PDA

View Full Version : The Lantern Corps

Bluelantern
2008-11-06, 09:19 PM
Just curious, I live in Brazil, so I don't get the comics until half-a-year later, but I spoil myself over wikipedia. Is not the same than reading the comics though...
...anyway, how the lantern corps are going in your opinions, as far I know, Indigo and Oranges are the only ones that din't showed up yet (at least a little)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/Pcm979/LANTERNCORPSSYMBOLS.jpg

Also, what corps would you choose? (If you pick green please pick another one as a second choice).

TheEmerged
2008-11-07, 03:48 PM
Hope has only been shown very briefly. Love is being tacked onto an existing concept.

Rage/Red Lanterns fell into a bit of cliche in my opinion. You just *knew* their mandate was somehow going to involve blood. Throwing up blood? I don't think it comes across the way the writer thinks it does. There's also the cliched "female who's there because she was (censored) by the Sinestro Corp" and the cliched "female who's there to avenge her unrequited love". I do like that they hate the Sinestro Corp as much as they hate the Green Lanterns. I also like the Lolcat Red Lantern :P

It's been heavily implied that the Orange Lantern(s) will be connected to the old Omega Men series in some way, and the Controllers are confirmed as interested (most recently in the Red Lantern special). I've heard at least one report that there's only going to be 1 Orange Lantern (named Agent Orange), apparently there's only 1 character that's obvious an Orange Lantern in the two-page spread picture. Take that last part for whatever it's worth.

What I'm most curious about myself at the moment is the bit about "the further you are from the fulcrum (green) the less under control the user is", especially as it involves the Star Sapphires.

And sue me if I want to seen Laira (former Green Lantern, current Red Lantern) end up a Star Sapphire. I hate the way they've started miscoloring her skin blue now that she's a Red Lantern.

VtamerX
2008-11-07, 09:28 PM
there is gonna be more than 1 orange lantern. agent orange is just one of the people after the orange light of greed. the main group hunting for the orange light are the controllers i believe. what im interested in is how the indigo lanterns come into play (the compassion powered corps), and how the whole lantern corps war is gonna play out. though yea, i cant wait to see more blue lanterns (gotta love that recharge power of theirs)

Bluelantern
2008-11-07, 10:59 PM
there is gonna be more than 1 orange lantern. agent orange is just one of the people after the orange light of greed. the main group hunting for the orange light are the controllers i believe. what im interested in is how the indigo lanterns come into play (the compassion powered corps), and how the whole lantern corps war is gonna play out. though yea, i cant wait to see more blue lanterns (gotta love that recharge power of theirs)
Did the Blue Oath already showed up?

Does the GL will be enemies with the Blues and Indigos? (the Violet is much likely)

Ravens_cry
2008-11-08, 12:12 AM
Hope.
Hope that the sun will rise, and dawn will come. Hope that despite the odds, despite the fear that grips us, and terror of the night, we will hope. When will can do no more, when all is lost, then hope must continue. For continuing, no matter what, even when any sane being would run, hope will go on. Hope for a tomorrow, hope for a new day. And when that is spent, Hope for hope.
I go for blue.

Though I would have a lot of fun with green. :smallbiggrin:

paddyfool
2008-11-08, 07:57 AM
I'm more curious about what happens when opposites clash...

Hope vs Fear
Compassion vs Avarice
Love vs Hate

Quite besides what happens with Willpower & Death trying to tip the balance either way. Just as long as they don't do any "powers combined" nonsense (Kyle Rayner - White Lantern!), although I have a horrible feeling they might.

Bluelantern
2008-11-08, 09:04 AM
I'm more curious about what happens when opposites clash...

Hope vs Fear
Compassion vs Avarice
Love vs Hate

Quite besides what happens with Willpower & Death trying to tip the balance either way. Just as long as they don't do any "powers combined" nonsense (Kyle Rayner - White Lantern!), although I have a horrible feeling they might.

Captain Lantern!

Tirian
2008-11-08, 02:01 PM
If you're not already preparing for one of Earth's GLs to become Prism, you're not going to be ready when the time comes.

Ashes
2008-11-09, 08:18 AM
Man, this sounds very interesting. I love Green Lantern even though I never had the chance to read much of the stuff. What's the name of this arc? And any arcs that lead up to it?

Bluelantern
2008-11-09, 11:40 AM
If you're not already preparing for one of Earth's GLs to become Prism, you're not going to be ready when the time comes.

not your intention, but one thing that bugged me while reading the beggining of Sinestro Corps War.

