PDA

View Full Version : Contest Ideas

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Grey Watcher
2005-08-08, 11:09 PM
My personal peeve with the current contest was that it was nearly all fluff. I admit I like crunch.

Well, you're in luck, because, among the moderators, we've all been saying that, since the City was so fluffy, we're about due for a crunchy contest.

jdrich
2005-08-08, 11:58 PM
Crunchy contest, yeah!

My personal vote: Most obscene use of the d12!

Of course I'm sure there'd be plenty of picture submissions.

Arakano
2005-08-09, 02:24 PM
Oh man, but I love to write fluff! :'(

On the other hand, I might actually be able to read all other entries next time. Hell, I might even be able to actually vote! ;D

Cantankerous
2005-08-09, 02:43 PM
Well, you're in luck, because, among the moderators, we've all been saying that, since the City was so fluffy, we're about due for a crunchy contest/

Neat. *Can't wait.

Lysander
2005-08-10, 01:08 AM
How about a contest for permanent enchantments to put on PCs. Not something any player could cast themself but something that would affect them as a result of their actions, as a result of angering a deity or absorbing the powers of an ancient gem they pick up etc. The idea would be to single out and differentiate one of your players for good, ill, or something in between because of an action that set them apart from the others.

Possible categories:
Best Mixed Blessing
Most Awesome Buff
Coolest Curse
Best Unreliable Buff/Power
Strangest Effect
Most Interesting Change in Gameplay/Group Dynamic

and of course "Most Likely To Be Used in a Campaign"

Everyman
2005-08-10, 01:52 AM
I have a suggestion for the future (the way, way future). During the March/April period, we could have the funniest ______ contest (for April Fools).
Possible awards would be given to according to what you typed:
Best PrC
Best Feats
Best Spells
Best Equipment
Best Magic Item
Best City
Etc

The nifty part about the idea is that it allows a person to design what they want. The bad news is that it is a tad complicated (soooooo many categories). In retrospect, it might be better to pick just two or three.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-08-10, 03:58 AM
I think we may already have the next contest figured out - we'll let you know more once the city contest finishes up! :)

Strategia
2005-08-14, 04:29 PM
No idea if this has been put up before (I haven't read the 18(!) pages of this discussion), but:

Best New Class
Best New Race
Best New Political Situation (requires either an existing world or a rough outline of one)

I know I'm demented.

Porter
2005-08-15, 06:45 AM
I would just like to say.... MAGIC ITEM CONTEST!

Starts chanting
Ma-gic I-tem!
Ma-gic I-tem!
Ma-gic I-tem Co--o-o-o-n-test!

The Glyphstone
2005-08-15, 08:12 AM
I would just like to say.... * ALREADY DONE! *;D

Starts chanting
Al-Ready Done! :)
Al-Ready Done! :)
Al-Ready Done! *:)

Al-Rea-dy Doooooonnne!!!!!! :D :D

It was the contest right before the previous contest. See my sig.

The Demented One
2005-08-15, 10:08 AM
Ahem, I'm the demented one here..

Best Template

Best Dungeon

Best Alchemical Item

Best Trap

Best Artifact

Best Organization

Blue_C.
2005-08-15, 01:23 PM
Seeing as we've had two solid DM handy contests, I think we're due for a player oriented contest.
So I like the feat idea. Maybe a chain of feats?

Lilly
2005-08-16, 11:33 PM
Well since it's past the mid-way point in the month, the next contest will start on September 1st. We've decided to do a more crunchy contest, since the last one was quite fluffy. The general idea is: Monsters! And that's all you're getting until September. :P

The_Stoney_One
2005-08-18, 04:40 PM
suggestion for monsters:

best symbiote!

Sucros
2005-08-18, 05:56 PM
Well since it's past the mid-way point in the month, the next contest will start on September 1st. We've decided to do a more crunchy contest, since the last one was quite fluffy. The general idea is: Monsters! And that's all you're getting until September. :P

Sweet. My player's have memorized Monster Manuals 1-3, and I'm always looking for new, interesting monsters to surprise them with.

The Glyphstone
2005-08-18, 06:00 PM
Hehehehehahaha....monsters...oh, this is going to be so much fun....

Screenname Monster?
Monster By Type?
Best CR-x Monster?
Monster ABC's (only 26 entries allowed!)

The possibilities are endless!

Peregrine
2005-08-19, 06:31 AM
Screenname Monster?
Yes, it's not like you have one you prepared earlier (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1111096539 ;start=15#15) for that category, hey? :P

Can't wait to see what the details are...

The Glyphstone
2005-08-19, 06:54 AM
Hehe..I completely forgot about that. Well, that saves me some work at least! ;D

Everyman
2005-08-19, 10:10 PM
Monsters. Y...you're seriously going to let people like me and Glyph here design MONSTERS?
Ha. Haha. Hahahe.
Hehe.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
*Lightning flashes*

Oh man, oh man. This'll be sweet. ;D

Frojoe21
2005-08-20, 02:51 PM
Best Race, Best Adventure (Would take quite some time), Best core class, there are tones.

How about a Variant contest?

bingo_bob
2005-08-20, 10:17 PM
Hmm, I think I'll join in on the next contest, I was considering doing city, but then 27 other cities cropped up, and I realized I was doomed.

Oh, and if it IS screenname monsters, you can expect to fear the dreaded Bing Obob... ;D

Jibar
2005-08-28, 09:31 AM
Screenname monsters? I'd join in with that'n,
Jibar, a half shocker lizard, half drow, 100% PURE EVIL! MWUHAHAHHAHA!

With a side order of viengar too... ::)

Thayan
2005-08-28, 09:54 PM
Screen name Monster I cant enter (Mine is technicly already created and owned by WOTC)...:)

The Glyphstone
2005-08-29, 07:37 AM
Alter your screenname. PokeThe??? does it about once every two weeks.

Lilly
2005-08-29, 02:17 PM
Where did anyone say it was a screen name monster contest? I know I didn't.

Sucros
2005-08-29, 02:28 PM
"monsters" was given. Screenname was just conjecture.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-08-31, 06:58 PM
Nice. Monsters are my speciality... 8)

Frojoe21
2005-09-01, 12:16 AM
Screen name monsters would be a good idea. I got a couple ideas for my sn beast.

Lilly
2005-09-01, 12:22 AM
Still not screen name monsters...

Sucros
2005-09-01, 12:54 PM
Good, because "Sucros" isn't helping inspire any ideas.

The Glyphstone
2005-09-01, 01:19 PM
"Sucros"...hmm, isn't that a type of sugar? You could do an undead monster that steals the sugars from its victims - The Atkinzombie. ;D

Everyman
2005-09-01, 11:16 PM
"Just a spoonGHOUL of sugar helps the medicine go down!"

On a more serious note, I'm looking forward to our new contest. Monsters...hehe.

Sucros
2005-09-02, 12:25 AM
"Sucros"...hmm, isn't that a type of sugar? You could do an undead monster that steals the sugars from its victims - The Atkinzombie. ;D

That beats my idea: a monster able to go into a haste state, then become fatigued and gain a size category :P

jack-skelington-
2005-09-06, 03:22 PM
1:highest amount of damage done in a round?
(no magic items)

Adghar
2005-09-25, 02:36 AM
With the growing population of OotSers, the number of contests to read/vote on is getting rather large. I think maybe we should have a split up contest area so that lazy people might only have half the entries to read through if they want to vote.

