PDA

View Full Version : A possible move for Charlie (spoiler?)

Faramir
2008-11-19, 12:48 PM
One thing he might do is offer Stanley a limited contract in return for transferring the services of that useless warlord who messed everything up. Of course Stanley might not take it given his dislike of Charlie.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I don't follow board much.

Occasional Sage
2008-11-19, 05:56 PM
That would work only until Stanley makes it back to Gobwin Knob. Once he sees what's happened in his absence, he's going to figure out exactly what Parson can do.

Also, I like the idea that units can be used as fungible resources. I haven't seen a game do that, but the concept is interesting!

Godskook
2008-11-19, 07:28 PM
FF Tactics allows you to send your units out on 'jobs' that range from 'tutoring' to 'monster slaying'. The units leave for x days, and come back with gil and items. I'm sure that isn't the only game that does that kind of thing. Admittedly, I've seen few that allowed you to **** with your enemies like that, though(Lords of the Realm 2 comes to mind, of course, there were several horrible exploits in that one).

Lamech
2008-11-19, 08:48 PM
I actually like the idea. Now needless to say Stanley will be ticked when he finds out just how screwed he got.

Although as you said Stanley might refuse because he dislikes Charlie. Of course, this would show that Stanley is probably wise not to deal with Charlie.

Faramir
2008-11-24, 04:59 PM
That would work only until Stanley makes it back to Gobwin Knob. Once he sees what's happened in his absence, he's going to figure out exactly what Parson can do.

True, but if the deal is made before Stanley gets back...

One of the things I like about the option from a plot standpoint is that it suddenly opens up Parson's interactions with the world enormously. Instead of being involved with one battle he might be involved anywhere Charlie is.

HPV
2008-11-25, 01:32 PM
For plot reasons I don't think it will happen, but if I was in Charlie's shoes I'd be thinkagraming the king of Jetstone right now and trying to cut a deal with him. Something along the lines of:
"It looks like your heirs about to get himself croaked. Now, there's a lot of uncroaked down there, so I'm going to have to charge a higher than normal fee, but I'm willing to waive that completely on the condition that my forces are the ones that get to deal with Stanley's chief warlord."
He would then have the chance to try and capture Parson (& artifacts) while appearing to be the good guy, & not booping off the RCC members.

DevilDan
2008-11-25, 01:41 PM
For plot reasons I don't think it will happen, but if I was in Charlie's shoes I'd be thinkagraming the king of Jetstone right now and trying to cut a deal with him. Something along the lines of:
"It looks like your heirs about to get himself croaked. Now, there's a lot of uncroaked down there, so I'm going to have to charge a higher than normal fee, but I'm willing to waive that completely on the condition that my forces are the ones that get to deal with Stanley's chief warlord."
He would then have the chance to try and capture Parson (& artifacts) while appearing to be the good guy, & not booping off the RCC members.

Nice speculation. Makes me wonder how the new undead army changes the number of archons that Charlie would need to take GK.

SteveMB
2008-11-25, 01:46 PM
Nice speculation. Makes me wonder how the new undead army changes the number of archons that Charlie would need to take GK.

Perhaps not at all -- Charlie isn't dependent on holding a coalition together, so he can just wait a few turns until they fall apart, or else wait to pick up the pieces after the battle.

HPV
2008-11-25, 02:04 PM
Perhaps not at all -- Charlie isn't dependent on holding a coalition together, so he can just wait a few turns until they fall apart, or else wait to pick up the pieces after the battle.
However, if he waits to see how things pan out & the RCC managed to capture GK (& they must still have a fair chance, even if, for plot reasons, it's unlikely IMO) he won't get Parson or the artifact, at least not easily.
If he cuts a deal with the RCC now, while he has some pretty serious leverage, he might well have a very good chance of working it so that he gets what he wants without annoying any other factions too much.

As I said though, I don't see this happening, it's just what I'd do in Charlie's shoes *shrug*

Sieggy
2008-11-25, 10:38 PM
However, if he waits to see how things pan out & the RCC managed to capture GK (& they must still have a fair chance, even if, for plot reasons, it's unlikely IMO) he won't get Parson or the artifact, at least not easily.
If he cuts a deal with the RCC now, while he has some pretty serious leverage, he might well have a very good chance of working it so that he gets what he wants without annoying any other factions too much.

As I said though, I don't see this happening, it's just what I'd do in Charlie's shoes *shrug*

At this point, I see Charlie sitting in front of his holotank, stuffing his face with beer & skittles, going 'Holy Boop!' and enjoying the show immensely. He really has nothing to lose at this point no matter how it turns out. If Ansom wins, his Archons can extract Parson and his artifacts (who may or may not go along with that idea) and Ansom will have very little to say in the matter. If Parson wins, I see him getting a really hefty sign-on bonus . . .

When the dust settles, remember that Charlie will have the dominant force on the battlefield, not having gone through a hatchet fight. Both RCC and GK will have seriously winnowed one another, and won't be in much of a condition to argue the matter. And Stanley, with his extremely depleted forces. will not be in a position to argue the matter, either, when he shows up.

CaptC
2008-11-26, 10:22 AM
The mind boggles. Beer and... skittles??!?!??!?

Angband
2008-11-26, 11:02 AM
"Skittles" originally was a name for bowling, instead of for a candy.

So the phrase "beer and skittles" was really a reference to having a drink while knocking some pins down.

"Stuffing his face with beer and skittles" doesn't really work with any definition, however.

teratorn
2008-11-26, 12:10 PM
Ok, someone needs to try that and tell what's like (I have plenty of beer, but can't find skittles around here).