Why don't the guardians have several people trained to eventually become green lanterns as a back-up?

UglyPanda
2008-11-09, 02:31 PM
There is a colors combined lantern already. Check out the newest version of Rainbow Girl in a recent issue of Action Comics, also written by Geoff Johns.

not your intention, but one thing that bugged me while reading the beggining of Sinestro Corps War.

Why don't the guardians have several people trained to eventually become green lanterns as a back-up?The answer is the same as why there are only two lanterns assigned to each of the 3600 countably infinite regions of space. It's because of plot.

If they don't have post-crisis Superboy as a Black Lantern I'm going to be upset. If he only appears in Teen Titans tie-ins, I'm going to be mad. Teen Titans tie-in for The Sinestro Corps War was just a Red Skies issue. Starro had five Yellow Power Rings and didn't even use them.

Ashes
2008-11-09, 02:39 PM
Man, this sounds very interesting. I love Green Lantern even though I never had the chance to read much of the stuff. What's the name of this arc? And any arcs that lead up to it?

Please, can someone give me an answer for this?

UglyPanda
2008-11-09, 02:57 PM
Dude, chill.

Emerald Twilight
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Sinestro Corps War

Ashes
2008-11-09, 06:01 PM
Sorry, it just seemed like my post got lost in the midst of conversation.
But thanks for the answers. I appreciate it.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-11-10, 03:38 PM
I'd pick compassion. Why? Because I'm basically a nice guy. A bit too pessimistic and cynical for Hope, though.

Bluelantern
2008-11-10, 08:48 PM
I'd pick compassion. Why? Because I'm basically a nice guy. A bit too pessimistic and cynical for Hope, though.
I understand your feelings, I choose hope mostly out of admiration than thinking that I would actually do something with a blue-ring.

But it would be so cool if I had one T-T

TheEmerged
2008-11-10, 09:48 PM
RE: Did the Blue Lantern already show up?. The first one appears in the last few pages of the "Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns" special. Hal's ring reports that it is 'corrupt' after being hit with Laira's red power, and the first Blue Lantern shows up and not only cures Hal's ring but the ring is now reporting its power as 200%.

RE: Orange Lanterns. I dug the issue in question out and, well, that's what I get for believing what I read on teh interwebs (typo intentional). There are clearly at least 3 and possibly as many as 5 Orange Lanterns pictured on that two-page spread during the Sinestro War (most are on the spine).

RE: Corp Interactions. We've already seen that the Red Lanterns hate the Sinestro Corp as badly as they hate the GL Corp (FC:RotRL). If there's animosity between the green and blue, we haven't seen it yet; my money is that any animosity will be one-way (the Guardians will not want the Greens working with the 'outcast' Blues but I'm betting the Blues will continue being cooperative with the Greens).

Bluelantern
2008-11-14, 02:00 AM
Just something that I really needed to say:

Red Lantern/hate symbol is ridiculous.

Ashes
2008-11-14, 02:11 PM
Just something that I really needed to say:

Red Lantern/hate symbol is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? I like how it keeps it simple as opposed to Hope, Fear and partly Avarice. Those are ridiculous.

HealthKit
2008-11-15, 02:26 AM
The last issue of GL Corps was pretty interesting. There you had Guardians talking to the Zamoran's and they were all up in each others faces, threatening each other with passive-aggressiveness and such.

Seem like shame too, I thought they could easily be allies especially with all could be going on... seems like Darkest Night gets closer and closer every day.

Bluelantern
2008-11-17, 11:05 PM
Well, I guess we need to go to the next logical step.

Time to color the Lanterns! Choose what color would fit a character better:

Lex Luthor - Orange (If there is a Orange Lantern from Earth it MUST be him).

From OOTS:

Miko - Red
Belkar - Red
Ellan - Blue
V. - Green at first, but he going down to Orange
Roy - Green
Durkon - Green... but of course he fits Indigo description of powers (well, most of the time).
Harley - Green (okay that is getting boring, how about we put it as Violet just for the sake of sexism)

kpenguin
2008-11-18, 03:05 AM
Why not Orange for Haley?

HolderofSecrets
2008-11-18, 07:59 AM
Well, I guess we need to go to the next logical step.

Time to color the Lanterns! Choose what color would fit a character better:

Lex Luthor - Orange (If there is a Orange Lantern from Earth it MUST be him).