EvilDave
2005-09-28, 04:14 PM
Are there any thoughts on the next contest? The end of the month if fast approaching and there have been few posts on this thread recently.

The last few comments seemed to be related to a prestige class or NPC, both of which I would be interested in doing, and some suggestions from Gorbash which would be cool, especially the Fighter Feat Chain (I, as a chain-wielding Spellsword, would have a distinct interest in the results of that one, were it to happen).

I'd try to get an entry in for any of the those three, but are there any other ideas?

Premier
2005-09-29, 05:13 PM
Actually, I personally would rather not see any of those topics as the next one. This current competition is rather crunch-heavy, so the next one should be a fluff-oriented one - just like THIS one got to be crunch heavy exactly to provide a change from the one before.

sacreddeamon
2005-09-29, 06:00 PM
Hrm, well, I have two ideas.

As a crunch heavy, how about a low level dungeon? Nothing major, a few rooms, treasures, and monsters.

As a fluff heavy, how about a small town, campaign setting, or God? Making your own God would be fun, give it the domains and such, and you woudlnt need to include the divine stuff (only if you wanted to)

Premier
2005-09-30, 09:00 AM
Well, the last competition was Make Your Own City, which is pretty similar to a town competition. And shortly before that, we had an unofficial Design Your Own Pantheon thing, so that's also been done recently.

Campaign setting is an interesting theme, but only if the competitors can find the balance between quality and quantity.

LeifVignirsson
2005-09-30, 04:54 PM
Well, maybe not in the vein fo create-your-own-town but how about creating a guild? Not like a Thieves guild or anything but like a wizard's school, a clandestine clerical order, etc?

bingo_bob
2005-09-30, 06:22 PM
or God? Making your own God would be fun, give it the domains and such, and you woudlnt need to include the divine stuff (only if you wanted to)

Bleh. That wouldn't go so well, considering GiantITP is home of the Ever Dream, where there are TONS of gods. It would just be too easy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-09-30, 06:45 PM
Since its going into October and all, how about we have to write a ghost/horror story of some kind? Or maybe an extremely scarey scenario (not like throwing a demon at a 1st level part, but frightening, nerve gripping).

Adghar
2005-10-02, 10:18 PM
With the growing population of OotSers, the number of contests to read/vote on is getting rather large. I think maybe we should have a split up contest area so that lazy people might only have half the entries to read through if they want to vote.

No one likes my idea? :'(

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-10-03, 01:29 AM
Actually, I don't follow what you're suggesting... the VOTE threads list all the qualifying entries, and we want everyone to read all of them before voting in a particular contest. This already cuts out the non-qualfying threads, which lowers the number in and of itself.

Could you clarify what you're suggesting we do?

McDeath
2005-10-03, 06:45 PM
BBEG creation contest? Secret society creation? I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Snommelp
2005-10-03, 09:40 PM
BBEG, or in that same vein, Final Encounter. After all, most BBEGs like to have minions hanging around, and it would make sense to stat those out, too.

Adghar
2005-10-04, 10:39 PM
Actually, I don't follow what you're suggesting... the VOTE threads list all the qualifying entries, and we want everyone to read all of them before voting in a particular contest. This already cuts out the non-qualfying threads, which lowers the number in and of itself.

Could you clarify what you're suggesting we do?

I was thinking something like two contests at a time and people could only participate in one at once. This is so that voters only have to read through half the entries before voting. It would also give people other than The_Glyphstone a chance. :P

But then I see why it would be bad.

The Glyphstone
2005-10-05, 06:35 PM
Yeah, because then I can't play in both of them!

And it would be a lot more work for the mods...

Hydro
2005-10-06, 12:06 AM
I don't want to spoil my monster idea by rushing him; nevertheless, he will see the light of day eventually. Some day.

Just like the panthion that I never submitted later received a full write-up and became the panthion for the single best d&d campeign I have ever run, and the magic item set that I never submitted isn't far from developing into a full-blown adventure that I may even send to Dragon. ^_^()

Nevertheless, my own continued failure to participate in these wonderful contests is starting to annoy me.

Moving on to more constructive things, an npc design contest is my current favorite idea. Provided that the contest was geared towards usefulness, as the others have been, that is: "Best Villian", "Best Henchman", "Best Friend/Contact" and perhaps even "Best Hero/Ally" would all be great award criteria.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-10-06, 12:48 PM
We're pretty sure we have the idea for the next contest ready, and it should be a bit of a surprise.

As for running multiple contests at the same time... the logistics of that are nigh impossible, and I don't think it would really solve the problem, plus it would create a whole bunch of other problems to deal with. So, I'm going to say no.

Premier
2005-10-06, 04:34 PM
We're pretty sure we have the idea for the next contest ready, and it should be a bit of a surprise.

I'm willing to bet the next competition will be "Design a group of monsters", i.e. exactly the same thing as this one.

Now THAT would be a surprise!

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-06, 05:23 PM
That'd be fine by me ;D

lost_my_NHL
2005-10-08, 03:30 PM
how about a puzzle room creation contest? Forgive me if its already been done...

Sucros
2005-10-10, 01:57 AM

You have me pleasantly intruigued.

As for running multiple contests at the same time... the logistics of that are nigh impossible, and I don't think it would really solve the problem, plus it would create a whole bunch of other problems to deal with. *So, I'm going to say no.

I concur.

Sacrath
2005-10-11, 08:45 AM
Has anyone suggested a Create a Monster Lair yet? There might be a problem with those unable to create pictures (but most people have paint and imageshack). Then the problem comes with those unable to create good pictures. It would be a combination of many of the previous contests, if we include a small village or town to be terrorized and create an interesting horde.

Vaynor
2005-10-14, 11:24 AM
Or maybe "Create-A-Trap", if that hasn't been done before.

heretic
2005-10-19, 05:36 PM
I still say an organization contest would be great, although I'm willing to bet that over half of them would just be thieve's and assassin's guilds.

Xick
2005-10-19, 06:05 PM
I think it would be a cool contest if the GIant made a comic with empty word bubbles. and we feel in the blanks and vote on who had the funniest comic.

that would be pretty cool

Sucros
2005-10-19, 07:14 PM
That's not a bad idea! There'd be SO many entries :P

LordMiritar
2005-10-19, 08:39 PM
I LOVE Xick's idea! In fact, if one of the more art-inclined mods, or anyone for that matter, ould make the comic in case the Giant is too busy.

I would SO join that contest. The only problem I see is that people would copy off of each other. The only way to rectify that would be for the contestants to PM their strips, and then the mods will only reveal them at the end of the contest for us all to vote on!

heretic
2005-10-20, 09:46 AM
That would be SUCH a sweet contest. Great idea, Xick! :D

sHorTdWaRvE
2005-10-20, 05:37 PM
a story thing were u can make ur own storys and xick awesome idea.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-20, 07:47 PM
Heyas, if I ran a small monster making contest for creepy creatures that ends on midnight, Halloween night, would anyone be interested?

Peace_Keeper
2005-10-21, 07:48 AM
yah I would

Hydro
2005-10-21, 06:49 PM
Sounds like fun Tribble. As long as it is a solitary creature rather than monster set contest (we don't want a rehash of last contest).

