5002721.ece)

tell me what you think I think its hilarious.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-24, 10:53 AM
And that people, is why you should not play Maple Story.:smalltongue:

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 10:54 AM
that is one of hte funnies things i've ever seen, and yet so sad
from
EE

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-24, 10:56 AM
i hope they do chuck her in prison

shes clearly mental

Crispy Dave
2008-10-24, 10:59 AM
uhhh guys she didn't acualy murder the person she just deleted his charicter.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:04 AM
we are being sarcastic,

I think that she should be put away for life
from
EE

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-24, 11:05 AM

yes - but thats destruction of property/data tampering still, and (depending on japans laws) the guys probably got a lock solid case for intentional emotional distress if he decided to persue legal matters

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:07 AM
emotional distress for losing a character
from
EE

Tirian
2008-10-24, 11:07 AM
And that people, is why you should not play Maple Story.:smalltongue:

I think the moral is to not get e-married to a meatspace stranger in any game. That's just ten times of creepy.

Still, if he gave her his password, then it's a bit hard to accuse her of illegitimate account access. And it's double weird that Maple Story doesn't have the wherewithal to undelete his character, which is all that it would take to eliminate the damages against him.

I've got a shiny nickle that says that the woman will not be charged with a crime.

dish
2008-10-24, 11:10 AM

I think we realised.

I also doubt she'll be charged. And if she is, I'm sure they'll just give her the minimum fine rather than a prison sentence. (Unless there's more to the story that we haven't heard.)

Edit: crispydave - there's a typo in the thread title which makes it a bit confusing.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-24, 11:14 AM
I've got a shiny nickle that says that the woman will not be charged with a crime.

its 50-50 - in the current climate, legal authorities are keen to clamp down on data intrussion issues. Having the password doesn;t mean **** though. That would be like saying "hey hold onto a house key for me" to a girlfriend, breaking up with her, and then she decides to sell/break everything you own

plus with cases like this, its all pretty uncharted territory for the most part, and lawyers are all VERY keen to get their name attached to ground breaking cases - so i wouldn't bat an eyelid if a prosecutor decides to take a punt on it

Tirian
2008-10-24, 11:18 AM
yes - but thats destruction of property

Totally not. The only property here is Maple Story's servers, and she didn't damage them. It is a very very good thing that we don't "own" our online characters, if only because we'd have to pay income taxes every time we sell a magic sword for 1000 gold pieces.

someonenonotyou
2008-10-24, 11:56 AM
thats funny and a little sad i mean anger mangment

Haruki-kun
2008-10-24, 12:02 PM
I don't know if I should laugh or cry about this. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2008-10-24, 12:07 PM
I don't know if I should laugh or cry about this. :smallbiggrin:

Do both! :smallbiggrin:

*starts cryghing*

tribble
2008-10-24, 12:09 PM
Totally not. The only property here is Maple Story's servers, and she didn't damage them. It is a very very good thing that we don't "own" our online characters, if only because we'd have to pay income taxes every time we sell a magic sword for 1000 gold pieces.

But people PAY to play MMO's, dont they?
and the real reason you dont play MS is because they make you give them your SS number. no joke.

Lady Tialait
2008-10-24, 12:11 PM
I won't play MS...I don't play WoW either....I don' like MMOs, but anyway. Ssrly this girl needs chill....

Crispy Dave
2008-10-24, 12:14 PM
dammit this makes me want to go and play maple story for some reason. I didn't need that time anyway.

Haruki-kun
2008-10-24, 12:16 PM
But people PAY to play MMO's, dont they?
and the real reason you dont play MS is because they make you give them your SS number. no joke.

:smallconfused:

I had an account in MS. They never asked me for it.

Cristo Meyers
2008-10-24, 12:25 PM
:smallconfused:

I had an account in MS. They never asked me for it.

Same here, never asked.

Yeesh, first someone gets accused of virtual rape in Second Life and now a virtual murder in Maple Story...some folks should really take a cold hard look at their priorities in life...

Krrth
2008-10-24, 12:58 PM
Same here, never asked.

