PDA

View Full Version : America's Greatest State... Help!

Felixaar
2008-11-30, 03:56 AM
I'm trying to pick a good state to be the previous residency of a character of mine. It's got to be a good state, for some reason. Any suggestions?

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-30, 05:13 AM
How are you defining "good" states? The problem is that the term can be highly subjective (eg: some people may like Montana because it's as empty as it is, but some people would prefer more densly populated states like New York, and the weather can vary a lot between states).

Pyrian
2008-11-30, 05:43 AM
California, of course. :smallcool:

ghost_warlock
2008-11-30, 06:01 AM
For RW games, I typically choose Podunk, Indiana as my character's home town. It's geographically similar/close to where I actually live as well as an allusion to a SNES RPG I really enjoyed back-in-the-day (Secret of Evermore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_evermore)).

Felixaar
2008-11-30, 06:17 AM
By a good state, I just mean I need one that... sounds right. It's rather an aesthetic choice. I just need people to chuck names out until I hear one that sounds right.

Oh, and it cant be Oregon.

California sounds tempting, since it carrys the weight of Pyrian's awesomeness... but I'm not sure.

Keep 'em coming.

(and this is a character for a novel, not a game, btw)

KnightDisciple
2008-11-30, 06:41 AM
Missouri. Texas. Oklahoma. Indiana. Vermont. New Hampshire. Maine. Alabama. Florida. Kentucky.
There. 1/5 of the states. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2008-11-30, 06:42 AM
Ohio. Washington. Virginia. Anything BUT Texas.... Hawaii. Alaska. Some more options.

KnightDisciple
2008-11-30, 06:54 AM
Heh. Texas isn't all bad.
Mostly bad, maybe. But not all. :smallwink:

Midnight Son
2008-11-30, 07:04 AM
I have to say that I love coming from Alaska. Its a great way to get a conversation going, as it is something interesting. (not that I lack in the interesting department, mind)

Killersquid
2008-11-30, 07:10 AM
Make him from West Philadelphia born and raised.

Seriously, I recommend Pennsylvania.

charl
2008-11-30, 07:24 AM
Pfft. Why a state? Make the character from DC or Peurto Rico or Samoa or something instead.

Krytha
2008-11-30, 07:30 AM
I'm going to say Hawaii just because Ive never been and want to go.

arguskos
2008-11-30, 07:41 AM
Pfft. Why a state? Make the character from DC or Peurto Rico or Samoa or something instead.
Just gotta be difficult eh? :smallwink:

Heh. Texas isn't all bad.
Mostly bad, maybe. But not all.
Eh... come here and tell me that. I hate this state... damn scholarships and stuff. :smallannoyed: I'll be pleased when I have the money to move to Washington (ye gods, I love Seattle), and until then, everywhere sucks.

charl
2008-11-30, 07:52 AM
Just gotta be difficult eh? :smallwink:

While we are at it, why an American? There's a lot of other countries out there, you know. Some are even anglophone.

Aidan305
2008-11-30, 07:52 AM
From an outsiders point of view, I'd say denial. :smalltongue:

Otherwise Oklahoma. After all, everyone knows it's OK.

KnightDisciple
2008-11-30, 07:53 AM
Eh... come here and tell me that. I hate this state... damn scholarships and stuff. :smallannoyed: I'll be pleased when I have the money to move to Washington (ye gods, I love Seattle), and until then, everywhere sucks.

Well, I lived there for 4 years while I went to school, and I've visited family down there before. :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-30, 08:07 AM
North-Dakota or south-Dakota:smallamused:

afroakuma
2008-11-30, 08:14 AM
Ontario! :smallbiggrin:

Illinois! New Jersey!

arguskos
2008-11-30, 08:30 AM
Well, I lived there for 4 years while I went to school, and I've visited family down there before. :smallamused:
I live here currently... out of curiosity, where were you in the state? I'm in Dallas, so perhaps it's just the city making me insane.

While we are at it, why an American? There's a lot of other countries out there, you know. Some are even anglophone.
You just live to make me grind my teeth. :smalltongue: Also, in this spirit, I suggest New Brunswick.

LCR
2008-11-30, 08:34 AM
Why not Rhode Island? I hear it's a lovely place.

Mad Mask
2008-11-30, 08:36 AM
British Columbia; it's in America, isn't it ? :smallbiggrin: (I know it's a province)

If it's only United States of America, maybe Ohio ? It sounds neat.

rubakhin
2008-11-30, 08:41 AM
Hint: It's not Connecticut.

Massachusetts and Vermont are nice though. I also liked New York and New Jersey.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-30, 08:44 AM
British Columbia; it's in America, isn't it ? :smallbiggrin:

It's a province, not a state.

charl
2008-11-30, 09:12 AM
Brazil is in America and has states (so does Mexico I think). In that spirit, I suggest Rio Grande do Sul.

KnightDisciple
2008-11-30, 09:39 AM
I live here currently... out of curiosity, where were you in the state? I'm in Dallas, so perhaps it's just the city making me insane.

Longview. I went to LeTourneau.
I've been through/to Dallas a few times; the traffic there alone is enough to drive one mad.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 09:40 AM
Assachusetts is certainly not a good state to come from. There hasn't been anything significant about this place since we got our independence.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-11-30, 09:45 AM
Make him a Torontonian. Seriously.

