PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k Vs. Lovecraftian Horrors

Trizap
2008-11-30, 01:03 AM
who would win?

Piedmon_Sama
2008-11-30, 01:06 AM
The mortals all go insane... the gods shrug and go about their business because they're generally otherwise preoccupied...

Seriously there are things in the Lovecraft Mythos like Yog Sothoth that don't physically exist as we understand it. How does something like that "fight?" Or Azathoth, which doesn't do anything but keep the universe going by dreaming and has no consciousness/will to speak of.... you might want to narrow your focus a bit.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-30, 01:07 AM
But 40k already has Lovecraftian horrors.

Verruckt
2008-11-30, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure they're doing this already, ever seen a greater daemon of tzeentch?

TSGames
2008-11-30, 01:45 AM
I'm pretty sure they're doing this already, ever seen a greater daemon of tzeentch?

Seen it? Man, I hang out with him on weekends. That Jessie (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=081011), he's a real card.

chiasaur11
2008-11-30, 01:51 AM
The winner?

Well, my money is on Cain and Jurgen.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-11-30, 02:18 AM
Lovecraftian horrors, that ones easy.

Boy scouts with water pistols v 40K

Boy scouts

Toddlers v 40K

Toddlers

Lets not even get into what happens when we start introducing real fighters ...

KnightDisciple
2008-11-30, 02:18 AM
The winner?

Well, my money is on Cain and Jurgen.

And possibly Amberly Vail. But only because Cain's there.

RPGuru1331
2008-11-30, 02:27 AM
Isn't this like asking whether Wilford Brimley can fistfight every single American Actor, including Wilford Brimley?

Wizzardman
2008-11-30, 03:30 AM
Lovecraftian horrors, that ones easy.

Boy scouts with water pistols v 40K

Boy scouts

Toddlers v 50K

Toddlers

Lets not even get into what happens when we start introducing real fighters ...

I dunno about the toddlers. Those metal figures get pretty sharp, and are definitely chocking hazards. It appears our Toddlerian friends may take a few casualties in this battle.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-11-30, 03:37 AM
I dunno about the toddlers. Those metal figures get pretty sharp, and are definitely chocking hazards. It appears our Toddlerian friends may take a few casualties in this battle.

Granted, but they would reign supreme!

Athaniar
2008-11-30, 05:55 AM
This thread requires more specification. Is it the entire 40K universe vs. all horrific things in the Lovecraft mythos we are talking about?

Verruckt
2008-11-30, 06:11 AM
This thread requires more specification. Is it the entire 40K universe vs. all horrific things in the Lovecraft mythos we are talking about?

this, again, is pretty much already happening.

hamishspence
2008-11-30, 06:17 AM
Azathoth the Daemon Sultan, as the most powerful of the Outer Gods, is also very, very stupid (Int 3 in CoCD20)

matching him against Tzeentch, he might not come out ahead.

Nyarlathothep the Crawling Chaos, on the other hand, could be a worthy adversary for The Great Manipulator.

The Great Old Ones have more in common with Greater Daemons imprisoned on the mortal plane- their dreams seep into the minds of mortals. A bit like the one in the Ephrael Stern book one- who the Sisters of Battle are experimenting on.

Actually, going by the New 40K Heresy era book Mechanicum the C'tan fit the Great Old Ones even better, with the Void Dragon's dreams creating an entire cult whose representatives worship him unknowingly and are spread throughout the galaxy.

Verruckt
2008-11-30, 07:27 AM
Azathoth the Daemon Sultan, as the most powerful of the Outer Gods, is also very, very stupid (Int 3 in CoCD20)

matching him against Tzeentch, he might not come out ahead.

Nyarlathothep the Crawling Chaos, on the other hand, could be a worthy adversary for The Great Manipulator.

The Great Old Ones have more in common with Greater Daemons imprisoned on the mortal plane- their dreams seep into the minds of mortals. A bit like the one in the Ephrael Stern book one- who the Sisters of Battle are experimenting on.

Actually, going by the New 40K Heresy era book Mechanicum the C'tan fit the Great Old Ones even better, with the Void Dragon's dreams creating an entire cult whose representatives worship him unknowingly and are spread throughout the galaxy.

Azathoth, a blind horror from beyond the stars that seeks to devour everything. So that's what the core of the Tyrannid armada is...

hamishspence
2008-11-30, 07:41 AM
the similarities between some Lovecraftian and some 40K concepts are strong.

Then of course you've got Cthugha, Lord of the Fire Vampires, who dwells within the star Fomulhaut.

charl
2008-11-30, 07:48 AM
As has been stated, this is already happening. Cthulhu or whatever would get up, look really scary... then get really surprised as the humans don't care and just go about their business as usual.
"But I'm about to end all life as you know it!"
"Get in line, squid-face."

Then the Space Marines would swoop in and kill Cthulhu. With fire.

hamishspence
2008-11-30, 07:50 AM
or Ciaphas Cain would end up facing it, whereupon we get tropes like

Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?

charl
2008-11-30, 07:57 AM
or Ciaphas Cain would end up facing it, whereupon we get tropes like

Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?

