PDA

View Full Version : Contest Ideas

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Seconey
2006-05-25, 06:55 PM
How about most balanced/interesting/strongest (without being cheap)/most likely to be used/least likely " " " PC race? (without level adjustment)

I'd bet this has been thought of already, tho (or even used in a contest, haha, prolly one of the first ones).

best nonmagical class? PrC? funniest, most balanced, etc.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-05-28, 07:28 PM
The next one could be a Monster, Monster Class, Creation, Feat or Prestige Contest. That would be fun and would allow people a choice.

terror_drone
2006-06-02, 05:00 AM
Im not sure if its been done before but how about steampunk?

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-06-03, 09:19 AM
Whats steampunk?

Vaynor
2006-06-03, 11:40 AM
Whats steampunk?
Seconded.

terror_drone
2006-06-04, 03:39 AM
Think industrial revolution mixed with destopia and intrique. In other words think ebberon minus the magic.

The Glyphstone
2006-06-19, 12:41 PM
Reference: Iron Kingdoms, by Privateer Press. Probably one of the coolest steampunk settings out there...but then, I play Warmachine, I'm somewhat biased.

Vaynor
2006-06-19, 01:38 PM
Hmm, for contest ideas, maybe a template? That would be fun to make....

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-23, 10:50 AM
Aye, templates are good.

I think my creativity is currently sucked dry. I can't think of a decent suggestion for July.

Rei_Jin
2006-06-23, 11:14 AM
Why not do something different?

The only other thing that gets no love from WoTC in the same way that Psionics misses out?

Epic.

Create a new Epic PrC
Create a new Epic Item
Create a new Epic Spell
Create a new Epic Monster
Create a new epic Feat

Vaynor
2006-06-23, 09:53 PM
Aye, templates are good.

I think my creativity is currently sucked dry. I can't think of a decent suggestion for July.
Yeah, but I like templates, they allow loads of creativity, can be almost anything, and are fun to make!

djnorris_2000
2006-06-27, 07:37 PM
I second the template idea.

Though if people want templates aswell....why not an epic template?

That should actually have read "I second the Epic idea." I only just realised I wrote the wrong first line. :-[

Vaynor
2006-06-27, 08:30 PM
That's way too hard to make, and would be a little too much of a challenge methinks.

InaVegt
2006-06-28, 02:35 PM
Maybe a template contest with a couple categories, with all templates to fit a teme, that could include an epic template, a low level template, mid level, high level and maybe some more.

Vaynor
2006-06-29, 10:54 AM
Maybe a template contest with a couple categories, with all templates to fit a teme, that could include an epic template, a low level template, mid level, high level and maybe some more.
Yeah, just as long as templates are involved. ;)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-06-29, 03:40 PM
I third the Epicness... ;D

Xerillum
2006-06-29, 09:49 PM
fourth it.

The Demented One
2006-06-30, 03:50 PM
Vth it.

AdInfinitum
2006-06-30, 08:36 PM
Oh epic, your time is due....

lost_my_NHL
2006-07-01, 10:43 AM
I like Gezina's idea: categories for low, mid, high, and epic. But I'd also add in there an undead template.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-01, 11:04 AM
Ungh... I'd be willing to do it, but epic levels makes my brain hurt, and I have to use my calculator more than the rulebooks... ::)

Rei_Jin
2006-07-01, 11:12 AM
Well thus far we've got about 5 votes for Epic. Hopefully, that'll point the Mods in the direction we're asking for...

madhatter66
2006-07-01, 02:06 PM
Ooooo, templates are fun. Maybe I could finally sit down and make those "Eternals" templates I've been kicking around. Or I could spazz out and make them epic. Oh, man.... those things would be gross epic.

Okay, me totally [whatever number we're on]ths the notion of low-mid-high-epic templates.

tgva8889
2006-07-02, 12:00 AM
I think templates are cooler than epic stuff, but that's mostly because I've never, ever, seen a single epic game. I find it more fun to watch people make stuff I can use. And I'd like to try my hand at a contest at some point in time.

Brickwall
2006-07-03, 12:52 PM
I hate Epic stuff for the most part, but templates sound fun.

Vaynor
2006-07-03, 03:02 PM
I hate Epic stuff for the most part, but templates sound fun.
Yeah, maybe do an epic one next time, but stick to templates this time 'round.

madhatter66
2006-07-03, 06:53 PM
Well, since there's different categories for each contest, I don't see why an epic template couldn't be included as well.

Joe_Kerr
2006-07-07, 11:26 AM
You could have a contest useing second edition. ;D

The Glyphstone
2006-07-07, 12:43 PM
^Hi, welcome to the boards.

Everyone else: New dude had me really scared for a second...thought the ModImpersonator spammer had returned...

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 01:27 PM
Haha, yeah. Luckily he's not (hopefully). :P

Oh, yeah, welcome to the boards. ;)

Brickwall
2006-07-07, 03:24 PM
You could have a contest useing second edition. ;D

Oh, swell! That would be keen! *slaps Joe_kerr*

Since only a minute fraction of this board owns enough AD&D to even think about working with it, perhaps that's the worst idea in existence.