UserClone
2008-11-30, 10:13 AM
*A-choo!* Y'know, I hear the sewers in Connecticut are really nice.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-30, 10:16 AM
I live here currently... out of curiosity, where were you in the state? I'm in Dallas, so perhaps it's just the city making me insane..
What's it with all these gitp'ers living in me?! Staying in me can do that to you.

Longview. I went to LeTourneau.
I've been through/to Dallas a few times; the traffic there alone is enough to drive one mad.
Yep, you won't believe the traffic control I have to do with all the diseases and such.
Also,
Madness, MADNESS?

THIS IS ME!:smalltongue:

someonenonotyou
2008-11-30, 10:17 AM
Michigan! is the state for you

Zakama
2008-11-30, 10:22 AM
No one's mentioned the great state of Wisconsin? *dons cheese-hat*

Do you want this guy to be from a small, medium or big town? If small, I recommend La Pointe. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Pointe,_Ashland_County,_Wisconsin) Medium? Green Bay. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay,_Wisconsin) Large? Milwaukee, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee) or you could go down to Chicago.

Mr. Mud
2008-11-30, 10:27 AM
Maryland! You can always add in some boring filler about the United States Naval Academy, or St. John's College if he lives in Annapolis. Sailing Capital of the world, and we have crab chips. Who doesn't like crab chips? :smallbiggrin:

TRM
2008-11-30, 10:28 AM
I second Washington; I've heard that it's very nice, very, very nice.

Tormsskull
2008-11-30, 10:31 AM
Just had to make sure someone positively mentioned Michigan already. With lower and upper peninsulas, its like 2 states in 1!

Jack Squat
2008-11-30, 10:43 AM
I'm trying to pick a good state to be the previous residency of a character of mine. It's got to be a good state, for some reason. Any suggestions?

What's the character? It wouldn't really make sense to have some educated rich kid coming from Montana or the Dakotas, nor a thug coming from Maine or Kansas.

Although My vote goes to Washington or Colorado. I've always thought of those as cool places.

Dacia Brabant
2008-11-30, 11:08 AM
What's the character? It wouldn't really make sense to have some educated rich kid coming from Montana or the Dakotas, nor a thug coming from Maine or Kansas.

Um, there are smart, well-off people in the upper Midwest/Rockies, and violent crime in the Northeast and the Heartlands. Yes stereotypes exist, but why write stereotypically?

But yeah, I think you should just make your character from a place you're at least familiar with, so that when people who live there read your story they won't think you're ignorant.

Mr. Mud
2008-11-30, 11:21 AM
Um, there are smart, well-off people in the upper Midwest/Rockies, and violent crime in the Northeast and the Heartlands. Yes stereotypes exist, but why write stereotypically?

But yeah, I think you should just make your character from a place you're at least familiar with, so that when people who live there read your story they won't think you're ignorant.

The problem is that most people are stereotypical, and, to have a Kingpin in Little Rock, is sorta unexpected to the average reader... That's why you should pick a neutral place, like Maryland! (:smallwink:)

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 11:35 AM
The problem is that most people are stereotypical, and, to have a Kingpin in Little Rock, is sorta unexpected to the average reader... That's why you should pick a neutral place, like Maryland! (:smallwink:)

Maryland is south. Hence, there are rednecks.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-11-30, 12:29 PM
how about Pahrump Nevada. (and no I don't live in NV)

CMOTDibbler
2008-11-30, 12:33 PM
Missouri! Definately. We're awesome. Of course, so is New York, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Arizona,...

Vagnarok
2008-11-30, 12:40 PM
I believe that Minnesota is the best state for your character, and here's why:

1. Not a lot of stuff comes from here. It will be original and pique the people's interest.

2. There is a large range of population density, from the sparse (towns of 90) to the big city (Minneapolis/St. Paul). This gives you great flexibility when determining your characters background.

3. People are nice here, and they generally have a greater consideration for other people. People would like your character more because he wouldn't be as much of a **** as someone from NY, NY.

4. The seasons are greatly varied here, which allows for interesting anecdotes having to do with varied weather patterns.

If you need more reasons just let me know!

MN RULES! <obligatory shout out.

Tirian
2008-11-30, 02:55 PM
If the story is taking place in Oregon, then the coolest state to have come from would definitely be Vermont. Maybe Maine, but that's just a little too much, I think. (In the same way, Minnesotans are stereotypical versions of Indianans Hoosiers.)

SweetLikeLemons
2008-11-30, 03:00 PM
I second Minnesota! Although, I do have to quibble with the nice thing. "Minnesota Nice" is not always the same as being genuinely nice. Sometimes it is about being passive-aggressive. See, the thing is that people in MN want to be perceived as nice, even if they are being jerks. People in Minnesota are just as capable of being a-holes as anyone else, the only difference is they will smile at you at the same time. Of course, there are also plenty of genuinely warm and caring people, too.

Another reason to pick Minnesota: Minnesotans are rabid about their state. If they see Minnesota mentioned on the book jacket, that may be reason enough to pick up the book. Of course, they may also be on the lookout for anything you got wrong, but once they've bought it, they are free to nitpick all they want, right?

And yes, MN does RULE! (But so does Alaska!)

Inyssius Tor
2008-11-30, 03:05 PM

I kind of like Austin, myself. It's a widely held belief here that we're not as bad as the rest of Texas.

