PDA

View Full Version : DnD 4e "Achievements"

WinterSolstice
2008-11-09, 02:30 AM
For those of you familiar with World of Warcraft, a new "achievement" system was recently introduced to the game that bares a slight resemblance to that of Xbox-live's.

"Achievement points" are dispensed based on special accomplishments in-game (scoring 100 kills in PvP, Looting 100 gold, Killing 100 beasts, reaching certain levels, etc.)

After a few weeks of playing around with these "achievements", the notion to implement an extrapolation of the system to a DnD game crossed my mind.

Obviously such implementation would likely be unwieldy for a group focused on storytelling and character development, but may be quite exciting for centrist players and roll-heavy games.

I was wondering what "achievements" would be present in a DnD version of this system. Obviously it would be on a single-character basis, and geared more towards long-term campaigns.

A few examples crossed my mind

Paragon-Reach Paragon Tier-ehhh, lets say...10 Achv Points, that's the standard # in WoW's system

Epic-Reach Epic Tier- either 10 or 20 points, as epic is a pretty big deal

Behold!-Kill a Beholder- 10 points

Pretty good, but whose counting? -kill 100 enemies- 10 points

You Guys Must Really Like me-Be Raised from the dead- 10 points

Clemency-Force a bloodied opponent to surrender using the Intimidate skill- 10 points

ehh, that's all I've got for now. Further submissions/suggestions would be welcomed, particularly those having to do with social interaction and/or traps/puzzles.

(also, please keep the WoW-hate and "impracticality issues" comments to a minimum, as this is purely a speculative idea)

thanks!:smallbiggrin:

Lairship
2008-11-09, 09:31 AM
To Hell Ya' Will - Roleplay as a cowboy for ten minutes, ignoring current race and class. - Ten Points

By Crom! - Roleplay as Conan the Barbarian, ignoring current race and class. - Ten Points

Antediluvian - Roleplay an ancient, east European vampire, ignoring current race and class. - Ten Points

Holy Haberdashery, Batman! - Roleplay as Robin, ignoring current race and class. - Twenty Points

St. George You Ain't - Escape from a powerful dragon at low level - Ten Points

St. George You Is! - Land the killing blow on a dragon - Fifty Points Points

Monster Rancher - Tame Six Beasts - Ten Points

Old School - Kill every monster on sight, loot everything, weild a flaming sword. - Ten points

Tingel
2008-11-09, 10:31 AM
Old School - Kill every monster on sight, loot everything, weild a flaming sword. - Ten points
This is a general "life style", not an achievement. You only described a continuous modus operandi, and it is thus impossible to award the 10 achievement points. After all, there is no "event condition" that could trigger the award.

Meek
2008-11-09, 11:28 AM
I would change "Old School" to "Convince the DM to let you pull off an improvisational maneuver using one of your ability scores and succeed." Rulings over rules and all that.

chronoplasm
2008-11-09, 02:16 PM
Killed a Dragon from the Inside

Zocelot
2008-11-09, 02:31 PM
Good job, but can you play it? Make a character in under 15 minutes - 10 points
One on One Kill a Solo creature by yourself - 10 points
No Deviation Make and sucessfully follow through with a plan that isn't "Run in and kill everything" - 5 points
Clones Belong to a party of at least 4 people, where everybody plays the same class - 10 points

Shades of Gray
2008-11-09, 02:38 PM
What's that infernal racket?! Play a bard with as low charisma as possible.
Nothing to see here officer... Bluff a city guard.

Zocelot
2008-11-09, 02:52 PM
These aren't the droids you're looking for Bluff a city guard.

Fixed for you.

Pirate_King
2008-11-09, 03:35 PM
what exactly what you do with said points? add them to the experience point total for the encounter? I have the tendency to grant experience point bonuses for such things already.

Mando Knight
2008-11-09, 03:49 PM
Nice Shot Kid (That was one in a million!) Defeat a Solo creature with a critical hit. 50? Points

Laser Daser Bobaser Bananafanafofaser Defeat a Solo creature alone, using only ranged powers with the Radiant keyword. 30? Points

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-09, 03:53 PM
what exactly what you do with said points? add them to the experience point total for the encounter? I have the tendency to grant experience point bonuses for such things already.Absolutely nothing. Just like achievements in WoW or XBox Live.

