PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept help

jguy
2008-11-28, 04:19 PM
Okay, I need a little help on fleshing out my idea for character I have planned.

For anyone that saw my thread about "Needing help from more experienced players" then you all know how my group can be a bunch of A-Holes sometimes. Well, that led me to thinking of rolling this character.

I first thought of this guy when I read Heroes of Horrors and found the deity Cas, god of revenge. I thought of rolling a cleric that basically paid back every little thing in full which would let me get a little payback on my fellow players. Looking at Cas's alignment, and the fact I kinda suck at playing any dude that's remotely evil unless I go full on psycho, I thought I was kinda screwed. Then I remembered that a cleric can worship an idea or ideal and still get his powers. I plan on running my dude with the idea of "Always respond in kind" or "Pay back every debt" kind of thing.

I need help from some people here on picking out some things. What would be appropriate domains for this? As for alignment, I was thinking true neutral or Lawful Neutral [he judges by his own law and such].

Oh, being still pretty new to the game, I don't know a lot of 'must have' feats and spells for a cleric, so any suggestions would be wonder.

On an entirely different note, what the hell does RAW and every other acronym in this place mean? I have no idea.

Yukitsu
2008-11-28, 04:25 PM
RAW= rules as written = rules lawyer speak
RAI= rules as intended = people who make stuff up speak

As for the character, that sort of concept won't make things better. Better to play one that won't die, but can't help, so when your freinds character is on fire and dying, and you say you can't help, it will be true.

jguy
2008-11-28, 04:34 PM
I don't want to make things better honestly

VerdugoExplode
2008-11-28, 04:34 PM
I would like to know why you want to get payback on your fellow players. Are they actively doing things to make your characters life more difficult, stealing your stuff, things of that sort? If they are then you may have more problems than a simple character can fix.

As for cleric ideas look at St. Cuthbert as the example deity for your cleric. He is the prime god of making sure things even out at the end concerning himself with justice and retribution.

Keld Denar
2008-11-28, 04:41 PM
Yea man, being vindictive isn't gonna make them like you any more. If they are already jerks, there is very little you can do to make them like you or respect you IRL any more than they already do (which sounds like litte). Being a jerk IC might piss them off even more, and inspire them to new levels of douchery.

Seriously, sit down with one or two of them outside of game time and ask them why they feel they have to be jerks IC or OOC to you. If its cause they really don't like you, quit playing with them. If they are just natually abrasive, then either quit playing with them or toughen up. If they do it because they like to get a rise out of you, then toughen up.

If you want to play a character that gets them on your good side, play a really strong support character. Build a dependancy. Make them realize that you can be a contributing member of the party, carry your own weight and then some. Then maybe they'll realize that you are a valuable member of the group and the party, and might lay off your case a bit.

I highly recommend a caster cleric, badass bard, or strong Batman wizard for this role. Each are strong contributers to the group by enabling allies and disabling foes. Sure, you might not rank high on the damage charts, but thats not where the real power lies. Real power lies in dependance, and once they become dependant on your buffs, or your crowd control, or your disabling abilities, they might come to respect you.

Now, does this sound like a better idea than just grabbing a bigger stick than them?

I don't want to make things better honestly

Best of luck then. I know I for one am not really interested in helping if you won't even help yourself.

jguy
2008-11-28, 05:35 PM
*shrugs* It's weird. We're all good friends and such in RL, it just changes when it comes to the D&D realm. It's kinda a sink and swim with them.

Oh, and you seem to have mistook me. If they treat me well, I'll buff the crap out of them. I'll be the best damn cleric for the party there is. But at least with this 'ideal' I can just as easily switch on them if they pull most of the stuff they usually do.