PDA

View Full Version : Units of Erf-world

SeraphRainy
2008-12-07, 04:42 PM
Hiya Ive been reading this comic for quite some time but recently re-read teh archive and took time to get on the forums.

It shouldnt bug me but it does that I recognise or can put a puropose to most of the units in erfworld but some remain beyond me.

Things like Gobwins and Dwagons are easily identifiable and other things fit with themes or replacements of other fantasy things. (IE: cloth-golems and sourmanders are replacements for heavies and cavalry while making a stark contrast to rock golems and spidew cavalry. And even the marbits are somewhat familier like dwarf/halfling crossbreeds... That are pink... With axes.)

But if you have any Ideas on these units, were they came from, resemblance to other things, or explaniation it would be a welcome satiation to my curiousity.

As follows:

Henchmen/ Knights: I like em and they seem a little like orcs but theyre a liiittle to powerful seeming to be orcs and theyre orange. Awsome all in all.

tcotchkes: these were the clear things that appeared in mount/golem size or page 9 looking like animals. My first thought was bubbles to go along with the cutsy theme but my next was like glass ornaments or figurines.

Pikers: it said in Parsons clog that they had 200 something pikers. Are these men, gobwins or henchmen. Dont think it says explicitly but I welcome speculaition.

Unipegitars: yeah weve all seen em and they look straight forward but what kind of combinaition of power could they be.

Various Elves/marbits/gobwins: These are pretty simple but my favorit character. Any thoughts on alligance, capital, origin, or possible leaders.

K2
2008-12-07, 05:23 PM
the over all leader of the elves appears to be one of the superfluous elves. In more that one scene he is shown sitting at the council table with Ansom and the other coalition members.

Other than that, I can't really help you

DevilDan
2008-12-07, 06:04 PM
"Tchotchke" is an actual word, meaning a sort of ornament or trinket. Little glass figurines would be a classic tchothcke.

Pikers are probably just "pikemen." Note that "piker" is also British slang for a bum or vagrant.

Some of the henchmen are "twolls," and like trolls in some RPGs, they can regenerate.

Unipegataurs are the ultimate combination of mythological horse-like creatures, pegasus, unicorns, and centaurs.

We've seen other mounts, something like dachshunds with horns, which I've alternatively called horndogs or corndogs. (First panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0034.html))

SeraphRainy
2008-12-07, 07:03 PM
I remember that with the elves but there have been other elven leaders. The wood spirit for starters. (Also I wonder about the marbit leader.)

___

Ah I did think it could be something like trinkets yet never realy sounded out the pronounciation to figure it.

Well the piekmen arent neccesarily men. In fact I think its unlikely that they are. Since we see very few humans around GK. It would seem more probable to me thatthe henchmen type creature would be the norm of GK armies not actual men. Thats a coalition think. Or even more probably the Gobwins themselves are the dominant force. When Parson and Stanley reviewed the troops they walked past gobwin pikers or spearmen. (Possibly them.)

Ok I see the twoll thing but the twolls seem different than the henchmen. In the remaining troop lists it distinguishes the Spidew cavalry(AKA: Stanleys knights) from Twoll heavies, suggesting that they are something different. It would seem to me that the heavies are twolls more like Bogroll and the knights are something different.

Heh corndogs.:smallbiggrin:

BRC
2008-12-07, 07:08 PM
I think the Henchmen and Knights have been identified as "Hobogobwins"

T-O-E
2008-12-07, 07:16 PM
The pikers aren't necessarily human, for example, the knights are simply '
'knights', not 'hobgobwin knights'.