Zakama
2008-11-30, 03:06 PM
I second Minnesota! Although, I do have to quibble with the nice thing. "Minnesota Nice" is not always the same as being genuinely nice. Sometimes it is about being passive-aggressive. See, the thing is that people in MN want to be perceived as nice, even if they are being jerks. People in Minnesota are just as capable of being a-holes as anyone else, the only difference is they will smile at you at the same time. Of course, there are also plenty of genuinely warm and caring people, too.

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_rofl3.gif

RTGoodman
2008-11-30, 03:07 PM
Maryland is south. Hence, there are rednecks.

Oh, please - Maryland is NOT in the South. Yeah, it's below the Mason-Dixon Line, but I don't think ANYONE in the South will admit to it being part of our section of the country. :smalltongue:

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion - NC might only work if your character is supposed to be a laid-off furniture worker or out-of-business tobacco farmer, or something like that. :smallsigh:

Thes Hunter
2008-11-30, 03:09 PM
Michigan! is the state for you

I must highly concurr!:smallcool:

Zakama
2008-11-30, 03:10 PM
I must highly concurr!:smallcool:

Thes! You live in Wisconsin! Don't betray us! :smalleek:

Ash08
2008-11-30, 03:14 PM
depending on the genre of the book depends on the setting. For example, urban fantasy or anything urban would do better in some states than others for example New York state is a lot more urban than Kansas. But if its more wild choose one of the more wild states. And as others have said, make sure that the state fits the character.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-30, 03:15 PM
Anything BUT Texas....
This gets my support.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-11-30, 03:18 PM

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_rofl3.gif

Watch it, cheesehead. I don't think Wisconsin is any better in that department.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:20 PM
Oh, please - Maryland is NOT in the South. Yeah, it's below the Mason-Dixon Line, but I don't think ANYONE in the South will admit to it being part of our section of the country. :smalltongue:

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion - NC might only work if your character is supposed to be a laid-off furniture worker or out-of-business tobacco farmer, or something like that. :smallsigh:

According to us northerners, Maryland people are from the south. And because they're all from the south, they're STUPID. :smalltongue:

Zakama
Watch it, cheesehead. I don't think Wisconsin is any better in that department.

Nevertheless, it's funny :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
Thes! You live in Wisconsin! Don't betray us! :smalleek:

My current state of residence is Wisconsin/Minnesota, but I am, and will always be a Michigander.

Let's Go Blue!

:smallwink:

Actually currently I am back home in Michigan. Been loving being back in my Ann Arbor. :smallbiggrin:

Raistlin1040
2008-11-30, 03:23 PM
Washington State, stand up!

*Stands up*
*Feels awkward, sits back down quietly*

Nah, it's nice here. Seattle, y'know, big city, but it's not ridiculously big, like stuff in New York or California. Pretty nice environmentally as well.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:24 PM
Washington State, stand up!

*Stands up*
*Feels awkward, sits back down quietly*

Nah, it's nice here. Seattle, y'know, big city, but it's not ridiculously big, like stuff in New York or California. Pretty nice environmentally as well.

Yes, but no good bands come from Seattle. Except maybe Queensryche.

Griever
2008-11-30, 03:25 PM
What's with all the Texas hate, now? :smallfrown:

Ah well, damn Yankees, they don't know good states from the bad!

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-30, 03:25 PM
According to us northerners, Maryland people are from the south. And because they're all from the south, they're STUPID. :smalltongue:

See, but the South doesn't want them either.
And Maryland remained in he Union during the civil war.
Therefore, they might as well be part of the north.
((I miss the North v.v))

Heart and Death Cab For Cutie are from Seattle, yeah?

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:27 PM
See, but the South doesn't want them either.
And Maryland remained in he Union during the civil war.
Therefore, they might as well be part of the north.
((I miss the North v.v))

Yet my northern elitist instincts tell me that they're stupid southerners. :smalltongue:

Jenkins
2008-11-30, 03:28 PM
:snip:
Actually currently I am back home in Michigan. Been loving being back in my Ann Arbor. :smallbiggrin:

Hey, I live right by Ann Arbor. Go out there all the time.

I must agree with the highly intelligent people that have suggested Michigan. Wonderful place.

Mordokai
2008-11-30, 03:28 PM
Florida, 'cause it's nice and warm there.

Alaska, 'cause I actually preffer cold to heat.

Alabama, 'cause it's sweet home.

Hawaii, 'cause Aloha has that nice sound to it.

Arizona, 'cause it plain sounds cool.

Those would be my five choices. Buuuuut... what do I know.

Raistlin1040
2008-11-30, 03:31 PM
Jimi Hendrix. Heart. Nirvana. Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains. Soundgarden (Who I hate, but are apparentely good), to name a few.

Zakama
2008-11-30, 03:33 PM
Jimi Hendrix

That was pretty much all you needed right there.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:34 PM
Jimi Hendrix. Heart. Nirvana. Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains. Soundgarden (Who I hate, but are apparentely good), to name a few.

There, now you have good stuff on that list. And Jimi is more of a man than an actual band. :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-30, 03:37 PM
There, now you have good stuff on that list. And Jimi is more of a man than an actual band. :smalltongue:

I disown you.

