PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tripping build...

Tyger
2008-11-13, 08:22 PM
Is there anything, other than Improved Trip and Combat Reflexes, that really maxes out a tripping build at low levels? I was wondering about a fighter, 6th level.

With the base feats (7 in total) he could get:
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Combat Reflexes
Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapon Proficiency Exotic: Spiked Chain
Ambidexterity
???

Which would net 3 attacks per round, all with trip possibilities, and as many AoOs as his dexterity would permit, again, all with trip possibilities. So what else could one use (feat wise) to boost this up. In addition, any particular enhancements or gear that would make that sort of build even better?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-13, 08:39 PM
You need size boosts. Potions of Enlarge Person, Large Size, Powerful Build, Expansion(requires PsyWar 1, but allows you to be non-humanoid which Enlarge Person doesn't). I'd suggest Half-Giant PsyWar 1 with at least 14 Wis. Barbarian is nice, too. I would not recommend taking Fighter beyond 4, and would suggest dropping the TWF feats(how were you planning on TWF with a 2-hander anyways) and why is Ambidexterity in there?

monty
2008-11-13, 08:42 PM
Once you can get into Master Thrower, the Trip Shot ability opens up some interesting possibilities with ranged trips.

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-13, 08:45 PM
If this is 3.5, why do you have Ambidexterity? And I'm going to have to echo Sstoopidtallkid's question concerning how you'd use twf with the chain in the first place. Also, I'd suggest power attack, and maybe even Stand Sill.

imperialspectre
2008-11-13, 08:48 PM
Spiked Chain is a two-handed weapon. Ambidexterity and TWF (are you playing 3.0?) become pointless in that situation. Replace with Weapon Finesse for Dexterity focus or Power Attack for doing more damage with a two-handed weapon. Or both, since you can finesse and Power Attack with the spiked chain by RAW.

Alternatively, use your spare feats to get Martial Study and Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades, if you can do that at your level (I'm not sure about prerequisites).

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-13, 08:51 PM
Alternatively, use your spare feats to get Martial Study and Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades, if you can do that at your level (I'm not sure about prerequisites).

Those are the only feat prerequisites, so that would work. If you can do that, definitely get Stand Still.

Random NPC
2008-11-13, 09:23 PM
I would say Psychic Warrior 2/Fighter 4

If you go human you would have 9 feats, which eases up the tripping build.

Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Combat Reflexes
Weapon Proficiency Exotic (Spiked Chain)
Weapon Finesse
Power Attack
Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain)
Any other two

After that take two levels of Crusader and on the second level just select thicket of blades stance (ANY sort of movement provokes an AoO)

From there on you may want to go Exotic Weapon Master and take some nifty tricks, like Flurry with the Spiked Chain! If you don't want to go that way, you may as well not select Weapon Focus.

Thurbane
2008-11-13, 09:24 PM
Grab Leadership, and nab yourself a Marshal cohort with high CHA and the Art of War minor aura - you (and everyone else) will get his CHA bonnus to your trip attempts, amongst others.

Maybe a few levels of Factotum, to get your INT bonus to all STR and DEX checks, including Trip...

monty
2008-11-13, 10:03 PM
Grab Leadership, and nab yourself a Marshal cohort with high CHA and the Art of War minor aura - you (and everyone else) will get his CHA bonnus to your trip attempts, amongst others.

Maybe a few levels of Factotum, to get your INT bonus to all STR and DEX checks, including Trip...

Wouldn't Motivate Strength be better, since it applies to more stuff (unless you're doing a ranged trip build, of course)?

RagnaroksChosen
2008-11-13, 10:28 PM
Spiked armour and a 2hander for TWF no?

so spiked armour and chains?

Tyger
2008-11-13, 11:03 PM
Yes... my bad. Big idiot. I started playing 4e and my 3.5 brains dribbled out. Ignore references to TWFing and Ambidexterity. :)

Hal
2008-11-13, 11:11 PM
I like Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown). Eventually it's simple to do this kind of damage, and with Combat Reflexes you can end up locking down a number of enemies without resorting to some of the standard tropes of the tripper build.