PDA

View Full Version : ECL8 VoP Saint Incarnate... where to?

jeek
2008-11-10, 04:34 PM
All feats are pulled from Book of Exalted Deeds and Lords of Madness
Incarnate Class is from Magic of Incarnum
Starting Stats (32 point buy):
Str 10/Dex 17/Con 14/Int 14/Wis 13/Cha 8
Flaws: Pathetic (CHA), Murky-Eyed

Feats:
L1: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Bestial Hide, Aberration Blood (Segmented Eyes), Vow of Abstinence
L2: Vow of Chasity
L3: Starspawn
L4: Vow of Purity
L6: Inhuman Reach, Touch of Golden Ice

Skills: I've maxed out Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, and Spot

At level 6, I just became a Saint (BoED), which means I don't get the next two levels due to the acquired template.

Current Stats:
Str 10/Dex 18/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 15/Cha 10

Armor class: I get exalted, deflection, and natural armor bonuses from the Vow of Poverty, I get a natural armor bonus from the Bestial Hide feat that stacks with my other natural armor bonus, and I get nonstacking insight bonuses from both Saint (currently +2) and a meld I can take as an Incarnate (where if I spend 3 essentia it's a +3 bonus).

I typically go around with these melds:
Hands: Astral Vambraces
Throat: Dissolving Spittle
Crown: Soulspark Familiar [Bound]
Soul: Incarnate Avatar

However, that was before I hit level 6 and got the other insight bonus from being a Saint. (I think it also gets me a second bind as an incarnate.)

Level 7 doesn't give me any real choices other than my ascetic stat bonus (starting with Dex), but I have a few to make come level 8. I'm putting a point into Wisdom to raise my Saint insight bonus to AC another point, and I have to pick another Exalted feat. But.. I'm running out of them. Also, come level 9 I'm stuck trying to decide between another aberration feat, bonus essentia, or perhaps trying a new path altogether. Going for Waterspawn at 9 and Warped Mind at 12 is tempting, but I'm starting to think the two feats aren't worth it for what wlll essentially be another point of natural AC and a sometimes will save bonus. Another option is to grab the feat that lets me put two melds on the same chakra so I can take Astral Vambraces and Theft Gloves at the same time.

Typically, in combat, I run around and spit acid, and my opponents are having a ***** of a time killing me. (and that was before I got the fast healing from being a saint) Our thief keeps not showing up, and given a day's notice, I can take over for her. Between my fast healing and the meld that lets me heal (Invested Essentia * My Class Level) to each character once per hour, I can also take over as the party healer.

Where the hell do I go from here? I have no idea what feats/abilities to go for at this point.

Saint Nil
2008-11-10, 04:38 PM
How did you take 3 feats(not counting the flaw feats) at first level?

wadledo
2008-11-10, 04:41 PM

I think VoP gives a free feat at 1st as well, plus human.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-10, 04:44 PM

1st level feat, Human feat, VoP bonus feat

Telonius
2008-11-10, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not until 2nd level.

But yes, where you should go is directly to your local looney bin, and let them know that your DM is ready for collection. :smallbiggrin:

jeek
2008-11-10, 04:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not until 2nd level.

But yes, where you should go is directly to your local looney bin, and let them know that your DM is ready for collection. :smallbiggrin:

There is an exalted bonus feat at level 1 for ascetics. Then every even numbered level after that.

monty
2008-11-10, 05:07 PM
Vow of Poverty gets the same feat progression as fighter - 1, plus all even levels.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-10, 05:11 PM
Well, if you want effective, I've no idea. If you want hilarious, start taking the Illithid Heritage feats from CPsi. If you want theurgey goodness, see if you can take three levels of cleric (or two levels of Ur-Priest, if you can get the "non-good only" requirement removed by your DM) and go into Sapphire Hierarch.

But if you want farking awesome (and by the way my DM allows homebrew)? I have been dying to try out a PrC of mine: the Penumbracarnate. You'll need to drop three levels into Shadowcaster (Tome of Magic) and to have an Int 13 (which you've got covered). You'll also need to reflavor the "shadowcasting" as instead "fartouched casting"--that is, you're drawing upon the very substance of the Far Realms for magic, and bringing it to fruition here. You'd need to focus on buffing and movement spells mostly, due to your subpar Cha score, but Shadowcasting has a great number of self-buff/mobility spells in it--flicker immediately springs to mind.

jeek
2008-11-10, 05:42 PM
Well, if you want effective, I've no idea. If you want hilarious, start taking the Illithid Heritage feats from CPsi.

You need a power point reserve to start taking the Illithid Heritage feats.

If you want theurgey goodness, see if you can take three levels of cleric (or two levels of Ur-Priest, if you can get the "non-good only" requirement removed by your DM) and go into Sapphire Hierarch.

I'm neutral good (the only alignment allowed by my feat/class combination), and Sapphire Hierarch requires Lawful.

But if you want farking awesome (and by the way my DM allows homebrew)? I have been dying to try out a PrC of mine: the Penumbracarnate. You'll need to drop three levels into Shadowcaster (Tome of Magic) and to have an Int 13 (which you've got covered). You'll also need to reflavor the "shadowcasting" as instead "fartouched casting"--that is, you're drawing upon the very substance of the Far Realms for magic, and bringing it to fruition here. You'd need to focus on buffing and movement spells mostly, due to your subpar Cha score, but Shadowcasting has a great number of self-buff/mobility spells in it--flicker immediately springs to mind.

I'll take a look at your prestige class.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-10, 05:53 PM
You need a power point reserve to start taking the Illithid Heritage feats.

Wild Talent (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Wild_Talent,XPH) or Hidden Talent feat would cover that nicely, though Hidden Talent has a lame 1st-level only prerequisite.

jeek
2008-11-10, 06:14 PM
Wild Talent (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Wild_Talent,XPH) or Hidden Talent feat would cover that nicely, though Hidden Talent has a lame 1st-level only prerequisite.

So, with Double Chakra at 9, Wild Talent at 12... I get to take Illithid Heritage itself at 15 and one actual heritage feat at 18. Seems kind of not good.

Also: Blast, Compulsion, and Enthusiast are worthless without actual powers. Extraction requires Grapple, which requires one other feat on top of the Heritage starter. Legacy requires another feat as well, and Skin...well.. at level 18 I'd like to get more out of a feat than just +1 to natural AC.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-10, 06:22 PM
Point taken. Remember, I said that was the "hilarious" option.

Glimbur
2008-11-11, 01:06 AM
You've got Fast Healing, you're an Incarnate. Why do you not shape Lifebond Vestments for out of combat healing? Granted, they don't really take off until you can bind them to your heart to lift the time restriction, but that's a fair gob of healing after a combat. Your cleric will thank you.

jeek
2008-11-11, 07:14 AM
You've got Fast Healing, you're an Incarnate. Why do you not shape Lifebond Vestments for out of combat healing?

That is pretty much the entire out-of-character reason I became a Saint. (DM wasn't cool with Half-Stained-Glass Golem)