PDA

View Full Version : Request: Rules For 4E Lycanthropic Infection

Leliel
2008-11-22, 01:34 PM
You see, a long time ago, I had an idea for a 3.5 game that basically went that the PCs were up-and-coming heroes who went out to save the planet...and were almost immidiately infected by lycanthropy in a world that hates werecreatures (and for no good reason-the "changes alignment" rule dosen't apply to the campagin).

Although I only learned 4E, I haven't at all given up on this idea, but I realize that my crunch skills are terrible-well, they might not be, but I'm not confident enough in my abilities to create anything more than a template-and so, I ask of you:

Could you create a rules system for being infected with lycanthropy that leaves the new therianthropes balanced for play as characters (without changing alignment beacuse...see above)?

And before you ask: Yes, the PCs will automatically succumb to the virus and start growing fur every full moon by DM fiat, but I want there to be a risk involved if they go wolf/tiger/lizard/wallaby/whatever on a random NPC and letting (or I cheat to let) him get away.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-11-22, 03:57 PM
Hmmm...I'm no 4e expert, but if all PCs have the ability, then they're all balanced, and you might just have to increase the encounter difficulty by a bit.

I'm thinking free encounter or daily powers that grant regeneration, attack bonuses, damage bonuses, damage resistance, bite attacks, etc. Not sure how they'd work though. I'll think on it a bit.

KKL
2008-11-22, 06:23 PM
I could pull something up. All I need to know are the specifics of the lycanthropy in question, and if their were-halves are different animals. Also, if natural attacks would be forced and if you want the Lycanthrope abilities to be different, now would be a good time to specify.

As for being infected in the first place, I could see it working similarily to a disease's stages in terms of infection. Also, now that they're lycanthropes, they should get used to their new vulnerable 5/10 silver (cancels regeneration until after a short rest) :V

Leliel
2008-11-22, 06:34 PM
I could pull something up. All I need to know are the specifics of the lycanthropy in question, and if their were-halves are different animals.

Specifically, it's due to a cursed sword owned by the BBEG-specifically, being hit by it during his activation of it-and it causes them to develop lycanthropy specific to their totem animal-yeah, they're different animals.

Also, if natural attacks would be forced and if you want the Lycanthrope abilities to be different, now would be a good time to specify.

I'm not sure what you mean.

As for being infected in the first place, I could see it working similarily to a disease's stages in terms of infection. Also, now that they're lycanthropes, they should get used to their new vulnerable 5/10 silver (cancels regeneration until after a short rest) :V

Yah. good idea.

Pirate_King
2008-11-24, 02:15 PM
Also, if natural attacks would be forced and if you want the Lycanthrope abilities to be different, now would be a good time to specify.

I'm pretty sure he means to cover the question of whether or not the character could use his normal abilities in lycanthrope form, or if it would have to use natural attacks, or some other lycanthrope ability. i.e. A cleric that has been infected with lycanthropy can't turn undead in lycanthrope form, and can only attack with claws.

Inyssius Tor
2008-11-24, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it really depends on what you can see your werewolves being able to do.

(Some sort of involuntary multiclassing, maybe?)