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-21, 06:58 PM
Aye, just a single monster.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-10-21, 07:16 PM
As previously stated, we're trying to stick to official contests only in this section of the torum. Sorry.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-21, 07:44 PM
I'd have it over on the Gaming forum, no worries.

sHorTdWaRvE
2005-10-21, 07:45 PM
a oots contest who can make the best oot out of a movie like star wars or star trek or somethin shrek

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-10-24, 07:19 PM
Alright, have the page up. Heres a link:

Nothing to fear but fear itself... (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1130195431 )

heretic
2005-10-27, 05:48 PM
Any word from you mod types about a date to expect the next contest on?

(Yeah, yeah maybe its a little soon, but hey. :P)

Hydro
2005-11-02, 02:37 AM
For anyone who is interested, VT's contest is up and voting has begun: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1130195431

There was a pretty good turnout I'd say.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-11-02, 12:19 PM
How about create your own template like alternatives to lich or lyctharope templates.

Snommelp
2005-11-02, 08:36 PM
Has there been a player race contest yet? Because that could be fun. Challenging, but fun.

Phasm
2005-11-03, 01:21 AM
Is there a list anywhere of "Things We've Already Done (So Don't Bother Asking)?" I only joined a couple months ago, so I'm not really sure.

Have creatively cursed/drawbacked items already been done? Alchemical items? (Great for the antimagic/low-magic crowd!) Utility spells? (Not offense and not defense, but useful in other ways.)

Oeryn
2005-11-04, 12:48 PM
What about gnomish inventions? Could get pretty wacky...

Adghar
2005-11-05, 04:25 PM
Utility spells? (Not offense and not defense, but useful in other ways.)
I think so. I know there was a magic contest and it had a theme. One person did a soap bubble spell.

Rykounagin
2005-11-07, 07:54 PM
Design your own plane or a locatation uopn a major plane (a city on one of the levels of the Abyss for example).

Vaynor
2005-11-09, 01:57 AM
So, any news on the date of the new contest?

Premier
2005-11-09, 06:50 AM
Design your own plane or a locatation uopn a major plane (a city on one of the levels of the Abyss for example).

Last but one competition was to create a city, so that wouldn't work. Still, a Plane- or Demiplane-competition might be interesting.

BigT
2005-11-09, 11:48 AM
How about creating a single location, such as a house, druid grove, ruin or bridge?

Complete with a theme and style.

(Not a complete dungeon of course)

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-11-13, 01:27 AM
Hey folks, sorry to leave everyone hanging. Things have been busy in mod land, so no one was available to handle a contest this month. However, I will at the very least clear my own schedule for one in December. Expect to see the new Contest on December 1st.

To give people some previews... this one includes an art component! But don't worry, we'll have categories for the less artistically inclined as well...

Lysander
2005-11-13, 02:58 AM
Man, I hope the art category is "Best MS Paint Transparent Cube Line Drawing". I could totally rock at that.

heretic
2005-11-13, 02:19 PM
Crap...my drawing skill extends to that of an intoxicated small animal during a seizure.

The Glyphstone
2005-11-13, 02:58 PM
Better than mine...in my case, said intoxicated animal having a seizure is also blind and a quadruple amputee... :)

Ragnarok
2005-11-13, 03:49 PM
Better than mine...in my case, said intoxicated animal having a seizure is also blind and a quadruple amputee.

I dream of being able to draw as well as an intoxicated blind animal in the midst of a seizure shortly after having four amputations...

triffid
2005-11-13, 07:07 PM
I, on the other hand, await with bated breath. ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-13, 07:46 PM
Heh, I'm about the only one in my family who doesn't draw. But then again I'm the only writer so it balances out... do we gotta wait till next month though? surely we can have submissions in by December ;)

Edit: Btw, don't winners of the former contests get to have a little thing below their nick saying they were a contest winner?

Just askin', mean nothing by it ;D

Sucros
2005-11-14, 03:31 AM
I'm so running for "showed the most courage putting his terrible art up"

El_Zoof
2005-11-14, 09:03 AM
How about "Prestige Classes for Commoners"?

Spells for monks?

Ways to make half-elves cool?

Okay, that last one would be far too difficult. Sorry.

Taliesin
2005-11-14, 09:25 AM
Phenomenas?

Premier
2005-11-14, 05:44 PM
Edit: Btw, don't winners of the former contests get to have a little thing below their nick saying they were a contest winner?

Just askin', mean nothing by it ;D

I won the one before this, and didn't get any, so YOU shouldn't get any, either. ;D

The love from the crowds should be reward enough.

The Glyphstone
2005-11-14, 08:47 PM
<glances left>

<glances right>

<eyes custom title>

Really, the only way to get a special title is to pester the mods. That's what I did. ;D

Snommelp
2005-11-16, 01:09 AM
Hey folks, sorry to leave everyone hanging. *Things have been busy in mod land, so no one was available to handle a contest this month. *However, I will at the very least clear my own schedule for one in December. *Expect to see the new Contest on December 1st.

To give people some previews... this one includes an art component! *But don't worry, we'll have categories for the less artistically inclined as well...
Art component, eh? I hope it's landscapes; I can do decent landscapes.

I also have... connections... who can help me with other art.

Sacrath
2005-11-16, 03:26 PM
Ah the corruption begins.

EvilDave
2005-11-16, 04:42 PM
This will be... interesting... to say the least.

I'll probably make an attempt at this one, but all I really hope for is to come away from reviewing the other entries without going temporarily blind.

Edit: In all fairness, anything that I submit may very well cause similarly detrimental effects.

Gefangnis
2005-11-17, 11:00 PM
I like the idea of designing a prestige class, but that wouldn't be likely to contain an art component, would it?

Ragnarok
2005-11-19, 10:14 PM
Just theoretically, you could have to draw a picture of the typical member of the presige class.

Snommelp
2005-11-20, 04:34 PM
Maybe it's "create a new OOTS character"

gaymer_seattle
2005-11-21, 04:14 PM
yay. i'll get to put my $36,000 degree to work for me for once

Bloodred
2005-11-24, 03:13 AM
A good contest ideal would be "create a diety" contest.

Premier
2005-11-24, 09:50 AM
Already had an unofficial "Create a pantheon" contest a while back.

Trisk
2005-11-24, 06:23 PM
Perhaps the best contest idea contest

Ragnarok
2005-11-27, 05:41 PM
Only 4 days until the next contest begins! :D

heretic
2005-11-28, 11:09 AM
3 days 'til the contest...

The Glyphstone
2005-11-29, 06:57 AM
2 day 'till the contest...

Samiam303
2005-11-29, 11:50 AM
Tomorrow there'll be one day till the contest... ;D :P

Bears With Lasers
2005-11-29, 12:27 PM
Hmm, I hope the contest isn't TOO centered around artwork, and hopefully there will be one category for no artwork entries... but then again no one is forcing us to compete so it really doesn't matter.

Will Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/similar program creations be allowed?

And in two days, hopefully the spamming will stop. :P

heretic
2005-11-29, 07:31 PM
It's more anticipation and boredom than spamming. I hope the mods took the idea of designing a new OotS party member, although it has less to do with gaming...but hey, we'll run out of ideas unless we branch out.

Everyman
2005-11-30, 12:34 AM
I doubt they'll make a "You make the OotS member" contest. That's kind of Rich's domain. Even if we do make "OotS" entries, what would be the difference between them and normal D&D character profiles?

What I want to see is a PrC contest again. Please let there be SOMETHING like that sometime soon.