Ciaphas Cain eats ancient eldritch horrors for breakfast. So says the Imperial propaganda.

Bryn
2008-11-30, 08:07 AM
Ciaphas Cain eats ancient eldritch horrors for breakfast. So says the Imperial propaganda.

Citizen, you are coming dangerously near heresy. The holy Imperium would never use propaganda. There are no such things as eldritch horrors, though Ciaphas Cain would certainly eat them for breakfast if there were.

Please proceed to your local Adeptus Arbites centre for re-education, and henceforth practice flagellation for a period no less than twenty-seven days.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-30, 08:22 AM
It would be a very slow defeat for the Imperium of Man.

Fan
2008-11-30, 08:26 AM
Cthulhu awakens. Azathoth awakens. EVERYTHING ends. Nope.... Dont care what kind of gods you got.
Its CTHULHU... When he awakens Azathoth awakens... then it all ends. Like it never was.

Destro_Yersul
2008-11-30, 08:33 AM
Tzeentch had them over for poker on Friday. They all had a great time, plotting the downfall of existence and playing cards, except that Nurgle oozed on the pretzels and Khorne tore the table in half because he lost an important hand. Oh, and Slaanesh spent the whole time staring at Cthulu. But yeah, great time. :smallbiggrin:

Fan
2008-11-30, 08:35 AM
Azathoth dreaming is the only reason beings like Slannesh were even birthed. No offense, but these guys are the end of all things ever... Then they will end the end of all thigns ever literally endign all things ever,

Destro_Yersul
2008-11-30, 08:44 AM
Azathoth dreaming is the only reason beings like Slannesh were even birthed. No offense, but these guys are the end of all things ever... Then they will end the end of all thigns ever literally endign all things ever,

Tzeentch: "Just as planned." :smalltongue:

Eerie
2008-11-30, 12:09 PM
It was discussed already.

God-Emperor of Man is an Avatar of Cthulhu. He is sleeping on Earth and being fed human souls. Yes, the Imperium is more sinister than you thought. :smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 12:28 PM
As has been stated, this is already happening. Cthulhu or whatever would get up, look really scary... then get really surprised as the humans don't care and just go about their business as usual.
"But I'm about to end all life as you know it!"
"Get in line, squid-face."

Then the Space Marines would swoop in and kill Cthulhu. With fire.

This.

It's not an instant win for the Lovecraftians (instant lose for the Imperium, whatever) because the Eldritch Horrors are from a different cosmology. If Azathoth awakens, sure the world ends, but that's the world he comes from, not the world of 40K. It's a fundamental concept of Vs. threads that the sides are usually supposed to be on "neutral ground" - though what neutral ground is when one side is an entire universe gets very hazy.

hamishspence
2008-11-30, 12:39 PM
"the omnissiah" already fits this: in codex Necrons- lives are already being sacrificed to the "pulsing green heart of the machine" and Chaos lord abaddon, observing this through an unpleasant scrying method, laughs gratingly.

so, in that sense, 40K has its own dreaming, lovecraftian, alien horror asleep in the heart of the imperium.

GoC
2008-11-30, 12:50 PM
Cthulhu awakens. Azathoth awakens. EVERYTHING ends. Nope.... Dont care what kind of gods you got.
Its CTHULHU... When he awakens Azathoth awakens... then it all ends. Like it never was.

And then Squirrel Girl or the care-bears awaken and beat them all with fluffy critters!:smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2008-11-30, 01:10 PM
the descriptions of the Dragon's sanctum in Mechanicum are very Lovecraftian- impossible angles and distances and whatnot.

Somebloke
2008-11-30, 02:20 PM
The Mechanicum book is lying in my bag right now...I promised myself that I'd finish another book first, but I think I'll forfeit that after reading this thread...

hamishspence
2008-11-30, 02:30 PM
you will probably like.

best to try and avoid spoilers on the subject- if you want to keep some things a surprise. there are some other surprises in the book.

Somebloke
2008-12-02, 04:36 PM
Finished it.

Liked it quite a lot, although there were moments of atrocious dialogue...but then again, I've always picked up Warhammer books in the knowledge that I would not be reading Twain. All in all a solid, switch off the brain and indulge the fanboy book.

hamishspence
2008-12-02, 04:38 PM
and does the Dragon fit well into the Lovecraftian Horror type, despite being very much a creature of the material world, to you?

Seraph
2008-12-02, 04:58 PM
this is kind of a tough question, as lovecraftian horrors run the gamut of power without any pattern, ranging from "will kill everyone on earth because mankind's collective psychic howls of agony are vaguely pleasant" to "will unthinkingly obliterate the universe by yawning." Cthulhu would certainly ruin the **** of a few dozen imperium ships, certainly, whereas Azathoth merely thinking about the possibility of showing up to the 40k party would wipe the Imperium from existence, God Emperor or no.

Moff Chumley
2008-12-02, 07:37 PM
I'm with the people who say that this topic is redundant.