From OOTS:

Miko - Red
Belkar - Red
Ellan - Blue
V. - Green at first, but he going down to Orange
Roy - Green
Durkon - Green... but of course he fits Indigo description of powers (well, most of the time).
Harley - Green (okay that is getting boring, how about we put it as Violet just for the sake of sexism)

Ok you got some of these wrong. Well at least from my point of view.

Belkar should be Yellow for now and probably Black by the end of the story.

Thog on the other hand will be Red.

V should be Green for the most part but can you tell me where you got Orange from as I have yet to see an once of Greed from V in the comic.

Durkon is definately Blue as he heals and can make anyone a lot stronger. Blue's Drescription really reads like a description of any Good Aligned Cleric.

Harley is the one that really should be Orange. Greed is her main motivation.

paddyfool
2008-11-18, 08:09 AM
Some more OOTS types:

Nale: Orange
Sabine: Violet
Roy's archon: Indigo
Redcloak: Red or Black
Xykon: Yellow or Black
The oracle: Orange
MitD: Undetermined (possibly Orange)

Bluelantern
2008-11-18, 10:43 AM
Ok you got some of these wrong. Well at least from my point of view.
Well, I am offended by the very concept that you have a point of view different from my own

[/joking]

Relax, this is just for fun.

Belkar should be Yellow for now and probably Black by the end of the story.

Black is for the dead, there is not really much option for them...

While Yellow is a good choice, I put Belkar in Red because it seems to fit better with him as he is chaotic, he likes to cause pain, fear is a consequence. Though, Yellow is a close-close second in my opinion, I think Belkar is more hate driven

Thog on the other hand will be Red.

Agreed, but mostly because I don't think that Thog fits the Red Lanterns concept, give him a Ice Cream and the world is a shining place of happiness to him

V should be Green for the most part but can you tell me where you got Orange from as I have yet to see an once of Greed from V in the comic.

V. Greeds for power and control0.

Durkon is definately Blue as he heals and can make anyone a lot stronger. Blue's Drescription really reads like a description of any Good Aligned Cleric.

Most Heroes would be Blue and Green actually, but I think that Hope is a bit too "emotional" and leans towards chaos-good while green fits characters that are more balanced, Durkon knows that sometimes things go wrong and many times gets desperate.

However the powers description fits.

Harley is the one that really should be Orange. Greed is her main motivation.

Maybe early in her life, but I think that Harley moved beyond mere Greed (remember that she wants money because her dad) and I think she leans more towards Blue now.

Gavin Sage
2008-11-18, 11:20 PM
On a factual note, we know from one of the more recent comics that Orange is coming from somewhere in the Vega system. This covers everyone but Indigo for sourcing.

Is it just more is this whole ongoing myth arc far more facinating then by rights it should be? (I completely blame this on a single splash page in the Sinestro Corps special by the way)

And while as a human being I see a lot of myself in several colors, but ultimately would like to think I'd balance out into being a GL.

Bluelantern
2008-11-19, 10:58 AM
Is it just more is this whole ongoing myth arc far more facinating then by rights it should be? (I completely blame this on a single splash page in the Sinestro Corps special by the way)

Well, all true lantern geeks must have a weakness for space wars splash pages =p

UglyPanda
2008-11-19, 12:13 PM
I was psyched about Sinestro Corps in the beginning, just because it meant that Sinestro was no longer jobbing. Then I found out who the other important members are, and I went holy *expletive*. Then I saw the splash page, and was floored.

Bluelantern
2008-11-19, 04:09 PM
I was psyched about Sinestro Corps in the beginning, just because it meant that Sinestro was no longer jobbing. Then I found out who the other important members are, and I went holy *expletive*. Then I saw the splash page, and was floored.

The whole concept of the Sinestro corps is probably one of the greatest in the entire villany history... they are space lawfull evil tyrants who use fear as fuel to they powers that are limited only to they imagination!

Another thing that I sort liked about the whole all colors corps is because it explains why the green lantern are.. well, green.

Other Heroes:

I am not a fan, but I think that Capitain American would likely be Blue

I am not sure if superman is blue or green.

UglyPanda
2008-11-19, 06:49 PM
...Stuff...

I am not sure if superman is blue or green.
In DC One Million, he becomes the last and greatest Green Lantern. He also becomes one in "In Darkest Knight", an Elseworld where Bruce Wayne becomes a Green Lantern instead of Batman.