Joe_Kerr
2006-07-07, 03:30 PM
You kids nowsadays. Don't remember the fundementals. With your "WoTC" and your "prime numbers". Bah. Like THAC0 was hard to understand.

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 03:34 PM
Umm, yeah, it was. Hey, an AD&D contest is fine by me, I own the core and a few more...

I'd just have to refresh myself on the rules. :P

WampaX
2006-07-07, 04:19 PM
Umm, yeah, it was. Hey, an AD&D contest is fine by me, I own the core and a few more...

You file that under "probably not gonna happen."

InaVegt
2006-07-07, 04:23 PM

I'd just have to refresh myself on the rules. :P
Wait, you're fourteen and own second edition AD&D?

Joe_Kerr
2006-07-07, 04:31 PM
Any true fan of D&D should play 2nd edition at least once.

InaVegt
2006-07-07, 04:38 PM
Any true fan of D&D should play 2nd edition at least once.
I tried to get them but they are impossible to get over here, with all those who played it gaurding it like treasure and it not being for sale

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 05:03 PM
Wait, you're fourteen and own second edition AD&D?
Yes. Oh, and Noble Knight (https://www.nobleknight.com/default.asp) sells out of print books (I got all of mine for under ten bucks :O), though the price may be slightly more for oversea shipping. :P

InaVegt
2006-07-07, 05:12 PM
Yes. Oh, and Noble Knight (https://www.nobleknight.com/default.asp) sells out of print books (I got all of mine for under ten bucks :O), though the price may be slightly more for oversea shipping. :P
Yeah, it'll probably be more ((Origins costs about 30 dollars including shipping costs))

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 05:15 PM
Yeah, it'll probably be more ((Origins costs about 30 dollars including shipping costs))
:O
That's a lot, and that sucks. But, they don't cost much anyway, so it's not much difference (if you have something to spare).

InaVegt
2006-07-07, 05:20 PM
:O
That's a lot, and that sucks. But, they don't cost much anyway, so it's not much difference (if you have something to spare).
I tend to spend my money on 3.5 books, even though I played 3.0 I never had any books of it, and I've got the feeling ths thread is getting off topic so:

There appear to be two things people seem to want: Epic and templates, both can have the other as a category and both appeal to me (though templates more than epic)

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I think templates with an allowed epic would be easier, since many people find epic too confusing/hard. It would allow more people to participate in the contest. :D

WampaX
2006-07-07, 05:30 PM
Voice of the Wampinator: Geeze people, this thread is for Contest ideas, not to talk about purchasing patterns of gamers.

InaVegt
2006-07-07, 05:33 PM
Well, templates are Indeed easier to make than epic stuff (though I really want to make the terrasque's bick brother sometime))

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 05:38 PM
Yeah, maybe called an Elder Abberation (not actually an abberation, just called so). :P

Seems like fun...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-07, 06:01 PM
Just thought I might mention you can download the majority of 2nd ed books here (http://homepages.tesco.net/~a_skywalker/downloads.htm).

However, though I played it for 2-3 years and it'll always have a soft spot in my heart, naw, I think I'll just stick with 3.5 if its all the same to you ;)

Joe_Kerr
2006-07-07, 06:58 PM
I love the digital books, but I still haven't been able to find a free version of the Psionics handbook. Sadly it also happens to be the one 2nd edition book I can't get a hard copy of. Ah well. But yeah, you folks should do a 2nd edition contest. I would even enter. I would rock it hawid. Just sayin'.

madhatter66
2006-07-07, 09:14 PM
I'll save my rants on 3/3.5e vs. 2e for another day.

At any rate, I for one do not want strictly epic templates. I was agreeing with the idea of multiple template types plus an "epic template" category. Just one. Maybe two, but I think one will be plenty. We could divide the templates up by level/CR adjustment, but I think it might be easier to just divide them by template type. For instance, an undead template category, a magical beast category, a monstrous humanoid category, an aberration category, an outsider category and an all-encompassing "epic" category.

Of course, we don't even need to be that generic. We could have some more intriguing categories, like "mythological creature" templates, and "bizarro" templates (for really weird stuff), or "underground dwellers" templates.

Brickwall
2006-07-08, 02:12 AM
Of course, we don't even need to be that generic. *We could have some more intriguing categories, like "mythological creature" templates, and "bizarro" templates (for really weird stuff), or "underground dwellers" templates. *

That gets my vote.

Lysander
2006-07-09, 02:17 PM
I know somebody has probably suggested this at some point but what about a contest to write the beats of an adventure? For instance one beat would be that players have to go to a dungeon and find an enchanted chalice that makes anything drunk from it a deadly poison, and the next beat would involve visiting a seer to learn how to find the BBEG and force him to drink from the cup, and etc.

