PDA

View Full Version : Brown and Green Dots

Shades of Gray
2008-11-26, 08:27 PM
I've noticed next the the forums list (A+C, Homebrew, SMBG, etc...) there are green and brown footprints next to them. Next to threads there are green and brown dots. What do these mean?

Sorry in advance for such a trivial question, thanks in advance.

Ceric
2008-11-26, 08:36 PM
Green dots (or footprints) mean that there are new posts. Brown means there aren't.

(Scroll down to the bottom :smallwink:)

Incidentally, I've noticed that some topics turn brown even though I never click on them. Any ideas on why that happens?

Shades of Gray
2008-11-26, 08:39 PM
*scrolls down*

Doh!

I thought it might be something like that, thanks!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-26, 09:21 PM
Incidentally, I've noticed that some topics turn brown even though I never click on them. Any ideas on why that happens?
The read/unread status is based on a cookie stored with your browser. I believe it's based on a comparison with your most recent activity (stored on the cookie) and the last time a given thread was updated. There are a number of factors that can mess with your cookie timestamps. Statements made by Rawhide (I think) in the past have indicated using multiple browser tabs or windows to check multiple threads and forums at once can be a major factor.

Skippy
2008-11-27, 01:08 AM
The ones in bold letters are the ones with read posts since your last visit to the boards. Even if you don't check them, it informs you of the activity everywhere.

Winterwind
2008-11-27, 08:47 AM
Green dots (or footprints) mean that there are new posts. Brown means there aren't.

(Scroll down to the bottom :smallwink:)

Incidentally, I've noticed that some topics turn brown even though I never click on them. Any ideas on why that happens?Because, by my understanding, brown does not mean "no new posts since the last time you read the thread", it means "no new posts since the last time you read the thread or logged off". So, if you log off, everything should turn brown (until it gets posted in again).

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-27, 09:15 AM
The read/unread status is based on a cookie stored with your browser. I believe it's based on a comparison with your most recent activity (stored on the cookie) and the last time a given thread was updated. There are a number of factors that can mess with your cookie timestamps. Statements made by Rawhide (I think) in the past have indicated using multiple browser tabs or windows to check multiple threads and forums at once can be a major factor.

I find they all go brown just after the daily backup.

Zeb The Troll
2008-11-27, 10:01 AM
The ones in bold letters are the ones with read posts since your last visit to the boards. Even if you don't check them, it informs you of the activity everywhere.I have never observed this bold lettering of which you speak. I'll keep an eye out for it now though.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-27, 10:09 AM
So, if you log off, everything should turn brown (until it gets posted in again).
Yeah, that's 'cause the cookies that store your last activity get erased when you log off. So logging off falls in the category of "factors that can mess with your cookie timestamps."

I've never really noticed any change after the daily backup. But then I do use the tabbed browsing, so I've long since stopped trusting the "read/unread" indicator.

Shades of Gray
2008-11-27, 05:27 PM
So the best thing to do...

Never leave the forum:smallbiggrin: