PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Maps Question

dbmeboy
2008-12-02, 01:51 PM
What would you guys recommend for making maps (4e, if that matters)? Currently the best I can do for making maps is printing out graph paper and drawing them. The problems are that I'm not a great artist and printing maps out on 8.5"x11" paper with one inch grids makes leaves me with not much room before making awkward multi-page maps. I'm currently experimenting with 1 cm square grids, which are nice for map drawing but I suspect will not be so nice once it comes time to play on them. What do you guys prefer for map drawing/displaying in game?

RTGoodman
2008-12-02, 01:57 PM
Go to your local Staples, Office Depot, or other similar store. Buy yourself a sheet of normal poster paper, a yardstick/meterstick, and a Sharpie, and then draw a one-inch square grid on said paper using the Sharpie and yardstick. Tack that back to Staples/wherever and have them laminate it for a couple of bucks. Now, just grab some water-soluble, wet-erase markers and go to town drawing out everything when, conveniently, erases with a little bit of water and a paper towel!

If you don't want to do it yourself, Crystal Caste (http://www.crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=CM) and Chessex (http://chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_&_Megamats.htm) both sell some nice vinyl mats with both grids AND hexes, but their a little pricier. Occasionally you can find some with minor defects, and they usually sell those for a LOT cheaper, like these Factory Seconds (http://chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_&_Megamats2nds.htm) from Chessex.

Lord Tataraus
2008-12-02, 02:14 PM
What would you guys recommend for making maps (4e, if that matters)? Currently the best I can do for making maps is printing out graph paper and drawing them. The problems are that I'm not a great artist and printing maps out on 8.5"x11" paper with one inch grids makes leaves me with not much room before making awkward multi-page maps. I'm currently experimenting with 1 cm square grids, which are nice for map drawing but I suspect will not be so nice once it comes time to play on them. What do you guys prefer for map drawing/displaying in game?

Are we talking cartography, dungeon layouts for DMing, or a battle grid? If the former then rtg0922 has your answer. If you're talking either cartography or dungeon layouts, invest in a pad of grid paper which usually have enough room for mostly anything you want to make, all you need to do is mess with the scale. Another option would be to use Gimp or Photoshop and draw on the computer against a girded background or combination like I do sometimes where I draw the map outlines and specifics by hand then scan in the drawing and either lift out the outlines or trace over them and complete it on the computer.

OverdrivePrime
2008-12-02, 02:25 PM
I got a 3' x 5' piece of plexiglass and used a straight-edge and razor to score a 1" grid into the back of it. Then I took a black sharpie and ran over the grid, and wiped off what bled outside of the grid. I've been using it for six years, and it holds up well. I use dry-erase markers on the un-scored side, and can also lay the grid over any map I find or draw up. Making the plexiglass piece took a little while, but it really wasn't expensive and didn't take much in the way of tools or competence.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-02, 02:43 PM
On the line of 1" grid maps, you can buy poster paper with the 1" grids already printed on them. I think they cost $30 for a 3Pak at Office Max/Office Depot.

You can predraw your dungeons, then cover the various areas with PostIt pads. removing the PostIts as the party delves deeper into your lair.

I'm as non-artistic as they come, but this technique worked well for me.

dbmeboy
2008-12-02, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll either buy some poster paper or just mess with scale since we don't have many miniatures anyways.