They could be listed like this:

1. The party meets up in the city of Parish. They know each other from a previous adventure and have gathered to investigate rumors of a treasure stolen from the king.
2. A bit of digging around leads them to Maybell Flores, an innkeeper that used to work in the palace as a maid before being fired. She has many contacts left inside and reveals that what the stolen treasure is actually unknown to the king himself but that it was nicked from a section of the vault reserved for powerful and dangerous magical items.
etc.

There could be different categories. Perhaps a 5 beat short story, a ten beat, and a twenty beat.

madhatter66
2006-07-10, 09:38 PM
Do you mean have different categories of different lengths (5-beat, 10-beat, etc.) or have people write different beats for the same story? I think the latter would be more interesting, but harder to pull off. There would have to be a general outline for each section, then have people run their own ideas through. Plus there would have to be an overall ECL for the adventure. But it's an interesting thought.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-11, 04:54 PM
What about something like the following?

Theme: Monster
Categories:
*Template that modifies a character race into a monster, whether playable or not. (Example: Lycanthrope)
*Template that modifies an existing monster (Example: Fiendish)
*Most creative
*Best CR 1
*Best overall

And {cue whining} I wanna do a contest! Or, even better: If there's contests there, I wanna do them! When can we get one rolling?

madhatter66
2006-07-11, 09:39 PM
I think that might have to work. Although I still say a category specifically for epic templates might be a good idea, since it can keep the other categories at a manageable level (having two or three epic entries in every category might be a lot more reading for the judges than just one category comprised entirely of epic templates). Or, I guess we could scrap epic templates entirely. *sigh* :-/

Fax Celestis
2006-07-11, 10:00 PM
Alright, so tag "*Best epic monster" and "*Best epic template" onto there. How many categories does that give us?

//checks

Seven. Good number.

*Template that modifies a character race into a monster, whether playable or not
*Template that modifies an existing creature
*Most creative
*Best CR 1
*Best epic creature
*Best epic template
*Best overall

Yes?

madhatter66
2006-07-11, 11:39 PM
I dig it. This list has my vote. Anyone else?

Vaynor
2006-07-12, 07:37 PM
Sounds good to me, though on your list it has "Template that modifies an existing creature", isn't that what ALL templates do? :P

Fax Celestis
2006-07-12, 07:44 PM
Sounds good to me, though on your list it has "Template that modifies an existing creature", isn't that what ALL templates do? :P
What I mean is a template designed for monsters, not PC-use.

Vaynor
2006-07-12, 08:26 PM
Ah, I see. It was just kind of confusing. :P

;)

Sacrath
2006-07-13, 12:37 AM
Contests are fun, so whatever is fine with me.

AdInfinitum
2006-07-13, 02:23 AM
As long is it's not Powerpuff Girls themed, I'm fine with it. I'd like to see epic get some love, but...

Hydro
2006-07-14, 09:30 PM
Prestige classes and monsters are different animals, kinda hard to judge side-by-side. You'd really be running two contests side-by-side. Given that we've already did monsters, and that there seems to be interest in templates, why not just do a template contest?

We could get more specific than that, but I'd be fine with a generic "template contest". It would be interesting if we had a high or no word cap on the flavor/explanatory text, to encourage templates with strong story elements (lycanthrope, captured one) over flavorless mechanical tools (insectoid, chimeric). The latter are very useful for making new monsters, but a bit less fun to read or write.

Occorse, I'd also like to get a contest going asap, so, whatever works.

Hydro
2006-07-14, 10:12 PM
... Actually, I was just checking out the ancient pages of this thread, and the idea of a one-page overview for a homebrew campeign setting (just a basic concept, without much work or development) has been suggested and approved of several times but never done.

Huh, huh, how about it?? ^_^

madhatter66
2006-07-15, 12:48 AM
That would certainly be interesting. I'd have a doozy of a time fitting my current homebrew into a one-page description, but it's worth a try.

Honestly, I'll go with whatever contest is decided upon. If it's up to a vote, I vote for templates, but I'll have fun with about anything.

Everyman
2006-07-23, 12:07 AM
Hmm...templates? Not monsters per se, but actual cumstomized templates? I could get behind that. The only problem I see is contestants fighting over paticular concepts. I mean, there can only be so many templates before some of them start to sound a bit repeatitive...right?

Brickwall
2006-07-23, 12:11 AM
Not really. That's the beauty of templates. For instance you could make:
A template that makes monsters more humanlike
A template that makes them less humanlike
A template that makes something filled with soda
A template that turns something into an elemental or elemental-like creature
Etcetera

It's the wonderful world of fun-ness!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-23, 10:51 AM
Now if only we could get an actual contest going... ;)

madhatter66
2006-07-23, 06:50 PM
Amen! I'm totally ready to dig in and get down to the nitty-gritty, and other cliche catch phrases! :D

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-23, 07:39 PM
Amen! I'm totally ready to dig in and get down to the nitty-gritty, and other cliche catch phrases! :D
Put our noses to the grindstone, get jiggy wit' it, pedal to the metal!

