PDA

View Full Version : OGL Sewer System?

sigurd
2008-11-26, 01:26 PM
I'm designing a city and toying with the idea of a way to flush the city sewers into the ocean. I'm guessing they collect salt water for this in tidal pools or water basins. Then, at intervals, they cast Reverse Gravity on the basins and lift the water to other channels to flush the sewers.

Picture of what I'm talking about. (http://wm23.inbox.com/thumbs/69_9fa5d_178fb8e7_oJ.jpg.thumb)

Leaving aside augmentation Reverse Gravity is a 7th level spell so a 12 level wizard can cast it twice and move 70 cubic ft of water. I'm ok with dedicated magic items giving them free augmentations (enlarge, extend etc...) for the purposes of this spell but I wonder if there is a better way. It doesn't have an expensive material focus.

I'd like to work on the water itself in a way that is repeatable and doesn't destroy a mundane sewer.

Can anyone think of an easier, perhaps more sustainable system?

From the SRD:

Reverse Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two levels (S)
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell reverses gravity in an area, causing all unattached objects and creatures within that area to fall upward and reach the top of the area in 1 round. If some solid object (such as a ceiling) is encountered in this fall, falling objects and creatures strike it in the same manner as they would during a normal downward fall. If an object or creature reaches the top of the area without striking anything, it remains there, oscillating slightly, until the spell ends. At the end of the spell duration, affected objects and creatures fall downward.
Provided it has something to hold onto, a creature caught in the area can attempt a Reflex save to secure itself when the spell strikes. Creatures who can fly or levitate can keep themselves from falling.
Arcane Material Component: A lodestone and iron filings.

Lappy9000
2008-11-26, 01:54 PM
You do realize that having wizards whose sole purpose is to flush a gigantic toilet will create a cabal of dirtomancers, right?

Yakk
2008-11-26, 03:13 PM
Do you want there to be Sewermancers?

Is there anything wrong with an enchanted aqueduct that flows water up hill? It generates much the same effect.

If it's rate is constant, but limited, then there could be an 'upwater basin' that is constructed to hold the flush water. Water flows into the tidal basin, up the aqueduct (which maybe only works on salt water, otherwise there would probably be far better uses for it), and into the flush basin.

The flush basin would have locks that would open after it was sufficiently full, which would then flush the sewers. After it had emptied, you'd close the flush basin, and let it refill.

sigurd
2008-11-26, 04:43 PM
I considered a gigantic uphill stream or a constant turning spiral to lift the water. Both are too simple.

1. I want to illustrate things people do to maintain the city. Having something that is always automatic is too easy. Same with just binding some water elementals.

2. I want there to be a seasonal crush of water. Its a story event. A constant current doesn't give me the same game options.

I'd also like to draw the solution from the rules as we have them.

Any cheaper spells? Active solutions?

Sigurd

Demented
2008-11-27, 12:19 AM
What's the problem with a mundane reservoir and floodgates?

No river/rainwater?

You could have a reservoir on a mountain, with floodgates leading to the sewer. Saltwater is pumped there however you like. The giant screw, or a network of smaller screws would work. The reservoir fills up every month (or your preferred time period) and then the floodgates are let loose.

DracoDei
2008-11-27, 07:48 AM
You checked the stats on Raise/Lower Water?
What about Telekinesis (Sustained Force)?
Come to that Create Water is a zeroth level spell, which means slapping 7 levels or so of Metamagic on it might actually make more sense...

And if the city can take it... just set a few Control Weather spells to heavy rain and flush in from the existing drainage grates without any special structures needed (assuming the sewers and the storm drains are the same system... which in D&D seems plausible).

Yakk
2008-11-27, 01:49 PM
12th level casters should have better things to do?