RTGoodman
2008-11-30, 03:38 PM
Alright, dragonprime, I propose a compromise - neither the North nor the South will claim Maryland. From now on, it's part of its own region that no one else has to worry about. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:40 PM
Alright, dragonprime, I propose a compromise - neither the North nor the South will claim Maryland. From now on, it's part of its own region that no one else has to worry about. :smallbiggrin:

So we're including all of Maryland into Washington DC?

I disown you.

For what? The Hendrix comment (which is true), or the removal of bands from the list of good bands?

Mordokai
I disown you.

Can I get his stuff?

Tirian
Yet my northern elitist instincts tell me that they're stupid southerners. :smalltongue:

I don't think you've been there. It's no different than Delaware or South Jersey along the coast, and I don't think it is even all that Appalachian inlands.

The boundary is in north-central Virginia, somewhere aound Charlottesville.

charl
2008-11-30, 03:41 PM
Europe! Preferably Scandinavia, but any predominately Germanic speaking country is fine. I don't care for those Romantic speakers. Slavs are fine.

OverdrivePrime
2008-11-30, 03:42 PM
The knife of betrayal is icy indeed!

I support my fellow Wisconsinites and put forth more reasons why the Badger State is the Union's most glorious.

Science! Our stem cell research rocks the world, and we have a high degree of scientific literacy in general, thanks to a robust state university system.

Cheese! Good gracious, our cheeses are awesome. Seriously. Those wimpy California cows have no experience with hardship to draw upon, and thus make lousy artists.

Bratwurst! Hot dogs are for suckers. Stellar humans eat brats, and ours are the envy of the nation.

Beer! Forget Miller and other macrobrew embarrassments. Check out Lakefront, Tyranena, Ale Asylum, Sprecher, Sand Creek, New Glarus, and other Wisconsin microbreweries and your opinion of American beer will permanently change for the better.

Gaming! TSR made its home base in Wisconsin, as did Gen Con for years. Numerous gaming artists still call the Lake Geneva area their home.

Entertainment! The 'Sconnie accent is easily recognizable and fun to imitate.

Raistlin1040
2008-11-30, 03:43 PM
Can I get his stuff?

We'll split it, k?

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:43 PM
Can I get his stuff?

Only if you are fully aware that I may beat you up and get it back. You too Raistlin.

I don't think you've been there. It's no different than Delaware or South Jersey along the coast, and I don't think it is even all that Appalachian inlands.

The boundary is in north-central Virginia, somewhere aound Charlottesville.

Actually I have been there. I'm now just joking about the stereotypes.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-30, 03:45 PM
For what? The Hendrix comment (which is true), or the removal of bands from the list of good bands?

Because music elitists bother the hell out of me, that's why.
Music is music. If its not started by Disney or Nickelodeon, I think its good music, even if I don't particularly like it myself.
I even, on occasion, wanna whack Rai for this, and he's my favorite.

Mordy: His room is down the hall

I would suggest Alaska or Hawaii, except that they're not in the continental US. California is beautiful, but expensive.
Florida is my professional opinion :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2008-11-30, 03:46 PM
Music is music. If its not started by Disney or Nickelodeon, I think its good music, even if I don't particularly like it myself.

I would suggest Alaska or Hawaii, except that they're not in the continental US. California is beautiful, but expensive.
Florida is my professional opinion :smalltongue:

That's not fair, you know I'm trying not to do it as much! I have a 12-step program and everything!

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:47 PM

I wonder, have you not yet realized that NOTHING I say is actually meant? Or that even if I mean it, it's funnier if you assume that I don't? Or let me put it another way:

I'm a lying bastard and nothing I say should be trusted. :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2008-11-30, 03:49 PM
I wonder, have you not yet realized that NOTHING I say is actually meant? Or that even if I mean it, it's funnier if you assume that I don't? Or let me put it another way:

I'm a lying bastard and nothing I say should be trusted. :smalltongue:

So...you really hate metal and jump up and down on your bed singing Hannah Montana and Camp Rock music all day?

Hmm. That explains a lot.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:50 PM
So...you really hate metal and jump up and down on your bed singing Hannah Montana and Camp Rock music all day?

Hmm. That explains a lot.

Britney Spears is also a favorite of mine.

Raistlin1040
2008-11-30, 03:51 PM
I've always preferred Christina Aguilera. She's got SOOOOOO much more talent :smalltongue:

Back on topic, besides Washington, I also throw New Jersey into the ring. Just 'cause I like it.

Roland St. Jude
My current state of residence is Wisconsin/Minnesota, but I am, and will always be a Michigander.

Let's Go Blue!

:smallwink:

Preach on sister! Michigan rules. :smallamused:

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you." I wish I were there now. :smallsigh:

Mordokai
We'll split it, k?

70 - 30. First comes, first served.

Only if you are fully aware that I may beat you up and get it back. You too Raistlin.

And that should worry me... why excatly?

*loots*

Love ya! :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 03:56 PM
I've always preferred Christina Aguilera. She's got SOOOOOO much more talent :smalltongue:

Yeah, Aguilera is pretty awesome. As are the Backstreet Boys.

Alright, I feel unclean. I'm gonna go listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYZzncX-mIQ) to wash myself of this vile filth.

*turns up the volume*

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-11-30, 04:05 PM
If you have a mysterious, fringe sort of character hiding out from the rest of society, Alaska would be good - didn't Wolverine do that?

But I second the guy who said "why a state?" I would say Samoa or Guam or Puerto Rico. Might even help your backstory a little bit if your character has mixed feelings toward the US because of his patriotism but at the same time upset about his second-class citizenship.

(let's not get into any discussion of that though - not even sure if I'm technically correct)

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 04:07 PM
If you have a mysterious, fringe sort of character hiding out from the rest of society, Alaska would be good - didn't Wolverine do that?

But I second the guy who said "why a state?" I would say Samoa or Guam or Puerto Rico. Might even help your backstory a little bit if your character has mixed feelings toward the US because of his patriotism but at the same time upset about his second-class citizenship.

(let's not get into any discussion of that though - not even sure if I'm technically correct)

U.S. Virgin Islands are also a good territory. Or this character could have a parent in the military, so they were always living abroad on some base.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-11-30, 04:23 PM
I believe that Minnesota is the best state for your character, and here's why:

1. Not a lot of stuff comes from here. It will be original and pique the people's interest.

MN RULES! <obligatory shout out.

I agree with the latter statement from the quote above, but certainly not the former.

Just to name a few well know companies based here in the state, are 3M, Best Buy, Cargill, Caribou Coffee, Fantasy Flight Games, General Mills, Hormel, Land o Lakes, and Target.

Preach on sister! Michigan rules. :smallamused:

I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one...GO BUCKEYES!!!! The Domination over Meechiken continues.

Coidzor
2008-11-30, 04:29 PM
Kinda depends on the character, now doesn't it? If it's a city-fied character, there are only a few great cities in the Continental US, all others either lack something, are too small to be considered, or lack reputation. And thus, only a few states that such cities could be found in.

If looking for podunk, then, again, there are only a few places in the midwest or upper west where that would come into play without having to take place in the South.

So, what do you want? If the character's place of origin/birth/locality in which he grew up does not figure into the story at all, then you should just wiki it and pick the name that sounds the best when you say it out loud as a tentative placeholder until you run it by whoever you've captured to run things by.

Mr. Moon
2008-11-30, 04:38 PM
Yeah, Aguilera is pretty awesome. As are the Backstreet Boys.

*saves, to use as blackmail later*

Rama_Lei
2008-11-30, 04:43 PM
Go with something neutral like Colorado or Vermont.

Also, as a former Michgander myself, I'd recommend only making your character live there while our sports teams are doing good. a.k.a not right know. U of M and the Lions are being decimated form what I hear. I recommend sometimes when the Red wings are playing.

Gaelbert
2008-11-30, 04:58 PM
California. Hands down. We have pretty much everything here. Fertile agricultural valleys and farming, deserts, mountains, coastal regions... even rainforests. We have plenty of big cities, medium cities, small cities, wilderness, anything. We even have happy cows and the best cheese!

Although I've been to Alaska before and it was pretty amazing.

turkishproverb
2008-11-30, 05:14 PM
Confusion. Definitely Confusion.

Aystra
2008-11-30, 05:25 PM
Hawaii and California. :smallsmile:

starwoof
2008-11-30, 05:27 PM
Washington! We only have 3 colors here!

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 05:28 PM

*saves, to use as blackmail later*

I can always not give that dance involving $2 tips if you use it against me...

Mr. Moon
2008-11-30, 05:43 PM
Ah, Dragonprime, you tempt me.

But, nay. I think I'll save this little nugget for the next time you decide to leave. :smallamused:

Doran_Liadon
2008-11-30, 05:46 PM
You can't go wrong with Cali.:smallcool:

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 05:48 PM
Ah, Dragonprime, you tempt me.

But, nay. I think I'll save this little nugget for the next time you decide to leave. :smallamused:

You sure? Because I'll whisper whisper whisper... however many times you want. :smallamused:

Mr. Moon
2008-11-30, 06:13 PM
O mai.

I didn't think even you would sink that far, DP.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 06:46 PM
O mai.

I didn't think even you would sink that far, DP.

It's all for my own good. So do we have a deal?

Allysian
2008-11-30, 06:52 PM
Uggh. Dragonprime. I thougt you were cool. How...how could you call Marylanders rednecks? Man, now when the Revolution comes I'll have to kill you. Darn.
Edit: Whoops!! Forgot to use the :smalltongue: kidding sign. Sorry, but why do you call me redneck? I is sad now. :smallfrown: I am like, the farthest thing from redneck. Rich upbringing(still going on), loving family, angsty teenage years(still goin on). But why? I LYked u! I LYKED YOU!!!!!

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 06:53 PM
Uggh. Dragonprime. I thougt you were cool. How...how could you call Marylanders rednecks? Man, now when the Revolution comes I'll have to kill you. Darn.

It better happen by 2015, because by then I won't be in the US.

Shraik
2008-11-30, 07:18 PM
I say Jersey. and not the bad Jersey, the good jersey. THe Suburbs. I'm from there. A town with 10'000 people, next to a major city, that has a crime rate of 0%. Literally. Parking tickets are the only offences you will get.
What's not great about that?

Mr. Moon
2008-11-30, 07:46 PM
It's all for my own good. So do we have a deal?

I dunno... You may have to sweeten the deal.

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 07:52 PM
I dunno... You may have to sweeten the deal.