Of course, the latter is non-canon and the former is now ignored since Sodam Yat is now supposed to be the last Green Lantern.

TheEmerged
2008-11-19, 07:05 PM
In DC One Million, he becomes the last and greatest Green Lantern. He also becomes one in "In Darkest Knight", an Elseworld where Bruce Wayne becomes a Green Lantern instead of Batman.

Of course, the latter is non-canon and the former is now ignored since Sodam Yat is now supposed to be the last Green Lantern.

Are we certain which Earth the "Legion of 3 Earths" is taking place in yet? Last I heard there was still some question about that.

Bluelantern
2008-11-19, 08:04 PM

Does he use the Green Ring to recreate lois? I don't remember very that story.

DCOM was also far before the concept of other-colors-lanterns, at least as far I know... (really when that actually started, sinestro doesn't count).

Tirian
2008-11-19, 11:32 PM
Superman also briefly inherits Guy Gardner's power ring in the alternate future where he becomes President (after defeating GG in combat), but he returned it to the Guardians when they offered him a full-time post.

Gavin Sage
2008-11-20, 01:04 AM
Personally I think the best instance of Supes and a GL ring is in first OYL arc where Clark Kent is offered one by Hal Jordan and then turns it down so he can keep focusing on his investigative journalism. That one is fully in continuity too.

Given that that we've already got Ganthet founding the Blue Lanterns, a former GL in the Red, and of course Sinestro being a GL... seems fair to say that multiple ones make sense. Then there is that girl in Johns Legion arc from Action Comics that could use every color if not at the same time. Yes that counts its the same author.

Bluelantern
2008-11-20, 11:48 AM
Magneto: Yellow or Red?
Cyclops: Green
Gambit: Orange?
Flash: Blue
Nightwing: Green
Robin: Blue

what girl of every color that you are talking about?

Xallace
2008-11-20, 12:11 PM
Also, what corps would you choose? (If you pick green please pick another one as a second choice).

Blue! Also under the impression that it's the one of them I'd be able to do something with. ...Well, it's also completely possible that I could use the other ones (I'm hoping against Red and Yellow and Orange), but I am a big fan of the color blue.

Gavin Sage
2008-11-23, 01:00 AM
what girl of every color that you are talking about?

Rainbow Girl. Part of the Legion of Super Substitute Heroes in the recent Legion Action Comics arc. The arc is Geoff Johns continuation of the Pre-Crisis continuity Legion of Superheroes. She's a minor character (even by Legion standards) that's with mood swings depending on what color she's glowing at the moment. I remember energy blast and her flying around punching stuff with a lot of force, as opposed to some kind of truly multi-color lantern.

Copacetic
2008-11-23, 03:45 AM
Compassion

alchemyprime
2008-11-25, 06:25 PM
Sign me up for a Blue ring. I may not have a lot of will, but I can hope, dammit! I can still hope!

paddyfool
2008-11-25, 06:35 PM
Blue ring, leaning towards indigo.

Yulian
2008-11-25, 09:59 PM
I've worked in professional haunted attractions seasonally for 12 years now.

In blackest day, in brightest night,
Beware your fears made into light
Let those who try to stop what's right,
Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!

Fear is my hobby.

- Yulian

Bluelantern
2008-11-27, 09:10 PM
More people

Scarecrow: Believe me... I think he should use a yellow ring.
Croc: Red
Two-face: It would be cool if he could have two rings, possible Blue and Yellow to stay in a opposite theme, if not two, there we go with yellow.

TheEmerged
2008-11-27, 09:37 PM
More people

Scarecrow: Believe me... I think he should use a yellow ring.

He almost had one, shortly after the Sinestro Corp War. Hal & John got there just in time to intercept it.

Bluelantern
2008-11-29, 01:49 PM
He almost had one, shortly after the Sinestro Corp War. Hal & John got there just in time to intercept it.

awww =|

I was surprised that there aren't any earth lanterns in the sinestro corps (aside from kyle of course).

Gavin Sage
2008-11-29, 01:59 PM
Well the Sinestro Corps mirrors the GL Corps and is organized by sector.... so the original sector member shown for the Sinestro Corps was Abin Sur's son (who's name escapes me) and the ring was captured after that.

Bluelantern
2008-11-29, 02:34 PM
Well the Sinestro Corps mirrors the GL Corps and is organized by sector.... so the original sector member shown for the Sinestro Corps was Abin Sur's son (who's name escapes me) and the ring was captured after that.

