PDA

View Full Version : [Portrait] Donovan Silverwind (DONE)

Everyman
2005-12-02, 04:55 PM
DONOVAN SILVERWIND

There is fresh snow everywhere, and in the distance you can see a clearing, where a quaint little town has settled. The thick smoke from chimneys seems to dance in the air, mingling with the snowfall, so it appears as one giant snowflake. Perhaps it is the wind, but there is an element of excitement in the air. In the golden light streaming from windows, one can see holy and bells, candles and burning incense, and all manner of festive ribbons decorating the usually drab wooden ceilings. The whole village seems to be waiting with baited breath, and even the oldest citizens seem to have a childlike sparkle in their eyes.

You’ve watched the skies, just as the people here have. You know the solstice is coming. You know that it is only a matter of days before Winter Lights return, and the sky is lit up by the brilliant hues of the heavens. You smile, and turn to walk to the inn. Suddenly, your foot slips and you tumble down an embankment, heading straight for the lake. The craggy ice looms before you, and you close your eyes right before you strike the surface.

But you never hit. Startled, you open your eyes in time to notice yourself slowing floating towards the safety of the town. You are not going to hit the ice tonight. As you approach the sturdy shore, a beautiful, yet calming, voice fills the air. You feel your feet touch the surface, and turn to the lake that for a while held such dread. Floating mere inches away from you is an apparition.

A man, clad in a crimson cloak, smiles at your surprised reaction. His fiery orange hair stands out far too well against the cobalt sky, and his sparkling blue eyes seem to hold more emotion and experience than one could fathom. His translucent appearance is only accented by the slight fog coming off the icy water, and his obvious otherworldly nature is both frightening and inviting. He gestures toward the inn, and in a clear, friendly voices says, “Welcome to Durkentam, my friend. Please, head inside. You must be chilled.”

He starts to fade away, and you call out to thank him. He merely smiles again, and says, “No need. It was my joy to one who holds such vigor during this time of brotherhood and good will.” And with that, he fades into the night, leaving you standing in the warm light of the inn.

CHARACTER HISTORY
There have been very few poets and musicians in the world that could claim to have the spirit and vigor of song that Donovan Silverwind has. His music has always been there to calm the angry, to bolster the downtrodden, and to make any child smile. It has always been his way in life…and death.

Donovan grew up in a small mountain town known as Durkentam. While not the most prosperous place to grow up, Durkentam thrived on a near constant tourist season, due to the elder’s decision to build their town in one clear spots on the planet to witness the Winter Lights, an annual natural event when the air seems to be filled with a prismatic aura for a few hours. In addition to the Lights, the town is known for its gentle townsfolk and excellent craftsmanship with wood. With such a beautiful spectacle like the Winter Lights to inspire him, Donovan became an accomplished poet and fiddler. In fact, that is exactly how Donovan supported his family during most of his adult life: half of his earnings went straight home, to supply the family with the extra money so they too could enjoy the wondrous season.

Eventually the nobles of neighboring cities recognized Donovan’s skill, and they invited him to play for them at a winter party. If he did well enough, they promised him a permanent position with the local orchestra and a small stipend to live off for the rest of his life. Unfortunately, this was to take place mere days before the Winter Lights, and to go would almost certainly cause him to miss the Lights, which would have been the first time in his life. The winter had been unusually harsh though, and he knew his family, even if they would be upset because he left, needed to the gold. Donovan quickly returned his answer to the dukes and nobles. He would be there.

The party was a smashing success. Never before had Donovan played so beautifully. Everyone loved his music, and he stood to accept the praise of the entire party. Moments later, Donovan was dead.

Right after the audience cheered, bandits attacked the party. In the confusion, with guards and rogues battling fiercely, a stray arrow pierced Donovan’s heart. He knew before he even hit the ground that it was over. Perhaps it was the very mystic nature of the season, his will to play, or even the power of his music, but Donovan Silverwind did not leave the world. The day after his funeral, the sky opened up and the Winter Lights appeared again, the only known time when they appeared twice in the same year. On that day, people swore that they saw Donovan wandering near the lake, his favored spot to write and practice music, wearing the same crimson cloak he wore to his performance. The sightings continued.

Donovan knew what he was now, and silently cursed his new nature. He was spirit now. No longer could he play his wonderful music, as he lacked any instrument. He now had to settle for a life of loneliness. At least, that’s what he thought…

Years later, a band of mercenaries descended into the town and captured the town officials, holding them hostage. They wanted everyone to bring all the wealth in the town to the mercenaries’ caravan, or else the officials (as well as everyone they could catch) would be killed immediately. The townsfolk reluctantly began to bring everything to the bandits. Money, crafts, toys, decorations, and everything else the thugs thought was of value was gathered up. Before long, all the wealth was collected, and the thugs made their final request: five young girls to “accommodate” them on their journey. The townsfolk were horrified, but they knew they couldn’t hope to survive a direct conflict with these men. When they were all about to break down from the awful nature of these men, the head of the mercenaries turned to the two nearest soldiers, drove his swords through both of them, and then slit his own throat.

Suddenly the air was filled with singing, both bold and courageous. Donovan manifested in front of the thieves and demanded they leave. And with a flick of his wrist, he sent another of thugs flying through the air. His declaration was something to behold…

“I am Donovan Silverwind, and these are my people. You have trespassed on our land, and have threatened the lives of people I hold dear. Though I may not be among them, I pledge that no one will ever threaten my family, my friends, and my brothers.”

Needless to say, the men ran in fear.

From that day on, Donovan has taken on a duel nature in the town. On one hand, he is an ever vigilante guardian of the town and the local forest. Whenever any one is in danger, you can be sure that Donovan will rush to assist as quickly as he can. In addition, his hundreds of years wandering the world have given him time to refine his skills. He has become a very accomplished singer, conductor for the local musician’s guild, and leads the town’s yearly celebration of the Winter Lights. Donovan Silverwind is not alone. In fact, he is the very spirit of the season.