But....but...I'm already doing that thing! How much lower do you want me to sink?

Zeful
2008-11-30, 08:13 PM
4. The seasons are greatly varied here, which allows for interesting anecdotes having to do with varied weather patterns.

Obviously you don't live in Minnesota. Other wise you would know that the seasons are: Road Construction, More Road Construction, The End of Road Construction, and Winter.

Killersquid
2008-11-30, 09:40 PM
I say Jersey. and not the bad Jersey, the good jersey. THe Suburbs. I'm from there. A town with 10'000 people, next to a major city, that has a crime rate of 0%. Literally. Parking tickets are the only offences you will get.

Yea, or if you want central, Newark is a good city now I heard.

Also, as a suburban South Jersey boy, living in North Jersey is much different. There's noise, cars, odd accents, and every time I turn on the radio, I get New York and Giants fans.

Pandaren
2008-11-30, 09:41 PM
California, of course. :smallcool:

You needs it, why do you think so many people live here.

Mr. Moon
2008-11-30, 10:11 PM
But....but...I'm already doing that thing! How much lower do you want me to sink?

Just as low as you can go, baby. :smallamused:

Pyrian
2008-11-30, 11:11 PM
Does that mean... Toes!? :smallwink:

Felixaar
2008-11-30, 11:18 PM
hmm, currently tossing up between...

Washington
Colorado
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska
California

Colorado, Wisconsin and Michigan are leading the pack atm...

Jack Squat
2008-11-30, 11:19 PM
Go with Colorado, they have the SGC

Thes Hunter
2008-12-01, 12:52 AM
Michigan is something like the state with the most coastline in the nation.

There are two pennisulas, the lower is very urban with Detroit, while the upper is rural, and is very "north woods" like. With wolves, bear, bald eagles and lots of pine forests.

The lower penny has bears and elk and such, but I believe the number of wolves are debatable. But the really crazy wildlife isn't anything further south than Lansing.

Though coyotes are all over the place.

Alarra
2008-12-01, 01:01 AM
North-Dakota or south-Dakota:smallamused:
South Dakota would be fun....no one is ever from here. :smallsmile:

Maryland! You can always add in some boring filler about the United States Naval Academy, or St. John's College if he lives in Annapolis. Sailing Capital of the world, and we have crab chips. Who doesn't like crab chips? :smallbiggrin: Maryland's a great place too. Very much fun and would be a good state to be from.

:smallfrown: *is offended* Admittedly, I've only lived in Maryland for 9 months, but they're sooooo not southern. :smallsmile:

Minnesota and Colorado are also great states to be from.

rubakhin
2008-12-01, 08:05 AM

Washington
Colorado
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska
California

*groans* No, not California! In every other country's mind America is made up entirely of California and New York. Go with Michigan (because I like the word).

Mr. Mud
2008-12-01, 03:27 PM
Maryland's a great place too. Very much fun and would be a good state to be from.

*Marylander high-five*

9 months you, 16 years me, I see no difference :smalltongue:.

Anyways, I think that Maryland would be great. Boating culture, Military influence, relatively bad bookstores? Whats not to love?

Plus, you could use Alarra's endorsement!

DraPrime
2008-12-01, 03:34 PM
Just as low as you can go, baby. :smallamused:

Well...what if I...

*looks around to make sure no one is listening*

*whispers into Moon Called's ear*

That?

:smallfrown: *is offended* Admittedly, I've only lived in Maryland for 9 months, but they're sooooo not southern. :smallsmile:

Maryland makes my "yankee sense" tingle. Clearly it is the south. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2008-12-01, 03:38 PM
District of Columbia. The "not-actually-a-state" state!

And as far as Maryland goes ... I currently live in Northern Virginia. The rest of Virginia thinks we're a bunch of Yankees that ought to be cut off from the rest of the state. If Maryland is north of us, they're definitely not "the South."

Zeful
2008-12-01, 03:40 PM
District of Columbia. The "not-actually-a-state" state!

The commonwealth of Virgina: The place called a state, but never was.

Telonius
2008-12-01, 03:43 PM
So are Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Massacusetts. :smallsmile:

UncleWolf
2008-12-01, 03:53 PM
Missouri, always the last stronghold of resistance in the world.

sktarq
2008-12-01, 04:50 PM
California.
Simple reason-Anybody could come from California. Deserts, Forests (hell we have the big trees-both Redwoods and Sequoia are here) both inhabited and almost untouched, Mountains (Yosemite anyone-Tallest Moutnain in lower 48), Volcanic Black plains (Lassen), Beaches, Almost every imigrant comunity you could think of-and probably two of them (heck with have little AddisAbba for cripes sake), Drugs, Native American Casinos, Big money, no money, Oil towns, huge military bases, hippies (alive and well), cults of any number of sorts (Jonestown? came from SF), Every church you've ever known of and many you haven't, Cotton Farmers, More beaches, Lots of classified contruction/manufacturing (Skunk works/Ratheon/satilite plants, Edwards AFB, JPL), Food farmers (actually California is the number 1 agri-state in the nation) Silicon Valley (for cyber commerce), San Fernando Valley (Cyber sex), Hicks, Cows, Hollywood, Hermits, Ski Resorts, Horse Country (Rodeo or Race style-we have both), Envirmontal messes (poisoned water, Oil spills, Owen's valley), Enviromental movements, Science Labs, Univercity Labs (UC's Stanford, Caltech-I could go on), Better cheese than Minnisota, Anything with the internet (yes allot of it was invented here), Did I mention beaches?, The Bloods, Crypts, the Hells angels, Huge ports, The Mexican Boarder, Overflowing prison system.....

yeah Really doesn't matter who your character is or what kind of history he has. It could happen in the Golden State.