If they mirror the GL, shouldn't they have 2 members per sectors?

Also, I would like to say that I puting 7200 to police the UNIVERSE always sounded a little stupid to me >.<

UglyPanda
2008-11-29, 07:21 PM
If they mirror the GL, shouldn't they have 2 members per sectors?

Also, I would like to say that I puting 7200 to police the UNIVERSE always sounded a little stupid to me >.<
Just because you didn't see them, it doesn't mean they weren't there.

It was an writing and editorial decision that the number of Green Lanterns be limited, not some sort of internal logic if that's what you thought was going on. It's a shared universe; If Green Lantern were its own imprint, then there could be millions or billions of Lanterns, but it's not.

They don't want the Green Lantern Corps to become a spotlight stealing squad. If there were a reasonable number of Green Lanterns, think about how much less stupid the Rann-Thanagar War mini-series would have been. During Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Guardians and some Lanterns were shoved in a pocket dimension so that the second-string heroes would have had something to do. I mean, there were much less than 3600 heroes involved in that crossover.

Then there's the whole "You're only special if you're unique" mindset for DC. Hal Jordan went nuts so that Kyle Rayner would be the only Green Lantern. Supergirl died and Power Girl was repeatedly retconned so that Superman would continue to be "The Last Son of Krypton". It's been shown that Rann possesses more than enough equipment to equip a decent army, there's clearly no reason for Adam Strange to their only hero. There are only two Martian superheroes, despite the frequent use of White Martians as villains. Modern Superboy was made using human technology, why couldn't they make another? Heck, why don't cops reverse-engineer Supervillain powersuits and gadgets? Honestly, Green Lanterns aren't the only characters that there is a deficiency of in the DC universe.

Gavin Sage
2008-11-29, 07:41 PM
Well I'd point out that GL mythology has some other weird devices, not the least of which is Oa being the center of the universe. Something ANYONE with knowledge of physics should tell you is utter nonsense. And then there's the infinity of space being divided into finite sectors. Which wouldn't be so bad except it IS presented as all of space. Though one guide issue I have more reasonably maps the sectors as being like spokes of a wheel radiating out from Oa, but this rather just makes the ridiculous smallness of the corps all the more present.

The real reason is bad writing back in the 1960s that is now enshrined enough nobody wants to alter it. And given comic fans inherent bitchyness this is not unwise. In the end the DCU is less a real world and more a world as myth, its a central contrast point with Marvel I think. Which for example has the Skrulls and Kree as occupying the Andromeda and Magellenic Cloud galaxies respectively. However it is occaisonally handwaved as that the Guardians don't want the GL Corps to be a scene stealing squad, nevermind it probably exceeds their power to make a convincingly comple universal police organization. Given you know that even 1 per inhabited star system would be untold billions of GLs.

And the multiple sector members thing is a recent development in Corps I think it entirely possible Sinestro considered it something he'd have no part of, having been thrown out well before it. That said I'm merely speculating, unless its been addressed in the comics and I've not seen it. Depends on how much of Sinestro's BS you believe I'd think....

Yulian
2008-12-01, 01:05 PM
Then there's the whole "You're only special if you're unique" mindset for DC. Hal Jordan went nuts so that Kyle Rayner would be the only Green Lantern. Supergirl died and Power Girl was repeatedly retconned so that Superman would continue to be "The Last Son of Krypton". It's been shown that Rann possesses more than enough equipment to equip a decent army, there's clearly no reason for Adam Strange to their only hero. There are only two Martian superheroes, despite the frequent use of White Martians as villains. Modern Superboy was made using human technology, why couldn't they make another? Heck, why don't cops reverse-engineer Supervillain powersuits and gadgets? Honestly, Green Lanterns aren't the only characters that there is a deficiency of in the DC universe.

Well, they try that tactic, they usually just don't do it right. We already have a whole pack of Kryptonians again, from the "Kingdome Come" Superman, to Earth-2 Power Girl, then Kara, to the Zod family, Non...it's basically a small camp of refugees again.

They also just completely neglected Till'All's existance after the Martian manunter mini. He was a young White Martian who wasn't a genocidal maniac like Protex and his crew. Considering Miss Martian is another White and about the same relative age, I am amazed no one has picked up that thread. Then again, Cay'An, the last remaining Green Martian now will probably be forgotten for some time, too. Additionally, since the Martians are shapechangers, their "racial" distinction is actually purely cultural, sort of like Autobots and Decepticons openly wearing faction symbols.

