PDA

View Full Version : What is this sci-fi???

Flame of Anor
2008-11-18, 03:30 AM
There's a sci-fi book or series of books that I read, but I can't remember what the title or author is.

The setting: Earth has a space force, but normal people don't go into space. The FTL propulsion system works by transferring the spaceship to a different universe, one in which they were already at their destination. Elderly people, however, can join up--their minds are transferred into new clone bodies and they can never return to earth. These rejuvenated people compose most of the space force.

However, there are also the Special Forces, who are made from scratch and growth-accelerated so that they are mature in weeks or months or something. They're also genetically enhanced and telepathic.

As for the story, at least one section or book focuses on an old guy who joins up and becomes young and a soldier. Another one focuses on one of these Special Forces clones. There's another plot element in one of these or a different section or book where there's some guy, and his daughter who died in an attack on the base that the guy was stationed on but when he was away. Or something like that, it's been a year or two since I read it. Any help would be appreciated!

kamikasei
2008-11-18, 03:39 AM
By any chance is it called Old Man's War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man%27s_War) by - I think - John Haldeman Scalzi?

Flame of Anor
2008-11-18, 04:27 AM
Yes! Thank you so much!

hamishspence
2008-11-18, 01:13 PM
I thought it was pretty interesting concept.