Phasm
2005-11-30, 01:25 AM
::scans thread:: Art component? Well... creampuffs. :P I suck at drawing, unless you count the ridiculously misproportioned cartoon figures I draw of people's tabletop characters when I get bored with rulemongering. I await the non-art component with bated breath, and hope it's a PrC or cursed item! I've made both of those... several, in the case of cursed items, but one in particular (which I haven't posted) is the best IMO. Ooh, or maybe a relic... I've got one of those too... or minor wondrous item... or alchemical item...

Yeah, I'm all about the gear. What can I say, it's fun! :D

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-12-01, 09:41 AM
0-days left! It's today! But... it's not here...

Oh woe, oh lack, oh the humanity! They have led us like the fools we are with their twisted words!

*weeps weakly*

::)

Sacrath
2005-12-01, 10:43 AM
7:30 doth not a December 1st update make. I am sure that they will post the contest some time today. But not first thing in the morning.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-12-01, 11:16 AM
(Pssst, poking fun at all of y'all who have been counting down)

Sucros
2005-12-01, 05:09 PM
Make fun all you want, I actually thought last night, "hey, it 12:00, technically december 1st! MAybe the contest is up!"

But I've been locked in my room for the past week with bad bronchitis, so I'm allowed to be a bit crazed.

heretic
2005-12-01, 05:44 PM
*Glances at date, yelps and hurriedly navigates to Contests forum, looks about and curses*

It will happen sometime today, and I'll be ready...

Bloodred
2005-12-01, 06:05 PM
Its nice to know im not the only one with nothing better to do but sit around and wait for the next contest.

Ragnarok
2005-12-01, 07:21 PM
Same here.

And assuming EST, the contest officials are cutting it rather close.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-12-01, 08:35 PM
Contest Update
I'm currently typing up the rules & info for the new contest - I had these prepared earlier, but the file got corrupted. The contest will be up soon.

Also, so no one is worrying about having less time to do an entry, because I'm traveling over the holidays, the deadline will actually be a few days into January, rather than December 31.

Sucros
2005-12-10, 03:18 PM
I know the next contest is a while away, but I'd like to suggest a "Planar location". Could be a demi-plane, could be a small layer of a different plane, could be an island within the astral plane. I think there'd be lots of room for creativity.

Skyserpent
2005-12-28, 11:12 AM
Most Convoluted rationalization of an evil act by a Paladin

most attractive, yet REALISTIC tavern

pluckiest minion

most complicated magic device

Coolest God contest with a section for each piece to make a full Pantheon

best command word for a magic item

PandaGaki
2006-01-03, 03:45 AM
Ideas:

1. Design a villain using Rich's Workshop. (probably already done)
2. Design 2 npc's that have a common element or theme and also a completely different/opposite element or theme.
3. Design a ECL 3-5 encounter (monster, trap, riddle)
4. Design a party of npc's that can be used as advisaries or allies.

all with optional artwork, better not make it required imho

Aranamarunda
2006-01-03, 10:08 AM
Design a beast from the outer planes.

First post ever, guess I am going to search for the introduction thread now :D I'll be making a stick figure shortly.

Silverwings
2006-01-07, 04:11 PM
This came up after seeing The_Vorpal_Tribble's troubles with the Character Design contest. He wanted to designthe character and have an artist illustrate him. This was originally approved (or hinted at), but later deemed illegal.

So, how about a contest where such collaborative effort is encouraged rather than forbidden? Professional D&D products are team efforts (like the game itself), so this is a great opportunity to get some polished work out there. Prizes may be retooled from the norm to accomodate such a team effort, but that's no big deal.

I think the minor difficulties involved in letting teamwork into the contests will be far offset by the higher quality that often comes from cooperative work.

Hydro
2006-01-07, 07:35 PM
I think Silverwings might be on to something. I don't know if others agree, or if it would be practical, but it sounds to me like that would be a lot of fun.

Skyserpent
2006-01-12, 02:29 AM
Cool, but I think that solo work should still be allowed

Silverwings
2006-01-12, 11:22 AM
Well, of course. It's just another option to allow for a broader spectrum of responses, and to encourage a different sort of work. I just think that we're missing out because of the limitation to solo work. I wouldn't want to be limited to team entries either.

Everyman
2006-01-12, 01:49 PM
I'd like to second the previously mentioned tavern idea (most realistic, I believe). In addition, I'd like to add the following:
* Most original shop (including owner, goods sold, and structure)
* Best PrC (I know its been done, but I'd love to see it again)
* Most unusual spells (including a theme, appropriate levels and components, and names)

heretic
2006-01-15, 06:40 PM
I'd like to second the previously mentioned tavern idea

I third it.

I also like the encounter idea, although it shouldn't be limited in the EL spectrum.

Vaynor
2006-01-15, 07:32 PM
Maybe a new Class contest, positive its been done before, but why not do it again?

Or if no one can think of an idea, we'll have a Contest Idea Contest, to see what the next contest will be. :P

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-01-16, 03:24 AM
The next contest - which has not yet been chosen - should be in February (and probably part of early March so there's a bit more time for people to prepare entries).

Skyserpent
2006-01-16, 03:25 AM
Whee! people like my idea! ;D

Thrune
2006-01-17, 11:41 PM
Here's an idea, I haven't read the thread so I"m not sure if it's been posted before: Themed monster creation. Design the best Ooze would be challenging, Design the best Dragon or Outsider... well, how original you could get would be interesting.

Everyman
2006-01-17, 11:49 PM
We actually just did that. Twas the contest right before the Portrait one. ;D

Check page numba 2.

heretic
2006-01-18, 11:08 AM
I think Silanas is saying all the entries would be Dragons or what have you. The last one was a series of monsters that had to be related, but each contestant could choose what their monsters were. The idea is good, but it should wait a little to put the last monster contest in the past.

Everyman
2006-01-18, 02:28 PM
Ah...well, then I'm just silly for misunderstanding. ;)

Archon-Blade
2006-01-18, 11:11 PM
Here's one:

Create the best character (PC or NPC) that qualifies as "hopeless". Standard stat increases are allowed, even if they make the character no longer hopeless. (eg. a character that raises a stat at lvl 4, 8, and 12 and thus is no longer "hopeless")

Another:

Best intellegent magical item. Rewards for best new power, best background story, and most powerful item. Catagories for minor, medium and major magic items and artifacts.

Silverwings
2006-01-19, 11:58 AM
As in, sentient magical items? That sounds pretty cool, actually. It's a blend of character creation and item creation, with some room for some pretty unique ideas.

Great idea!

Viking
2006-01-19, 05:37 PM
I am also in favour of team-entries, where one person writes all the stats, backstory, etc., and the other illustrates.

I think a good contest idea would be to design a nasty encounter, full of tricks and treachery, one where the reader goes, "Ooh, that's evil!"

It's where DMs can truly shine as being not on the players' side!

Samiam303
2006-01-19, 08:22 PM
I liked the earlier suggetion of 'Best Planar Location'. We could have catergories such as 'Best Evil Lair', 'Best Vacation Spot', Etc... ;D ::)

Vaynor
2006-01-19, 11:55 PM
I am also in favour of team-entries, where one person writes all the stats, backstory, etc., and the other illustrates.

I would like to second that idea, I am good (at least I think I am) at making characters, but not good at drawing. This would give people like me a chance at the contest.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-20, 11:34 AM
I like the idea of a tavern, but got another one. How about an enemy stronghold? The location of the world's toughest BBEG.