Conner was made by Lex. Not likely he's going to repeat that one. Remember, Lex is about the only guy to ever clone a Kryptonian with even partial success (usually getting a Bizarro, like Match has degenerated into). Robin's been trying and failing, even with the Titans' tech.

Adam Strange, at least, had an explanation crafted by Alan Moore. The Rannians are a pack of weak milksops, by and large. They are "overly" civilized, more "evolved" than humans and thus, lacking a lot of the aggression responses we still have. So while they have the tech, the vast majority of them are no good at fighting or even thinking aggressively. Adam Strange is like a "super soldier" to them. Which is why they made the mistake of hiring on the even more aggressive Champ Hazard when Adam came back after being lost in space. They didn't understand the threshold where aggression becomes psychosis.

The government not reverse-engineering super-equipment is, of course, a very old trope. Mind you, in some universes, the idea is that the stuff is either not reliable, beyond mainstream understanding, uses unique elements that can't be found or created on Earth, needs some additional power to use (Doc Ock's arms), extraordinarily expensive, or not worth reproducing (I mean Stilt-Man? Who'd want to steal his technology?)
The Marvel U governments and organizations usually do use super-tech though. Sentinels and Guardsmen, multiple types of Super Soldiers, the entire Weapons X and Plus programs, the Mandroid Armor, Dreadnoughts, Code BLUE, the Power Broker, and everything S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra pack.

Actually, when you think about it, the MU has tons of super-tech being used on a regular basis. It's just not for civilian or standard law-enforcement or military use. That last, of course, is a little nonsensical. If the US government has O.N.E. Sentinels, you just know they'd be fielded in ground wars, so would energy weapons.

DC is supposed to have organizations with access to this stuff too, like the Metropolis SCU or Checkmate.

But yes, DC did have this phase where everyone had to be the only one or them plus a kid sidekick going on.

Makes you wonder, though...now that Barry's back (and can someone please explain exactly how this was accomplished? I actually have the issues and I still don't know) and we have Wally...who gets the be the Flash?

- Yulian

TheEmerged
2008-12-01, 01:45 PM
Makes you wonder, though...now that Barry's back (and can someone please explain exactly how this was accomplished? I actually have the issues and I still don't know) and we have Wally...who gets the be the Flash?

- Yulian

I don't believe it's official yet but... you remember back when there were all the Year One specials? Where the continuity was jumped ahead a year and we were supposed to be guessing about what had happened?

Well, the "Legion of Superheroes" had an interesting one. We saw a kid with different colored lantern rings on his hands... and a story suggesting Barry had been rescued just-before-death by time-travelling Legion members White Witch, Sensor Girl, Blok, and Computo.

Now *supposedly* these were just kids telling inspirational stories around a campfire so it may not be the true continuity...

Now you ask me, I hate this. I think it cheapens Barry's death. I'm personally hoping it's a trick or something...

Gavin Sage
2008-12-01, 05:09 PM
I believe (though so help me I haven't looked it up) but that from an official standpoint its hard to kill any speedster in the DCU that has a connection to the Speed Force. When say Barry burned himself out running so fast he less died as in went to heaven, but merged with the Speed Force and couldn't come back. Normally anyways.

Midnight Lurker
2008-12-17, 04:19 PM
Nothing DC says about the Green Lantern Corps makes any sense at all unless you consistently substitute the word "galaxy" for the word "universe."

Seriously, they claim there are only a few dozen inhabited planets in one of those sectors...

TheEmerged
2009-01-02, 03:51 PM
In fearful day
In raging night
With strong hearts full
Our souls ignite
When all sees lost
In the war of light
Look to the stars
For Hope burns bright!

Spoilered for "read the issue already"
Blue lanterns empower things, constantly. They also don't control the shape of things they create -- they're shaped by the unconscious desires of their target. Their rings interfere with the communication of other rings. They can recharge their rings simply from the hope of those around them. The blue lantern of sector X picks the blue lantern of sector x+1, and it takes three days to go from being picked to acctually beign a blue lantern.

Oh, and they confirmed that Hal is who Ganthet & Sayd were talking about with their "He will spread hope", "Yes, *if* he agrees" dialog. And we found out Sinestro has a daughter -- please don't let it be who I think it is...

