PDA

View Full Version : Immunity to Fear and being Lawful

JellyPooga
2008-11-30, 10:14 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Immunity to Fear (at least as a class feature or other permanent non-magical effect) appears to be the sole property of those of Lawful alignment?

Sure you can blanket effect immunity to mind-affecting with the Undead or Construct type or gain bonuses against fear or gain specific immunity/bonuses (like against a dragons Frightful Presence) and not be Lawful, but I can't seem to be able to find a non-lawful Immunity to Fear.

Does anyone know of a way to gain Immunity to Fear and not be Lawful (at any stage)?

edit: I only want Immunity to Fear by the way. Immunity to Mind-affecting is an option, but it's one I'll only take if there's no other way....

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-30, 10:27 AM
Can't help you with finding non-lawful immunity to fear, but I can tell you that it's one of the game's sacred cows. Back in 2e when I started playing, lawful NPCs got bonuses to morale checks while chaotic NPCs got penalties. The idea was that lawful personalities believe in something beyond their personal welfare and are therefore more likely to commit to a fight even in the face of imminent death.

Unless your DM buys into that load, you could simply ask him to house rule away the lawful requirement of your favored method of gaining fear immunity.

TS

jcsw
2008-11-30, 10:28 AM
Well, the Non-lawful only Bard gets inspire courage, which is conceptually similar, and gives bonuses against fear.

(Also, what are your available sources...)

Greater Heroism Spells.

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 10:31 AM
Holy Liberator in Complete Warrior is immune to [Compulsion] and fear at level 3, I do believe. Requires a Chaotic Good alignment.

There are probably a couple of Dragon related features that grant immunity to fear. I'll take a look in Dragon Magic in a sec, but I don't have Races of the Dragon or the Draconomicon.
EDIT: Nope, only Dragonfire Adept4 gives you immunity to the Frightening Presence of dragons, no total immunity though.

Occult Slayer and Illithid Slayer both gain complete immunity to [Mind Affecting] which would include all fear effects.

Not a class features, but Hero's Feast grants total immunity to fear effects for 12 hours. 6th level Cleric spell, but availabile by other means (such as Cornicopia of the Needful (Yollonda Relic).

Adumbration
2008-11-30, 10:33 AM
Leviathan Hunter from Stormwrack. Immunity to Fear as the 5th level capstone ability. (The class is awesome, by the way.)

JellyPooga
2008-11-30, 10:35 AM
Holy Liberator in Complete Warrior is immune to [Compulsion] and fear at level 3, I do believe. Requires a Chaotic Good alignment.

No immunity to fear, just Compulsion (IIRC)

There are probably a couple of Dragon related features that grant immunity to fear. I'll take a look in Dragon Magic in a sec, but I don't have Races of the Dragon or the Draconomicon.

I unfortunately don't have Dragon Mag access and the only immunity to feat RotD an Draconomnicon give are vs Frightful Presence.

Occult Slayer and Illithid Slayer both gain complete immunity to [Mind Affecting] which would include all fear effects.

yeah, Occult Slayer is my back-up blanket Immunity to Mind-Affecting, but as I say...it's back up

jcsw
2008-11-30, 10:40 AM
...Quick Search on crystalkeep comes up

Black flame zealot, PrC, Complete Divine.
Hammer of Moradin, PrC, Players Guide to Faerun
Lion of Talsid, PrC, Book of Exalted Deeds

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 10:41 AM
I unfortunately don't have Dragon Mag access and the only immunity to feat RotD an Draconomnicon give are vs Frightful Presence.

Not the Dragon Magazines, the book, Dragon Magic. And no, there really isn't anything in there.

AmberVael
2008-11-30, 11:32 AM
Possessing the Dream domain gives you Immunity to Fear.
There is the feat Fearless. (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fearless,all)

ChaosDefender24
2008-11-30, 11:40 AM
Dragonslayer 1...

jcsw
2008-11-30, 11:42 AM
...If you need immunity to being lawful, there's always protection from law...

Malfunctioned
2008-11-30, 12:02 PM

Actually that's in Complete Divine IIRC

Thurbane
2008-11-30, 02:11 PM
1 level of Legendary Leader (HoB)?

Darrin
2008-11-30, 02:52 PM
Possessing the Dream domain gives you Immunity to Fear.
There is the feat Fearless. (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fearless,all)

You can pick up any Domain ability with the Planar Touchstone feat, linking to the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Requires 8 ranks of Knowledge: the Planes, though.

Undead are also usually immune to fear. Necropolitan template might work? Also, Lolth-Touched template grants immunity to fear... only +1 LA.

mabriss lethe
2008-11-30, 03:40 PM
A 6th level binder is immune to fear as long as he has a vestige bound at the time. With Improved Binding, you can bind Agares at 5th level, One of his granted powers is an immunity to fear. With Binders, you need only be lawful if you're going into KotSS PrC

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-30, 03:46 PM
While I can understand why lawful class ideas might be more likely to produce fear immunity (cold, calculating, distant) I don't think that it ought to be a monopoly.

Moriato
2008-11-30, 06:17 PM
Lion of Talsid, PrC, Book of Exalted Deeds

This happens to be my very favorite PrC. You can find it here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031004b

You have to be Nuetral good to enter, and you have to have an animal companion as a class feature, and be able to cast summon nature's ally II, so druid or ranger unless you can find some other way to get those. But it give you this at level 1:

Lion's Courage (Ex): A lion of Talisid is immune to fear (magical or otherwise) and gains a +4 sacred bonus on Will saves against other mind-affecting spells and effects.

Plus full spellcasting, 3/4 BAB, good fort and will, haste 1 round per class level per day, a holy word-like Su ability, scent, POUNCE, and improves your animal companion. Come to think of it, it's probably just a wee bit overpowered, lol. Fun though.