PDA

View Full Version : Icarian Flight (Spell)

JellyPooga
2008-11-29, 02:12 PM
Icarian Flight

School: Transmutation [Wild]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Targets: You and one other creature touched per three levels
Duration: 10 Minutes/Level (see text)
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject(s) gain a fly speed of ([1d6+1]x10)ft, modified as usual for medium or heavy armour or encumbrance. Roll separately for each target at the time of casting to determine that subjects speed for the duration of the spell. It's (their) maneuverability is Good. The subject of Icarian Flight can charge, but may not run or carry aloft more weight than their maximum load.
Should the spells duration expire, the spell be dispelled, negated or otherwise ended whilst a subject is still aloft, they fall as per the normal rules for falling.
At the end of any round a subject of this spell is at a height greater than 10ft above the ground, there is a cumulative 2% per 5ft above 10ft off the ground chance that the spell ends (i.e. 2% at 15ft off the ground, 4% at 20ft, 6% at 25ft, etc. up to a maximum of 100% at 260ft above ground level). Each subject rolls separately and if the spell ends for one subject, it does not neccesarily end for other subjects of the spell.

I offer this spell for criticism more as an introduction to an idea for a new sub-school of spells...namely; Wild Spells. In short, Wild spells are roughly comparable to existing spells (and of similar level), but have a significant random element that is potentially dangerous to, harmful or otherwise negative for the caster and/or subject of the spell.

Using the above spell as an example;

Base Spell: Fly (Level 3)

Normally grants: 40ft Fly Speed for 1 minute/level, safe landing if dispelled/ended

Wild Spell grants: 20-70ft Fly Speed for 10 minutes/level, chance of spell failure with increased height, no safe landing

As you can see, potential is higher but at the cost of also having lower potential and poor safety...this is the theme of Wild Spells; unreliable, unsafe but likely more powerful than its safer, more reliable counterpart.

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for ideas as to where I could take this;
-What spells might make good Wild Spells?
-Is there potential for Feats and/or (Prestige) Class Features?
-If so, any ideas/suggestions?

I do have some ideas of my own, but I prefer to get a few fresh/raw ideas before refining and presenting mine!

Cheers,

JP