PDA

View Full Version : Simple DnD character sketch project

Desilva
2008-11-06, 05:42 AM
If there is some better place for this thread, I'll happily delete and repost there.

I'm looking for someone with some artistic talent who'd be interested in drawing up a sketch for me, for practice, for fun, to show off, or for S's and G's. It's not super important or anything; I just wouldn't mind having a visual for my latest DnD character and after spending hours learning once again that a blind-folded chimp can draw better than I can, I thought I'd turn to people with actual talent.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just a simple sketch of a visually simple guy. Something a skilled artist could probably finish in 15 minutes or less.

The guy is bald, with white-gray skin that has a stony appearance (that doesn't need to be featured - ie that's how he looks in my head, but I wouldn't be sad if it's too complicated or difficult to draw into the sketch), and he wears a long black trench coat. He is an enchanter wizard and has a ferret familiar who I'd like to be featured somewhere. He's stern and studious, but polite. I don't see him with much facial expression at all. The world to him is a game of chess, and he sees emotion as weakness. The kind of person you value as an ally, but would never see as a friend.

Whatever your muse tells you to do with this guy is fine. I have no real expectations. Even if it's just a stern, severe looking bald guy in a trench coat, that'd be good enough for me. I won't be using this sketch for any marketing or profitable venture; it's just a private DnD game with friends.

Thanks in advance to anyone bored enough to help out!

Coplantor
2008-11-06, 07:44 AM
can you describe his face a little better?

Desilva
2008-11-06, 09:40 AM
I didn't really have many details in mind for the face, but ask and ye shall receive.

Overall he has a fairly slim build, so I'd imagine that can be seen in his face, in thin cheeks and maybe deep eye areas. I see his eyes as humorless, but cunning. Eyes that are always analyzing and strategizing. He can understanding anything if he only has the time to study it. He's a very cerebral character and takes himself very seriously, so the image should reflect that.

I know that probably doesn't say what you wanted me to say about his face, but I honestly don't care much about the details. Square chin or thin chin, it doesn't matter. All that matters to me is he's bald and stern. He's meant to look human, but vaguely statue-like, so a slight chiseled, stony or granitelike appearance would be appropriate, if that's possible.

Thanks for your consideration. :smallcool:

Coplantor
2008-11-06, 10:01 AM
I'll try to do it over the weekend and post it here by monday. Any details on the clothing?

P.S: It will probably be black and white, I kinda suck at coloring.

Desilva
2008-11-06, 10:17 AM
Black and white is perfect, he's a black and white kind of guy anyway.

The clothing is just a nondescript ankle-length black trench coat and a long black cloak down the back. Something austere, but dignified. I see the trench coat having kind of a neck brace thing, but not covering his face or scalp at all.

Okay, just spent five minutes on google and found this, which looks great:

http://shrinestore.com/store/images/IMG_1768.jpg

As for footwear, you can either just cut off the pic above the feet or put him in some nice black boots.

I'll check back with this thread periodically in case you have any other questions.

Coplantor
2008-11-10, 07:44 PM
OK, I'll see if I can have it for tomorrow. I was wondering if you wanted him to have a weapon or anything else in his hands.

Desilva
2008-11-10, 10:21 PM
One of the character points was that he carries no weapons, but if you want he can be carrying a scroll or something else scholarly. Actually what I tried to draw and failed hard at was that he had a sheet of parchment and a quill in one hand, and his ferret was in the other, curiously sniffing, and he was eyeing the ferret thinking "what now?"

But if your muse tells you something different that's totally fine. I'd rather you draw what makes sense to you, which would end up being a better sketch overall anyway.

Desilva
2008-11-14, 08:07 AM
Seems Coplantor is otherwise engaged, is there anyone else who'd like to try their hand at this?

Coplantor
2008-11-17, 05:15 PM
Sorry for the delay, I had a terrible week. I have it done, I will scan it tomorrow because I dont have a scanner here.

Desilva
2008-11-18, 08:44 AM
More than understandable. I hope this week turns out better. Life is so up-and-down, isn't it?