Mike_Lemmer
2006-07-23, 09:43 PM
Enuf jibba-jabba!

Contest! Contest!

The Glyphstone
2006-07-24, 06:35 AM
Let's get this party started!

Brickwall
2006-07-24, 11:04 AM
I'm trying to think of a fitting song to that that doesn't suck. I guess that one Pink song doesn't make me want to kill her too badly. Eh, whatever.

Let's do this thing!

Fax Celestis
2006-07-25, 01:47 PM
...if someone doesn't start a contest by tonight, I'm going to.

Vaynor
2006-07-25, 05:23 PM
We should start protesting...

"Contest! Contest! Contest!..."

Mike_Lemmer
2006-07-25, 11:44 PM
What will we threaten them with? Burn a random forumer alive? They'd probably help pour the gasoline.

Vaynor
2006-07-26, 01:04 AM
Umm, we'll start our own contests? I don't know...

beholder
2006-07-26, 03:36 AM
at last we shall reveal ourselves to the mods. at last we shall have our revenge...
wait. hang on, we like mods...damn
we'll have to find someone else to reveal ourselves to

Brickwall
2006-07-26, 03:53 AM
at last we shall reveal ourselves to the mods. at last we shall have our revenge...
wait. hang on, we like mods...damn
we'll have to find someone else to reveal ourselves to

Speak for yourself; I'm not 'revealing myself' to anyone, ya sick freak!

More to the point: There'd be nothing wrong with us holding an informal small contest in the Gaming forum, just as long as each entry was only one post long (there's a Modify button. Learn to use it). Frankly, I think it could be fun.

Skyserpent
2006-07-26, 05:09 AM
YES! Rise up! ANARCHY WILL RULE!

wait... oxymoron... *headasplode*

But yeah I'm all for it.

CombustinPorcupine
2006-07-26, 12:11 PM
Sure, if there isn't another contest going on why don't we just set up our own. I'd be willing to help out if it came to that.

WampaX
2006-07-26, 12:29 PM
More to the point: There'd be nothing wrong with us holding an informal small contest in the Gaming forum, just as long as each entry was only one post long (there's a Modify button. Learn to use it). Frankly, I think it could be fun.

Don't.
I'd have to employ lotsa locks and red text.

Be patient. Gorbash is finally settling back in and Alarra has something she wants to work on and I'm trying to not start anything I can't keep an eye on while I'm at Gen*Con.

So, there will probably be something up in a week or so.

The Glyphstone
2006-07-26, 12:45 PM
We can wait....

but haven't unofficial, mod-sanctioned contests been run in this very forum before?

Brickwall
2006-07-26, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't it basically be one of those [Challenge] threads? Well, whatever, as long as it's being worked on. I can imagine the categories are hard to think up this time around.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-07-30, 08:27 PM
Contest ideas are coming into focus as we speak. The board reorg/great thread migration had to be completed first, though, as attempting to run a contest and move several hundred threads likely would have driven me to lighting someone on fire. Expect a new contest for August, coming soon.

Blue_C.
2006-07-30, 09:52 PM
So... is the staff award for the Tavern contest going to be announced soon as well too? And the threads unlocked?

madhatter66
2006-07-30, 11:50 PM
New contest in August?? Yaaaay! Happy birthday me!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fax Celestis
2006-08-02, 03:04 PM
Contest ideas are coming into focus as we speak. *The board reorg/great thread migration had to be completed first, though, as attempting to run a contest and move several hundred threads likely would have driven me to lighting someone on fire. *Expect a new contest for August, coming soon.
Iiiiiiiiit's Aaaauuuuuuuuuuugust.

Vaynor
2006-08-02, 04:09 PM
Iiiiiiiiit's Aaaauuuuuuuuuuugust.
Yes, yes it is. *glare*

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-03, 12:24 PM
Expect the contest to be up by Monday. Currently figuring out exactly what the entries should contain, exact judging categories, and the twist ;)

I can give you a hint - I expect to see the words "order" and "guild" popping up regularly once this gets started.

Vaynor
2006-08-03, 12:26 PM
Hmm, so I guess we are making an organization/guild? Sounds cool...

I'll have to start thinking... ;)

The Glyphstone
2006-08-03, 04:22 PM
Odd - I got a completely different interpretation of that....

Order of the Stick....
Linear Guild...

Vaynor
2006-08-03, 09:41 PM
Odd - I got a completely different interpretation of that....

Order of the Stick....
Linear Guild...
Yeah, but what kind of contest could they have from that? I think it's the organization still, and I have a good idea, as long as there's a humor section. :D

The Glyphstone
2006-08-04, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but what kind of contest could they have from that? I think it's the organization still, and I have a good idea, as long as there's a humor section. :D

Yeah, I have a feeling it'll be that too.

Really wishing I had DMGII now - supposed to have lots of good crunch/fluff on building organizations/affiliations...

