PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of a Warmage

pyrefiend
2008-11-14, 11:19 PM
I've recently started to build a new character for a campaign I'll be starting soon. I'm making a gnomish warmage, and I'm wondering what feats, prestige classes, etc. are best for optimizing such a character. Yes, I know that warmage isn't a particularly powerful class to begin with, nor is gnome the best suited race for optimizing it. Both were chosen for story purposes. Also, I would like to know if there is any reasonable way that this character could fight and cast while mounted.

The stats for the character are: 10, 16, 11, 14, 8, 17
I own all the core books, all of the Complete books, PhBII, and a few others which I doubt would be useful.

So, what's the best way to optimize a warmage? Any and all input is appreciated. :smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-14, 11:26 PM
Your only dump stat is Wis, unfortunately. Drop 17 Cha, 16 Int, the 14 in either Con or Dex, the 10 in the other, and the 11 in Str. Warmages are rough to build, and they are really worse than blast-focused Sorcerers or Psions. If you want to be mounted you have 2 options. Either buy a bunch of War-Trained Riding Dogs, or the Wild Cohort feat will allow you an Animal Companion-esque that you can ride and will be survivable and have offensive power.

pyrefiend
2008-11-14, 11:30 PM
Actually, I already have a mount... a fellow PC. Its a bit complicated, but through a combination of DM leniency with the rules and creativity on my friends' part, one of the other party members could function as a mount. He's an unarmed swordsage and has a speed of 50 ft. The entire party is starting out at level 1.

monty
2008-11-14, 11:32 PM
Actually, I already have a mount... a fellow PC. Its a bit complicated, but through a combination of DM leniency with the rules and creativity on my friends' part, one of the other party members could function as a mount. He's an unarmed swordsage and has a speed of 50 ft. The entire party is starting out at level 1.

:smallconfused:
I'll refrain from making any jokes. It's just too easy.

pyrefiend
2008-11-14, 11:36 PM
I'll refrain from making any jokes. It's just too easy.
Somehow, someway, I wrote that entire thing without realizing how much I set myself up for that.

RTGoodman
2008-11-15, 12:54 AM
Actually, I had a player a while back that wanted to be a mounted Warmage, and we managed to find the Mounted Spellcasting feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a) on the WotC website. Maybe not the MOST optimal (since I don't really know how hard the Concentration checks are to cast spells while mounted), but it's thematically appropriate.

Mounted Spellcasting [General]
You are adept at casting spells while mounted.
Prerequisites: Mounted Combat, Concentration 5 ranks, ability to cast 1st-level arcane or divine spells.
Benefit: When casting spells while mounted, you do not have to make Concentration checks because of your mount's movement.
Normal: Without this feat, you must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + the level of the spell you're casting) or lose the spell.

In other news, check out Todd's Warmage Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-463783) - it should have some decent CharOp advice for you and is mentioned in a lot of threads that seem to come up when you Google for "Warmage Optimization" or something similar.

Frosty
2008-11-15, 12:57 AM
Somehow, someway, I wrote that entire thing without realizing how much I set myself up for that.

Are you named Ratsel and your mount Sanger?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-15, 01:05 AM
Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster (RotD), it gives you early access to the next level of spells. Go Warmage 4/ Rainbow Servant 10, theme it after a different creature if you can, a personal favorite of mine is Phoenix Servant. Appropriate domains would be Good, Fire, and Renewal, and you wouldn't need to change anything else about it other than what the wings look like. That will allow you to spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list, and you'll still be able to get 9th level spells thanks to Versatile Spellcaster.

I'd go Str 9, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 17 after racial adjustments.

monty
2008-11-15, 01:13 AM
That will allow you to spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list, and you'll still be able to get 9th level spells thanks to Versatile Spellcaster.

...unless the DM lets you use the text version, in which case you get normal casting anyway.

SoD
2008-11-15, 01:49 AM
If you do chuck that 8 into wisdom, may I suggest the feat 'Force of Personality'? It lets you swap your wis bonus with cha bonus for will saves.

Kris Strife
2008-11-15, 09:09 AM

I would have said Master and Blaster personally.

LibraryOgre
2008-11-15, 03:37 PM

I would figure Master and Blaster... perhaps with the names reversed, since one is a monk-type (Master), and the other is blasty.

Seffbasilisk
2008-11-15, 04:55 PM
Two basic feats I'd highly recommend, Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

Your orb spells are extremely valuable once your allies are committed to battle, and those two feats lets you place the orbs without the -4 or/and, as some DMs houserule, fear of hitting your allies with them.

I'd also say boost Dex over Con. You're too fragile to be taking many hits anyway, so it's better to up your chance of dodging them, and make your spells that bit more accurate.

Paul H
2008-11-15, 08:58 PM
Hi

Sure you'll get plenty support re: feats, but what about your Advanced learning choices?

Suggest:
3) Tensers Floating Disk. (Useful Utility spell)
6) Leomund's Tiny Hut. (Another Force spell that creates a 20' rad. globe around you, effectively making you invis. Lasts 2hrs/lvl).
11) Wall of Force. (Yet another Force spell)

With all those Force spells you qualify for Argent Savant at 11th lvl, but one of the best ones is Rainbow Servant from Complete Divine.

If you can meet the Cuatl prereq then you (eventually) add the the Domain spells to your spells known from Air, Good & Law domains, plus you get the domain powers as well. 10th lvl of this PrC adds the ENTIRE Cleric spell list to your own. The downside is the debate whether it's a full caster class or not. The Text says yes. The Table says no, as does the FAQ. Something to ask your GM to adjudicate before you try ths PrC.

