PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Error

tribble
2008-12-08, 01:45 PM
last saturday I was working on a word document when my computer froze. I rebooted and got a blue screen of death. the error message I got was INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE. my computer was put together from used parts, so I dont have a manual or a list of hardware. what's wrong with my computer? is it possible to fix?

kamikasei
2008-12-08, 01:49 PM
a) This should probably be in Friendly Banter (you can ask a mod to move it). More likely to get responses there.
b) What other resources do you have access to? Can you download a large file and burn it to CD? (If so you can try getting a live CD of something like Ubuntu or Knoppix and using it to see if the hard drive still seems to have all its data.)
c) You may want to check whether the drive has a loose connection or something.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-09, 02:40 PM
last saturday I was working on a word document when my computer froze. I rebooted and got a blue screen of death. the error message I got was INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE. my computer was put together from used parts, so I dont have a manual or a list of hardware. what's wrong with my computer? is it possible to fix?

I was writing a paper... on the PC... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceV9K0zxd_s)

OK, one question... did you have AVG? Because this happened to my cousing the other day...

valadil
2008-12-09, 02:47 PM
Sounds like something's up with your hard drive. Either it's corrupt or its dead. Can you see the hard drive from your BIOS?

And I'll second the idea of using a live CD.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-09, 02:49 PM
While we're on it, can you use a Live CD to access a computer's Hard Drive files and make a backup? It would have been really useful back then...

valadil
2008-12-09, 03:27 PM
Yes, if you boot the knoppix live CD you will be able to read from your hard drives, if they still work.