PDA

View Full Version : The Aeis'Liala [Race] [D&D 3.5] [PEACH]

Salvonus
2008-10-31, 10:07 PM
The following is a bit of a re-imagining of the Elvish race for the purposes of my own campaign world. I know it's lacking the important bits right now (Personality, Physical Description, History, Etc.), but I wanted to get an evaluation of the relative balance of the mechanical side of things. I know it's a bit silly to rename the race, but I wanted to get away from the image of the D&D Elf; these are warriors whose ancestors came to the mortal planes from the Realm of Dreams centuries ago. They are completely incapable of using magic due to their unique physiology and their descent from the Dream-realm, so they're a rather large departure from D&D Elves... I think of themselves as Tolkien-esque in a way; physically, they are quite similar (perhaps a bit taller), and they have that kind of mysterious grace and agelessness associated with Tolkienian Elves. Still, they're a bit independent of any normal fantasy Elf, and they certainly don't suffer from that painful arrogance associated with them. Also, no stupid Constitution penalty for an effectively Ageless race...

tl;dr - These are heavily modified Elves.

Let me know what you think, please. :smallsmile: I really want to figure out some way to keep the Aeis'Liala as a LA +0 race... Do you think the total immunity to any beneficial magic (and most magic items ) is good enough? Do you think I could allow them to use Meldshaping (i.e. Incarnum) without rendering them overpowered? Do I need to add more penalties? Are the initial attribute boosts over the top? I wonder if I should simply give the attribute boosts over time, just to make it more balanced at Level 1. I'd fear they'd lag behind further along, though, since they're unable to boost stats magically - and I certainly don't want to change that part.

I suppose, technically speaking, it's already very hard for them to be game-breaking, due to the fact they can never cast spells or benefit from them. They may or may not be brokensauce at first level, though... Opinions and ideas for improvement are VERY welcome. :smallsmile: I'll edit in flavour text while I have time, and perhaps I'll work on a campaign world project in this forum like some people have.

tl;dr - Comments please.

The Aeis'Liala
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/111118.jpg

Personality
The Aeis'Liala are something of a study in contradiction. Each Aeis'Liala, without exception, has their own Code and concept of Honour; yet, within their own society, there are very few formal constructs of hierarchy or allegiance, instead functioning mostly as independent wanderers. The exact definition of Honour varies greatly amongst the Aeis'Liala, but common themes include helping those in need and never breaking a promise given in good faith. As such, the Aeis'Liala as a whole tend to be a kinder race than most other humanoids, tending towards a good-natured understanding of the world. There are, of course, many notable exceptions; Aeis'Liala Honour only leans towards a cooperative nature, and a sizable number of Aeis'Liala do not give any credence to conciliation and helpfulness within the context of their personal Codes.

Aeis'Liala believe their theoretically limitless lifespans afford them a unique perspective on the world, but this does not translate to outright arrogance in most cases. Some Aeis'Liala certainly do maintain a view of racial superiority or a patronizing and paternalistic view of other races, but these tend to be the notable exception rather than the rule. The Aeis'Liala view themselves as teachers of the other races, but also as students of mortal accomplishments. As such, most Aeis'Liala maintain a healthy degree of humility, even in a situation where they clearly have the upper hand.

The Aeis'Liala take an unusual view upon the issue of self-confidence. The model Aeis'Liala is expected to be self-assured and secure in their abilities; however, overconfidence and boastfulness are considered anathema. This focus upon avoiding overconfidence has led to something of a taboo on discussing one's own accomplishments; Aeis'Liala consider it in poor taste to even discuss particularly heroic actions, preferring instead to let a companion (if any) to relate the story. This cultural value of humility frequently comes into conflict with the expectation of self-assurance - many Aeis'Liala descend into a spiral of self-deprecation within their own thoughts, although they rarely express this publicly.

Aeis'Liala exhibit a bizarre combination of unwavering focus and aimless wandering of thought. Their highly-tuned senses had led the Aeis'Liala towards an astonishing aptitude for focus and concentration, but their nature as dreamers can often lead to multiple threads of thought wandering off into the mental horizon. In essence, when an Aeis'Liala is mentally committed to a task, they retain single-minded dedication of psychological energy; but, at any time they are not fully occupied with a pressing issue, their minds begin to trek down a myriad of thought paths, at times more disjointed than a typical dream sequence.

Depending on the individual, Aeis'Liala can vary from openly friendly to completely reserved in social interactions, a testament to the mixed feelings of the Aeis'Liala towards forming new friendships and their desire to remain mysterious. Regardless of an Aeis'Liala's approach to interpersonal discourse, the majority of mortals find them strangely compelling and personable - an Aeis'Liala has a natural aptitude and charismatic influence that can rarely be completely suppressed.