Could have various things to vote for like:

#1. Best BBEG
#2. Best backstory to the stronghold
#3. Most imaginative stronghold

And if the stronghold was to be big enough, could have multiple levels of challenge that could also be voted on.

Sneak
2006-01-20, 11:23 PM
I third (?) the team idea. I would be more than happy to illustrate for someone or just generally help out, as I am incapable of creating any DnD related things (don't play). Well, I tried the city one, but still. Despite this inability, I would like to take part in a contest, soooo...please?

The Demented One
2006-01-22, 09:59 PM
-Best Weapon of Legacy (Not likely, since it requires the book, but I just wanted to put this one out there.)
-Best Racial Substituion Levels
-Best Subrace
-Best Humorous Creation
-Best Cursed Item
-Best Adaptation of a Literary Element
-Best Fluff for Pre-existing Crunch
-Best Secret Society

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-24, 06:25 PM
(Not likely, since it requires the book, but I just wanted to put this one out there.)
Why not, the last contest required you be an artist. Probably more on these boards with he book than that particular skill ::)

Vaynor
2006-01-24, 11:54 PM
Well, I'm a crappy artist and I don't have that book, not too well off here really.

Hydro
2006-01-25, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure about an art/writing contest, since we just did one.

That doesn't rule out a contest centered around teamwork, though. Virtually any contest requiring large-scale projects, such as the villian lair or even tavern idea, would work.

El_Zoof
2006-01-26, 11:03 PM
Design an entire adventure with at least three locations and 2 NPCs in exactly 100 words. No art, because pictures are worth 1000 words and would exceed the limit...

Skyserpent
2006-01-26, 11:54 PM
3 locations and only 2 NPCs? Absurd!

but actually I like it... may use a little more hashing out but neat!

White Blade
2006-01-27, 02:21 AM
Why not, the last contest required you be an artist. Probably more on these boards with he book than that particular skill * ::)
Regretfully he is right. I got really ripped off for that book. I was being STOOPID!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-01-27, 02:59 PM
Regretfully he is right. I got really ripped off for that book. I was being STOOPID!
I have to say, that of all the books, that'd probably be the last one I'd get, aside from maybe the Spell Compendium.

Heroes of Horror and Stormwrack are what I'm wanting... and in intense anticipation for Complete Psionics (gaaah, the cover... grrrrr) and the MM IV 8)

Phasm
2006-01-27, 08:45 PM
Hey, I'm no artist, and I did fairly well in the last contest! ;D I'm all up for a location-based contest. If it's a micro-location (tavern, lair, etc.) though, a grid map should be part of the entry requirements. I mean, this IS a tabletop gaming site, yes? Macro-locations (plane, city) could just have a general sort of map.

And yeah, I'm with you VT. Weapons of Legacy is one of those "why the flippin' heck would I spend $40 on that?" releases. Complete Arcane and Sandstorm, now... :D (Of course, I'm a bit biased toward desert campaign environments since I grew up in one. To me, a lush green landscape looks weird.)

White Blade
2006-01-28, 12:32 AM
I would like to request that the next contest has no map or portrait requirements on behalf of those who do not have scanners and good drawing programs or skill in drawing and girding. Myself qualifying for all of these.

Viking
2006-01-28, 01:40 AM
Design an entire adventure with at least three locations and *2 NPCs in exactly 100 words. No art, because pictures are worth 1000 words and would exceed the limit...

Design an adventure with art/graphics in at least 1,000 words, since it will take that many to measure up.

Dr._Kaboom
2006-01-28, 07:33 PM
I'm afraid you lose me there. Art/graphics and 1000 words, art/graphics OR 1000 words, 2 guys, a girl and a pizza place, how will this go? I liked the minimal 100-word idea, myself, since I'm roughly a billion times better with fewer words than with more.

Hydro
2006-01-30, 11:48 PM
That post was 49 words.

100 words is not a lot of words.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-02-01, 03:21 PM
*awaits January's contest*

Sneak
2006-02-01, 05:05 PM
January's? January, AGAIN!? Egads!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-02-01, 07:36 PM
I think the ship has officially sailed on a January contest ;)

But we should have something for Feb/March soon! (The contest would have run a bit into March regardless, as February is short). Stay tuned!

heretic
2006-02-01, 11:02 PM
*awaits January's contest*

Boy are we in a different time zone! ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-02-02, 01:30 PM
I have the flu. My timezones change from moment to moment currently ::)

tape_measure
2006-02-03, 11:10 PM
oh the antici-
pation is killer

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-02-05, 05:00 PM
Hey, no AP in the Contest Ideas thread! >:(

Kidding ;)

Anyways, there should be a new contest Monday or Tuesday.

Aranamarunda
2006-02-06, 06:57 AM
Shouldn't the new contest have started by now?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-02-06, 07:37 PM
The contests have no real strict time when they start or are judged generally, just when those hosting it have the time for it.

nows7
2006-02-08, 01:59 AM
For Febuary's short month, how about we have a short contest, Something quick and not to labor intensive?

I'd say the 100 word adventure is a decent idea, the challenge is in getting the most content into the fewest words.

Or

Single entry for a wordplay. Catagorys include:
Best monster (Kiwi fruit/bird, these CR1/2 birds attack by spitting small black seads and are often hunted for their tender sweet green meat.)

Best feat/ability (razor sharp wit, make an preform(oratory) check, if it beats the target's AC you deal 1d3 damage + 1/2 cha)

Best spell (Ray of Frost, You summon a guy named Ray from his home town of Frost)

Most funny
Must usable in a serious game

White Blade
2006-02-08, 11:02 AM
For Febuary's short month, how about we have a short contest, Something quick and not to labor intensive? *

I'd say the 100 word adventure is a decent idea, the challenge is in getting the most content into the fewest words.
You wanna know how that would look?

You enter the dungeon, the room is 100' feet round, there are three goblins.... and you get the idea.

El_Zoof
2006-02-08, 07:10 PM
Oh, come now - 100 words for an adventure wouldn't be that hard.

Encounter 1 - Bob's Farm
Bob(HUM COM 1) has a problem - his prize pig's eyes are glowing red and it's speaking in tongues. Deal with the problem and he'll give you a strange jug he found.
Treasure: Decanter of Endless Water

Encounter 2 - the Piggery(Enc Level 2)
Basil the Boar(Fiendish Dire Boar) ate some really bad food, and wants to eat something else - you. Basil's tactics are: If it's not moving, eat it, if it is, gore it and then eat it. Treat the floor as permanently affected by a “grease” spell – fiendish pig poop is bad news.

There you go - exactly 100 words... and this is probably the wrong place to put it. Sorry if so.

PandaGaki
2006-02-09, 03:50 AM
I do not call that an adventure, I call that an encounter. A well developed encounter none the less

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-02-09, 05:55 AM
I apologize for the continued lateness of the contest; I'm the only one really available to run one this month but I currently have a nasty cold/ear infection that's making things a might bit difficult for me.

I should hopefully have something for you by Sunday evening.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-02-09, 08:46 AM
I apologize for the continued lateness of the contest; I'm the only one really available to run one this month but I currently have a nasty cold/ear infection that's making things a might bit difficult for me.
I've had that for over three weeks now... I'm beginning to wonder if it actually is a cold. First time I've had a ear infection my entire life.

