PDA

View Full Version : Red Vs. Blue (Machinima)

RationalGoblin
2008-10-31, 01:49 PM
So, is anyone else a fan of the Red vs. Blue Machinima series? And, if so, what do you think about the Reconstruction part of the series, specifically the last few episodes?

TheEmerged
2008-10-31, 02:00 PM
I watched it back in the early days, but lost interest in the second/third seasons. Some of those early episodes were *hilarious* ("Bloody Murder! Bloody Murder!" is still an injoke amongst our gaming group).

Oregano
2008-10-31, 02:03 PM
I've only watched up to 16 or 17 of Reconstruction and it's hilarious. Fantastic, although I hate the little voice overs at the beginnings of the episodes.

RationalGoblin
2008-10-31, 02:12 PM
I've only watched up to 16 or 17 of Reconstruction and it's hilarious. Fantastic, although I hate the little voice overs at the beginnings of the episodes.

Oh. Heh. Those voice-overs are actually very important, unlike most voice overs. You'll see in the final episode (19) of Reconstruction, which was just finished and put up today.

Oregano
2008-10-31, 02:13 PM
Oh. Heh. Those voice-overs are actually very important, unlike most voice overs. You'll see in the final episode (19) of Reconstruction, which was just finished and put up today.

The final!?:smalleek: or do you mean most recent?

I hate the actual voices though.

RationalGoblin
2008-10-31, 02:20 PM
The final!?:smalleek: or do you mean most recent?

I hate the actual voices though.

The final, completion, end. Whatever you want to call it, it is the final episode of Red vs. Blue: Reconstruction.

Oregano
2008-10-31, 02:25 PM
Wow, that seems rushed, I thought they were only just getting into it. I'll have to watch them then.

chiasaur11
2008-10-31, 02:27 PM
I watch it and like it.

So, Anyone else hoping Church turns up, well, alive is the wrong term for it, in whatever followup material is forthcoming?

The_JJ
2008-10-31, 04:22 PM
Church = awesome. True fact. If he doesn't come back I will be very very angry.
I'm just wondering who Chairman Church was refering to when he was talking about losing someone.

As far as the whole series goes, I really liked the 1st season or so. I think it got really confusing for a while until they figured out what was going on. Then they brought in the miniseiries (far less comical, but very good) slammed together the season five finale, and then trotted out reconstruction, which I though was really good.

I think Rooster Teeth went throught the same transformation as the Discworld series. Funny, but disjointed parodies, then they ran out of jokes, and then they found the joys of an acutal plot. Yay!

RationalGoblin
2008-10-31, 05:13 PM
I'm just wondering who Chairman Church was refering to when he was talking about losing someone.

As far as the whole series goes, I really liked the 1st season or so. I think it got really confusing for a while until they figured out what was going on. Then they brought in the miniseiries (far less comical, but very good) slammed together the season five finale, and then trotted out reconstruction, which I though was really good.

I think Rooster Teeth went throught the same transformation as the Discworld series. Funny, but disjointed parodies, then they ran out of jokes, and then they found the joys of an acutal plot. Yay!

MAJOR SPOILERS

Yeah, Church is awesome. I especially liked Director Church's speech to the Chairman: "Dear Chairman,

I am disappointed by your decision to press charges, but I am surprised. My only hope is that the courts will see the matter differently then you have. You see, I never had the chance to serve in battle, nor did fate provide me the opportunity to sacrifice myself for humanity, as it did so many others in the great war.

Someone extremely dear to me was lost very early in my life. My mind has always plagued me with the question: If the choice was placed in my hands, could I have saved her? The memory of her has haunted me my entire life, and moreso in these last few years than I could have ever have imagined, but given the events of these past few weeks, I feel confident, that, had I been given the chance, I would have made those sacrifices myself.

Had I only the chance..."

