PDA

View Full Version : Jetstone

DevilDan
2008-10-27, 07:36 PM
I noticed a while ago that the Jetstone tribe is a combination of the Jetsons and the Flintstones: hence, it's capital is Spacerock (a la Bedrock), its king is Slately (combination of Fred Flintstone's boss Mr. Slate and George Jetson's boss Spacely).

We saw a Wilma Flintstone analog here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0007.html

But it only dawned on me now that Ansom's hair is pretty close to Barney Rubble's... though Ansom's eyes are blue as opposed to the hellish black pits that demonstrate Barney's crushed soul.

(Wanna bet Slately looks like Fred Flintstone?)

That is all.

Revanmal
2008-10-27, 07:50 PM
I thought Barney's eyes were flesh colored...

DevilDan
2008-10-27, 07:54 PM
I thought Barney's eyes were flesh colored...

Would that be any less creepy?

Angband
2008-10-28, 12:25 AM
I noticed a while ago that the Jetstone tribe is a combination of the Jetsons and the Flintstones: hence, it's capital is Spacerock (a la Bedrock), its king is Slately (combination of Fred Flintstone's boss Mr. Slate and George Jetson's boss Spacely).

We saw a Wilma Flintstone analog here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0007.html

But it only dawned on me now that Ansom's hair is pretty close to Barney Rubble's... though Ansom's eyes are blue as opposed to the hellish black pits that demonstrate Barney's crushed soul.

(Wanna bet Slately looks like Fred Flintstone?)

That is all.

Nice catch.

How does Ansom fit into Jetsons/Flintstone, however? Is it just supposed to sound like "handsome"?

PresidentEnder
2008-10-28, 12:31 AM
Nicely caught. As for Ansom, I don't think he has to have a direct analogue: Vinnie isn't any one recognizable character, much less John Travolta himself.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-10-28, 12:33 AM
Nicely caught. As for Ansom, I don't think he has to have a direct analogue: Vinnie isn't any one recognizable character, much less John Travolta himself.

Vinnie is one of the Gruesomes/Transylvitos next door to the Flintstones/Jetstones?

ChowGuy
2008-10-28, 12:49 AM
I thought Vinny was more Henry Winkler? Hmmm, then Ansom would be his friend.... OMG! It's Pottsie!

DevilDan
2008-10-28, 12:51 AM
Nice catch.

How does Ansom fit into Jetsons/Flintstone, however? Is it just supposed to sound like "handsome"?

I always assumed that. Come on, how much more perfect can you get that "Prince Handsome?"

Thydron
2008-10-29, 10:47 PM
Also, Croatan, which is Wanda's tribe, (and probably Jillians / Faqs if we've got Wandas origins right) is the name of a Native American tribe- with parallels between Banhammer not wanting to get into conflict with anyone & the Native Americans not understanding colonists aggressiveness.
Plus we've already had at least one Stanley = Scottish post, so maybe the tribe names are more important than they first seem (basically, plaid = tartan)

tribble
2008-10-31, 08:55 AM
when did it say the capital of Jetstone is Spacerock? :Wallbanger:

teratorn
2008-10-31, 10:04 AM
when did it say the capital of Jetstone is Spacerock? :Wallbanger:

In the cast page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erfcast.html).

DevilDan
2008-10-31, 06:12 PM
I thought Vinny was more Henry Winkler? Hmmm, then Ansom would be his friend.... OMG! It's Pottsie!

There's no doubt in my mind: the finger-snapping and the multiple aayyys, along with his ways with the ladies (and his hair too?) clearly suggest that Vinny was built on top of a Fonzie template. What was then added was a bit of Vinny from Welcome Back, Kotter, of course.

Transylvito is, on the other hand, a mishmash of Italian-American characters from all sorts of media: the Godfather movies, Super Mario Brothers, West Side Story, Saturday Night Fever,

Jetstone, however, is part of an entirely different TV mythos. It's Ansom's own provenance that most puzzles me. He's, of course, the cliché handsome prince--except for the blond hair, I suppose. But from where else did the writer get inspiration?

dr pepper
2008-10-31, 07:08 PM
Duddly Do-right
Johnny Bravo
The blond from Scooby Doo

tribble
2008-10-31, 07:35 PM
Duddly Do-right
Johnny Bravo
The blond from Scooby Doo

that last one would be Fred.

Hey, look! it's the three characters from Scooby-Doo that weren't the stoner or the dog! you know, the ones nobody cared about.

Godskook
2008-11-01, 01:14 PM
Ansom is also blatantly built off of evil kenival(sp?). The fact that he 'rides' his magic carpet as if it is a motorcycle and has the full gear was painfully obvious to me, at least. And the blonde from Flinstones was Barney, whom Ansom does look like, in the face.(The build is different though).

DevilDan
2008-11-01, 01:24 PM
(I assumed the "log" was a play on words on "hog" as motorcycle, given the Evel Knievel look that Ansom sometimes sports)
From the "Thing's you didn't notice the first time" thread.

Yup, there is room for variation outside of the established culture in each kingdom. Wanda has been seen wearing a variety of costumes, including a kimono that suggests that she has not left everything of Faq behind her.