Aranamarunda
2006-02-09, 04:48 PM
So... Uhm... Are we going with the gijsstrider thing :D

Everyman
2006-02-09, 10:39 PM
No. Besides being an unofficial contest (only staff may run these), there are no real constraints or rules listed. In fact, the only criteria is "build a prestige class", which won't work on its own.

I've let Gorby know to move it. We're just going to have to be patient.

For now....BWAHAHAHA

El_Zoof
2006-02-10, 02:08 AM
I do not call that an adventure, I call that an encounter. A well developed encounter none the less

You're right, of course. My apologies. I should have started with "You meet Farmer Bob in a tavern"... :)

PandaGaki
2006-02-10, 06:24 AM
You're right, of course. My apologies. I should have started with "You meet Farmer Bob in a tavern"... :)

Well, that is indeed more like it, now have him be introduced by a wizard and we have ourselves a real genuine adventure ;D

Sneak
2006-02-10, 01:56 PM
Waiting for the next contest...although I probably won't even make an entry, all I'm good at is art. Unless team entries are allowed...

Wukei
2006-02-10, 02:08 PM
Yea, I know how you feel...I loved the art contest..and I'd prefer a team entry due to the fact that I don't do templates well. I feel like I cheated in the last one by making Avi a basic Werebear and just using the template given on the SRD.

lost_my_NHL
2006-02-11, 02:48 PM
maybe something where DM-types make some stats, weapon, class, room, or such, and then Artist-types submit their drawings to some of the DM-type contestants, and the DM-types choose which Artist-type they like best for theirs, and then the winners overall are the best DM + Art combo.

EG, a puzzle room design contest. DMs design the architecture, traps, and puzzles in the room, and then some artists submit to some DMs sketches of the room.

Winners: best overall combo(DM and Artist)
Most original artwork (Art)
Most original room (DM)
Most Playable (DM)
Best visual Depiction (Art)
Silliest Room (DM and Artist)
Best Theme (DM and Artist)
Mod's Pick (DM, Artist, and combo)

P.S. Sneak, is the pin on your avatar the lamda from half-life 2?

Everyman
2006-02-11, 05:03 PM
Well, theoretically we only have one more day to wait. I'm hoping the contest is more design oriented. Of course, this is what I do best.

What would be great is a contest that allows a variety of design work (art, mechanics, flavor, etc) to be united. A group effort would be a lot of fun in that regard. Could you imagine being able to choose two aspects and focus on those? That'd be great.

"You know, my partner's good at art, and I like to design stuff already made, but neither one of us is that great at making up new feats or items. I think we'll just do an art/flavor package".

Awards could be awarded based on...
*Best combo (overall unity between group)
*Best art
*Best flavor
*Best mechanic
*Best use of art and flavor
*Best use of art and mechanic
*Best use of flavor and mechanic
Of course, these awards could be expanded upon depending on what is being designed/used.

Eh...that's my two cents, anyway.

Vaynor
2006-02-11, 05:07 PM
I can't wait until the next contest.

El_Zoof
2006-02-11, 05:45 PM
My two cents? Something like what your suggesting, Tarkhan, would be an absolute *nightmare* to judge. The reason why there are so often very specific guidelines and categories in these sort of competitions is simple - it makes them easier to judge. Otherwise you've got shotputters competing against marathoners. Marathletes. Mara... people who run lots.

Jaime
2006-02-11, 06:02 PM
I was reading Gorbash's contest guidelines, and in the first or second paragraph he compares the contests to Iron Chef. What if, in a future contest, we pitted former contest winners against new designers in a... design-off? It's a master vs. new blood sort of thing, as is the concept of Iron Chef...

And we have to get a panel of judges and someone to be Chairman Kaga! *giggles* I have been watching WAY too much late-night Food Network...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-02-11, 06:42 PM
Hey, I like it Jaime! (the idea and the show ;) )

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-02-11, 06:58 PM
I like it too, but it'll take a bit to set up. Look for it in the future, though.

Vaynor
2006-02-11, 08:24 PM
I was reading Gorbash's contest guidelines, and in the first or second paragraph he compares the contests to Iron Chef. *What if, in a future contest, we pitted former contest winners against new designers in a... design-off? *It's a master vs. new blood sort of thing, as is the concept of Iron Chef...

And we have to get a panel of judges and someone to be Chairman Kaga! *giggles* *I have been watching WAY too much late-night Food Network...

That's a good idea, but yeah, it'll be hard to set up and monitor.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-02-12, 12:54 AM
How about...taking an underpowered or uncool race/class/whatever combo and awesomifying it?

I also really like the team idea!

Everyman
2006-02-12, 02:10 AM
Hmm...well, the problem with that suggestion is that "underpowered" and "uncool" are opinions. I don't think that criteria alone would make for a great contest.

Perhaps if part of the entry included your rational for why said class/race was weak...

nows7
2006-02-12, 12:05 PM
How about a contest to add a sound track to a charicterl? Everyone writes up a N/PC, background mostly, and then chooses who their favorite band or song.

Bob the Half-fiend cleric of the famine. Domains: evil, death.
Favorite artist: Brittney spears.
Least favorite song: "I like big butts" by Sir Mix-a-lot.

ChaotikLawfull
2006-02-12, 12:10 PM
I don't think we are THAT desperate.

Jaime
2006-02-12, 12:16 PM
Och, that was cold.

nows7
2006-02-12, 01:43 PM
Just for you ChaotikLawfull.

Juilius VonTrap: LE female Gnome Bard 5 Virtuoso 10 (compete adventurer)

Juilius VonTrap has become one of the muliverse's most renowned singers. Her preformances have been attended by everything from thre ruleing class of the brass city to the savage orc tribes of the east deserts. This fact has not been lost on her as his ego has grown to epic levels. Storys are told about how she must have the imported water still frozen from the glaciers of the Silver Marchs, and how she will only eat salad from the Dale lands, and must have the cucumber eye wraps from the elven chondelwood. In otherwords she is a Diva (capital D intentional)

The song that best describes her: Opera singer by Cake.
The song that she thinks describes her best: Sexbomb by Tom Jones with Mousse T.

Everyman
2006-02-12, 02:48 PM
Ouch, indeed. *Let's play nice, okay?

nows7, I don't think your contest idea will work for one reason: *not everyone will have access to the music that one may choose. *For example, I don't believe I've ever heard either of your songs before. *This contest could only work if the lyrics or an mp3 file were connected, and that would just clutter the website.

Nice idea, but needs some work.

EDIT:
On another note, I wonder when the contest will be posted. I know Comrade Gorby's recovering from something, so I'm not sure when we are going to get the info.
*Sigh*
Guess we'll have to wait.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-02-12, 03:58 PM
You need not wonder any longer, the Screen Name Tavern Contest is up.

Skyserpent
2006-02-12, 11:40 PM
WHOOO! My Idea! (Sort of) YEAH!

Sneak
2006-02-12, 11:42 PM
I really like this one! Mmmm, fun! :D

Silverwings
2006-02-13, 12:17 PM
" My two cents? Something like what your suggesting, Tarkhan, would be an absolute *nightmare* to judge. The reason why there are so often very specific guidelines and categories in these sort of competitions is simple - it makes them easier to judge. Otherwise you've got shotputters competing against marathoners. Marathletes. Mara... people who run lots."