*Stops talking, Red Team talks*
*Director talks again*

"I know that you disagreed with my methods, and that others will as well. This is beyond my control. However, I cannot imagine that any court would be able to convict me, no matter how low their opinion of my actions might be. You must understand one basic fact for all this to make sense, my dear Chairman: These AI, they all come from somewhere, they are all based on a person. Our Alpha was no exception. And while the law has many penalties for the atrocities that we inflict on others, there are no punishments for the terrors that we inflict on ourselves.

So you send your men. They won't find themselves a fight. They will only find an old man. An old man tired, but satisfied he did his duty. An old man weary from a mind more filled with memory then it is with hope.

Sincerely yours, the Former Director of Project Freelancer, Dr. Lenard Church."

That is probably one of the most moving speeches I've ever heard. Good job, Dr. Church, good job. I hope he won't be convicted.

chiasaur11
2008-10-31, 05:15 PM
You know, if he does turn out to be a ghost...

That'd be awesome.

I mean, he interacted with Sarge when Sarge was briefly dead.

Or maybe he's the ghost of an AI! That'd be... something.

RationalGoblin
2008-10-31, 05:25 PM

That'd be awesome.

Or the AI of a ghost perhaps?

EvilElitest
2008-10-31, 05:25 PM
the first season was the best but it is generally a funny series all the way through
from
EE

Mr._Blinky
2008-10-31, 05:36 PM
My guess? The original Tex. Which would be confusing and need to be explained to work, but makes sense in other ways. It'd explain why she was always given preference: she was the memory of someone the director lost. Which would also explain her relationship with Church.

Of course, this idea is filled with just as many plot holes as any others. For one, it would mean their were two AIs in Tex, her and Omega. Also, one would wonder how she never realized she wasn't human before, though that could be said of Church too.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-10-31, 06:02 PM
"When the EMP goes off - "

"I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I am a motherf**kin' ghost."

Crowning Moment of Awesome right there.

BRC
2008-10-31, 06:46 PM
So the Director's story is "Yes, we tortured an AI and violated every protocol ever, but the AI was based off me, and I felt really bad about it, so I regret nothing."
So just how common are AI's here, because Shelia, andy and Lopez were all AI's. And wasn't sarge a ghost at one point, and what about the part where they traveled through time.

puppyavenger
2008-10-31, 06:55 PM
anyone know a way to watch the earlier seasons online?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-10-31, 06:55 PM
anyone know a way to watch the earlier seasons online?

Become a sponsor and give them $10 bucks every 6 months.

chiasaur11
2008-10-31, 07:16 PM
So the Director's story is "Yes, we tortured an AI and violated every protocol ever, but the AI was based off me, and I felt really bad about it, so I regret nothing."
So just how common are AI's here, because Shelia, andy and Lopez were all AI's. And wasn't sarge a ghost at one point, and what about the part where they traveled through time.

No, I'm pretty sure he didn't feel bad about it.

His reasoning seemed to be "I hurt no-one who wasn't myself in trying to save mankind from the Covenant. You wouldn't understand. You weren't there."

Sneak
2008-10-31, 07:48 PM
I watched the old series and loved it. Is Reconstruction as good as the original? If so, I might give it a watch.

And yeah, Church is awesome.

EDIT: Which one of the endings was considered canon? I don't remember...I'm not even sure I watched all of them.

WNxHasoroth
2008-10-31, 08:18 PM
I loved Reconstruction. I really liked the voice overs. I'll admit I was a tad wary of the mini series at first because the trailer for Reconstruction made me think it was an action drama (which, in hindsight, would have been pretty cool) but it turned out to be an action / comedy and all was right with the world :smallbiggrin:

puppyavenger
2008-10-31, 09:58 PM
anyone seen the other shows on their site?

chiasaur11
2008-10-31, 10:15 PM
I watched the old series and loved it. Is Reconstruction as good as the original? If so, I might give it a watch.

And yeah, Church is awesome.

EDIT: Which one of the endings was considered canon? I don't remember...I'm not even sure I watched all of them.

Recon is good, but somewhat more serious, plotwise.

And the "real" ending is the one where only Tex dies.

Baxter190
2008-11-01, 10:13 AM

That'd be awesome.

