PDA

View Full Version : *headdesk* A Stupid Situation

afroakuma
2008-11-19, 02:20 PM
So, with Christmas coming up, I decided to get my mother something she'll truly enjoy: a dance game.

Mom likes excercising and has always liked the idea of DDR, Beatmania etc., so I bought a PS2 Slim secondhand and will buy a new game with pad, then have that pad affixed to a wooden platform so that it doesn't slip all over the (hardwood) floor.

So far, so good?

Here's the problem. The weedy-looking fellow that I bought it from was apparently "weedier" than I had thought. While he was good enough to give the machine a wipedown with rubbing alcohol, the wires and controller smell of... something I don't recognize, but can take a pretty fair stab at.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas on how to remove said odor?

skywalker
2008-11-19, 02:43 PM
Febreze solves everything.

Especially in this type of situation.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-19, 02:45 PM
Ahh the smell of grapes in the morning?

Rogue 7
2008-11-19, 02:45 PM
No idea, but I groaned at the pun.

afroakuma
2008-11-19, 02:46 PM
Febreze solves everything.

Especially in this type of situation.

Safe to spray on a controller?

valadil
2008-11-19, 02:47 PM
People in my freshman hall covered up that particular odor by microwaving popcorn.

Seriously though, I suggest taking the plastic casing off the PS2 (it's probably out of warranty anyway), drenching it in febreeze, and letting it air out. I'd be surprised if much odor got inside the PS2, but you'll want to remove the case so you can put enough febreeze on it without damaging any circuitry.

Supagoof
2008-11-19, 03:03 PM
Go to game store.

Buy new PS2 slim.

Return 3 days later with old PS2 slim.

Return it. Tell them it "smells funny" as the reason.

skywalker
2008-11-19, 04:02 PM
Safe to spray on a controller?

I would say so, yes. It's very unlikely you'll damage the internals, unless you take it apart first.

But I know a few people from experience say that particular smell responds well to Febreze.

Mustiado
2008-11-19, 04:05 PM
Rubbing Alcohol may be easier to use in this situation.

shaydin
2008-11-19, 08:35 PM
Go to game store.

Buy new PS2 slim.

:sigh:

Fail. Not only do PS2's have serial numbers the employees check against the box, it's morally reprehensable and illegal.

Just use rubbing alcohol. Make sure the rag (not paper) is only damp, not soaked, you don't want drips getting in between the buttons. For the cords, just wrap the rag over the end and pull the wire back and forth until it's clean and odor free. I would avoid the ends. Rubbing alcohol still contains water and can corrode any metal connections. I would avoid spraying anything at a controller or connector. Good luck!

Deathslayer7
2008-11-19, 08:57 PM
Give it to her anyway and let her enjoy it. :smallamused: :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2008-11-19, 08:59 PM
Give it to her anyway and let her enjoy it. :smallamused: :smalltongue:

Uh... no, that's a big no. The last thing I need is for my father to be proud of me. :smallyuk:

Deathslayer7
2008-11-19, 09:02 PM
how long is it till your mom's birthday?

If you got time, spray it with febreeze or something multiple times, but wait a day or so in between. Should get rid of it over time.

As for the PS2, not sure. I wouldn't recommend taking it apart unless you know exactly how to put it back together.

Something which i was bever good at. you can probably spray the top of that with febreeze or something similar as well. For the inside, i don't know.

skywalker
2008-11-19, 09:34 PM
As for the PS2, not sure. I wouldn't recommend taking it apart unless you know exactly how to put it back together.

It would surprise you how easy this actually is, altho I've never done a slim one, I don't think.

I second the rubbing alcohol idea if you're afraid of the Febreze, alcohol's not going to kill anything if you don't open the controller up, it evaporates fast enough to not be an issue.

I think you could probably wipe down the cords the same way.

But yes, Febreze is safe in pretty much every situation as well. I don't think you can get anything wet enough to cause damage, and I actually know some guys who salvaged a couch they bought at goodwill thru generous use of Febreze. Then again, they're probably even weedier than the guy you got the system from, so they're Febreze experts.

Deathslayer7
2008-11-19, 09:44 PM
It would surprise you how easy this actually is, altho I've never done a slim one, I don't think.