Yes, that's pretty much the complaint that I've heard. I suggest making it a team effort, and reward the team. That way, it only matters what the team comes up with. Just judge the results, and it's no different in the end; Best art? Award the team with the best art. Same for any other element that you want to judge. It's really not that hard.

Besides, isn't part of the reason for these contests to have people develop new talents? So what if a shotputter has to run a marathon, he develops a new skill, maybe. Maybe he becomes a maraputter... or whatever. ;)

Sneak
2006-02-13, 12:51 PM
Hehe, that would be fun. Sounds like a good idea to me.

But everyone knows I'm all for team efforts.

El_Zoof
2006-02-14, 12:48 AM
Yes, that's pretty much the complaint that I've heard. I suggest making it a team effort, and reward the team. That way, it only matters what the team comes up with. Just judge the results, and it's no different in the end; Best art? Award the team with the best art. Same for any other element that you want to judge. It's really not that hard.

Besides, isn't part of the reason for these contests to have people develop new talents? So what if a shotputter has to run a marathon, he develops a new skill, maybe. Maybe he becomes a maraputter... or whatever. ;)

And that's just it, you've hit my nail on the head twice. If people are only judging the sections they want to judge, then there may be some sections that aren't judged at all, or are judged by very few people. And as for the developing new talents - why would a shotputter try learning how to be a... *sigh* long distance runner when they could just put shots and win that part?

slapdash
2006-02-14, 03:51 PM
I'd like to go ahead and throw in that I think another art contest would be fun...especially since I missed the last one... ;)

Sneak
2006-02-14, 10:19 PM
Mmmm...art... :D

Silverwings
2006-02-15, 12:21 PM

Besides, isn't part of the reason for these contests to have people develop new talents? So what if a shotputter has to run a marathon, he develops a new skill, maybe. Maybe he becomes a maraputter... or whatever. Wink

And that's just it, you've hit my nail on the head twice. If people are only judging the sections they want to judge, then there may be some sections that aren't judged at all, or are judged by very few people. And as for the developing new talents - why would a shotputter try learning how to be a... *sigh* long distance runner when they could just put shots and win that part?

OK, who is doing the judging, then? If it's a community vote... isn't that always the risk? People just voting on the parts they care about? I don't see that being any different from how things are run now. If you're talking about the board Giants/Titans, I'm not sure how that works.

As for developing new talents... that's part of why these contests are held. That's an argument against teams, yes, in a way, because if you can just get someone to do something you can't, you don't have to stretch yourself. That's not the point of working as a team, though. Teamwork is about using your talent to bolster the team, not getting your mage to be a tank. Everyone plays their part, and the team gets things done.

As for judging teams, there could be a simple requirement that a team has to have certain elements, and if they don't, they don't qualify. Pretty simple. Likewise, overall awards would be for the team. No problem there. Category awards could correlate to the required elements.

The greatest risk I see is that one team might win for its art, another might win for its storytelling, but only one (either of those or even another) might win the overall prize. What then? People with their nose out of joint for not winning when they thought they should?

Again, how is that any different from how things are now?

King_Leon
2006-02-21, 02:08 AM
If possible... I think thise would be a fun contest... I call it:
"Surprise!"
Using a weak moster (CR 3 or below,) place feats, classes, templates and magical items that make this monster very tough to defeat. (A classic example is the Monty Python rabbit.)

Oeryn
2006-02-22, 04:00 PM
What about best PbP game on the boards? Lots of different categories, best plot, funniest, etc. You could also have prizes for best PC, best NPC, stuff like that...

Sneak
2006-02-24, 08:17 AM
Hmmm. *Best PbP game might be interesting...only thing is, I wouldn't be able to compete. :(

Renloth
2006-02-24, 11:06 AM
While Best PbP game might be interesting, it doesn't seem to me that it would be very open. I mean, how would those of us that aren't GM's put together something like that?

tape_measure
2006-02-24, 04:13 PM
Well how about making it an annual thing as opposed to only a monthly challenge.

You could even give out some hilariously funny award tied into OOTS.

What with the emmys and grammys and tonys and all that going on these days, I've wondered why The Giant hasnt had something along the lines of those award shows.

by the by; Sneak I love the Minsc and Boo avatar! i laughed for a good 20 minutes at it.

Gmonkey
2006-02-26, 10:16 AM
The only problem I see with a best PBP game, at least if it's by vote would be that most are only familiar with any games they're playing in, and unlike somethhing like the taverns at the moment, is that there is at the very least 20+ pages of reading, a lot well over 50 or 100. That would put a lot of people off doing research into all entries.

tape_measure
2006-02-27, 04:57 PM
yeah...good point. I however would rather look at 50+ pages of different people posting different things (ie thoughts, speech, etc) than 2-3 pages of people blabbering on and on about their character class or in this case tavern ideas. It's not that their not interesting, I just have a short attention sp---

ooh kitty.........

oh, sorry. yeah, Like i was saying, the DM could write a blurb, like on the back of movies, pitching the idea to you, the reader. That way you could choose which you'd be interested in reading. The DM could also aummerize the happenings as to date, Give a breif description of characters, throw in some art here and there (where applicable) and TADA!

I think that would shorten the load on the site it self, too....or at least i think it would, im none too savvy w/ this stuff. it would, however, increase the DM's (participamt's work load, maybe causing some to now joining in)

[/ranting and babbling]

Sneak
2006-02-27, 05:00 PM
The real question is that if there was a PbP game contest, would the entries be in the Contests section or the PbP section?

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-02-27, 11:06 PM
The real question is that if there was a PbP game contest, would the entries be in the Contests section or the PbP section?
PbP, mos def. I (as a current non-PbPer) don't want to be left out because I don't have the time to commit to a game right now.

tape_measure
2006-03-01, 12:07 PM
what about those of us who dont have time to sit down and work up (in this case) a tavern? or best NPC or what have you...

I think I should just keep quiet and see what new contest comes around next time. Just thought I'd put in my opinion. i do really enjoy the contests and cant wait until I have something to add to it all.

Skyserpent
2006-03-01, 01:10 PM
Compose a Bard Song,

No, not like an Elan: "Verb Verb Verb the Preposition/adjective noun!"

more like the Ballad of Taibo on the D&D Website...

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-03-04, 01:41 PM
what about those of us who dont have time to sit down and work up (in this case) a tavern? or best NPC or what have you...

I think I should just keep quiet and see what new contest comes around next time. Just thought I'd put in my opinion. i do really enjoy the contests and cant wait until I have something to add to it all.
Yeah, but the Tavern is idea based. You can think it up yourself. I you wanted to do a contest, but the newest one was the PbP one, there wouldn't be enough time. PbP depends on other people. The chances of everyone having enough time to develop a story (communally, mind you) is ridiculous! Only the people who are in games right now will be able to participate, time be damned.

tape_measure
2006-03-07, 03:57 PM
it was really just in the spirit of all the awards shows goin gon at the moment.

I see your point, there is no way for anyone to come up with a full game in 6 weeks (or however long short of 6 months)

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-03-14, 01:24 PM
So, what's the latest idea?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-14, 02:26 PM
Well, April is when the next contest will be getting started and that is when Complete Psionic is coming out. I'd think it'd be pretty cool if we could have the next entry psionic based somehow.

Yeah, yeah, stop yer screeching. The XPH is accessible via the SRD and so wouldn't be too hard to learn.

