PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept - Breath Weapon Boosts?

Diarmuid
2008-12-08, 01:42 PM
So I'm aware of the benefit from the MM feat "Ability Focus", but would any of the other similar feats (Quicken/Empower/Maximize Spell-like Ability) work to boost the DFa's breath weapon?

It's listed as a supernatural ability, and I havent really been able to figure out a good way to determine the effective spell level necessary to determine when those feats would be applicable.

I dont have my book in front of me right now, so I cant see if the "Breath Effects" have levels listed like Warlock Essence/Blast Shape invocations do.

Thoughs?

Ascension
2008-12-08, 01:59 PM
I'm also away from books, but I think the metabreath feats (like metamagic for breath attacks) are in the Dragonomicon. Those would be what you're looking for.

Mephit
2008-12-08, 02:01 PM
I'm also away from books, but I think the metabreath feats (like metamagic for breath attacks) are in the Dragonomicon. Those would be what you're looking for.

Technically, no. You need to have a breath weapon with a recharge time to take those feats. There are ways around that, but in the end, it comes down to wether your DM wants to let you take it or stick to RAW.

And you can't apply Quick/Empower/etc SLA to your breath, since it's not an SLA, but a Su Ability.

Google the handbook.

Diarmuid
2008-12-08, 02:03 PM
Those are only applicable if your breath weapon has a recharge expressed in rounds. And yes, while I understand that you can qualify for that by being a dragonborn, and that nothing specifically says you cannot apply those feats to breath weapons that do not have such a timer...

....I try not to cheese my DM whenever possible.

Ascension
2008-12-08, 02:21 PM
Oh. I didn't realize the Dragonfire Adept didn't have a recharge timer. I just assumed it would, to keep you from spamming your breath weapon... but now that I actually look at the class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) it seems the entire point is to spam your breath weapon. Sorry, I shouldn't have tried to answer the question based on insufficient data.

Keld Denar
2008-12-08, 03:37 PM
About the only way to increase your DC is to increase your CON, increase your HD, take Ability Focus, and use Heighten Breath (which requires you to gain a recharge timer on your BW).

Increase your CON with templates like Dragonborn and races with CON bonuses. A Dragonborn Dwarf has a +4 CON, and a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk has a +6 CON. Buying a +CON enhancment item increases your DC, as do spells with non-enhancement bonuses like Valiant Fury (Moral bonus).

Increase your HD with a party bard who uses Inspire Greatness on you.

Heighten Breath increase your recharge timer, but allows you to increase the DC of your breath by up to your CON bonus. Thus, if you had a 20 CON, you'd get +5 DC from CON normally, and you could increase your recharge 5 rounds to get another +5 DC if you choose.

Check out JanusJones' DFA handbook. There is a feat in there, Power Surge or something, that allows you to increase the DC of an At Will ability by 1-2 points which gives it a recharge timer of 1d4 rounds. Its in a Dragon Mag somewhere. Check with your DM if this feat will allow you to add Metabreath feats to your breaths.

And of course, take Entangling Exhalation (RotD). Its pretty much amazing as a DFA, as it gives you a goodly deal of control every round. It drops your damage a bit, but then again, thats what PAing Fighters and TWF Rogues are there to do.

Diarmuid
2008-12-08, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. DM so far is barely on-board with allowing dragonborn as it is, he was not terribly keen on dragonborn with additional racial bonuses.

He's also not much for allowing Dragon Mag options into the game.

So far, sounds like I'm on point as much as is possible, Dragonborn for 20 Con, and Ability Focus w/o finagling in an additional breath weapon with a timer for the metabreaths.

Sinfire Titan
2008-12-08, 03:45 PM
There are Su versions of Maximize and Empower SLA in the Tome of Magic, but those are 1/day. They also have the Sudden Ability Focus, which stacks with the normal Ability Focus.

And becoming a Dragonborn gives you a Con boost. And a Breath Weapon with a recharge time, if you want it.

Abbott
2008-12-08, 03:48 PM
Tome of Magic has a few feats concerning Supernatural Abilities. They're meant for Binders, but I think they could possibly be useful for others too.

Diarmuid
2008-12-08, 03:50 PM
Abbott/ST, I'll take a look in Tome, but historically this DM is not a fan of the book.

ColdSepp
2008-12-08, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. DM so far is barely on-board with allowing dragonborn as it is, he was not terribly keen on dragonborn with additional racial bonuses.

He's also not much for allowing Dragon Mag options into the game.

So far, sounds like I'm on point as much as is possible, Dragonborn for 20 Con, and Ability Focus w/o finagling in an additional breath weapon with a timer for the metabreaths.

A Dragonborn gets a separate Breath Weapon, which /does/ have a recharge defined in rounds, and is thus eligible for Metabreath Feats. So, a DFAdabt has its Class breath weapon, and it's racial breath weapon. Metabreath feats only require that you have a recharge time in rounds to take, after that they can be added to any breath weapon.

See the Handbook for a better explanation.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=780301

Draz74
2008-12-08, 05:01 PM
I was going to point out the Tome of Magic feats, but I was also going to say they're pretty weak for 1/day.

Your DM shouldn't have a problem with them, though, as they're (1) weak, and (2) not necessarily related at all to any of the new magic systems in this book (binding, shadowcasting, truenaming). They're found in the Binder section and can be used by Binders, but they can be used just as well by anything with a [Su] special attack.

But more importantly, check out the Dragon Spirit Cincture item from Magic Item Compendium. +1d6 damage to your breath weapon for only 2k. Also +1 Save DC for your breath if you have the right weapon. My current DFA build that I'm working on carries around a +1 Screaming Longspear with Least Crystals of Energy (fire and electric), just as a cheap way of boosting her save DC. And Gauntlets of Energy Transformation, just in case she has the wrong Crystal stuck to the spear in a battle. (That was several more (cheap) MIC items, there.)