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 10:37 AM
Well, sorry for the delay again, specially since this drawing isnt even near the best ones I've done, the head is too big for the rest of the body. I'll post here the sketch and if I change something I'll post it again.

Hope you like it.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm122/Coplantor/File0012.jpg

Edwin
2008-11-19, 01:50 PM
I know you did not actually ask for an OotS styled picture, but I felt like making one based on your description after I read your post. Use if for your character, sig, avater, or just trash-it, whatever you want to do with it.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh248/Meh711/StDuWiFe2.png

Edit: Apparently, it does not work. Sorry.
Edit2: I worked it out, but the sizing seems to be off..

Zechikin
2008-11-19, 02:04 PM
Kudos to Coplantor!

Awesome work!

ghost_warlock
2008-11-19, 03:32 PM
Hope you like it.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm122/Coplantor/File0012.jpg

:smalleek:

He looks rather familiar...

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/atwork.jpg

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 04:09 PM
Kudos to Coplantor!

Awesome work!

Hey, thanks! I'm not really proud of it, the head is too big compared to the body and he looks a little too skinny, but it is a great step from my tipical drawings wich are ussually a front motionless view.

And ghost warlock, who is that guy? Is that you?

Desilva
2008-11-19, 06:48 PM
Wow, excellent! What a pleasant surprise.

I hadn't imagined him with facial hair, but seeing it on him now, I can't think of him without it. Very good.

I have only two criticisms, and the second one I didn't even notice until just now. The fiery scroll and the clouds makes the piece somewhat sensational and flashy, which conflicts somewhat with his very subdued, somber, down-to-earth personality. The second issue is that the familiar seems to have gone missing, but that's not a big deal. The ferret is hardly a friend or even a companion - he treats and sees it as a magical bonus to his reflex save, which he otherwise lacks (not that he knows what a reflex save is in character, of course).

As for the rest of it, fantastic. I imagined him skinny, so I was very pleased to see his wiry frame. The trench coat and cloak are fantastic. The eyes are fantastic. Overall, I'm very very pleased.

If you're still interested, in my last gaming session he obtained a pair of magic goggles which I thought was an interesting visual touch. Made him look more scientist-y in my mind. So if you were planning on taking a second pass to fix some things up (which it sounds like), perhaps you could put some dark goggles over his eyes. If not, that's fine too. I really like what you did with the eyes and it makes me sad to lose it so if you don't, still great.

Also, thanks for the OOTS avatar! I think I may need to make a new account just so I can use the avatar under the appropriate name. (Desilva was my drow paladin)

Thanks, Coplantor. I hope you're feeling better this week. :)

Desilva
2008-11-19, 07:18 PM
Actually, if you don't mind me changing the skin color Edwin, I think I will use the avatar you made. It's very solid.

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 07:43 PM
I was planning to add the ferret, and perhaps I can draw his face with the goggles in big size and photoshop it into the backround.

Desilva
2008-11-19, 07:55 PM
Ah, sweet.

You know, the more I look at the sketch the more I think the inclusion of goggles might ruin the effect. I really really like the face. It's cold, unconcerned, cunning. Exactly as I had imagined it, except the goatee, which only makes it better. Maybe it would be best to just leave the goggles out of it. What do you think?

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 08:08 PM
Oh no, Im not going to add goggles to his face, Im going to draw a new face wearing goggles that I will add as a background for the original drawing.

Desilva
2008-11-19, 08:35 PM
Ah, that sounds fantastic!

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 08:40 PM
Yeah, it sounds great, the problem is if I can make it look great. This is all quite experimental to me.

Desilva
2008-11-19, 08:52 PM
I know you have a tough time believing it, but you're doing great. Plenty of talented artists, writers, poets, that I've met, don't believe they're as good as they are, and it seems like you're one of them. And believe me, I'm tough to impress when it comes to artistic ability.

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 09:02 PM
Thanks! Actully I know I have talent, is just that I havent used it as I should, so I know I should be better at this, and since I'm trying to improve my skills, I'm doing things I havent done before, so I dont really know how will my things look like after I finish them.

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-19, 09:11 PM
Coplanter and Edwin, that's some quality stuff.