PDA

View Full Version : Warmage Help

D Knight
2008-11-24, 11:38 PM
As the title says i am in need of some help with a warmage/fighter gestalt. Who is curently 3rd lv at the moment. I am using the eclectic learning varient. So can anyone suggest a spell that might help in a drow hunt? thanks for any and all help that you can give me in my time of need.
stats are as followed:
str12
dex13
con18
int17
wis12
cha17
Race is Dream Dwarf

Whiplord
2008-11-25, 12:23 AM
Well, for starters why on earth didn't you put the 18 into your casting stat? It's not a hug difference, but it should still be your first priority.

BobVosh
2008-11-25, 01:27 AM
Well, for starters why on earth didn't you put the 18 into your casting stat? It's not a hug difference, but it should still be your first priority.

I don't know dream dwarf, but seeing that it is a dwarf I bet it has a +2 con. So it started as a 16.

Spell: ...Crap, drawing a blank, and I am at work so I can't look it up. I think it is in Complete Arcane, I know it is in spell compendium. Level 1 wizard spell, see through magic darkness. Touch spell. Last 1 hour per level. Copies the warlock's Devilsight basically.

Ebon Eyes! Hah, I am a champ.

Burley
2008-11-25, 08:42 AM
Take Daylight, when you can. It's a third level spell, and will automatically dispell a Drow's darkness SLA, because it's cast at a higher level.
Plus, any drow will be unable to fight, unless they have those goggles, but they really shouldn't if you're fighting them underground.

Also, since they have spell resistance, stay away from the ray. Orbs will be your best friends always.

weenie
2008-11-25, 10:51 AM
How about switching the Fighter side for Duskblade? More Int based casting and nice class features.

The Mormegil
2008-11-25, 10:59 AM
Str 12 Dex 13 FIGHTER? Gestalt fighter/warmage? No, really, this build strikes me as terribly odd. Are the other party members gestalt too?

D Knight
2008-11-25, 11:05 AM
yes they are. here is the party bulid. also i currently have all lesser orb spells.
warmage/fighter (me) also can anyone halp me max out me guy
warmage/cleric
fighter/ranger
fighter/palidin (i think)

D Knight
2008-11-25, 08:35 PM
Bump.Yes proably not the best group to hunt drow with but so far things have worked out nicely. so any more ideas for spells for my warmage?

Collin152
2008-11-25, 08:54 PM
fighter/ranger
fighter/palidin

You people are doing it all wrong!

D Knight
2008-11-25, 10:19 PM
my group has not had much exp with Gestalt. this might be the second time we have used Gestalt in any of our games.

Draken
2008-11-25, 10:29 PM
Well... Third level. Going fourth. First and second level spells avaiable... Hmm...

True Casting (1° level spell) - Deals with the pesky spell resistance.

Luminous Swarm (2° level spell) - it is funny.

Vigiland Slumber (1° level spell) - because drow slitting your throat while you sleep is just not fun. But it is what should happen.

Yea, no other suggestions right now.

All of these are from Complete Mage.

Edit: But... Hmm... Ecletic learning at 3° level? Blargh. Only things you can chose are cantrips. So go with a classic one, the mother of all spells.

Prestigitation.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-25, 11:29 PM
yes they are. here is the party bulid. also i currently have all lesser orb spells.
warmage/fighter (me) also can anyone halp me max out me guy
warmage/cleric
fighter/ranger
fighter/palidin (i think)

To this, I'll say a few things:

Warmage/Cleric: The worst case of MAD I've ever seen. If his ability scores can support it I guess it could work out, but if not then he'd probably be better off either switching Cleric for Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) or switching out Warmage and dumping Int. Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) is something you should definitely point out to him.

Fighter/Ranger: I could see this working as an archer, but as a TWF build it is destined to fail. He'd better get Iron Will, Mage Slayer, and anything else he can find to boost his Will save, and be sure to get Practiced Spellcaster: Ranger and Natural Bond.

Fighter/Paladin: Holy redundant strengths, Batman! He's created a Paladin with bonus feats, Tower Shield proficiency, and Intimidate as a class skill. Show him the Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm) and hope for the best, because if he's decided to go with this class combination, then he doesn't know how to make the Specialization line of feats worth getting Fighter for.

As for your Warmage/Fighter, what do you want the character to be able to do? Your ability scores won't support a ranged touch/archery specialty, you won't be able to melee your way out of a wet paper bag without Power Attack, you can't use Combat Expertise when casting and that line of feats isn't any good with those ability scores anyway. What are your plans for this character, what do you intend to spend those Fighter bonus feats on?

D Knight
2008-11-26, 12:08 PM
As for your Warmage/Fighter, what do you want the character to be able to do? Your ability scores won't support a ranged touch/archery specialty, you won't be able to melee your way out of a wet paper bag without Power Attack, you can't use Combat Expertise when casting and that line of feats isn't any good with those ability scores anyway. What are your plans for this character, what do you intend to spend those Fighter bonus feats on?

truly i would like to be heavy artilery that blasts the others away because normaly i play the healer of the group, and frankly i am tired of that role. So i am trying something new. my current feats are as followed if that helps.
lighting ref
improve init
spell penatration
greater spell penatration

Woot Spitum
2008-11-26, 04:59 PM
Why not go with a druid/warmage? Druid will add even more blasty spells to your arsenal in addition to giving you some nice battlefield control spells to hold those pesky enemies still while you blow them apart. Wild shape will allow you to focus more on mental scores, while still giving you the opportunity to wade into melee if you so desire.

Trade out lightning reflexes for natural spell and you should be good.

Fostire
2008-11-26, 05:07 PM
Why not go with a druid/warmage? Druid will add even more blasty spells to your arsenal in addition to giving you some nice battlefield control spells to hold those pesky enemies still while you blow them apart. Wild shape will allow you to focus more on mental scores, while still giving you the opportunity to wade into melee if you so desire.

Trade out lightning reflexes for natural spell and you should be good.

He's level 3 he wouldn't get wildshape.

Paul H
2008-11-26, 05:14 PM
Hi

Have played (still playing) a Dwarf Warmage/Cleric/Mystic Theurge mix. Not as powerful as full casters, but his strength lies in his flexibility. Lot of fun in the Living Greyhawk campaign. Only 28 pt buy, but uses lot of CWI to back up low stats.

Back on topic........
Spells like Daylight & the Orb series (both already mentioned), are good, as is Evard's Black tentacles. Good lock-down, no save, no SR.

If you have access to the MIC, then Ring of Darkhidden (Pg 122, 2000gp) is a must. Just don't cast Light spells. The ring prevents you being seen by Darkvision, which Drow depend on. What's the rest of party like - do they need light sources?

Cheers
Paul H

D Knight
2008-11-26, 06:50 PM
the other warmage is the same race as me. the other 2 have a item that the DM gave us since they did not have darkvison. and thanks for the item that might give us the edge we need to kill the frist drow house. also what book is the rod that holds 3 wands in it i can not seem to find it.

Woot Spitum
2008-11-27, 02:25 PM
He's level 3 he wouldn't get wildshape.Well, that makes it something to look forward to later. My basic impression was that he wanted blasting first, tanking second. Druid/warmage starts out with a plethora of blasty spells that should make the wait till level five not at all tedious.