Well, didn't he just posses him? Maybe a residual link? Also, what I don't understand was how he never figured out he was an AI. I mean, wouldn't he have taken his armor off? He would either see a robot body, ro something that would probably indicate he was a cyborg. Also, what happened to them being like, 500 years in the future?

SilentNight
2008-11-01, 10:44 AM
Well, didn't he just posses him? Maybe a residual link? Also, what I don't understand was how he never figured out he was an AI. I mean, wouldn't he have taken his armor off? He would either see a robot body, ro something that would probably indicate he was a cyborg. Also, what happened to them being like, 500 years in the future?

My guess is that's just a plot hole seeing as they did the series for several years before Reconstruction, right? Church was probably meant to be a ghost originally. It was creative though. I like both the original and the miniseries personally. I'd like to see more too.

Irenaeus
2008-11-01, 11:38 AM
I watched it back in the early days, but lost interest in the second/third seasons. Some of those early episodes were *hilarious* ("Bloody Murder! Bloody Murder!" is still an injoke amongst our gaming group).This pretty much covers my relation to it as well.

Jibar
2008-11-01, 11:57 AM
Also, what happened to them being like, 500 years in the future?

I always though that was just due to them being... ya know, morons.
Rather than think that they'd simply survived the blast and that the weather machine destructing was what changed the landscape, they automatically assumed time travel.

Also: Yes, I love Red vs Blue. I found the Blood Gulch Chronicles hilarious, and I think Reconstruction is one of the best things on the interwob right now.
Oh, and:
"Can you drive?"
"Yes. Only stick. No automatic."

Baxter190
2008-11-01, 11:58 AM
I always though that was just due to them being... ya know, morons.
Rather than think that they'd simply survived the blast and that the weather machine destructing was what changed the landscape, they automatically assumed time travel.

Also: Yes, I love Red vs Blue. I found the Blood Gulch Chronicles hilarious, and I think Reconstruction is one of the best things on the interwob right now.
Oh, and:
"Can you drive?"
"Yes. Only stick. No automatic."

Yeah, but sheila said she was waiting for like, 500 years. that why her memory was malfuctioning.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-11-01, 12:56 PM
Isn't possible that she thought it had been 500 years because her memory was malfunctioning, as opposed to the other way around?

SilentNight
2008-11-01, 02:02 PM
Recon is good, but somewhat more serious, plotwise.

And the "real" ending is the one where only Tex dies.

Doesn't she supposedly die in all but one?

Darth Mario
2008-11-01, 05:02 PM
Doesn't she supposedly die in all but one?

She does. What he's saying is that the real one is the one where she's the only person to die (not counting Shelia, Andy and Jr.).

hanzo66
2008-11-01, 06:57 PM
"When the EMP goes off - "

"I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I am a motherf**kin' ghost."

Crowning Moment of Awesome right there.

It's Emp. Say it with me...

Emp...

Lord Iames Osari
2008-11-01, 07:34 PM
But that's Wash's line, and he says EMP.

SilentNight
2008-11-02, 12:26 PM
She does. What he's saying is that the real one is the one where she's the only person to die (not counting Shelia, Andy and Jr.).

That's the one where it just goes back to the scene from episode one right?

chiasaur11
2008-11-02, 11:32 PM
That's the one where it just goes back to the scene from episode one right?

Only with the roles reversed, yeah.

Trizap
2008-11-02, 11:38 PM
But that's Wash's line, and he says EMP.

remember just before the Pulse?

Computer: FAILSAFE INITIATED, activating Emp

Wash: WHAT!? oh you gotta be kidding me!

chiasaur11
2008-11-02, 11:57 PM

If Church was right on that, who's to say he isn't right on other, perhaps more important things?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-11-03, 12:04 AM

Yes, I do, but the part I was quoting comes before that, and, in any case, Washington always says EMP. So I don't give a damn whether he's saying it right or not, I'm quoting him, and when you quote someone you quote what they ACTUALLY SAID. :smallannoyed: