PDA

View Full Version : [Martial Power] fighter vs ranger - two weapons

tyfon
2008-11-24, 06:48 AM
Well, I cannot escape comparing Tempest fighter and two-bladed ranger after reading sourcebook. What do You think - personally, I regret that I've created Ranger ;/

One question - why now fighter can easily take two-blade fighting style as very basic feat, a feature that was impossible to obtain without being ranger, and that is critical tw ranger build, but in return ranger cannot take +1 hit with offhand weapons, or +1/+2 damage while wearing chainmal (or worse armor) ?

Ealstan
2008-11-24, 09:00 AM
One question - why now fighter can easily take two-blade fighting style as very basic feat, a feature that was impossible to obtain without being ranger, and that is critical tw ranger build, but in return ranger cannot take +1 hit with offhand weapons, or +1/+2 damage while wearing chainmal (or worse armor) ?

Well... It's hard to get that Two weapon fighting style feat, the fighter would have to Paragon multiclass into ranger. So in order for a twf fighter to really do the most damage possible, he'd have to heavily multiclass ranger. Ranger is fine on it's own, it doesn't need to multiclass to do damage. Also, it really behooves the fighter to stick with smal weapons that deal less damage. His ability only triggers off weapons that have the offhand property, so moving up to using one-handed weapons wouldn't really be great for the fighter.

BardicDuelist
2008-11-24, 11:05 AM
Fighter: Less damage, but hits reliably.

Ranger: Still hits reliably, but less so. More damage.

Really, they fit their roles. They do what they should without stepping on each others toes. It gives an option to fighters that, while being slightly sub par for a defender than using a shield, does allow a viable flavor option. It isn't considerably worse, and that's what I like about it. You're not gimping your character because you want to play what you want.