Oh and almost every natural desaster except Hurricanes....Earthquakes, Fires, Tornados, Volcanos, A latent supervolcano, Big Winds, Drought, Floods, Mudslides, Riots, Very bad spelling, El Nino, Tidal Waves, Foriegn pests, I could go on

Mr. Mud
2008-12-01, 05:50 PM
So are Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Massacusetts. :smallsmile:

Are you reading this Drago :smallamused:?

DraPrime
2008-12-01, 05:51 PM
Are you reading this Drago :smallamused:?

My yankee-sense is telling me that this is crap.

wadledo
2008-12-01, 05:55 PM
My yankee-sense is telling me that this is crap.

My yankee sense is backing up his yankee sense, if only to make this conversation even more inane.

Griever
2008-12-01, 06:00 PM
Better, by far, to pick a lesser-known state, so readers won't take the associated history of the state (what they think they know about it, anyway) and stick it with the character.

For instance, if you had a character from Texas, he would have to be a Cowboy, he would have to have a license to carry a concealed weapon, he would have to drive a truck and he would have to use spitoons, otherwise you might be hung. (Which, technically is incorrect, the only offense punishable by a hanging in Texas anymore is stealing horses, but that's besides the point.)

If you're from Florida you have to be either old, famous or a hurricane.

If you're from California, you're either the Governator, a hippie, a movie star or on fire.

If you're from New York you are a Yankee (this one is true, however), big-city pedestrian and all that fun stuff.

I second any of these lesser known states. (North Dakota, South Dakota, Dallas-Dakota, Michigan, N/S Carolina, Washington, etc.)

Felixaar
2008-12-01, 07:40 PM
Something I should've pointed out along time ago, said character is a she.

You make good points about California, though, it's off the list.

...Come on people, we're close! Alaska is out in the lead at the moment, but anything could happen!

Washington
Colorado
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska

Neko Toast
2008-12-01, 07:53 PM
I also say it should be Wisconsin. :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2008-12-01, 07:57 PM
I second any of these lesser known states. (North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, N/S Carolina, Washington, etc.)

Sorta confused on....what a lesser known state is.

And why Michigan is on that list.

OverdrivePrime
2008-12-01, 07:57 PM
Something I should've pointed out along time ago, said character is a she

If the character is a she, then you should absolutely go with Wisconsin. Our women are second to none! It takes a special quality of woman to survive and flourish in the crucible of the Badger State.

(but maybe I'm biased :smallbiggrin:)

Jack Squat
2008-12-01, 08:05 PM
Something I should've pointed out along time ago, said character is a she.

You make good points about California, though, it's off the list.

...Come on people, we're close! Alaska is out in the lead at the moment, but anything could happen!

Washington
Colorado
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska

I would say Washington or Colorado.

Evidence (http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3379700-lg.jpg) for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7tORf-DEyM) Washington (http://www.audubon.org/centennial/images/species/Bald_Eagle_lg2.jpg)

Evidence for Colorado (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/morjana/rda/jack-furling.jpg)

blakyoshi7
2008-12-01, 08:12 PM
...what about Oregon?

Jack Squat
2008-12-01, 08:12 PM
...what about Oregon?

They've got Crater Lake and Hippies.

Coidzor
2008-12-01, 08:18 PM
If you wanna deal with Cheese-heads... Wisconsin. Though, I believe Wisconsin and Minnesota are the two states most made fun of by Canadians for their accent.

Michigan if you want cold-resistance and to talk about barbecues in less than 0 degrees celsius weather (before the cold weather sets in)

Colorado if you want a mix of materialist yuppyism and rural mountains.

North Dakota if you want to deal with rural mountains and hellacious snow drifts as well as having a social commentary on womens' rights and canadian interaction.

West Virginia if you want a poorer rural background as well as some natural beauty.

Kentucky if you want to have the ultimate in bipolar weather and to be able to pick and choose between two islands of some-what well-adjusted inside a sea of poverty and ignorance.

Alaska if you want to make references to corruption and where drug-runners go to lay low... As well as having a wilderness/vampire vacation spot theme that could be drawn upon.

Oregon's got hippies, lots of them, as well as rainforest (non-tropical obviously) and even a deserted wasteland towards the eastern part of the state (I believe that was the one).

Florida's got coporate/real-estate corruption in the form of Disney and the Everglades, orange groves, a tension between southern conservatism, cosmopolitanism and imported cubans, beaches, tourism, and a general sort of impermanence and epheremealism that suits the postmodern palate.

I still say that it's not so much a popularity contest that should determine your selection but actually having something to do with, y'know, the story itself or hell even the character.

starwoof
2008-12-01, 08:21 PM
...what about Oregon?

What about Oregon?

Thes Hunter
2008-12-01, 08:21 PM
If the character is a she, then you should absolutely go with Wisconsin. Our women are second to none! It takes a special quality of woman to survive and flourish in the crucible of the Badger State.