Fax Celestis
2006-08-04, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling it'll be that too.

Really wishing I had DMGII now - supposed to have lots of good crunch/fluff on building organizations/affiliations...
It's nice, but it isn't anything you couldn't have thought up on your own.

Vaynor
2006-08-04, 09:19 PM
It's nice, but it isn't anything you couldn't have thought up on your own.
Yeah, but it still helps out a lot. :D

Brickwall
2006-08-04, 10:31 PM
Feh, there's only a few base building blocks you need. The rest is superfluous (if fun). Those blocks are easy enough to construct, so no special "guides" should be needed.

I'm not wasting 40 bucks on nothing.

Vaynor
2006-08-04, 11:23 PM
Of course, there's still other stuff in it, plus if you already have it, it's a nice thing to use.

Brickwall
2006-08-05, 01:10 AM
When you're a gun expert, no matter how convenient a sight may be for others, you still think it's a waste of time.

Granted I'm no expert on organizations, but how hard can it be?

"Hey y'all! Watch this!"

Fax Celestis
2006-08-06, 05:40 PM
Expect the contest to be up by Monday. *Currently figuring out exactly what the entries should contain, exact judging categories, and the twist ;)

I can give you a hint - I expect to see the words "order" and "guild" popping up regularly once this gets started.
I almost just made a post saying "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiit's Mooooooooonday," until I realized, "Hey wait, no it's not: it's Sunday. I'm on crack."

Well, not on crack. But certainly tired.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-06, 08:45 PM
Please note that I'm talking Monday as according to East Coast US time, and that "Monday" is more likely to mean "Monday evening" as opposed to "12:01 AM Monday."

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-06, 09:34 PM
Gee, what are we payin' you for then? >:(

Sacrath
2006-08-06, 09:50 PM
We are supposed to be paying them? No wonder they seem grouchy lately! ;)

Everyman
2006-08-06, 10:09 PM
Indeed.

If we are building organizations or guilds, this could open up some custom mechanic design for the crunch writers out there. Perhaps joining the guild grants certain mechanical benefits or bonus feats...

Basically, read the PHB II organizations section and you'll know what I mean.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-06, 11:19 PM
Since the PHBII stuff isn't OGL, it won't be a required part of the contest. I haven't decided whether or not there will be a category for including that information for those who have the book.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-06, 11:24 PM
Please note that I'm talking Monday as according to East Coast US time, and that "Monday" is more likely to mean "Monday evening" as opposed to "12:01 AM Monday."
I'm sorry, I don't mean to pester. I'm just eager.

The Demented One
2006-08-07, 02:34 AM
Would it not be logical to get a moderator with insomnia problems, just for this reason? Also, why is there a scantily clad pseudogod in place of your normal orcish avatar?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-07, 08:36 AM
We are supposed to be paying them? No wonder they seem grouchy lately! ;)
I gave it the office.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-07, 09:10 AM
Would it not be logical to get a moderator with insomnia problems, just for this reason? Also, why is there a scantily clad pseudogod in place of your normal orcish avatar?
Because Haruhi-sama rocks.

Everyman
2006-08-07, 01:07 PM
Since the PHBII stuff isn't OGL, it won't be a required part of the contest. *I haven't decided whether or not there will be a category for including that information for those who have the book.

Oh, I figured that. I just noted the PHBII as an example of what I was trying to describe (badly). :)

Sacrath
2006-08-07, 03:13 PM
Because Haruhi-sama rocks.

Litterally and figuratively.

tape_measure
2006-08-09, 10:06 PM
oh look! this thread had a two year anniversary yesterday and we missed it....how sad.

Happy Late-Anniversary Thread!

SilveryCord
2006-08-15, 11:43 AM
I think we should do a contest where we have to build an interesting variant rule. For example, something like Taint of Action Points. BUT, unlike Action Points, it would have to be even for warriors, casters, AND Psions :)

(I hate action points for not having any psionic uses.)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-15, 02:51 PM
This off-topic, but SilveryCord, check out the More Insane Feats! thread in Homebrew Design, by yours truly. I just added a feat that addresses your complaint (Greater Surging Madness, near the bottom of the OP).

Vaynor
2006-08-29, 12:49 AM
I would again like to suggest a template for the next contest. I just don't want anyone to forget this idea. ;D

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-08, 04:59 PM
We seem to be having a sea, maybe nautical, based contest coming up... and I can hardly wait to hear the specifics. Had an inspiration that I'm dying to work on once I hear the specifics.

