PDA

View Full Version : buffs and swift sorcerer spells for combat

sleepy
2008-11-16, 07:55 PM
I'm interested in building a battle sorcerer who uses his magic primarily to enchance his headbashing capability (and his allies too), I'm wondering what are some good spell choices. I'd like to build him for lowish/moderate level, probably 7. That's 3 third, 5 second, and 5 first level spells a day, with 1 third, 2 second, and 4 first level spells known.

Third level spell should probably be haste? Maybe even go into Swiftblade if the feat costs don't prove too high?

I'd like one second level spell to be Wraithstrike. Baleful Transposition, Swift Fly, and Blur all look like interesting second picks to me, though I'd be open to some sort of debuff. I'm not sure if Alter Self is too cheesy. The +4 to a stat spells are probably not worth it... right?

Grease makes the first level spell cut, Enlarge Person probably does too. One of the debuff rays might be fun, and/or something that interferes with enemy casting. Could always grab a Lesser Orb, I suppose.

Isn't there a Lion's Charge spell like the psionic version? That could be useful, probably better than a barb dip.

Feats should include Power Attack, the feat that improves your casting in armour to work with heavier armour, probably Leap Attack.

What do you guys think might be clever or fun? I'm more interested in thematic choices than 100% min/maxed ones, but I'd like him to be nonterrible.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 07:59 PM
Blur can be added to armor, saving you an action. alter Self is awesome, and not as bad as the other Poly spells.

FYI, Battle Sorc sucks. Bracers of Blurring Armor +1(4k) and Mage Armor or Greater Mage Armor are much better than losing spell slots to wear armor, and with touch attacks you can hit most enemies fairly easily anyways.

monty
2008-11-16, 08:01 PM
If you look around the site (or just ask), you'll probably find gish builds that are much better than Battle Sorcerer.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-16, 08:18 PM
Animalistic Power (+2 enh. to Str, Dex, and Con) is a good buff. Sor/Wiz 2, PHB-II.

Since you have such limited spell selection, the best method is to get spells that fill multiple functions at once (such as Animalistic Power, above): Lightning Leap from Dragon Magic is much the same: you can either use it as a dimension door effect or as a lightning bolt effect.

Also try Reserve Feats, particularly the ones that make your weapons more effective (there's one that makes your weapons covered in a force effect, making them effective versus incorporeal creatures, for instance).