Possible Ideas:
New Psionic Monster or Race
Psionic Encounter
Psionic PrC

-=-=-=-=-=-

A second idea would be another monster contest, but all entries would have to be plant-based. Being April/May this is the time where trees begin to go green and flowers bud.

Or maybe we could all design a tree-top city, or jungle village. Something like that.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-03-14, 02:37 PM
I like that idea!

The Glyphstone
2006-03-14, 06:40 PM
Yay Psionics! Finally, a contest that I can really be good at. ;D

But what happens when all the contestants start reading each other's minds and stealing ideas?

Renloth
2006-03-14, 07:33 PM
The voices in my head like this idea...

They keep saying, "Vote for Glyphst..."

Gah! Get out of my head!

The Glyphstone
2006-03-15, 08:02 PM
Here...try these pills I made, they'll help you feel better. ;D

Vote for Glyphstone...Vote for Glyphstone...

gamerthing
2006-03-15, 08:27 PM
Don't do it!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-03-15, 08:54 PM
But what happens when all the contestants start reading each other's minds and stealing ideas?
Instant disqualification! Bwahaha.

Anyways, I'm a sucker for psionics as well, so I can confirm that psionics will be featured in April's contest.

Sneak
2006-03-15, 08:55 PM
Boo-hoo! I won't be able to compete.

Which means I better win something this time. Hint, hint. ::)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-03-15, 08:57 PM
Boo-hoo! I won't be able to compete.
Don't forget that psionics is in the 3.5 SRD, folks.

Sneak
2006-03-15, 09:02 PM
Yeah...but I don't play DnD.

I know, it's sad. :'(

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-03-16, 12:51 AM
Instant disqualification! Bwahaha.

Anyways, I'm a sucker for psionics as well, so I can confirm that psionics will be featured in April's contest.

Whoooo!

Vaynor
2006-03-17, 02:20 AM

OH MY GOD! A BLASPHEMIST! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-03-17, 12:10 PM

Well, you play Baldur's Gate. You might as well learn the real thing, they're so similar.

slapdash
2006-03-17, 01:59 PM
Aw, I got all excited about the plant idea...only to have it dashed on the rocks by psionics! Looks like my first contest will have to wait. ;D

BlueWizard
2006-03-18, 04:43 PM
I tire of having to convert printed games to my world. They should be left open in the first place. My idea is this. Design an adventure. To make it easier to read it should have limited encounters (maybe 15-20, or only so much descriptors ) , a CR level, a hook, ease of adaptability. Old D&D was great at that, my favorite part of D&D was that it could be adapted for anyone's game.

I will put this out again.

Amotis
2006-03-18, 07:59 PM
Cool, psions. Might acutally do a contest now. Hopefully there's a story driven category.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-20, 12:42 AM
*sheds in glee*

Wukei
2006-03-20, 01:25 AM
I tire of having to convert printed games to my world. *They should be left open in the first place. *My idea is this. *Design an adventure. *To make it easier to read it should have limited encounters (maybe 15-20, or only so much descriptors ) , a CR level, a hook, ease of adaptability. *Old D&D was great at that, my favorite part of D&D was that it could be adapted for anyone's game.

I will put this out again.

The point of DnD is that it is versatile.

I only tried running an actual DnD book printed storyline once.

And I'm hating it.

We create small storylines for you to throw your characters into all the time. Even this contest (the inn) has an instance where you have to make a storyline.

The inn I created there was actually from my book, I just threw it on the map of the FR world. It's not that hard to throw your ideas onto the DnD world.

BlueWizard
2006-03-20, 03:18 PM
I agree, sometimes you must eliminate name characters from the story, and be ready to bring in your own back story. My lack of map skill, causes me to sketch out or adapt maps. The adapted maps are always much clearer to my players than my pencil drawings.

Skyserpent
2006-03-22, 02:29 AM
urk... psionics... one area that is not my forte... ah well... better study up... will Complete Psionic be out by then?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-22, 03:11 AM
urk... psionics... one area that is not my forte... ah well... better study up... will Complete Psionic be out by then?
It comes out the 11th of April, so should have an opportunity to look it over before the contest has ended. The SRD has the basic info on psionics from the Expanded Psionics Handbook already though if interested in learning it.

http://srd.pbemnexus.com/psionic.html

I'm also willing to help any who are new to the system. Just send me a message.

Quincunx
2006-03-22, 09:14 AM
Thanks much for the link, Vorpal Tribble. This one is a better introduction than d20sdr.org thanks to it all being on one page. However, I am still missing something blindingly obvious--the point cost per power. I think I'll try retrofitting March from the Quincunx Mission to a psionic class in the meanwhile, for practice.

potatocubed
2006-03-22, 09:52 AM
Ah, psionics... a chance to reintroduce the su-monster - everyone's favourite killer psychic monkey! ;D

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-22, 10:29 AM
Thanks much for the link, However, I am still missing something blindingly obvious--the point cost per power.
Scroll down and look to the left bar. It'll have a link saying 'Powers'. When you click on each individual power it tells how many psionic points it requires.

However, another way is thus:

1st level power = 1 power point
2nd level power = 3 power points
3rd level power = 5 power points
4th level power = 7 power points
5th level power = 9 power points, etc etc

so just keep adding 2 to the power point cost for each additional level. This does not count for possible augmentation, the use of extra power points to make the power more powerful, though.

However, you can never spend more power points on a power than your manifester level. So a 4th level psion cannot spend more than 4 power points on any given power. Which means he can manifest a 2nd level power (which is 3 power points), and augment it with a maximum of 1 power. Or he can manifest a 1st level power (1 power point) and augment it by up to 3 power points.

Sucros
2006-03-22, 02:25 PM
Don't forget that psionics is in the 3.5 SRD, folks.

*does a little dance*

Elvaris
2006-03-25, 12:11 AM
Question: Is there any chance of some of the old contests being recycled for those of us who weren't around at the time?
For example... One of the things I left out of my tavern entry in the interest of keeping it short of sourcebook length ("The Temple of Elemental Tacky?") was the description for my screen name prestige class "Elvaris Impersonator"... Should I just throw it into the thread once it's unlocked or save it for a reincarnation of the old contest? Or both? Just curious.

Blue_C.
2006-03-25, 01:10 AM
You know, I was thinking about doing the same kind of thing for my entry. I think you should definetely post it.

Vaynor
2006-03-30, 09:23 PM
So, when are we getting the new contest?

The Glyphstone
2006-03-30, 09:25 PM
Probably either Saturday (April 1st) or the following weekend.

Vaynor
2006-03-30, 09:31 PM
I hope not April 1st, he'll probably post a contest that's really stupid, then say "April Fools!" just to make us seem stupid. *Or not. :D

King_of_GRiffins
2006-03-30, 10:08 PM
If it starts April 1st, then mybye it will be a humor contest?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-30, 11:15 PM
We already knows its to be a psionic based contest.

Vaynor
2006-03-31, 02:12 AM
If it starts April 1st, then mybye it will be a humor contest?

Maybe? Who knows...

Rei_Jin
2006-04-11, 04:47 AM
Do we know when the new contest is starting? It's already April 11 (In Australia, anyway) and we've heard nothing more than it will be psionics based.

Oh, and we still haven't heard who won the Staff Award for the last contest.

Mods, help?

Thief-Wizard101
2006-04-27, 03:45 PM
chocalte smudge on the screen