Aeis'Liala as Characters
Attributes: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma. Aeis'Liala are dexterous and hauntingly beautiful, possessing an inexplicable charm and grace.
Type: Outsider. Aeis'Liala can never gain the Undead type via any means.
Size: Medium; as Medium creatures, Aeis'Liala have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Land Speed: 30 feet.
Darkvision: 60 feet.
Weapon Proficiences: Aeis'Liala do not automatically gain the proficiency with all simple and martial weapons that is associated with the Outsider type. They do, however, gain automatic proficiency with a single martial weapon, oftentimes the Longbow or Longsword.
Spell/Power Resistance: Equal to 15 + Class Levels. Aeis'Liala naturally have extremely high resistance to any sort of magical or psionic effect. This applies to all spells/powers/psi-like abilities/spell-like abilities/invocations/utterances/supernatural abilities, regardless of whether or not they normally allow Spell/Power Resistance. The only way to ignore this Spell/Power Resistance without a successful caster/manifester level check is via Truespeech; no other method will ever be successful. [i]An Aeis'Liala may never voluntarily lower their spell resistance - it is always in effect.
Immunity to Beneficial Magic: Aeis'Liala cannot directly benefit from any sort of beneficial spells, powers, or magical/psionic effects, including any healing effects. They are still capable of using magical/psionic swords, shields, and armor, as well as activate any magical/psionic item that does not confer a direct bonus or beneficial effect upon them. They are, furthermore, unable to gain any benefit from the Vow of Poverty feat, as their souls naturally reject such blessings.
Severed from Sorcery: Aeis'Liala are completely incapable of any form of spellcasting/manifesting/invoking and cannot take any levels in a spellcasting/manifesting/invoking class. They are capable of learning Truespeech or using supernatural abilities acquired through class levels (such as Martial Maneuevers) or templates, but any spell- or psi-like abilities they possess are completely unusable. Aeis'Liala Rangers and Paladins gain any feat they meet the prerequisite for at levels 4, 8, 11, and 14, but do not gain any spellcasting ability.
Obscured Truename: Any Truespeak check made to affect an Aeis'Liala is made at a +5 DC; an Aeis'Liala Truename is overly complex and difficult to pronounce.
Dreambound: The soul of a slain Aeis'Liala ascends to the Court of Dreams forever. They cannot be resurrected by any sort of magic/psionics, and nothing short of divine intervention can bring an Aeis'Liala back to the mortal realm. An Aeis'Liala's body becomes incorpreal at the moment of death, slowly fading away over a period of 5 minutes.
Dreamwalkers: The souls of Aeis'Liala are eternally drawn to the Realm of Dreams, and all Aeis'Liala dream every time they sleep. Every time an Aeis'Liala dreams, they have a 50% chance of receiving a vision; often, but not always, related to something troubling them. These visions can vary from highly detailed to extremely vague, and will inexplicably always run to completion before the Aeis'Liala wakes, even if they are roused prematurely. The details of a vision are left up to the GM, but whatever details are included are always correct, no matter how obscure the information. The Aeis'Liala is capable of immediately distinguishing a prophetic dream from a regular one; there is absolutely no chance of confusion in this matter.
Concentrated Senses: An Aeis'Liala's senses are far finer tuned than those of an average human, but this does not equate simply to a greater awareness of their surroundings. Aeis'Liala do not recieve any racial bonus to Spot, Listen, or Search checks; however, they may, as a move action, enter into a deep sensory trance. When an Aeis'Liala enters this state, they make a single Concentration check which can function as a Spot, Listen, or Search check at the Aeis'Liala's choice. This state ends once the Concentration check is made, and the Aeis'Liala must utilize another move action if they wish to reenter this trance state.
Unwavering Focus: Concentration is always a class skill for an Aeis'Liala.
Efficient Metabolism: Aeis'Liala require food, water, and sleep, but at a reduced rate when compared to humanoid races. Aeis'Liala consume 1/4th the normal amount of food provided and require only 4 hours of sleep per day.
Rapid Healing: The unique Aeis'Liala physiology allows them to recover much faster with rest. 4 hours of sleep allows them to recover up to half of their usual hit point total, and 8 hours of sleep fully rejuvenates an Aeis'Liala to full hit points. Simple rest will not heal an Aeis'Liala at all; they must dream in order to regenerate their health, as the special state a dreaming Aeis'Liala attains is what replenishes their strength.
Favoured Class: All Martial Adept Classes. The Aeis'Liala are masters of the Sublime Ways.
Level Adjustment: +0

Aging Table:
{table=head]Race|Adulthood|Simple|Moderate|Complex
Aeis'Liala|20 years|+1d4|+1d6|+2d6[/table]

Table: Aging Effects
{table=head]Race|Middle Age|Old|Venerable|Maximum
Aeis'Liala|-|-|-|None[/table]

Table: Random Height and Weight
{table=head]Race|Base Height|Height Modifier|Base Weight|Weight Modifier
Aeis'Liala, Female|5'7"|+2d8"|115 lb.|x(2d4 lb.)
Aeis'Liala, Male|5'7"|+2d8"|115 lb.|x(2d4 lb.)[/table]