Nothing DC says about the Green Lantern Corps makes any sense at all unless you consistently substitute the word "galaxy" for the word "universe."

Seriously, they claim there are only a few dozen inhabited planets in one of those sectors...

The explanation for how sectors work has changed numerous times. The current version has the universe as a globe, with each of the 3600 sectors starting on OA and working their way out. Where the sectors end is "Sector 3601", AKA The Source Wall. It's been implied before that the DC universe is smaller than a normal universe due to said Source Wall.

In turn, each of the 52 universes of the DC multiverse is stacked in an inverted pyramid, with Earth 1/New Earth at the bottom, 4 universes stacked in the second layer, 9 in the third, and so on.

Gavin Sage
2009-01-02, 08:59 PM
The explanation for how sectors work has changed numerous times. The current version has the universe as a globe, with each of the 3600 sectors starting on OA and working their way out. Where the sectors end is "Sector 3601", AKA The Source Wall. It's been implied before that the DC universe is smaller than a normal universe due to said Source Wall.

In turn, each of the 52 universes of the DC multiverse is stacked in an inverted pyramid, with Earth 1/New Earth at the bottom, 4 universes stacked in the second layer, 9 in the third, and so on.

Important Correction: New Earth is NOT Earth 1 (So help me I believe its numbered 0 in Superman Beyond, but Earth 1 as separate and distinct goes back to 52 from Rip Hunter)

Also this all exists in the Bleed which is hypothetically whats beyond the Source Wall, which is majorly disapointing if you see anything with the Source Wall in it before this was established.

TheEmerged
2009-01-02, 09:37 PM
Important Correction: New Earth is NOT Earth 1 (So help me I believe its numbered 0 in Superman Beyond, but Earth 1 as separate and distinct goes back to 52 from Rip Hunter)

Also this all exists in the Bleed which is hypothetically whats beyond the Source Wall, which is majorly disapointing if you see anything with the Source Wall in it before this was established.

Last I checked, they're back to saying New Earth is Earth 1 now. DC has double talked themselves repeatedly on this subject, so I understand why you corrected me. You might be right again next week (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_DC_Multiverse_worlds#Earth_0).

There has been more than just a little bit of mixups, mashups, and doubletalking regarding which numbered Earth is which. Earth 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DC_Multiverse_worlds#The_52) is the worst offender, being on its third take as of the Final Crisis: Secret Origin issue. First we were told it was the world of the Atomic Knights (from 52), then we were told it was an ape-world (from Countdown Arena), and now it is being described as "a spooky halloween world where magic and science co-exist" and Jason Blood's Demon is Superman. How that last part of that sentence differs from the rest of the DCU is a subject for bad comedy, but anyway...

For the record, I've heard it seriously argued that "New Earth" is Earth 0, and that there is no Earth 52, and that Earth 1 is going to be a Big Reveal(tm) at some point.

Gavin Sage
2009-01-03, 06:12 PM
Currently the only one that is allowed to gainsay Grant Morrison on this is Geoff Johns. Who gets a pass by writing being the one writing half the DCU anyways, and having been one of the four writing 52 to begin with. If its from another source then those two writers, its wrong.

This especially includes the editorial staff and Dan Didio since they are the ones that produced the worst canon discontiuity since 90s Hawkman. Nothing that happened in Countdown et al occurred....NOTHING!.... okay calming down now

Anyways I agree that Earth 1's should be a big reveal at some point.

WitchSlayer
2009-01-03, 07:32 PM
hugesnip

- Yulian

Who says there can't be three Flashes active? Who knows, with Jay in the JSA and Wally in the JLA, maybe Hal, Barry, and Ollie will have their own "Trinity" book and leave the younger members to work in the JLA and the older ones to work in the JSA.

TheEmerged
2009-01-04, 10:35 PM
Currently the only one that is allowed to gainsay Grant Morrison on this is Geoff Johns. Who gets a pass by writing being the one writing half the DCU anyways, and having been one of the four writing 52 to begin with. If its from another source then those two writers, its wrong.

See, Geoff is the *only* person I'd take as an authority on the subject :smallbiggrin: I'm not terribly fond of Grant Morrison's work of late. Like I said, they've gone back and forth so many times that right now I'm fine with waiting for the dust to settle.

I no longer have my issues of 52 so I can't check. How was Earth 1 listed on the original published list (that came out the week of/before the hated Countdown Arena)?