Edit: Btw, for those of you who have no idea what type of contests have already been done, thought I'd list them out. Hadn't a clue about previous contests until I just now looked them up, and was suprised about how few there have actually been (though it seems we're picking up the pace ;D )

Pirates (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11577530 45) (September 2006)
Summer Organization (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550019 50) (August 2006)
Psionics Roundtable (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11472742 10) (May 2006)
Screen Name Tavern (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11397740 98) (February 2006)
Fall/Winter NPC Portrait (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11334880 63) (December 2005)
Monster Design (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11255487 72) (September 2005)
Monumental City (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202338 27) (July 2005)
Party Design (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11154593 49) (May 2005)
Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11072554 72) (February 2005)
Festival (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11023948 75) (December 2004)
Pantheon Design (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=10998741 82) (November 2004)
Spell Theme (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=10920680 28) (August 2004)
Screen Name Prestige Class (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=10920260 13) (July 2004)

Maybe we could put this on a stickied page so everyone could find them without scrolling through 15 pages or so?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-14, 03:52 PM
Contest Ideas for October:

#1. Fell Templates. The creatures or people around are beginning to change into something so horrific it defies explanation!

#2. A 'shunned' locale. A haunted wood, a curse crypt, a possessed house.

#3. Call of Cthulhu. Write up a horror story of the cthulhu genre theme, introducing a new mastermind aberration or evil artifact that when used in your fantastic plot could drive your players mad!

Carmichael
2006-09-14, 06:32 PM
I'm personally not crazy about the introduction of new monsters. A "mysterious locale" would be nice, though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-14, 07:29 PM
A template isn't a new monster, its to add to old monsters ;)

Carmichael
2006-09-14, 08:08 PM
Well, whether or not an ettin with Template X is a new monster from a normal ettin is debatable, but it's just that I'd prefer a "mysterious locale" entry because spinning up stats for various monsters/templates is, in my mind, less challenging than writing up an enticing locale.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-15, 11:18 AM
What about a contest centered around adapting old locales from games past to 3.5?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 01:40 PM
Well, whether or not an ettin with Template X is a new monster from a normal ettin is debatable, but it's just that I'd prefer a "mysterious locale" entry because spinning up stats for various monsters/templates is, in my mind, less challenging than writing up an enticing locale.
I'm sure our contest runners could make a template contest quite challenging.

What about a contest centered around adapting old locales from games past to 3.5?
Where would you find such locales to adapt?

Carmichael
2006-09-15, 04:25 PM
When I wrote "challenging" I meant the act of writing itself more than the contest -- that is, any old sausage, in my opinion, can grasp the monster creation rules, spin up a variety of numbers, throw in some random concepts (I always thought dragons breathing cold or lightning was kind of hokey) and call it a creation. Where as a "mysterious locale" entry seems to require a greater degree of thought and effort and subtlety. (No spinning up numbers and crunch.)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 06:52 PM
When I wrote "challenging" I meant the act of writing itself more than the contest -- that is, any old sausage, in my opinion, can grasp the monster creation rules, spin up a variety of numbers, throw in some random concepts (I always thought dragons breathing cold or lightning was kind of hokey) and call it a creation. Where as a "mysterious locale" entry seems to require a greater degree of thought and effort and subtlety. (No spinning up numbers and crunch.)
*this old sausage raises an eyebrow at Carmichael and then decks him a hard one*

Ok, now that thats out of my system, no, it actually takes a 'slight' bit of effort to make a monster, and a bit more effort to make a good one.

I can very well imagine the admins here saying you have to work the template into a story. Give an account of how these people came to be, such as a nearby town ate some strange fruit that'd never been seen before that grew on an odd tree. Suddenly strange things began to happen, etc.

And I'm not arguing the locale bit might not be better, I just take umbrage that it doesn't require any particular skill or writing ability to make a template or monster-based contest. It wouldn't just be 'make a template'. I'm fairly certain there could be added spin to spice things up and give you that challenge you seek.

Even if you did the spooooky locale, you'd still need to populate it most like, which would likely include a new monsters or NPC, i.e. crunch and numbers.

Carmichael
2006-09-15, 07:25 PM
No need to take things personally and pretend to hit me -- it's just that I think mechanics, being easier to accomplish (you just crunch numbers), will receive more attention in a monster/template/whatever entry. I think you are just going into conjecture regarding the next contest -- I'm just stating a preference. :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 10:12 PM
No need to take things personally and pretend to hit me
Gonna say it one more time... disagreement and god emotes does not mean something has been taken personally.

It was an assault in jest. I found it satisfy amusing anyways...

I think you are just going into conjecture regarding the next contest -- I'm just stating a preference.
Err... what?

Carmichael
2006-09-16, 04:01 AM
Let's just pretend that all I ever said was that I prefer a locale contest versus a template/monster/creature one.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-17, 03:43 PM
Personally, I wouldn't suggest a template contest. Compared to the locales contest, it'd be equivalent to a terrain contest. Less potential variety, more chances to overlap with existing templates and other entries, harder to insert into campaigns, and the ever-exciting possibility there's a broken combo with it and another template.

And what theme could you give a template contest that wouldn't result in massive overlap? I'd suggest a planar one, but that's already well-covered by the official material.

Carmichael
2006-09-17, 03:49 PM
And now I think that Mike just articulated everything I wanted to say. :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-17, 06:55 PM
And now I think that Mike just articulated everything I wanted to say. :)
Guess he hasn't been listening either then...