Table: Nicknames
{table=head]Nickname|Nature|Notes
Liala|Informal|A simple shortening of the Aeis'Liala name, this nickname is frequently used in conversation and occasionally in academic literature. In fact, many Aeis'Liala themselves will use this title in informal contexts.
Bladedreamers|Favourable|Used mostly amongst the common folk; the name "Aeis'Liala" is actually completely unknown in some parts.
Bladeb****s|Derogatory|Used mostly by enemies of the Liala, or those who have had a run-in with them at some point in the past. This term is also commonly used as an insult to a Liala opponent.
Living Nightmares|Semi-Derogatory|Often used by those who fear the Liala, some Aeis'Liala have adopted this title as their own, finding great amusement in it.
Denizens of Dreams|Archaic|Rarely used in the modern day, this nickname heralds back to extremely ancient literature surrounding the appearance of the Aeis'Liala on the Material Planes. Still sometimes used by those of a Sorcerous bent.
Xylia's Lost|Religious|Some priests of the Goddess of Dreams, Xylia, refer to the Aeis'Liala in this manner. They, of course, do not feel that they have been "lost"; Aeis'Liala lore states that Xylia sent them to the mortal realms to satiate their wanderlust. This subject actually causes quite a bit of scriptural debate within the Temple of Xylia.
[/table]

Changelog:
31st October, 2008 - Initial post, including the Aeis'Liala as Characters section.
1st November, 2008 - Added Personality section.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-31, 10:29 PM
So, they have FH & SR, but they cannot be healed or buffed by magic/psionics & they cannot take any spellcasting class levels. Hmm... I'd have to see this played in-game before I could say for sure if that's balanced. My gut tells me that this isn't truly LA+0, but I'm intrigued by the concept enough to give it the benefit of the doubt. Very interesting race; if nothing else, it shows some great lateral thinking.

BTW, exactly how do you pronounce their name? Is there a shorter nickname for them?

Salvonus
2008-10-31, 11:01 PM
So, they have FH & SR, but they cannot be healed or buffed by magic/psionics & they cannot take any spellcasting class levels. Hmm... I'd have to see this played in-game before I could say for sure if that's balanced. My gut tells me that this isn't truly LA+0, but I'm intrigued by the concept enough to give it the benefit of the doubt. Very interesting race; if nothing else, it shows some great lateral thinking.

They don't quite have Fast Healing; only while sleeping, really. I believe, as written, there are only two ways that an Aeis'Liala can regenerate health during a normal day of adventuring - Word of Nurturing and the Crusader's various health regeneration manoeuvres.

Actually, that reminds me... I forgot that SR can be voluntarily lowered. I just added a clause (in italics) that prevents that. So, an Utterance made to affect an Aeis'Liala is effectively at a +10 DC, unless the Truenamer wants to risk overcoming SR. That makes it... well, rather difficult to buff an Aeis'Liala without skill check boosting cheese.

Do you think it would be better if they started off with one (or no) stat boosts, and slowly gained them over time? I worry about them being just a wee bit frontloaded with the stats - they might be overpowered at Level 1, but by Level 10, their stats will lag far behind.

BTW, exactly how do you pronounce their name? Is there a shorter nickname for them?

I'm not sure how to represent this phonetically. That first bit is like saying A in the plural - "A's". The "Liala" is just "Lee" and, well, I guess the pronunciation of "Allah" is actually correct. So, "A's Lee Allah"... Wow, that sounds vaguely religious. Absolutely not intentional; I only realised that bit about "Allah" now! :smalltongue:

"Liala" is a more formal nickname for them, but there's a few other slang terms for the Aeis'Liala. They wander around quite a bit.

{table=head]Nickname|Nature|Notes
Bladedreamers|Favourable|Used mostly amongst the common folk; the name "Aeis'Liala" is actually completely unknown in some parts.
Bladeb****s|Derogatory|Used mostly by enemies of the Liala, or those who have had a run-in with them at some point in the past. This term is also commonly used as an insult to a Liala opponent.
Living Nightmares|Semi-Derogatory|Often used by those who fear the Liala, some Aeis'Liala have adopted this title as their own, finding great amusement in it.
Denizens of Dreams|Archaic|Rarely used in the modern day, this nickname heralds back to extremely ancient literature surrounding the appearance of the Aeis'Liala on the Material Planes. Still sometimes used by those of a Sorcerous bent.
Xylia's Lost|Religious|Some priests of the Goddess of Dreams, Xylia, refer to the Aeis'Liala in this manner. They, of course, do not feel that they have been "lost"; Aeis'Liala lore states that Xylia sent them to the mortal realms to satiate their wanderlust. This subject actually causes quite a bit of scriptural debate within the Temple of Xylia.
[/table]

[edit] Ah, yes, the Incarnum question... The soul aspect potentially works with the Liala fluff-wise, but I wonder if allowing Incarnum throws the already-tenuous balance out of wack. I already banned Vow of Poverty for balance reasons. :smalltongue: Any thoughts?