PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Question about inherited templates

ErrantX
2008-10-31, 06:27 AM
So, here's the situation:

A natural lycanthrope (human female wereleopard) and a gold dragon using his alternate form ability as a male human decide to have a kid. Templates start flying on this poor human offspring.

My question is this: Which template gets applied first?

Half-Dragon is an inherited template which can be applied to any living, corporeal creature and it changes the creature's type to Dragon. Natural Lycanthrope is an inherited template which can only be applied to living, coporeal humanoids or giants. So if these two unlikely folks were to get together, what would happen? Would she give birth to a half-dragon? A wereleopard? Both? Or just the family pet?

Talk and discuss!
-X

kamikasei
2008-10-31, 06:31 AM
Inherited templates are not genetic traits; there's no system around how a pairing will turn out. You can apply them in any order that suits you as a DM. In this case, nothing prevents you from having a half-dragon wereleopard human (in that order: (human + wereleopard) + half-dragon)). You could also just have a half-dragon, a wereleopard, a dragonblooded shifter, or whatever you feel like.

Quietus
2008-10-31, 06:31 AM
I believe there was a chart in one of the books somewhere that detailed which gets applied first, but I'd say.. apply them simultaneously. Sometimes this can get a little wacky, I'm sure, but in this case you'd end up with a lycanthropic half-dragon.

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-31, 06:47 AM
In Savage Species is described the order you apply templates.

Anyway, this time I don't see problems about applying first half-dragon or lycantrope.. mechanically speaking. I'd rule for a Half-Dragon Lycanthrope.

Alternatively, if you don't play Eberron, use a Eberron's shifter (=lycanthrope blood) and then apply Half-Dragon.

I you think is too thoug, maybe their blood didn't mix well so instead of Half-dragon we have Draconic (from draconomicon).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-31, 07:59 PM
That's nothing. Dragon shapeshifts into a Fiendish Half-Orc and mates with a Half-Elf Werewolf after casting Bless the Seed. The kid would be a Fiendish Half-Celestial Half-Dragon Werewolf (half-elf+half-orc). You could toss Necropolitan, Half-golem, and half-illithid on there as well, IIRC.

koeldflare
2008-10-31, 08:14 PM
Quick question to you guys, since we're on the topic of templates.

In one of my current games I'm playing my DM is hinting that she may be throwing in some monsters that apply templates to you on failed saves. (She is hinting moreso towards lycanthropes and potentially some undead like vampires).

My question is this, do the templates get the same LA as they normally would, since the player (for the most part) is unwilling to accept such a template. I'm asking because we plan on extending this game into the later stages (maybe 17 ish) and I'm wondering if templates tend to bog players down moreso around those levels.

Emperor Tippy
2008-10-31, 08:15 PM
That's nothing. Dragon shapeshifts into a Fiendish Half-Orc and mates with a Half-Elf Werewolf after casting Bless the Seed. The kid would be a Fiendish Half-Celestial Half-Dragon Werewolf (half-elf+half-orc). You could toss Necropolitan, Half-golem, and half-illithid on there as well, IIRC.

In which case I would say a Doppleganger pops out.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-31, 08:16 PM
Quick question to you guys, since we're on the topic of templates.

In one of my current games I'm playing my DM is hinting that she may be throwing in some monsters that apply templates to you on failed saves. (She is hinting moreso towards lycanthropes and potentially some undead like vampires).

My question is this, do the templates get the same LA as they normally would, since the player (for the most part) is unwilling to accept such a template. I'm asking because we plan on extending this game into the later stages (maybe 17 ish) and I'm wondering if templates tend to bog players down moreso around those levels.Yes, the template and the LA would be applied. Look at it as incentive to not fail a save.

koeldflare
2008-10-31, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the quick response. My DM is actually rolling our saves behind her screen so we won't know if we fail or pass, but I have a feeling my wizard won't be sticking around much if he becomes some sort of werebear.

Pie Guy
2008-10-31, 09:41 PM
But werebears are lawful good, so- oh right, spellcaster.

This game punishes templates on spellcasters too much.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-03, 10:37 AM
Inherited templates are not genetic traits; there's no system around how a pairing will turn out.

...unless you include BoEF.

Zeta Kai
2008-11-03, 10:51 AM
...unless you include BoEF.

...which most people do not, because they either:

don't own the book, or an illegal scanned PDF of it.
don't use it in their game.
don't wanna face the high squick factor.