Yeesh, first someone gets accused of virtual rape in Second Life and now a virtual murder in Maple Story...some folks should really take a cold hard look at their priorities in life...
Now, for that part that makes you cry.....
Maybe they did....and this was the result.

Cristo Meyers
2008-10-24, 01:00 PM
Now, for that part that makes you cry.....
Maybe they did....and this was the result.

Somewhere Darwin is crying his eyes out...

Krrth
2008-10-24, 01:01 PM
Somewhere Darwin is crying his eyes out...

Well, maybe this will cheer Darwin up: People that into these things have a good chance of not reproducing.

Susil
2008-10-24, 01:18 PM
Whatever happened to the good old lipstick-on-mirror crazy exes eh? Technology is doing some undoubtedly bizzare things....

Otherwise yeah, I agree it is strung between hilarious and a bit sad.

Trog
2008-10-24, 05:52 PM
*wonders if Ego's and Amotis's Facebook marriage will end under similar circumstances.* :smalltongue:

Kroy
2008-10-24, 05:56 PM
...OMG! :smalleek:

IT'S A GAME!

Zarrexaij
2008-10-24, 06:03 PM
If this holds up in court...

I don't know what I'll do. Something very probably incredibly irrational, like going outside naked in the middle of winter and making moose sounds.

Belkarsbadside1
2008-10-24, 06:16 PM
OMG. I can't believe it. I have been laughing for the last 5 minutes after hearing this story.

Moff Chumley
2008-10-24, 06:17 PM
Gives the honorable game Maple Story a bad name. :smallyuk:

Calyx Asgard
2008-10-24, 06:35 PM
This proves once and for all that;

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

FdL
2008-10-24, 07:05 PM
From the news item:

There have been reports of cottage industries in Asia where low-paid workers are employed to spend all day inhabiting the virtual worlds to create avatars that can then be sold online.

I thought this was really interesting. MMO sweatshops?
To think that some people do that same thing and PAY for it themselves. We live in a crazy world.

Krrth
2008-10-24, 07:19 PM
From the news item:

I thought this was really interesting. MMO sweatshops?
To think that some people do that same thing and PAY for it themselves. We live in a crazy world.
Why not? It's a logical extension of Gold Farming.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-10-24, 07:44 PM
Remember when people used to thing D&D players would become suicidal after losing thier favorite characters? Yeah, me neither...

But people certianly freaked out at the IDEA of people killing themselves and/or others over a game. Will there be a BAML (Bothered about Maple Leafe) to replace BADD (Bothered about Dungeons & Dragons)?

:smallmad:

FdL
2008-10-24, 07:48 PM
Remember when people used to thing D&D players would become suicidal after losing thier favorite characters? Yeah, me neither...

Black Leaf? Hmm, I see a pattern with the word "leaf".

Lord Tataraus
2008-10-24, 08:05 PM
Why is everyone surprised about the ruling? The woman hacked into the guys computer, obtained personal information (in this case a password to a game) and then used that information in a malicious manner in an attempt to harm him emotionally. That is perfectly reasonable terms for a huge legal penalty. That's a pretty severe case of illegal hacking with malicious intent.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-10-24, 08:20 PM
Why is everyone surprised about the ruling? The woman hacked into the guys computer, obtained personal information (in this case a password to a game) and then used that information in a malicious manner in an attempt to harm him emotionally. That is perfectly reasonable terms for a huge legal penalty. That's a pretty severe case of illegal hacking with malicious intent.

It's not the ruling, it's the Media Spin... If the news had said she deleted his character after illegally accessing his account (which is what she did), it never would have made it into the news. But "Virtual-Murder" sells papers, so that's what they are running with.

Silence
2008-10-24, 08:44 PM

*thread won.

But on another note. Wow. Wow. That's all I can really say.

BizzaroStormy
2008-10-24, 11:10 PM
*twitch twitch* *headdesk*

Spirit300064
2008-10-25, 12:55 AM
Wow. I played MS and was absolutely crazy about it for a while, and this is way over the top. But, I think that the woman should be charged for hacking and have her account frozen. This is one of the weirdest things I have ever ever ever read....