Also, I earned the "St. George You Is!" achievement in one session! Awesome!

Inyssius Tor
2008-11-09, 03:58 PM
what exactly what you do with said points? add them to the experience point total for the encounter? I have the tendency to grant experience point bonuses for such things already.

Psh, achievements don't have a reason!

Although, maybe...

Achievement Whore
"Dude, what the hell? We're trying to save the world here! Quit trying to solo things with that Bohemian Earspoon and help us already."

Prerequisite: 500 achievement points.

Mewtarthio
2008-11-09, 04:05 PM
The Fork of Horripilation--Defeat an Elite monster of your level or above by yourself using only basic melee attacks with a mundane barbecue fork. (30 points)

Fraternity Hazing--Exchange all your points for pints. Of beer, that is. Then, drink them all in one sitting. (2x your current score, plus one free liver transplant)

Randel
2008-11-09, 04:16 PM
Non-action hero Go through an entire adventuring day without using an action point - 10 points

I was saving it for when I really needed it Go through an entire adventuring day without using a daily power - 10 points

We don't even HAVE a hunger system! Eat the body of an enemy that you've slain - 10 points

Diplomacy rarely works Use diplomacy to disarm an encounter that would normally end in battle - 10 points

Intimidation is the better part of valor Use intimidation to disarm an encounter that would normally end in battle - 10 points

The magic is willing but the flesh is weak Become a lich - 100 points

There are no Jehovahs Witnesses in this setting! Convert 10 servants of evil to a good religion - 10 points

Your weakness is Kleptonite Steal absolutely everything of even moderate value from an adventuring site, including furniture, decorations, the corpses of enemies or even the site itself - 10 points

The pan is mightier than the sword Donate at least 1,000 gp to charity to help out citizens - 20 points

Encounter Bypass Evade the party around five encounter groups, receiving full XP for each one (note: this doesn't work if there is a valid in-game reason that you have to confront the encounter, sneaking past monsters in a dungeon is valid, evading a group of bandits heading toward a village isn't unless you are able to prevent the bandits from reaching the village without your party rolling initiative to fight the bandits)- 20 points.

You fool! You've dammed us all! Dammed I say! Unleash a zombie apocolypse, chaos beast infestation, or some other type of spawning monster plague into the setting without the help of the actual bad guys - 1 point

At least you know how to clean up your own mess, knucklehead! Solve the aforementioned problem you created. - 10 points

You're getting real good at being bad Take over the BBEG's job after you beat him - 30 points

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Successfully take over the world - 100 points

Its not nice to mess with drunks. Successfully get a group of NPC adventurers to go onto a dangerous quest for no good reason - 1 point

Job
2008-11-10, 01:02 PM
The First Step Kill an enemy by using force movement to push them off an elevation – 5 points

Do I Look All Right To You! Survive a 100 square fall after crashing – 20 points

Double Jump Use a power to avoid falling while simultaneously causing an opponent to fall – 10 points

Rollplay Successfully complete a social skill challenge using only the relevant skill with the highest modifier – 10 points

Do It from Behind Make a successful critical sneak attack – 10 points

tgva8889
2008-11-10, 11:51 PM
Dishonorable Cur Never make any attacks during an encounter that Sneak Attack would not apply to. - 10 points

Sorry I'm Late Have your character arrive late to the major encounter of the campaign somehow. - 1 point

Dodge This Deliver a point-blank critical attack from a traditionally ranged weapon. - 10 points

Fumble Master Roll more than three 1's in a single encounter. - 20 points

MacGyver Defeat an encounter using only improvised equipment throughout the entirety of the encounter. - 10 points

That Still Only Counts As One! Kill both a mount and its rider in one attack. - 30 points.

Knaight
2008-11-11, 06:23 PM
Catch-Sling a sling stone with catch written on it at somebody. 1 point
Cought-Catch a sling stone, arrow, or thrown weapon. 20 points
Take em' Down-Grab an airborne enemy without using magic and take them to the ground. 20 points.
Loop de Loop-Successfully defeat an elite opponent, by yourself, with only a lasso. 100 points.
Ride em' Cowboy-Successfully lasso and drag somebody while mounted.

Job
2008-11-17, 03:41 PM
Stop Drop and Roll: Make three saves against ongoing conditions that deal fire damage - 10 points