(but maybe I'm biased :smallbiggrin:)

I think I understand somewhat what you mean.... since upon finding out that I am from Out of State many guys utter the words 'Lite weight'. :smallbiggrin:

If you wanna deal with Cheese-heads... Wisconsin. Though, I believe Wisconsin and Minnesota are the two states most made fun of by Canadians for their accent.

Oh yeah... you betcha.

Michigan if you want cold-resistance and to talk about barbecues in less than 0 degrees celsius weather (before the cold weather sets in)

Hey now... that is just sooo stereotypial!

BTW, who wants to come over, I got some steaks I want to grill before it becomes -34F next week. :smallbiggrin:

(( Actually I don't know what you are talking about.. no one I know grills in 32 degree weather. ))

OverdrivePrime
2008-12-01, 08:30 PM
I think I understand somewhat what you mean.... since upon finding out that I am from Out of State many guys utter the words 'Lite weight'. :smallbiggrin:

Booze Tolerance 10 is but a minor aspect of our amazing template. :smallcool:

Luckily for you, Thes Hunter, the "Sconnie" template can be gained after prolonged exposure. Just talk to your DM.

Unfortunately, you won't find many casters among our ranks, due to a hefty level adjustment.

Coidzor
2008-12-01, 09:12 PM
Booze Tolerance 10 is but a minor aspect of our amazing template. :smallcool:

Luckily for you, Thes Hunter, the "Sconnie" template can be gained after prolonged exposure. Just talk to your DM.

Unfortunately, you won't find many casters among our ranks, due to a hefty level adjustment.

Ah, and here I thought it was the Dwarven bloodlines that were so common in the area.

As to the 32F grilling, well, I guess that was mostly in jest. Never could tell with those Michigonian friends of my father...

Innis Cabal
2008-12-01, 09:14 PM
Ah, and here I thought it was the Dwarven bloodlines that were so common in the area.

As to the 32F grilling, well, I guess that was mostly in jest. Never could tell with those Michigonian friends of my father...

Thats a Midwest/Great Lakes thing. We here in Ohio have Winter Surfing, BBQ's, you name it.

Krytha
2008-12-01, 11:48 PM
Thats a Midwest/Great Lakes thing. We here in Ohio have Winter Surfing, BBQ's, you name it.

Not to mention a proud tradition of long suffering sports fans.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-12-02, 02:17 AM
Well, if the character is female, that is all the more reason for her to be from Alaska. Because, as everyone knows, Alaska girls kick... butt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/somewhereinak/2489795452/

Supagoof
2008-12-02, 02:31 AM
Hah. You haven't had a winter BBQ until you've had one where you don't have those great lakes warming you up. (Weather near large bodies of water = warmer.)

Minnesota. It's colder here. :smallwink:Windchill has a meaning.

As for using it as a background for a character, even though we have 6 of the top 10 best cities to live in, I wouldn't. You wouldn't want to have to make your character "use da accent ya'know". :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2008-12-02, 04:54 AM
...what about Oregon?

Oregon would be great, except their are reasons that don't bear explaining why it can't be Oregon :smallfrown:

Cheesegear
2008-12-02, 09:27 AM
Everyone knows the character should come from Nova Scotia...

...*runs*

Zakama
2008-12-02, 09:52 AM
Everyone knows the character should come from Nova Scotia...

...*runs*

That's a good idea actually... If not Wisconsin, Nova Scotia.

Telonius
2008-12-02, 10:11 AM
World's largest militaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_active_troops)

1. China - 2,225,000 active personnel
2. US - 1,447,076
3. India - 1,325,000
4. Russia - 1,037,000
5. North Korea - 1,106,000
6. Pennsylvania during Buck Season (http://www.wpxi.com/news/18178066/detail.html)- approx. 850-900,000

Vagnarok
2008-12-02, 10:23 AM

Washington
Colorado
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska
California

Wisconsin?

WISCONSIN???

Zeb The Troll
2008-12-02, 12:13 PM
Yet my northern elitist instincts tell me that they're stupid southerners. :smalltongue:I'm late to this, but I think the folks at Johns Hopkins, the National Institutes of Health, and the National Security Agency might object to being called "stupid" or "southern", let alone "stupid southerner". :smallcool:

Edit: Whoops!! Forgot to use the :smalltongue: kidding sign. Sorry, but why do you call me redneck? I is sad now. :smallfrown: I am like, the farthest thing from redneck. Rich upbringing(still going on), loving family, angsty teenage years(still goin on). But why? I LYked u! I LYKED YOU!!!!!We must have another MD meetup. Too many of you actual Maryland people missed the last one. :smallamused:

And I vote for Colorado because it's where I was born and it's a state with both real mountains and an actual population density. :smalltongue:

Helgraf
2008-12-02, 12:20 PM

Damn, you sound like you live near me.

late for dinner
2008-12-02, 12:27 PM
Arizona...here is why: I live in Phoenix and i can say that there, while it is the 6th biggest city in the USA, is not much to do here...perfect reason to have your charachter leave the state to find adventure. It's hot too...I love the heat, but it is so damn hot. OUtside of Phoenix, there is really no where to go except the Grand Canyon, which, dont get me wrong, is amazing, but still not a reason to stay in the state...it is a perfect state to come "from"