PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner Campaign (3rd or possibly 3.5Edition)

UncleWolf
2008-12-05, 11:05 PM
Okay, I have the plot pretty much figured out, but I still need a little help since I don't have a copy of the MM anywhere near me (it currently resides about 3 hours away).

I have replaced the Replicants with Doppelgangers. Here is where I need a little help. I can figure the HP and stuff for them later, but my question is this:

Should I give them classes? If so, which ones?
Also, what level would you recommend the players to start at?

(there will be about 4-6 players)

Debihuman
2008-12-13, 11:31 PM
Well, ask your players at what level they would like to start. I've normally started campaigns at relatively low levels (usually 1st level but occasionally at 3rd level).

A typical doppelganger has 4 hit dice and CR of 3 so you may want to start your campaign a little higher--especially if you give the doppelgangers any class levels.

Debby

DracoDei
2008-12-14, 04:42 AM
Since they are just initially built to look like anything, and last I checked couldn't CHANGE there looks, I have no idea why you are using dopplegangers...

Debihuman
2008-12-14, 12:27 PM
I'd guess because a "doppelganger can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. In humanoid form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks. A doppelganger can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form." Bolded for emphasis.

A doppleganger can indeed change its looks. I'm not sure that they fit the niche of replicants however.

You might be better off looking at D20 Future for this.

Debby

smart thog
2008-12-14, 12:35 PM
Heavily upgraded warforged.

DracoDei
2008-12-14, 02:48 PM
A doppleganger can indeed change its looks.
That was actually exactly my point... I didn't think the replicants COULD change their looks once they were made... I thought they just could ORIGINALLY be made to order...

RS14
2008-12-14, 04:20 PM
Well, this is probably coming too late to help, but I would definitely give them class levels just for the variety. As for level, I'd probably start at 5. Note that at level 9, the cleric gets access to True Seeing, which may make them too easy to discover.

I think they're a valid substitute for replicants. They're not the same, no, but in most D&D settings, non-humans are nothing to blink an eye at anyway. Doppelgangers, like replicants, could seem threatening to any society they were hiding in.

I might also consider giving Doppelgangers a Str and Con bonus. The film makes a fairly big deal out of the physical advantages the replicants have over Deckard. Maybe give them Imp. Unarmed Strike and Imp. Grapple just for this reason, either as bonus feats or substituted for the Doppelganger's usual feats.

golentan
2008-12-14, 04:31 PM
D20 modern/future from the msrd almost CERTAINLY suits this better. Most of the basic rules are the same, so you don't have to learn much new stuff. Oh, and did I mention that the section on robots has a category for Synthetic Life, like a simulant or replicant? Plus, you know, they stat out guns that have been used in the past 200 years, not just flintlock muskets.

You can port in classes from dnd if that's why you want to use the 3.X, but again they have more modern flavored material available, in the form of "advanced classes" (level 3+).

Link is here. (http://www.dominion-x.net/d20-msrd/index.html)