You can have a template contest that has more to it than simply a template, people.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-17, 09:52 PM
Guess he hasn't been listening either then...

You can have a template contest that has more to it than simply a template, people.

So if the template is the weak part of the contest, why not just call it a scenario contest with a template attached?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-19, 12:58 AM
*tries desperately to flee down his own gullet*

The Demented One
2006-09-19, 01:07 AM
Wait, you can't do that. It's like dividing by zero, only messier.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-19, 02:30 AM
*tries desperately to flee down his own gullet*

So do we have a VorpOuroboros now?

Fax Celestis
2006-09-19, 02:51 AM
So do we have a VorpOuroboros now?
A furry, prolific one.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-19, 03:24 AM
A furry, prolific one.

But if both orifices are occupied, where do the babies pop from?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 08:59 AM
Mentally prolific, be what me friend M_L be meanin'.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-19, 08:19 PM
Arrgh, I like me interpretation better.

The Demented One
2006-09-23, 12:34 AM
But if both orifices are occupied, where do the babies pop from?
Vorpal Tribble creates his babies psionically, out of raw ectoplasm.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-23, 12:59 AM
Vorpal Tribble creates his babies psionically, out of raw ectoplasm.
I prefer the old fashioned method, thanks :P

Rama_Lei
2006-09-23, 10:44 PM
Best Story Adaptation
Take a classic story, and turn it into a D&D campagin.

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-28, 07:33 PM
Best Story Adaptation
Take a classic story, and turn it into a D&D campagin.

I can't wait to turn Stephen King's the Shining into a DND campaign.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 08:14 PM
I can't wait to turn Stephen King's the Shining into a DND campaign.
If you do The Shining, I'm doing The Shawshank Redemption.

...which wouldn't be half bad, come to think of it.

My vote for contest idea? Create a culture. Include common foods, social practices, social classes (if any), economics, popular sports and pastimes, views on magic and the divine, unique deities (if any), and a sample city/settlement.

I think that'd be a lot of fun, and has a large combination of both crunch and fluff.

The Demented One
2006-09-28, 08:22 PM
If we do stories, I have dibs on Snow Crash.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 08:33 PM
If we do stories, I have dibs on Snow Crash.
...How on earth are you going to do THE DELIVERATOR in a medieval fantasy setting?

The Demented One
2006-09-28, 08:40 PM
...How on earth are you going to do THE DELIVERATOR in a medieval fantasy setting?
The Metaverse could be a sort of shared dreamscape thing, Snow Crash being a truespeach-based virus spread via dreams.

SilveryCord
2006-10-04, 06:34 PM
I think we should do a contest for people to come up with new spellcasting/mystical ability systems. Kind of like a super-extended Tome of Magic.

I was thinking about doing a magic system based entirely on Three Dragon Ante.

Vaynor
2006-10-04, 09:02 PM
I think we should do a contest for people to come up with new spellcasting/mystical ability systems. Kind of like a super-extended Tome of Magic.

I was thinking about doing a magic system based entirely on Three Dragon Ante.
That would require much work, and exclude many people from the contest.

Again with the exclusion, basing a contest on a product would not be fair to those who do not own said product.

I would like to suggest, again, a template contest.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 09:17 PM
That would require much work, and exclude many people from the contest.

Again with the exclusion, basing a contest on a product would not be fair to those who do not own said product.

I would like to suggest, again, a template contest.
Nono, not based on the tome of magic, just similar in theme: make up your own replacement magic system.

Vaynor
2006-10-04, 10:24 PM
Nono, not based on the tome of magic, just similar in theme: make up your own replacement magic system.
I realize that, I meant many people would not have time for all that work, or would not want to invest that much time. Also, it's a big hassle.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 10:25 PM
I realize that, I meant many people would not have time for all that work, or would not want to invest that much time. Also, it's a big hassle.
I suppose.

The Glyphstone
2006-10-05, 06:33 AM
I propose an amendment to the next contest, that no mention of psionics, psychics, dreams, dreamers, dreaming, or animated bloodthirsty versions of otherwise harmless objects is permitted.

What?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-05, 09:59 AM
*burbles menacingly*

Fax Celestis
2006-10-05, 02:10 PM
I propose an amendment to the next contest, that no mention of psionics, psychics, dreams, dreamers, dreaming, or animated bloodthirsty versions of otherwise harmless objects is permitted.
But what would we write about?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-10-05, 06:19 PM
Fax, was there a reason that you triple-posted?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-05, 06:34 PM
Fax, was there a reason that you triple-posted?
Stupid intarwebz.

Vaynor
2006-10-05, 07:25 PM
But that would exclude certain Tribble's from the contest...

..oh. I agree. Good rule.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-05, 09:22 PM
But that would exclude certain Tribble's from the contest...

..oh. I agree. Good rule.
Now, now, gimme some credit. The last contest I didn't use nothin' about dreams or pisonics, nor the tavern contest.