Whatever the answer, your spell list now contains the entire list for Warmage, the Advanced Learning options, the entire Cleric list, plus the spells of the Air, Good & Law domains. Disintegrate one round, Mass Cure Mod the next..... Remember, if the Cleric spell causes damage, you still get to add your 'Edge/Extra Edge'.

I reckon it's a powerful build, but Coatl access might be a problem.

Cheers
Paul H

Paul H
2008-11-15, 09:23 PM
Hi

Suggested career for Rainbow Servant

1) Warmage, Toughness
2) Warmage
3) Warmage, Sudden Extend, Adv Learn (Tensers Disk)
4) Warmage
5) Warmage
6) Warmage, Extra Edge, Adv Learn (Leomunds Hut)
7) Rainbow Servant, Detect Evil, Good Domain
8) RS
9) RS, Sudden Empower
10) RS, Air Domain, Grow Wings
11) RS
12) RS, Sudden Maximise
13) RS, Detect Chaos, Law Domain
14) RS
15) RS, Fiery Burst
16) RS, Detect Thoughts, Cleric Spells

Also, don't forget the Runestaves from Magic Item Compendium, (Pgs 176 onwards). They allow you to use your spell slots to cast other arcane spells. Circlet of Mages (MIC 86) allows you to regain spent spell slots. Plenty of other useful items to be found there.

Cheers
Paul H

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-17, 01:16 PM
Also, don't forget the Runestaves from Magic Item Compendium, (Pgs 176 onwards). They allow you to use your spell slots to cast other arcane spells.

In order to use a runestaff, a character "must have the spell on her spell list and be of sufficient level to cast it..."

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070216a

Very useful for sorcerors - not useful at all for warmages (if I understand how the warmage's spell list works).

TempusCCK
2008-11-17, 01:21 PM
Since you're going warmage, I can assume that you're not all that interested in optimization, but might I recommend going Battle Sorceror? You get a few less spells per day than the average sorceror, but your list isn't nearly as narrowed as the Warmage's, also, spontaneous casting counts alot in a realistic standpoint, as opposed to the omnipotent wizards who always know everything that you'll hear about from this place.

However, they do lack full BAB, which isn't alot of fun, but try it out, see if it'll work for your concept.

Paul H
2008-11-17, 01:37 PM
Hi

OK - missed that one. There's still plenty of other items in the MIC that grant you to convert extra spells/day.

Eg. Raiment of Sullen Sea & Belt of Wide Earth. Both part of Raiment of the Four set (Pg 204).
First allows you to hold breath for 12 hrs, plus allows to to convert spells into Freedom of Movement 2/day. Costs 6,000gp.
The Second allows you to double your carrying capacity plus allows to to convert spells into Teleport 2/day. Cost 8,000gp.
Having both grants extra bonus of Cold Resistance 5

Cheers
Paul H

Kris Strife
2008-11-17, 02:28 PM
You get a few less spells per day than the average sorceror, but your list isn't nearly as narrowed as the Warmage's, also, spontaneous casting counts alot in a realistic standpoint, as opposed to the omnipotent wizards who always know everything that you'll hear about from this place.
Warmages are spontaneous casters already.

monty
2008-11-17, 04:32 PM
Honestly, I'd rather take the warmage. Battle sorcerers' spells known suck anyway, and they get fewer spells per day. If you're going to be a blaster, be a decent one.

Behold_the_Void
2008-11-17, 06:05 PM

Should be other way around and Warblade :)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-17, 07:36 PM
Honestly, I'd rather take the warmage. Battle sorcerers' spells known suck anyway, and they get fewer spells per day. If you're going to be a blaster, be a decent one.Regular Sorc is much better at blasting than Warmage. The Rapid Metamagic variant, the ability to use Runestaves, the greater number of utility spells, Sorc is always a better option.

monty
2008-11-17, 07:40 PM
Regular Sorc is much better at blasting than Warmage. The Rapid Metamagic variant, the ability to use Runestaves, the greater number of utility spells, Sorc is always a better option.

That's a regular sorcerer, though. Battle sorcerer doesn't get enough spells known to have any real utility and still be a good blaster. Rapid Metamagic can be covered with a feat. Don't know too much about runestaves, though.

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-17, 10:58 PM
Two basic feats I'd highly recommend, Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

Your orb spells are extremely valuable once your allies are committed to battle, and those two feats lets you place the orbs without the -4 or/and, as some DMs houserule, fear of hitting your allies with them.
Or you could not waste two of your feats. Things like Force of Personality, Versatile Spellcaster (hands down the best feat around for a Beguiler or Warmage; never worry about running out of spells ever again), or even Extra Spell (if the DM approves, everything you can add to your list is a superb boon) will give you much more milage. Action Surge if you're in Eberron is top-notch for spontaneous casters.

Eclectic Learning from PH2 is better than Advanced Learning. Rune Delver's Fortune (SpC) is a lifesaver if you grab it with Eclectic Learning; Greater Invisibility or Greater Mirror Image (PH2) will also keep you safe. Otherwise, I'd like to point out Defenestrating Sphere (SpC) as one of the coolest mid-level spells that you can grab.

If you can get into Rainbow Servant, do so. I think that the text is the correct one to use (using the table means you'll be horribly gimped). The suggestion to reflavor it to something more Warmage-related, such as a Phoenix, is cool.