Icewalker
2008-10-25, 01:49 AM
The game, and what she did, has pretty much nothing to do with the crime here. It says she is being arrested for hacking into his computer and influencing data in any way, not for deleting his hard built character.

thubby
2008-10-25, 02:30 AM
this is worse than that hurricane pun.
seriously, what is wrong with these people?

Red Sock
2008-10-25, 09:05 AM
That titled promised something way more interesting. I'm disappointed.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-10-25, 10:01 AM
Well, that's just silly.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-25, 10:09 AM
That titled promised something way more interesting. I'm disappointed.

so was i... but then the potential for quasi-legal new grounds always interests me

Lord Tataraus
2008-10-25, 11:05 AM
It's not the ruling, it's the Media Spin... If the news had said she deleted his character after illegally accessing his account (which is what she did), it never would have made it into the news. But "Virtual-Murder" sells papers, so that's what they are running with.

Oh, yeah I agree the media spin is hilarious, but there were a number of people questioning the ruling and think that it is ridiculous as even though that it was a serious crime.

Jae
2008-10-25, 01:08 PM
hahahahahahaha
thats hilarious and horridly sad.

Sayn
2008-10-25, 04:29 PM
Hilarious. Is there any other word that can describe this thing better than that one?

This sort of reminds me of that Japanese guy who sued his ex-girlfriend for deleting all of his stuff that he had collected over the years in Lineage II. Apparently she got a bit upset when he dumped her. :smallwink:

FdL
2008-10-25, 08:13 PM
Hilarious. Is there any other word that can describe this thing better than that one?

This sort of reminds me of that Japanese guy who sued his ex-girlfriend for deleting all of his stuff that he had collected over the years in Lineage II. Apparently she got a bit upset when he dumped her. :smallwink:

Some girls can be quite vengeful, huh? I say take it like an adult person and move on, man. Otherwise it's ****loads of bad karma.

Castel
2008-10-26, 04:52 AM
And that, people, is why you play private servers. Nobody'll get to hear whatever crazyness you do in there.

Not to mention the fact that if someone deletes your high level character, you can get it back in a day or two :smallsigh:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-26, 05:07 AM
Black Leaf? Hmm, I see a pattern with the word "leaf".
Beware, we're onto you Em. We know that you and Krimm are behind hosting all these games.....Sucking away people's life's.....Destroying the world economy....Just come out Em and you'll get a reduced penalty.

:smalltongue:

Pwenet
2008-10-26, 08:10 AM
Some people........

*Goes looking for a bottle of emergency bourbon.*

banjo1985
2008-10-26, 10:39 AM
*snggers uncontrollably*

Okay...example of when people take games way too seriously? It would be pitiful if it wasn't quite so funny.

Gem Flower
2008-10-26, 11:11 AM
*falls off chair, laughing*

Oh my God that is hilarious.

*chokes on laughter*

Inhuman Bot
2008-10-26, 05:51 PM

Indeed it is.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness

http://www.hfstival.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10148/normal_Internet-SeriousBusginess.jp

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-26, 07:37 PM
Misleading title is misleading.

However, amusing article is amusing.

Zarrexaij
2008-10-26, 07:51 PM
PS it doesn't take hacking to get someone's password.

Especially if you're virtual spouses and what not. :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-26, 08:05 PM
True, but it's still illegal data access to use someone else's account and password. It just means that someone else was dumb; it's the equivalent of leaving your keys lying around and then having someone steal your car.

RandomNPC
2008-10-26, 08:39 PM
the radio made it sound like her character went and killed his character.... i figured nowadays PVP was widely accepted and blew it off as a bad breakup.

if his info was hacked into and gained in a sneaky manner to erase the character, its the computer equivilant of picking the lock on my front door and stealing my cat.

think about it.
monthly game fee for most games, i have to buy food and litter for the cats
games get frustrating, well, lets face it cats get frustrating.
and so on...

so this lady could be charged with whatever a cat thief would get charged with. i think.

Faceist
2008-10-27, 07:18 AM

Quickly, we must restore the balance!

LOL COX

Collin152
2008-10-27, 09:26 PM
We talked about this in my Japanese class today.
How curious.