Vaynor
2006-10-05, 09:35 PM
Now, now, gimme some credit. The last contest I didn't use nothin' about dreams or pisonics, nor the tavern contest.
Well that's what, two out of ten?

Anyways, it's kinda hard to make a pirate contest about psionics/dreams.. :P

The Demented One
2006-10-05, 10:09 PM

Anyways, it's kinda hard to make a pirate contest about psionics/dreams.. :P
But....he did.

Vaynor
2006-10-05, 11:08 PM
But....he did.
Wow, I feel like an idiot. I haven't read his entry, and I thought he said this contest he didn't use it. :P

Disregard my comment then...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-05, 11:30 PM
Two out of five actually, BUT...

Wow, I feel like an idiot.
*pours some salt and rubs it in reeeeal good*

I haven't read his entry
And here I am typing my fingers to the bone. And for what? WHAT? But a few hundred kilobytes to show the precious, wasted moments of my apparently worthless life...

Fax Celestis
2006-10-06, 12:42 AM
And here I am typing my fingers to the bone. And for what? WHAT? But a few hundred kilobytes to show the precious, wasted moments of my apparently worthless life...
You too, huh? Life of the artist. Woe be us.

Vaynor
2006-10-06, 10:28 AM
Exactly! Now you're getting it! ;D

Roland St. Jude
2006-10-08, 11:10 AM
I'm no future psychic, but I suspect a new contest will be launched in the next 24 hours....

Vaynor
2006-10-08, 01:47 PM
I'm no future psychic, but I suspect a new contest will be launched in the next 24 hours....
*coughtemplatecough*

*whistles innocently*

Evil_Pacifist
2006-10-08, 08:12 PM
Well, since you just did pirates, I think it's only fair you do ninjas next.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-10-08, 09:22 PM
Wraith ninjas?

Carmichael
2006-10-13, 02:18 AM

I'd support this for the (next) contest, partly because psychic stuff generally doesn't pique my interest, and partly because it's an extension of the mechanics that seems too "grafted" onto the core rules. *

You too, huh? Life of the artist. Woe be us.

Interesting you say, since I think of RPG material being as much (if not more) technical writing than actual inspiration and creativity. *How you present your (of course unique and genius) work will affect how much I want to read it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-13, 11:49 AM
I'd support this for the (next) contest, partly because psychic stuff generally doesn't pique my interest, and partly because it's an extension of the mechanics that seems too "grafted" onto the core rules.
A suggestion that we not do another psionic contest, having just did one a few months back, is legit.

However, banning an entire system of D&D from a contest just 'cuz is rather pointless.

Carmichael
2006-10-13, 01:57 PM
Depends on the reader, I think. I'm not interested in using thep psionics system (for example) in my game, meaning that material based upon the psionics system isn't so attractive to me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-13, 02:12 PM
Depends on the reader, I think. I'm not interested in using thep psionics system (for example) in my game, meaning that material based upon the psionics system isn't so attractive to me.
Again, as I have said numerous times to similiar posts, these competitions are not supposed to be popularity contests. I've yet to vote on a single entry in any contest based upon my thinking I could use it in my games. I vote upon the originality and creativity of an entry independent of its subject matter.

Carmichael
2006-10-13, 05:48 PM
"Popularity contest" is a loaded term (and anyhow a lot of D&Ders probably aren't/weren't terribly popular in high school). *It seems to me that which concepts people like will depend on taste; the degree of usefulness an entry has is less subjective (but it is still subjective). *And in any case, *I choose how I vote, and since I find useful* campaign material to be more attractive, I vote that way. *I am not voting for someone because his entry won last time, or because he is a Titan in the Playground, because he merely has a nice idea. (I believe most people who play/run RPGs can come up with nice RPG ideas given enough time and inspiration).

So fine, it's my voting preferences compared with yours, and there's no accounting for taste. *And I get as many votes as you.

* -- originality and creativity certainly make up what's useful in RPG material. *No one wants to play in a boring game; however, even if you have a great idea no one has thought of before, I won't like it if there's no one to implement it. *

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-13, 05:58 PM
Well, there is always the fact that no two games are alike. I run two games. What would fit fantastically in one wouldn't even exist in the other.

As you say, it depends on what you go for, but with everyone going for different things in their possibly wildly varying settings I can't help but think that voting depending on how well it can go into your personal game is not all that fair. But whatever floats your boat (or sand wagon if in a desert campaign, balloon in the ethereal plane, planeshifting craft of your choice, etc etc, whatever fits)

And I get as many votes as you.
As little as I comprehend what that has to do with the conversation, I think I might note that in the six contests I've entered so far, I've never done even half so badly as I did in this latest one.

So I wouldn't exactly be bragging about the comparison ;)

Carmichael
2006-10-13, 09:49 PM
I get as many votes as you in that I can cast 1 vote per category and so can you. *In other words, who wins a contest doesn't depend on a single criteria since we vote differently (you want to see more originality and creativity; I want to see useful material).