DevilDan
2008-11-26, 01:53 PM
"Skittles" originally was a name for bowling, instead of for a candy.

So the phrase "beer and skittles" was really a reference to having a drink while knocking some pins down.

"Stuffing his face with beer and skittles" doesn't really work with any definition, however.

Hence the line from the Lehrer song: "Life is skittles and life is beer."

However, there is skittlebrau: http://skittlebrau.net/

Faramir
2008-11-26, 04:55 PM

Hmm, not a bad idea either. Well, I suspect we'll find out his actual move pretty soon given the picture one of the archons is transmistting.

dr pepper
2008-11-26, 05:46 PM
I think skittles is the kind of bowling that uses small pins stacked in a pyramid.

mroozee
2008-11-26, 06:42 PM
One thing he might do is offer Stanley a limited contract in return for transferring the services of that useless warlord who messed everything up. Of course Stanley might not take it given his dislike of Charlie.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I don't follow board much.

If I were Charlie, I'd cut a deal with the Royal Crown Coalition to provide (recently acquired) Predictamancy services:

"Ansom, I will accurately answer any N (<10) predictamancy questions if you agree to our price and that you will turn over Stanley's Chief Warlord to me - unharmed and with all of his gear intact."

This would greatly improve the RCC's chances against GK, collect revenue for Charlie, and possibly secure him Parson and his gear. If needs be, Charlie could couple his predicatamancy services with archons for an even higher price. The RCC could've avoided the debacle in the tunnels with that kind of information and it might be the difference between keeping the coalition together and watching it fracture. If the RCC has a Luckamancer on their side, Parson could be in REAL trouble.

CaptC
2008-11-26, 09:22 PM
If the RCC has a Luckamancer on their side, Parson could be in REAL trouble.

They don't. RCC has no Luckamancer listed in the order of battle, no reinforcements noted since then.

SeraphRainy
2008-12-07, 04:03 PM
Heyo all

I think you all underestimate charls and his sense of fun. First off, yes charlie mostly wants parson and his artifacts. However you also must remember that he is greedy. (IE: he could settle for just parson or just a high fee from the alliance but he has constantly passed up those opportunities at the promise of greater gain. Some examples would be, bowing out of the transilvito/stanley fight for mathamancy. Or say not taking GK just because Hamster said he would have the pliers from Ansom next turn.)

Also he is notoriously currious. He keeps doing things because they are interesting. Primarily sitting out of the battles and hacking parsons book, thus giving him a detached and rather whimsical style of command.

___

Somebody also mentioned if the new uncroaked units would make a difference in capturing the city. The answer is no, because Charlie has complete control over GK airspace, he then doesnt have to deal with the uncroaked on the walls and Wandas air force because they to are on the walls, they would both have to move through to get to garrison. Remember all Chalie has to do is take the garison not croak all units,additionaly most of GKs fighting units are presumably wounded and therefor not sitting on the walls. So even the masses of unded prove a weak advantage to the fact that the majority of the skilled fighting units are near toast.

That said Charlie being who he is has one realy good option that he will most likely try for. He will wait till someone wins and either Parson takes out Ansom and steals the pliers, perhaps through wanda, or Ansome punches into GK. (Obviously he would rather Parson win because then he is assured that he can take ALL the artifacts AND the warlord, probably some casters too. However he may still try something like that if RRC takes victory. Like a, "Steal artifacts run like Boop aproach." The only thing he must worry about there is Parsons tricky mind. Sooooo, optimum conditions are, Stanley returns Ansom looses pliers and the RRC and GK wear each other down until Charlie can take all the loot and run away quickly. yippie.)

DevilDan
2008-12-07, 05:10 PM
If I were Charlie, I'd cut a deal with the Royal Crown Coalition to provide (recently acquired) Predictamancy services:

Mathamancy, you mean.

Somebody also mentioned if the new uncroaked units would make a difference in capturing the city. The answer is no, because Charlie has complete control over GK airspace, he then doesnt have to deal with the uncroaked on the walls and Wandas air force because they to are on the walls, they would both have to move through to get to garrison. Remember all Chalie has to do is take the garison not croak all units,additionaly most of GKs fighting units are presumably wounded and therefor not sitting on the walls. So even the masses of unded prove a weak advantage to the fact that the majority of the skilled fighting units are near toast.

Charlie's archons would have the advantage in the air, so they might have a great advantage tackling the tower. That still leaves two other parts of the garrison that they need to get through, including the dungeon. Obviously it's possible: I'm sure that Charlie flew enough (or more than enough) units to GK based on Parson's mathamancy calculations, but that was before Parson multiplied his forces.

All GK's units will be healed before Charlie's turn begins the next day.

Sooooo, optimum conditions are, Stanley returns Ansom looses pliers and the RRC and GK wear each other down until Charlie can take all the loot and run away quickly. yippie.)

Stanley couldn't make it back until GK's turn on the next day, and Charlie's turn comes first anyway.

Godskook
2008-12-08, 10:30 AM
All GK's units will be healed before Charlie's turn begins the next day.

Is there any reason to believe that Charlie has to wait that long? He's already in the hex, after all.

'Course, that depends on how much he wants to grab, too, as well as how much anti-air Wanda can muster without Parson or the Garrison stacks.

DevilDan
2008-12-08, 06:10 PM
Is there any reason to believe that Charlie has to wait that long? He's already in the hex, after all.

'Course, that depends on how much he wants to grab, too, as well as how much anti-air Wanda can muster without Parson or the Garrison stacks.

There is a balancing act here: the longer he waits, the more each side will be weakened. But if he waits too long, the RCC will end its turn and the element of surprise, such as it is, will have been lost by the next day.