PDA

View Full Version : My C drive apparently wants to be a magician

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-12-03, 02:55 AM
Ok, I was having a few issues (blue screen o' death popping up from time to time), and HP told me all I needed to do was reseat my RAM. Which I went and did, and now everything is fine and dandy in that respect. But, Since I was downloading some stuff today, and installing a game, I went into My Computer, and clicked on the C drive to see how much space I actually had left. Before I opened my laptop and fixed the memory I had a little over 60 Gigs of free space on the drive. Now, I magically have 3 1/2 gigs free. I'm not exactly sure how I mysteriously filled around 57 Gigs in the last day and a half or so. I apparently now have a ton of immovable files (which I found out when I went to defrag the drive), and so far, Norton hasn't turned up a virus. I"m currently waiting for HP tech support to talk to me online, but since it's late, I may just do it tomorrow. But I'm not really sure how on earth I lost that much free space on my drive, or why I have so damn many immovable files suddenly.

randman22222
2008-12-03, 03:08 AM
Ok, I was having a few issues (blue screen o' death popping up from time to time), and HP told me all I needed to do was reseat my RAM. Which I went and did, and now everything is fine and dandy in that respect. But, Since I was downloading some stuff today, and installing a game, I went into My Computer, and clicked on the C drive to see how much space I actually had left. Before I opened my laptop and fixed the memory I had a little over 60 Gigs of free space on the drive. Now, I magically have 3 1/2 gigs free. I'm not exactly sure how I mysteriously filled around 57 Gigs in the last day and a half or so. I apparently now have a ton of immovable files (which I found out when I went to defrag the drive), and so far, Norton hasn't turned up a virus. I"m currently waiting for HP tech support to talk to me online, but since it's late, I may just do it tomorrow. But I'm not really sure how on earth I lost that much free space on my drive, or why I have so damn many immovable files suddenly.

FAT format? :smallconfused:
FAT does that. Needs a liposuction (formatting). Or at least, that's how I do it.

EDIT: @V: No clue then. :smallconfused:

2008-12-03, 03:24 AM
Nope, it's NTFS.

Xyk
2008-12-04, 11:55 PM
Well my guess is these immovable files are taking up 57 gigs of space and should be formatted away.

Second guess is you bumped your hard-drive while putting in your memory and may have unhooked it.

Lemur
2008-12-05, 12:38 AM
You might want to scan with a different virus scanner, as doing scans with different programs can provide a more complete scan.

Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) is good for this, since it's a free online scanner that doesn't require a program to be installed.

Kuma Da
2008-12-05, 12:46 AM
It's definitely not a virus. I'm not aware of any that do that, and the odds of an infection choosing the moment right after you fixed your RAM to strike are pretty low.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem might be, and rather than give advice I'll trust the folks over at tech support to fix it.

Ponce
2008-12-05, 12:47 AM
Try checking some of the files in Windows Defender. Once found it had created a 30 gigabyte log file or some such.

Try actually searching through your folders to see where all the bulk is, if anywhere.

Try the disk cleanup utility?

2008-12-05, 01:13 AM
yeah, I've done disk cleanup, defragged the drive, and several other things. HP tech support suggested the best course of action is to reformat the drive, so that's what I'm going to do. I just have to go get a pack of CD's first, since it's going to take 15 of them to back up everything from the recovery drive.

Ponce
2008-12-05, 01:24 AM
yeah, I've done disk cleanup, defragged the drive, and several other things. HP tech support suggested the best course of action is to reformat the drive, so that's what I'm going to do. I just have to go get a pack of CD's first, since it's going to take 15 of them to back up everything from the recovery drive.

Holy vanishing bytes, batman!

I really wonder what it did. A mystery I guess. Toss it in the bin with V's gender.