I second the rubbing alcohol idea if you're afraid of the Febreze, alcohol's not going to kill anything if you don't open the controller up, it evaporates fast enough to not be an issue.

I think you could probably wipe down the cords the same way.

But yes, Febreze is safe in pretty much every situation as well. I don't think you can get anything wet enough to cause damage, and I actually know some guys who salvaged a couch they bought at goodwill thru generous use of Febreze. Then again, they're probably even weedier than the guy you got the system from, so they're Febreze experts.

possibly, but i have trouble taking apart a computer case, installing an ethernet drive, cleaning it out and putting it back together.*

*not really, but meh.

afroakuma
2008-11-19, 09:46 PM
If I waited until her birthday it would be another ten months.

I think I'll go for the rubbing alcohol. The PS2 itself smells clean, so I suppose it works.

Serpentine
2008-11-19, 09:49 PM
Not sure how you could apply it while keeping the electronics safe, but bi-carb soda's good for removing odours, too.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-11-19, 11:57 PM
Or you could just leave it as it is and tell your mom it's a fancy Japanese bong...

afroakuma
2008-11-20, 12:19 AM
Or you could just leave it as it is and tell your mom it's a fancy Japanese bong...

Again with the very much no.

ForzaFiori
2008-11-20, 07:10 AM
rather than fabreeze, use this stuff called Ozium. Its like industrial strength fabreeze, but for commercial sale. I guarantee that it will get rid of that and many other smells, as I've sprayed down friends with it before they went home, and, even after close hugs with mom, no one found out.

Khanderas
2008-11-20, 07:25 AM
Odor, by its very nature, is always evaporating. If it didn't how would it reach your nose ?
So clean off what you can, rubbing alcohol sounds good and put in a well ventilated area. Perhaps a ventilation exhaust or something... moving air is good.
Hopefully the smell will disappear in time for wrapping.

Ashtar
2008-11-20, 10:10 AM
And if ever, you will probably find that you could simply buy another PS2 controller ? They run around $15 - $20 new on amazon... You might spend less on a new controller than on rubbing alcohol, febreeze, time and worry (does it still smell?).

Also, it would be a nice and crisp new controller, so much better than a used mushy button one. Especially since it's what you use to interact with your console.

And btw, that's a cool gift for your mum. Congrats

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-20, 10:25 AM
rather than fabreeze, use this stuff called Ozium

The might of Fabreeze will defeat your pathetic contender.

Jack Squat
2008-11-20, 10:34 AM

Maybe I'm just weird, but I never found Fabreeze to work. Instead of removing the smell (of sweat and hair...this was on a hat I've had for awhile), it just replaced it with the godawful smell of febreeze.
...then the Fabreeze wore off and the original smell came back.

I'd go with the rubbing alcohol (90%+) or buy a new controller option, personally.

Vagnarok
2008-11-20, 10:59 AM
Have you ever thought of just explaining the situation to her? She's an adult after all, she'd probably understand.

skywalker
2008-11-20, 01:47 PM

Can I sig this?

YPU
2008-11-20, 03:12 PM
So, you mushed, I have need for help with removing the smell of weedy things. Ofcourse the playgrounders! They are experts in this field!

Anyhow, a new controller would be nice and shiny and smells only of new plastic, if you have and donít mind spending the moneyz thatís probably the best option.

ForzaFiori
2008-11-21, 06:32 AM

The power of Ozium can even remove Fabreeze smell! (No, really, I tried it!)

Black_Pants_Guy
2008-11-21, 07:21 AM
Go to game store.

Buy new PS2 slim.

You're trying to get someone fired aren't you?

Linkavitch
2008-11-21, 01:28 PM
Wait, you mean 'funny' as in alcohol, or 'funny' as in weed? And, if you mean 'funny' as in weed, does that mean that the dude you bought it from stash weed in his PS2 and controller?

Adumbration
2008-11-21, 01:34 PM
Wait, you mean 'funny' as in alcohol, or 'funny' as in weed? And, if you mean 'funny' as in weed, does that mean that the dude you bought it from stash weed in his PS2 and controller?

It's either one of those, or the third option, which is something I don't wish to contemplate for great lengths of time.

skywalker
2008-11-21, 01:36 PM

I'm pretty sure the implication here is that he spent a lot of time... "enjoying his herb" in and around the room the PS2 was in.