PDA

View Full Version : Fire Emblem D&D

Raz_Fox
2008-11-11, 08:26 AM
Alright, an idea that's been bouncing about my brain-box for a while now was playing a D&D game that's based on the Fire Emblem games. I love the setting and trademark character of the Fire Emblem games. The tactical focus of 4th Edition naturally ties in to the gameplay of the Fire Emblem games, and I'd love to DM a game that had heroic warriors, pegasus riders and tome-using mages.

Other than that, I haven't a clue how to run a game that feels like it's set in one of the FE games, retaining the trademark charm and wonder while still allowing players to have fun and make a difference. Naturally, I turned to the forums for advice. My question:

Do you have any suggestions or reccomendations to help me successfully run such a game and create a setting that captures the feel of the Fire Emblem games? :smallbiggrin:

Fiery Diamond
2008-11-11, 08:28 AM
No suggestions, just that I hope others give you some suggestions, as I've been thinking about that for a very long time as well. Because FE and D&D are both really awesome.

Catch
2008-11-11, 08:44 AM
Well, if you want to emulate the weapon triangle, you can arrange the weapon groups into three categories--say, light and heavy blades in one, axe/mace/flail weapons in another, and polearms in a third. From there, draft a house rule that gives +2 to hit against a foe using one group and -2 against the other. That preserves the tactical strategy of targeting foes with the proper weapon, though this idea requires that the DM and the players make explicit weapon choices rather than choosing one as an afterthought.

Mando Knight
2008-11-11, 08:55 AM
Sneakity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBupII3LH_Q) sneakity sneakity...

Try this? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88142)

Arq Kujos
2008-11-11, 10:43 AM
First, great work, Mando Knight. There are a lot of great things to draw from in that thread. Secondly, if you really want to capture the feel of the game, have a common theme with the enemies. Make them follow certain patterns or character classes. One of Fire Emblem's biggest staples was the recognizable classes. Now, that doesn't mean you keep throwing the same enemies at them over and over. There are lots of classes to draw from. And don't forget the Ballistas.

Mando Knight
2008-11-11, 08:05 PM
First, great work, Mando Knight.

Thanks. If anyone here wants to post their ideas on that thread, it's *technically* not dead yet...

Raz_Fox
2008-11-13, 08:58 AM
@Catch: That's a really good idea! I'll have to remember that.

@Arq: That's probably what I'd have to do - the difference is in the maps and how the units are used.

@Mando Knight: Your homebrew is geared more to high-level play, but I will use the "Tome Implement." :smallsmile:

Cool! Does anyone have any more ideas?

The Nightwalker
2009-09-11, 08:20 PM
I suggest you think about class a little because if you think about some of the class of fire emblem are a mix

like I tried to make a jaffar(assassin) but he had a couple of levels in ranger and rouge then the assassin prestigeclass, I also tried to think up of a Rath (nomad) build but it's a little challanging.

class can be difficult but you also have to think of the spells

like I don't think D&D have anything that like flux or most of the dark magic in Fire emblem. Anima magic is simple there some spells like that. light magic Haven't really seen spells like that in D&D.

there also that one character that can always turn into a dragon.
Then you thing of pegasus knight what there build wouyld be like.

Plus I bet draco knights would be a little overpowered.
also if you want the weapons to act like certain weapons in Fire Emblem like keen wepons be like killing edges and you could look for some enchants that would act light a runblade or lightbrand or better yet a wind sword!

Gralamin
2009-09-11, 08:25 PM
also if you want the weapons to act like certain weapons in Fire Emblem like keen wepons be like killing edges and you could look for some enchants that would act light a runblade or lightbrand or better yet a wind sword!

You could replicate a Windsword pretty well with Blade of the Eldritch Knight from AV2, I imagine. Maybe decrease the reach though...

Vorpal word
2009-09-11, 09:51 PM
I've thought about making the weapons system too, but there's one problem: If your character is low level and, therefore, low on feats/abilities, dropping his axe to defend against a swordsman could give him a better defense bonus...:smalltongue:

The other stuff's pretty good, though of course certain classes, like Monks, are missing.

Fiery Diamond
2009-09-11, 11:46 PM
...sigh...
This is thread Necromancy, the bane of actual productive discussions.
Well, there are a lot of other banes of productive discussions, but this is one of them.
EEEEK! Zombie Thread! RUN AWAY!!!