STAT BLOCK
Donovan Silverwind (CR 15)
Human Ghost Bard 13
NG Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
Init: +4
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Listen +13, Spot +8
Aura: None
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

AC: When ethereal, all ACs are 10. When manifested, all ACs are 17
HP: 90 (13d12 HD)
Immune:
Undead: Mind Affecting, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, critical hits, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue and exhaustion effects. Immune to everything requiring a fortitude save. No need to eat, drink, or sleep.
Incorpreal: Can not be affected by material plane, magic has a 50% chance of affecting
Fort: +4, Ref: +8, Will: +8

Speed: fly 30 ft. (perfect) (6 squares)
Melee: None
Ranged: None
Base Atk: +9; Grp: +8
Attack Options: Frightful Moan (Su)[Will DC 23], Malevolence (Su) [Will DC 22, CL 13], Telekinesis (Su) [Will DC 23, CL 13]
Special Actions: Manifestation (Su), Spellcasting
Spells Known: CL 13<3/5/5/5/3/1>, Save DC 17 + spell level (DC 18 + spell level for Enchantments)
0 level: Dancing Lights, Flare, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation
1st level: Comprehend Languages, Hideous Laughter, Hypnotism, Ventriloquism
2nd level: Calm Emotions, Enthrall, Shatter, Tongues
3rd level: Charm Monster, Glibness, Cure Serious Wounds, Scrying
4th level: Break Enchantment, Hold Monster, Shout
5th level: Mind Fog, Song of Discord
Deity: No specific deity, though he does pay homage to Olidammara before festivities.
Spell-Like/Power-Like Abilities: Bardic Music (countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +2, inspire compentance, suggestion, inspire greatness, song of freedom (can’t utilize this ability till he has an audible Perform 15 skill)

Abilities Str 9, Dex 10, Con --, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 24
Special Qualities: Rejuvenation, Bardic Knowledge +14
Feats: Dodge, Persuasive (B), Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Perform [String Instruments]), Spell Focus (Enchant), Skill Focus (Perform [Sing])
Skills: Appraise 3, Balance 2, Bluff 18, Concentration 12, Craft (String Instrument) 9, Diplomacy 14, Gather Information 22, Hide 8, Jump 4, Knowledge (Geography) 4, Knowledge (History) 4, Knowledge (Local) 16, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) 6, Listen 13, Perform (Dance) 15, Perform (String Instruments) 18, Perform (Sing) 20, Search 9, Sense Motive 12, Spot 8, Tumble 5
Ghostly Possessions: Crimson Dress Cloak, White shirt, black dress trousers, black leather boots

TACTICS
Donovan is without any direct physical means to engage opponents. However, he rarely has to, considering the average person lacks the ability to even strike him and magic works only half the time. When Donovan enters combat he tries to catch his opponent by surprise. He is usually nonviolent, so he tries to subdue opponents rather than kill them.
1st Round: Remain ethereal until near opponents. Cast Mind Fog to weaken their wills and make his spells and abilities harder to resist. If this doesn't seem to show results, return to ethereal plane and manuever to another location.
2nd Round: Frightful Moan if no innocent people are near by. If there are, he uses Telekinesis to lift opponents and slam them into one another.
3rd Round: Inspire Courage to bolster his allies, or Shatter on dangerous weapons if fighting alone.
4th Round: Charm Monster an opponent to force them to subdue allies or to stop fighting (if he is alone).
5th Round: Repeat tactics listed in 2nd round (if possible).

ADVENTURE HOOKS
* There has been rumors that someone has found and identified Donovan's old fiddle, which he treasured dearly. If anyone could recover and return it, there is sure to be a great reward.
* Bandits that Donovan has chased away have convinced clerics that there is a rogue spirit that threatens the town. Donovan is under constant fear of being driven away (or even controlled), so the PCs could earn a great deal of respect from Donovan and the town if they succeed in stopping the clerics' crusades.
* A rogue druid has declared the area of Durkentam a sacred location, and demands that the people leave to preserve "natural order" or suffer the consequences. This druid poses a serious danger to Durkentam, and Donovan is looking for adventurers who will assist him in stopping these threats.
* There has been an unusual dark fog around Durkentam, and the locals fear that they will prevent the Winter Lights from being seen this year. Donovan is willing to pay handsomely if someone could move the fog and find its source.

Everyman
2005-12-29, 09:04 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you (in glorious color) Donovan Silverwind.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/pyxlmyx/Web%20Art/f76ce4c6.jpg
EDIT: Now with the Winter Lights in the background. :)

Everyman
2006-01-01, 11:37 PM
I'M DONE! w00t!
;D ;D ;D

Comments are welcome and desired please. Please let me know if I miswrote something.

Phasm
2006-01-02, 01:51 AM
He's a rock 'n roll souljer! ;) Hot spiced cider to those who get the reference.

I like your art; it's surprising to see both artistic and game mechanic talent in the same place. Simple, but it portrays the character and setting quite well.

And it's nice to see a benevolent ghostly character who's actually appreciated by those he protects. Most ghosts one sees are of the malevolent variety, or misunderstood benevolent spirits where somehow, nobody ever makes the connection between the ghost and events like small children being rescued. ::) Even when the ghost has been haunting the same location for hundreds of years. I applaud the fact that the people of Durkenham have common sense and compassion for their resident ghost!

Everyman
2006-01-03, 11:14 PM
I like your art; it's surprising to see both artistic and game mechanic talent in the same place. Simple, but it portrays the character and setting quite well.

*Blush*
Awww...shucks. Thanks for the comment! ;D